Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 15:05   #76
BHPian

Re: Cars that you regret NOT buying!

I regret not going in for the Jetta 2.0 TDI by stretching my wallet a bit.
anshu1101 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:12   #77
BHPian

I wanted to book Ecosport Titanium Plus with Ecoboost Engine but ended up buying Figo Sports edition 1.5D.
At times I regret the decision but whenever im behind the wheel of my pocket rocket I forget that with a very wide grin
Also im happy that its a limited edition (Figo S) and there is some exclusivity to it
Senna_sempre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:12   #78
BHPian

Although I wasn't in the market for an upgrade yet last year, the pulling of the plug on the Abarth Punto has left me deeply saddened that I can't ever buy a new one. Same deal with the 1.2L GT TSI with the superlative DSG box.

But overall I don't regret much, because I'm clear that my next car will be a used one – both for environmental and economic reasons.
BackstraightBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:15   #79
BHPian

For sure - TATA NANO.

But I was lucky enough to drive various iterations of the same as one of my relative has almost all of them, still.
kamilharis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 15:23   #80
BHPian

Titanium variant of Ford Figo

I bought a Ford Figo diesel LXI in 2013, I sold the car and upgraded to Polo GT TDI just because Figo didn't have ABS and airbags. I used to drive from my hometown ( Calicut, Kerala ) to Chennai and the more I drove on highways, the need for ABS became a necessity. Used Figo for 3 years with 48,000km on the odo before the upgrade to Polo.
navaneeth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 16:24   #81
BHPian

In 2017, Hexa XE was available for 9.99 (ex showroom) and I was considering it but didn’t buy it. I regret that a lot evn today because today any vehicle of that size doesn’t come for less than 18-20 lacs.
Aakash118 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 16:57   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aKrain View Post
I had a used Fiesta 1.6 Sxi which was great to drive but incurred a lot of damages on my wallet. I sold it off to buy a more reliable Honda Brio in 2012. In hindsight, I should have a bought Fiesta Classic petrol. Would have been a great car to drive.
Similiar case here, In 2015 I was on the lookout for a petrol car with a budget of 7 lacs. Ford Fiesta Classic was available with good discounts and a hoot of an engine and fitting my budget but the car was gonna be discontinued soon. In the end the head won over heart and I ended up buying Swift Zxi.
Stranger17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 17:36   #83
sgm
BHPian

The heart said Octavia TSI but mind wanted a reliable Corolla Altis at the time of purchase. After a couple of months of usage of my Altis, I was not happy with the sound insulation at highway speeds. I started regretting my decision to skip Octavia over Altis and though it would not have been day and night difference, the performance of TSI would have kept me committed to Octavia. This eventually led me to getting the C-class. Now when I think, I committed a big financial Hara-kiri", in all this madness. I imagine, I should have got a C-class or 3 series in the first place and saved a good amount

This was the 2nd instance in my automotive life when I listened to my mind over my heart, eventually ended up with another round of upgrade and I learned that I have to listen to my heart over mind for emotional purchases
sgm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 18:05   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
In 2017, Hexa XE was available for 9.99 (ex showroom) and I was considering it but didn’t buy it. I regret that a lot evn today because today any vehicle of that size doesn’t come for less than 18-20 lacs.
Hexa XE was never available for 9.99. It was launched at 11.99, but in the couple of months consequent to GST (July and August 2017) - the price dropped down to 10.99 before it was brought back to the original price. I know this because we picked up a Hexa XT during that time and availed the "GST discount" - which constitutes my second regret - should have gone for the XTA. At that time, the extra safety features and the lower sticker price became a deciding factor for XT. Not that I am unhappy with the XT, but how I wish to go back and just get an XTA.

The first regret - father wanted to buy a "sedan" back in 2009 and picked up a Tata Indigo CS Petrol - Everybody in the family liked the Hyundai Accent Petrol but it was over the budget, the mileage was lesser and we didn't know any better. In hindsight, what were we even thinking

Last edited by r0nit7 : 12th January 2021 at 18:10. Reason: Better readability.
r0nit7 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 18:24   #85
BHPian

Daewoo Cielo esp. in the dark military green colour. Somehow I was in the awe of this car (despite its shortcomings) but was underage to drive it. After I became eligible to drive, the car was out of the market.

Later, I wanted to buy VW Polo but the dealer was too adamant on the showroom pricing and few other things. Ultimately went for a Grand i10 (which has also served me beautifully). Regret the decision when I listen to the tales of VW's safety ratings and limited capabilities of a Hyundai hatchback.
ShankarG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 18:33   #86
Senior - BHPian

No heavy regrets, but 2 cars I had to ignore due to various reasons while shopping for my car - Cedia Sports and Tata Xenon. I still think about the choices once in a while and every time I see a Cedia Sports or a Xenon, I feel a tug in my heart.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 18:34   #87
BHPian

In 2011 when I bought my EON it costed me around 4.25 lakhs. At that moment I was thrilled beyond imagination to buy my first car. But I was single and the regret part didn't quite set in until I was married and had a kid. For a nuclear family with one kid, I would say this is a perfect car for city drive and daily errands. However our requirements changed we travelled to far off places and coupled with the fact that my in-laws place was 400 kilometers away our boot space and car space was never sufficient. The regret finally set in. I wished I had a bigger car!

The new Sonet which I have booked may not be as big compared to the CSUVs or the MPVs but it has a sufficient boot as per my wife!
chetancm7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 19:09   #88
BHPian

Nano AT & Brio AT for me
patwardhan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 19:13   #89
BHPian

I can list maybe many cars here but some of the memorable ones:

I regret not buying the Maruti Zen VXI, we had booked but cancelled and got the Palio. While Palio was a very very good car and I don’t have regrets over buying it but I feel regret on not being able to buy the Zen one of Maruti best products.

The second car I regret not buying is the Tata Nano just for the sheer brilliance that that cute car was. Would’ve loved to get the last power steering version of it but just missed out.

The third car I regret not buying is a Fiat 500 which I had finalised but due to a bad bad test drive of a demo car I decided against buying it. The demo was badly abused and it had a flat spot and jerky transmission and FCA even after 6 months of the TD couldn’t fix the demo to show that the car was fixable but I still love the 500.

The fourth car I regret not buying was a BMW 6 series old old car. It was on sale by a BHPian and I contacted him, he offered me a price, while it took me a day to arrange for funds and have a word at home, the car was already sold in that much time, was really bummed out.

The fifth car I regret not buying was a Morris Minor owned by a Parsi gentleman his entire life. I saw the car and was ready to put the money down but the car needed a proper garage which we don’t have and keeping it outside was not an option which made me consistently rethink it, eventually I moved to study and in that time the gentleman sold it.
M00M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 19:28   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nit7 View Post
Hexa XE was never available for 9.99. It was launched at 11.99, but in the couple of months consequent to GST (July and August 2017) - the price dropped down to 10.99 before it was brought back to the original price.
Sorry for my poor memory. But yes that GST price cut was exactly the time I was talking about. It was incredible vfm at that time. I always wanted to buy a big MUV and I think now I will have to spend over 20 lacs whenever I go to fulfil that dream of me.

Last edited by BlackPearl : 12th January 2021 at 20:12. Reason: Broken quote and minor typo. Thanks.
Aakash118 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed