Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2021, 12:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Toyota lifts plant lockout; to resume 2nd shift from Jan 12

Following its discussions with the deputy chief minister of Karnataka and having observed a gradual improvement in the safety situation, Toyota Kirloskar Motor (KTM) has decided to withdraw the plant lockout without any compromise to discipline and productivity.

Earlier, 1,200 workers at Toyota's Bidadi plant had gone on strike from November 9. They were opposing the suspension of a union office bearer. In the wake of the situation, Toyota had announced a lockout, which was withdrawn on November 19. The lockout was re-instituted on November 23.

Toyota has also announced that with the lockout being lifted, a second shift will be operational from January 12, 2021 at both plants.

Toyota's official statement:

Quote:
In-light of the continued illegal strike by Toyota Kirloskar Motor Employees Union, the management was forced to announce a second lock-out on November 23rd 2020. However, the company had resumed production with over 1200 team members who had expressed their intention to work with discipline, through a simple undertaking of good behaviour. Thereafter, in view of a recent meeting held between Dr. Ashwathnarayan, Honourable Deputy Chief Minister, Government of Karnataka with the TKM management and having observed a gradual improvement in safety situation, both inside and outside the company premises, TKM Management have decided to withdraw the lock-out, without any compromise to discipline and productivity.

This will be in the interest of both team members and their families as well as the company. Consequent to the lifting of the lockout, operations will enhance with effect from second shift of January 12, 2021 in both the plants. Employees returning to work will sign a simple undertaking for good conduct and report to work. The Suspension Pending Enquiry of 66 unionized employees for serious misconducts will continue and domestic enquiries will be conducted adhering to the principles of Natural Justice.

We believe that our success depends upon the dedication of our team members. Furthermore, as a people centric company, TKM has been at the forefront of providing a conducive working environment including competitive compensation packages, as well as unique welfare measures over and above the statutory requirements, to improve the quality of life of its workforce. As a world-class manufacturing company, we will continue to introduce favourable and unique policies that support our employee while further fostering a safe and rewarding working environment that suits the diverse needs of our team members and their families. The safety and well-being of all our stakeholders and especially our employees being of utmost importance to us, and we would like to emphasize that basic discipline will continue to be the cornerstone of our business principles and we will not compromise on behaviour and acts that threaten Toyota’s safety philosophy and its brand value in the country.

We are extremely grateful to the Government of Karnataka, Labour department, Police Department and other authorities for lending their strong support in restoring peace in and around the plant premises and assuring the protection of loyal employees who have and will return to work. Over the years, TKM has nurtured a strong bond with the state of Karnataka and we will actively promote this spirit not only within Toyota but will continue to support the community at large while upholding the state’s conducive business environment.
Toyota lifts plant lockout; to resume 2nd shift from Jan 12-www.teambhp.com69.jpeg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 12th January 2021 at 12:20.
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ahh, finally!! I am being selfish here, as I can expect my new Facelifted Fortuner to be delivered earlier than expected.
getsurya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 12:43   #3
BANNED

Re: Toyota lifts plant lockout; to resume 2nd shift from Jan 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Ahh, finally!! I am being selfish here, as I can expect my new Facelifted Fortuner to be delivered earlier than expected.
What was the waiting period quoted to you during booking?
Old 12th January 2021, 12:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What was the waiting period quoted to you during booking?
I prebooked mine in December, so should get it by 20th January, with this news, I am hoping to get mine earlier. Optimistic!!
Old 19th January 2021, 12:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
I prebooked mine in December, so should get it by 20th January, with this news, I am hoping to get mine earlier. Optimistic!!
Toyota doesn't seem to be on their usual brisk production process, they have pushed my cars delivery date from 20th to 26th now.
Old 19th January 2021, 12:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Furthermore, as a people centric company, TKM has been at the forefront of providing a conducive working environment including competitive compensation packages, as well as unique welfare measures over and above the statutory requirements, to improve the quality of life of its workforce. As a world-class manufacturing company, we will continue to introduce favourable and unique policies that support our employee while further fostering a safe and rewarding working environment that suits the diverse needs of our team members and their families.
In contrast to TKM's claims, the employees and Unions speak of poor working conditions and overwork leading to the strike.

Sources :

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le33387158.ece

https://www.newsclick.in/amid-labour...ork-conditions

Last edited by sdp1975 : 19th January 2021 at 12:48.
Old 2nd March 2021, 17:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Toyota: Employee union calls off labour strike

Toyota has released an official statement confirming the end of the labour strike at its Bidadi factory, near Bangalore.

The Toyota Kirloskar Motors (TKM) Employee's Union has officially called off the labour strike. Although most of the 3,350 employees had voluntarily resumed work earlier, the strike has now officially come to an end.

Toyota's official statement:

Quote:
“Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) today confirmed that the TKM Employee’s Union has officially called off the ongoing labour strike at its factory in Bidadi, Karnataka. Although a majority of members from a total of 3,350 employees had already voluntarily resumed work earlier, the labour strike that has been continuing has now officially come to an end today. TKM is very grateful to the Government of Karnataka and the Department of Labour, who have played a crucial role in facilitating the reconciliation, between all parties.

Furthermore, on 1st March TKM has accepted the undertaking given by Union leaders on behalf of the members that was presented by them to the Govt. The company has also made a final appeal to all the other members to return to work by 5th March 2021, and ensure synergies based on mutual trust for the future and to respect the terms of their mutual understanding.

Throughout TKM’s long history in India, the company has been well recognised for their strong people friendly culture and their commitment to development. Going forward, TKM will continue to work towards strengthening this value system by fostering relationships based on collaboration, trust, discipline and mutual respect.”
TusharK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 15:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
In contrast to TKM's claims, the employees and Unions speak of poor working conditions and overwork leading to the strike.

Sources :

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le33387158.ece

https://www.newsclick.in/amid-labour...ork-conditions
I seriously doubt the claims by the workers, I work right beside the plant and have some knowledge of the events. TPM in itself includes that the workers can give their best, so they would not be over worked beyond a meaningful time, which will decrease their productivity / quality - which is supreme in TPM. Secondly, TPM is a continuous improvement process, and I don't see that car production time decrease as a direct correlation with increasing load on operators/workers. We have improved our lines (Different industry) by a large factor which involves process change, automation and planning. Does not mean the workers are more taxed. Local politics, goondaism and indiscipline by union office bearers are extremely common, here. We have been pandering to these local politicians meddling in company affairs for a long time.

Last edited by Raghuwire : 3rd March 2021 at 15:13.
Raghuwire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 13:49   #9
cnu
BHPian

Heard that TKM plant will be shutting down from 20th Apr for a month or so. Is that true ?
Old 15th April 2021, 14:09   #10
BANNED

Is the plant shutdown proposal emanate from pandemic spike or union issue?
Old 15th April 2021, 14:46   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
Heard that TKM plant will be shutting down from 20th Apr for a month or so. Is that true ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsr_83 View Post
Is the plant shutdown proposal emanate from pandemic spike or union issue?
Could be true, it will mostly be due to the pandemic spike. Especially in hotspot areas like Maharashtra and now other states as well.

Looks like even Tata Motors has stopped production till April 30.

Toyota lifts plant lockout; to resume 2nd shift from Jan 12-c5d9f34b15fe4b9788e4402aa7ee5b39.jpeg

Toyota lifts plant lockout; to resume 2nd shift from Jan 12-88b5b72a90444f7b810c43c9734640b9.jpeg

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 15th April 2021 at 14:49.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 16:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu View Post
Yes, it's correct. Just been informed that my Crysta delivery could be delayed.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 16:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Could be true, it will mostly be due to the pandemic spike. Especially in hotspot areas like Maharashtra and now other states as well.

Looks like even Tata Motors has stopped production till April 30.
This is intriguing because just yesterday the vendors have received a communication from TML to ensure suppliers as per schedule by following all govt guidelines. As of today Pune plants are in operation with reduced workforce
drive_factor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2021, 19:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Toyota plant in Karnataka pauses for maintenance work between April 26 and May 14.

Quote:
Toyota Kirloskar Motor on Thursday evening announced its plant in Bidadi near Bengaluru in Karnataka will carry out an annual maintenance program which, as per the company, is a planned exercise to be carried out between April 26 and May 14.
Quote:
Toyota makes no reference Covid-19-related restrictions enforced in Karnataka.
Quote:
Toyota does highlight that the temporary halt in production will impact supply of vehicles manufactured here but that it will use the pipeline finished goods inventory to serve the pending & immediate requirements of its customers
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 22nd April 2021 at 19:29.
Old 23rd April 2021, 07:14   #15
Senior - BHPian

I guess it would be for adjustments in the assembly line since they got rid of the Yaris. That should be the 'maintenance' they are doing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks