Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 10:07   #61
KPR
BANNED

Re: Cars that you regret NOT buying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I regret not buying the Swift 8 years back (I bought the Polo instead).

At that time, I was spooked about the 'brake' issues on the swift, and decided to steer clear of it.
The short test drive also did not help matters.

Later, when I got to spend some substantial time on a friend's swift, i realized what a fun car it is.
I sold my diesel swift (2012 model) for the same spongy brakes. I had horrid times with them in highways. I don't know if brakes are still the same in new gen models.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 10:22   #62
BHPian

I was 7 when my dad bought the Beat in 2010. My dad did look around for some cars (i10, Ritz, Dzire, Punto, Vista and Beat IIRC). I had no idea when he was searching for a car back then. But if I was 17 at the time he was buying a car, I would have for sure persuaded him to buy the CRUZE. What a car, I still remember when my dad took us to the showroom for test driving the Beat and booking it thereafter, there was this Atlantis Blue Cruze LT stand in tthe showroom. I do remember sitting on the driver's seat. I was blown away with that car. I remember my uncle telling me that the Cruze costed 12.5 lacs, which was out of budget as my dad had capped his budget at 5lacs max. Till date, there is no car in the market that gave me the same feeling the Cruze gave me when I first looked at it. Heck, in 2017, when Chevy was leaving, I tried convincing my dad to get an automatic Cruze by exchanging our Beat. But the Beat was very reliable and it was doing its duty in the way it was supposed to. Atleast whenever we buy a new car, I hope I get the opportunity to persuade my dad to get a used Cruze .
saikishor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:33   #63
BHPian

I would name the car which I could have bought but didn't buy in favor of some other car and regret it.

Skoda Yeti

I could have bought a pre-owned Yeti in 2016 instead of buying a Brezza Zdi+
Unfortunately, there wasn't any good example in the market and didn't have patience to wait. My other ride is Jetta MK6 and that sweet 2.0 tdi make me regret it almost on daily basis.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:47   #64
BHPian

I wish I had a chance to buy the original Safari DiCore 2.2VTT 4X4. I would still look at one parked in the basement with lust and wish I had a chance to own one. Atleast the owners who I have spoken to swear by it.
swarnava.ch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 13:47   #65
Senior - BHPian

For me it has to be the first gen Maruti Zen (my handle can vouch for it) that was launched in 1993. I loved the jelly-bean design and the 3-spoke steering wheel. The car was amazing in red colour with black bumpers (no body coloured bumpers then). I was still a student that time so couldnt afford one. Fast forward to 2003 when I was ready to buy one (but still not the original one, as the 3 spoke steering wheel was no longer offered and there were few other subtle changes in design) when Maruti ruined the car by launching a so-called facelift that made me hold back and go for the Esteem instead. But the first gen zen will always be one of my favourites.

Last edited by rr_zen : 12th January 2021 at 13:49.
rr_zen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:16   #66
BHPian

Our moment was when we ended up buying for a Grand i10 AT when heart was set out on the Polo GT TSI.

In 2018, we were looking to replace my wifey's 8 year old i10 AT and had a range of ATs to choose from including the Kwid AMT, Tiago AMT, Grand i10 AT, Ignis AMT and the Polo GT TSI.

We took a TD of the 1.2 GT TSI and were so smitten by the drive but at that time we were short by a couple of lakhs and were hesitant to take a car on loan. Plus, wifey felt at home in the Grand i10 AT and the discounts from Hyundai made it a no-brainer.

While the Hyundai is smooth and refined, the car barely excites and when I look back, it feels like a daft and a compromised decision that we made in not getting that Polo.
clementj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:18   #67
JTM
BHPian

The one car that I regret not buying the most is the sedan that defined the D-Segment.

The Honda Civic

When we bought our 2005 Mahindra Major, our priorities were on having a reliable workhorse that would do it all at our estate and household. If I were older then, I would have most probably begged my father to wait for a while longer, and buy the established sedan that the Civic was. Practicality be damned

Enter 2019. We were ready to take delivery of our 2019 Honda City VX I-DTEC in January, but the upcoming all-new Civic was still beckoning us. We felt that the City served all of our needs and my father wasn't convinced of the future of the D-segment sedan, even though he loved the Civic to bits. Ultimately it was the right decision ( What in heaven's name are you thinking, Honda ). The Civic is one car that I will never forget.
JTM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:23   #68
BHPian

My regret of not buying a particular car which I liked was due to my stupidity.

W123 - Nearly 10 years back, I came across a well maintained W123 300D, but due to my stupidity, I let the deal pass-by. But even to this day I regret for not picking the same. Whenever I see a pristinely maintained W123 on the roads, I feel terrible for missing this car.

Another regret of mine is selling a W124 which I had for nearly 5 years. A wonderful Stately Machine it was. Loved it to the core.

Last edited by vasanthjn : 12th January 2021 at 14:31. Reason: spelling mistake
vasanthjn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:25   #69
BHPian

Our 2012 Ford Fiesta Classic brings a smile every time I drive it, it's still going strong, Love the steering feedback, engine character and the build quality. Preferring this over MS Swift, MS DZire and Ford Fiesta Saloon was the best decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars that you regret NOT buying!-dsc00209_edit.jpg  

invincii is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:31   #70
Senior - BHPian

The recently launched Yaris GR. As a special offer, Toyota offered the first 1000 cars at $39,990 drive away which got sold in a week while I procrastinated. The same car is now over AUD 50k

To be honest i wasnt expecting them to be sold so quick given Toyota does not have a history of hot hatchbacks. The have knocked it out of the park this time. What a car!
extreme_torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:32   #71
BHPian

Every time I check the mileage figures,I regret buying the petrol varient over the top diesel varient of Tata Nexon.

Last edited by JJ1991 : 12th January 2021 at 14:45. Reason: Typo
JJ1991 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:34   #72
BHPian

Honda City Gen I Type II

This is one of the cars we regret not buying. In 2002, We had booked one in the heather mist shade sort of golden beige colour which was one of the most popular ones those days in the City but eventually were not able to go ahead with the purchase.

We went for the Ford iKON 1.6 ZXI model in the green shade as we were being offered this particular car for some discount I think or it was a test drive model something of that sort and I was a kid back then so had no say and also due to some financial crisis at that point of time swayed the decision in the favour of the iKON.

But had I had any say it would have been the Honda City hands down and it continued to pull the strings of my heart each time I saw one on road and we regret our decision till date.
sv97 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:40   #73
anb
BHPian

The cars I regret not buying are Laura, Polo 1.6 TDI,Polo GTI and Skoda Octavia VRS230. I bought a Cruze in 2010. That was a wrong choice, Laura was way superior car in every aspect. Next I bought a Figo diesel in May 2013 without waiting for Polo 1.6 GT TDI which launched in November 2013. Later in 2016, I sold Figo and bought Polo 1.5 GT TDI and remapped it to over 130 bhp. Next is Polo GTI. I had the budget, but didn’t buy it. Last lot of GTI’s sold for 18 lakhs in Kerala. Now the resale value is 19-20 lakhs. Some people sold it for a profit after using for 1-2 years. Skoda Octavia Vrs230 is a fantastic car and a VFM purchase. Like GTI, it retains a high resale value.
anb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 14:42   #74
BHPian

The Kizashi .
I mean, just look at it!

Cars that you regret NOT buying!-141819.jpg

Cars that you regret NOT buying!-suzukikizashisport1.jpg

Even, the interiors look fresh even today with the right amount of beige

Cars that you regret NOT buying!-f.jpg

I had bought the SX4 (another fantastic car, which I still have) and hadn't had the money back then for the Kizashi.

I am pretty sure with Maruti's excellent after sales, it would have been a keeper.

Trivia:
I was admiring a Kizashi at the Maruti service station a few years back, and the service advisor told me that they have been instructed by Maruti to take special care of the Kizashi and their owners.

Indeed, I believe it is always best from a car service perspective to get the best car from that manufacturer's stable. A Kizashi will always get a better treatment at the Maruti service station from Maruti, than a Mercedes A-Class at the Mercedes service station.
nishsingh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:04   #75
BHPian

The only car I truly regret not having invested in would be a brand new Maruti Gypsy while it was still on shelf. I did give it a serious consideration before picking up my pre-owned Honda Jazz but it was one of those decisions where the mind triumphed over the heart. After owning 3 very practical cars (Wagon R, Ritz & Jazz) my advise to anyone in the same dilemma will be listen to the heart.
Attached Thumbnails
Cars that you regret NOT buying!-b341a12facb74fd8ac586df764ef1528.jpeg  

R_Gowardhan is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks