Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2021, 12:01   #106
BHPian

Re: Cars that you regret NOT buying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
That was like . You could have called that sales man and said look I'm going to pay for zest. If you offer 1L discount I'm coming with this money immediately straight to your showroom instead of Tata's. ...
Yes, Indeed a mistake on my part but his first reaction was that it was impossible.

Now there was no way for me to know that was not the case. I had dropped my number and asked him to connect if they had an offer.

Also like in your case my TATA Concorde sales guy was absolutely top class and kept in constant touch without being intrusive.

The best I could have done was pushed the purchase by a couple of months, I had a WagonR and was not in a desperate need of a car. That I feel was a mistake.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 12:04   #107
BHPian

Abarth Punto. By the time I checked with dealers, they mentioned that Fiat stopped making Abarth Punto. Then I ended up buying a Tin Can from Maruti and regretting the purchase ever since.

Everytime I see a Punto or Abarth, my heart just sinks and I think how lucky those guys are.

Really, we should follow our heart. The mind can be convicted later. The same brilliant quote someone is using in Team-bhp.
amvj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 12:29   #108
BHPian

Oh man, this thread has nostalgia all over.

For me there are just two cars,

1. Civic AT - I drooled about getting a AT civic in 2013-2014. Somehow the stars never aligned and I always picked up different cars. Gonna regret this a lot.

2. Tata Harrier - When we got Venue last year, I soo wanted to pick up all black Harrier but family said no to that big of a car. Since I am not based out of India anymore, I could not force. Hopefully I will get to rectify this mistake when I come back to motherland after few years.

PS. No offense to Venue, I love the car and the convenience but it doesn’t tug the strings of my heart.

Last edited by turbowhistle : 13th January 2021 at 12:31. Reason: Typo
turbowhistle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 12:55   #109
BHPian

Awesome thread idea!

One car I still regret NOT buying is the Previous Gen Ford Figo 1.4D. Back in 2012, when I was a bachelor working with a reputed MNC and staying with friends, I have booked Figo Titanium (D) as my first car without even telling my parents. Somehow they came to know about it and sent my elder brother to give me the Gyan of all the cons of having a car that early in life. Eventually, I had to cancel the booking and drop from loan formalities.

But the enthusiast in me didn't sit quietly. I went ahead and got myself a used Santro Xing XO . and in 2017, I have upgraded to a Rapid. But deep down in the thoughts, I still regret not buying Figo.

The same brother who gave me all that Gyan, bought a Fiesta exactly after 3 months.

Quoting the BHPian Basky's Red Hot Figo here.

Cars that you regret NOT buying!-red-figo-2.jpg
vijayshouree is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 13:07   #110
Senior - BHPian

There are many that come to mind that I couldn't afford. But one that I could and regret not buying in the old zen.

Coming to the present day, I was in a similar situation and sitting on the fence for the Polo GT TSI - DSG. I really didn't need a second car but when rumors started about the DSG being stopped, we ahead and got one. It was literally the last GT TSI sold by that dealer. The SA is a good friend and keeps telling me how lucky I got and he still has buyers for the car ready if I decide to part ways.
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 13:13   #111
BHPian

I am not sure I can mention the current models. I missed Endeavour when the GST was cut few years back. It was around 23 odd or so and my Innova was given a good deal on take back. The GST went back to the same 28 % in few months. It was a like a deal from Government. That is one regret and I really miss this butch SUV.
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 13:41   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
Abarth Punto. By the time I checked with dealers, they mentioned that Fiat stopped making Abarth Punto. Then I ended up buying a Tin Can from Maruti and regretting the purchase ever since.

Everytime I see a Punto or Abarth, my heart just sinks and I think how lucky those guys are.

Really, we should follow our heart. The mind can be convinced later. The same brilliant quote someone is using in Team-bhp.
Damn! I hate auto corrections.
amvj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 13:47   #113

For me, it's the Chevrolet Cruze. I was in the market for a used car last year with no specific requirements since I travel mostly alone or with my girlfriend. I was getting a really good deal on this black Cruze in really great shape with around 50k on the odo. Went to test drive it, fell in love with it but the lady rejected it because she didn't like the low slung seating.

However, I do not regret it as much now since I ended up buying a Pre-owned Jeep Compass(D) a week later. Here's a picture from my recent Jaipur->BLR trip.

Cars that you regret NOT buying!-snapseed-3.jpg
adityagurjar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 14:03   #114
BHPian

Very interesting thread indeed and also a very common topic, whenever few of us petrol heads get together.

So here it goes:

1. 2016/17 ish - Fiat Punto Abarth: Everyone was abuzz this new hot hatch that has landed on our shores, probably even the penultimate one in it's segment. I jumped on the bandwagon too without having a clear requirement at that point in time. Dropped in for a TD - No TD cars available (obviously), was offered a TD in a regular Punto emotion 1.3, SA was like, "Sir, check the interiors in this one. Abarth will just be faster". Ofcourse, just!
Anyway I did not enjoy the drive a lot since the footwell felt too cramped and gear shifts too rubbery. To top it off, the SA was frank about not being able to provide an ETA. Dropped the idea, regret it till date.

2. 2018 - Ford Figo (Sports edition) 1.5 TDCi: Had driven the regular Figo 1.5D a few times, rented off Zoomcar's fleet, and thoroughly loved it. Still remember the fun drive from Pune to Lavasa where I had overtaken an F30 and the guy was trying really hard to return the favour, could not until we reached the top. Few such exhilarating experiences forced me to book a Figo 1.5TDCi Sports right away. Sadly had to cancel the booking because of delayed delivery date (and lack of communication + overall dealership attitude).
Don't regret this one as much since I picked up a pre-owned Laura TSI few months later. But this was a proper pocket-rocket and would love to have owned one.

3. 2019 - Tiago JTP: Needed a small car for the city, TD'd a few cars but did not like anything which were on offer then. Ran into a website called Spinny who had a year old Tiago JTP (in Red) in their inventory. Everyone who'd driven the car had the nicest things to say about it and I dropped by to take a look. I loved the car quite a bit too. But realized it isn't ideal for the city, which was the chief requirement. The turbo lag was very prominent and it kicked in close to 3k revvs which meant you'd have to drive her aggressively ALL THE TIME. Still regret it, I'd so love to see a bright red small car parked in my garage now.

It was this very one:
Cars that you regret NOT buying!-20190831_173209.jpg

4. 2020 - Renault Duster AWD: Got engaged, thus rekindling a requirement of another car. I wasn't too serious until Renault started offering ~2 lacs discount to clear off BS4 stocks. Visited the showroom, No TD vehicle, but we were mighty impressed by the ride quality of the 2WD RXZ itself. Pestered the SA for a good 2-3 weeks until he worked out a price I couldn't refuse. Booked it!
However we changed our minds because keeping the mouthwatering price, brilliant suspension and capable AWD aside, the car from inside was very dated. Of course the facelift offered AWD only in the mid level RXS spec, which meant I had to forgo things like Driver seat adjustment, rear wiper and fog lamps. My fiancé could not find a comfortable driving position no matter how much she tried. Disappointed, we cancelled the booking.
Again, don't regret is a lot since a month later, picked up a late 2015 (FL) Skoda Yeti 4x4.
nerd1200 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 14:20   #115
BHPian

This thread does take me down memory lane.

About two years ago, I was looking to buy my first car and was looking for a pre-owned sedan. I eventually bought my Corolla, but the guy who was selling it had another car for sale, a Chevrolet Cruze.

This car has been my dream car for more than I can remember, I can't exactly explain, but I find something about the car extremely appealing. However, the Cruze was priced about 1 lakh more than the Altis and since this was to be my first purchase, I thought the Altis would be better in terms of maintenance and service support (as it turns out, this did work out as expected).

However, to this day, whenever I see a Cruze parked somewhere or drive past me, I look at it with a sigh, as if looking at an ex. I have never driven one, but for reasons I can't explain I simply adore this car.

I still have hopes of finding a good specimen and finally satisfying the craving that I feel for it.

Not to take anything away from the Altis, she has been a lovely car to own, and whenever I am going to change her, I will look to buy either an Altis or a if it is still feasible, a Cruze.

Note: I just re-read my post and it seems to be difficult to distinguish whether the post is about a cat or an ex. I guess it is what it is.
pareekvirendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 14:28   #116
BHPian

Nice thread, for me it's just one car, VW Jetta TDI AT. I am currently looking for a preowned & hope that I get it home soon.
kkunal.shah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 14:52   #117
BHPian

We bought Tiago Diesel XZ in 2019 with good discount on offer as I wanted a diesel mill, it saved me close to 75k and I regret for not giving a thought to below cars. These cars were within my budget range of 7-9 lacs…

1. Nexon Petrol Base variant
2. Tigor Petrol Top variant
3. Ford Figo Petrol/Diesel
SulemanP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 14:53   #118
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

1) Pajero SFX
2) Safari Storm 400
3) Hexa
4) Merc E250 D 1998-2000
5) Punto Abarth
6) Nano AT
7) Merc GLS prev gen.
8) X6 Prev gen
9) Lancer Diesel
10) Superb second gen.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 15:01   #119
BHPian

I regret not buying the Ford Figo back in 2010 due to ground clearance issues & low seating position(for my father). My village roads were not in great shape back then. Eventually have to buy Ritz which did solve both the problems back then but somewhere in my heart memories of that machine still lingers on.
alexpaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 15:02   #120

Polo GTI in 2018. Heard through a couple of friends about the stock clearance on the GTI. Called up the dealership, car was at my home the next day for test drive. After negotiating just a little it was coming out to 17.5 On road Delhi and they had red and white colors in stock. In the end i chickened out of in favour of buying something more family friendly with 4 doors. Seeing the car prices now it seems incredibly value for the kit it offered.
AD03 is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks