Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2021, 10:37   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2022 Maruti Brezza, now launched at Rs 7.99 lakh

Looks promising. MSIL desperately needs a safe, modern looking CSUV with good safety ratings, and a nice range Infy erma of engines and gearboxes. Their power train range is absurdly shallow right now, with the Diesel engine off the table, no turbo-petrols and no proper automatic transmissions on offer, except the ancient 4 speed TC. A market leader like Maruti should be quickly able to access international partnerships to buy (rather than always build) powertrain elements such as engines and transmissions. Tata did not have a homemade Auto box for the Harrier, they happily went ahead and put in a relationship with Hyundai to source the 6 speed AT. What prevents Maruti from establishing a sourcing arrangement with Nissan for the brilliant 1.3 / 1.0 Turbo petrols and the 7 speed CVTs used in Kicks/Kiger? I think their ego is too big after so many years of market leadership and it will lead to their downfall!
84.monsoon is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 22:12   #122
VIZ
BHPian

This got me excited. Do we know if the new Brezza will be based on Heartect platform? I am just concerned about Safety rating with Heartect Platform. There are varying information about the platform in the net. I wish they release the car in the first quarter of calendar year 2022.
Old 27th November 2021, 15:03   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIZ View Post
Do we know if the new Brezza will be based on Heartect platform? I am just concerned about Safety rating with Heartect Platform.
The new Brezza continues to be built on the Global C platform. It is a heavily reworked car rather than an entirely different one.

Moreover, the safety rating is not based on the platform on which it is built. Ertiga and Ignis both are built on the Heartect platform scored 3 stars, which performed better than the cars built on Hyundai K platforms.

The rating depends on how well designed the crumple zone is, the use of high tensile steels, hot stamping on critical areas, standard safety features, kerb weight, airbag size, unstable contact on the airbag, incorrect deployment, steering column displacement, foot well displacement, and a lot of other variables will determine the score (Check out the Global-Ncap Assessment Protocol for more information).

Brezza would have scored less than 4 stars if MS compromised on any of these aspects. Therefore, the safety of the vehicle cannot be judged by looking at the platform which it is built on.
Vignesh Vee is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 08:30   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki Brezza rendered:

The 2022 Maruti Brezza, now launched at Rs 7.99 lakh-262007163_1064408010987507_774937948572489066_n.jpg

The 2022 Maruti Brezza, now launched at Rs 7.99 lakh-261478893_1064408014320840_3394550672730390066_n.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 09:20   #125
BHPian

The new/refreshed Brezza actually looks desirable now. And i agree it looks like the Toyota Raize, which is a good thing. Both interiors and exteriors now look modern and snazzy, and the updated auto-box is a welcome change too.

I feel Maruti will move up the price band with this one So will it continue to sell in the 10k units per month range? Note that the facelifted S-Cross will also pull in higher sales.
Old 29th November 2021, 08:24   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
I feel Maruti will move up the price band with this one So will it continue to sell in the 10k units per month range? Note that the facelifted S-Cross will also pull in higher sales.
It’s likely that Maruti will increase the price and put it in the XUV300 price range. There are reports of another sub-4m SUV from MSIL based on the Baleno. So, that car may be pitted in lower-end of sub-4m segment, against the likes of the Magnite.

The S-Cross is likely to compete against the Creta and now the new generation also has the high stance to compete in that segment. Maybe the new Vitara will also be launched in India and compete in the Harrier/Hector segment. Maruti might be aiming to do what they did with hatchback segment a decade ago, wherein they had multiple models within the same price range.

They should adopt such a strategy considering their long standing absence in these segments.
Marauder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 08:56   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
The S-Cross is likely to compete against the Creta and now the new generation also has the high stance to compete in that segment. Maybe the new Vitara will also be launched in India and compete in the Harrier/Hector segment. Maruti might be aiming to do what they did with hatchback segment a decade ago, wherein they had multiple models within the same price range.
Well, i thought that the Creta competitor from Suzuki would be the jointly developed SUV with Toyota. Agree that Maruti now has the dual positioning and network arms (Arena, and Nexa) to pull off multiple models within the same price range, but i guess the positioning has to be a bit different. Like for example the Swift and the Baleno- the former targeted at young adults and couple, and the Baleno a more family oriented hatch (notwithstanding terrible safety, of course).

Will the S Cross and the upcoming Toyota based SUV, and the cheaper one to compete with the Magnite that you mentioned retain enough differentiation? That will be key. Muddled positioning often is a sureshot recipe for product failure. Case example- Zen Estilo
Old 29th November 2021, 09:48   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
That will be key. Muddled positioning often is a sureshot recipe for product failure. Case example- Zen Estilo
Maruti is the king of crowded line-ups. They will rather have customers stand confused inside a Maruti showroom, rather than outside. The Estilo was a below average seller due to the product quality, rather than the Zen saddled positioning.

They would very well keep the Baleno coupe crossover and Brezza in the same price range but targeted at different buyers. They may continue the S cross at the present price point aiming it at Creta, since it is just a heavily facelifted version of an older model. And they will put the Toyota collab vehicle at Harrier level (15+ lakhs) pricing., even if the vehicle is based on a 10 lakh Daihatsu.
DicKy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 15:48   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Maruti is the king of crowded line-ups.....

They would very well keep the Baleno coupe crossover and Brezza in the same price range but targeted at different buyers. They may continue the S cross at the present price point aiming it at Creta, since it is just a heavily facelifted version of an older model. And they will put the Toyota collab vehicle at Harrier level (15+ lakhs) pricing., even if the vehicle is based on a 10 lakh Daihatsu.
What is the source of your information for Toyota Collab vehicle (I guess you mean S-Cross replacement) ? As per my information, it is a vehicle built from scratch and not on a Toyota vehicle base and with new powertrains.

Toyota is not sharing any current platform with Suzuki for any development as I understand from people in the know. Toyota-Suzuki may develop new platforms together but that is still a matter of speculation. Toyota will of course share technologies and access to new markets like Africa with Suzuki.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 16:16   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
What is the source of your information for Toyota Collab vehicle (I guess you mean S-Cross replacement) ? As per my information, it is a vehicle built from scratch and not on a Toyota vehicle base and with new powertrains.
No industry insider source. The rumours of the Creta rival (D22 project?) being based on the Daihatsu DNGA platform has been going on for a while, that I can't probably pinpoint the source. TeamBHP? Autocarindia?
These are the threads on TBHP itself discussing the same. Any source of information I have is from these.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-2020-a-3.html (Rumour: Maruti Suzuki's Creta-rivalling SUV coming in 2020)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...2020-21-a.html (Rumour: 7-Seater Maruti SUV could debut in FY2020-21)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...bracket-3.html (Toyota plans new MPV & SUV in the Rs 15 - 20 lakh bracket)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ll-2023-a.html (Maruti's SUV & Crossover plans : New launch every 6 months till 2023)

Not sure if its an Scross replacement, but is certainly a Creta rival. Please do share more insider details/tidbits if you have any.

Last edited by DicKy : 29th November 2021 at 16:19.
Old 29th November 2021, 21:09   #131
BHPian

Quote:
No industry insider source. The rumours of the Creta rival (D22 project?) being based on the Daihatsu DNGA platform has been going on for a while, that I can't probably pinpoint the source. TeamBHP? Autocarindia?
These are the threads on TBHP itself discussing the same. Any source of information I have is from these.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-2020-a-3.html (Rumour: Maruti Suzuki's Creta-rivalling SUV coming in 2020)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...2020-21-a.html (Rumour: 7-Seater Maruti SUV could debut in FY2020-21)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...bracket-3.html (Toyota plans new MPV & SUV in the Rs 15 - 20 lakh bracket)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ll-2023-a.html (Maruti's SUV & Crossover plans : New launch every 6 months till 2023)

Not sure if its an Scross replacement, but is certainly a Creta rival. Please do share more insider details/tidbits if you have any.
The so called D22 / YFG / Next gen S Cross ( no matter what you call it) is built on very much a Suzuki platform. It is the powertrain where information is scarce, that there is likely to be a Toyota contribution. And if it does, it will surely be based on TNGA rather than DNGA.

As informed through respectable magazines here in Japan, there is another fully electric vehicle that Toyota and Suzuki are collaborating on and is probably based on e-TNGA. Details again are scarce but it is likely to be Suzuki's 1st EV in India.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 21:31   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Seen in new spy shots:

The 2022 Maruti Brezza, now launched at Rs 7.99 lakh-1.jpg

The 2022 Maruti Brezza, now launched at Rs 7.99 lakh-2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 02:19   #133
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or is it the camera angle that shows car tilting slightly to the left? Besides, the overall stance isn’t clearly visible as it looks like beefed up sPresso to me it’s the camouflage & the skinny tires that is also adding to this weird stance.

Most likely in the coming days when it reveals its, might look better.
Old 30th November 2021, 07:33   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
The so called D22 / YFG / Next gen S Cross ( no matter what you call it) is built on very much a Suzuki platform. It is the powertrain where information is scarce, that there is likely to be a Toyota contribution. And if it does, it will surely be based on TNGA rather than DNGA. .
Clears up a lot of things. The news till now was that the YFG(S cross) and D22(Toyota Collab) were two different vehicles. But in line with Suzuki's approach of two distinct products in the same price range. The next gen S cross, next gen international Vitara, Toyota-Maruti Collab, revival of Grand Vitara were all muddled up, with conflicting reports.

Leave the Toyota- Suzuki BEV project, that's years away. Is there any possibility of a proper hybrid with a Maruti or Toyota badge coming under 20 lakhs anytime soon?
Old 30th November 2021, 07:40   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Clears.....

Leave the Toyota- Suzuki BEV project, that's years away. Is there any possibility of a proper hybrid with a Maruti or Toyota badge coming under 20 lakhs anytime soon?
Suzuki's communications have been consistent that Diesel no longer figures in its plans and hybrid has a big role to play in its plans to meet CAFE targets. So, I expect a Hybrid from Suzuki as early as 2022. Now will it be a home brew Suzuki hybrid or a TNGA based hybrid is anybody's guess. Toyota will push their Hybrids for sure till their e-TNGA plans with / without Suzuki starts delivering somewhere around 2025 possibly.
Carma2017 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed