Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which luxury brands would you consider buying?
Lexus 165 29.10%
Volvo 206 36.33%
Jaguar 86 15.17%
Land Rover / Range Rover 174 30.69%
Porsche 186 32.80%
Mini 69 12.17%
Tesla (coming soon) 187 32.98%
Luxury car from mainstream brands (e.g. Camry, Superb, Carnival, Cherokee, Vellfire) 150 26.46%
Other (please specify in your post) 11 1.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 567. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2021, 19:02   #61
BHPian

Re: Outside of the big 3 Germans, which luxury car brands would you consider & why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Something wrong with the percentage shown in the poll.
Nope it isn't. It is simply the votes for a given brand divided by total no. of voters. given a voter can choose more than 1 brand (MCQ) - the % for each of the brands themselves don't add upto a perfect 100. All good!

voted for Porsche, Land/Range Rover, Tesla.
Old 27th January 2021, 21:22   #62
BHPian

Re: Outside of the big 3 Germans, which luxury car brands would you consider & why?

I was a fan of the Big three. But I really enjoy my Skoda, its absolute VFM!

I voted for the LR only for my desh bhakti. The JLR is now a TATA brand and I love the way the defender has been developed. I owned a TATA estate and am aware of the time the time TATA cars have to spend at the a maika. So Does my wife! So no remorse.

Last edited by rulerofsun : 27th January 2021 at 21:23. Reason: grammar
Old 27th January 2021, 21:59   #63
BHPian

Mini is essentially a BMW so it's part of the three as well now, I take mine to BMW for service so it feels like part of the process. But would be fun to own in India due to it's size and power.

My preference would be something like this
  1. Range Rover / Land Rover - They make very desirable cars at least for me and are certainly upmarket than the three German marquees. Would be a nice change to own a Sport or Discovery. Can't even think about Vogue/Velar/Autobiography even in my dreams Won't touch or think about Jaguar. Not my cup of tea!!
  2. Tesla - Makes more sense right now but I don't feel much connection with the brand as of now. Maybe if they launch sensibly in India and if we get a nice network of superchargers!
  3. Skoda - A real answer and a very real proposition for India. They are definitely better than VW and Audi for Indian market and I don't think the new cars are that unreliable. If you want the same luxury and fly under the radar - Skoda is the way to go! Although I find them more upmarket in Audi these days.

This was the TVC which ignited my love for Skoda and since experiencing a Superb few years back - I am a hardcore fan.

Old 27th January 2021, 22:37   #64
Senior - BHPian

I voted for Volvo, Jaguar and Lexus. Volvo - all their cars have excited me till now. I am happy to get most of the safety features (if not all) in their cars here in India. My second choice is Jaguar - I really like the looks - beautifully sculpted cars (even though reliability can be a turn off for many). The third choice is Lexus - this one only for a reliable car, nothing else.
Old 27th January 2021, 22:51   #65
BHPian

Voted for:
  1. Porsche:
    Felt like it would be a sin to be able to buy a Porsche and not buy one. Might even go for the electric Taycan if it fits in 1.5cr.
  2. Tesla:
    Really a car reimagined. Built from the bottom up with zero regard to sticking to conventions. The innovation in Teslas is just insane and one would definitely make it into my garage if I had the money.
  3. Skoda:
    VFM luxury that has a lot of characteristics of the bigger Germans. 'Best-in-next-class' may be a bit too much but the truth isn't very far from it.
Old 27th January 2021, 23:14   #66
BHPian

Voted for Volvo! Why? Well, the very first time I sat in a Volvo cockpit, which was an S60 Polestar, my mind just flashed, "Dayum! This is it!". I had just sat in an Audi and then a BMW a few minutes ago and the S60 was the most ergonomic of that lot. I slid in and it was like the car was telling me, "Lets drive!". It was an auto show and no I didn't get to drive it. But that feeling - can never forget it.

I also love the Thor's Hammer design on Volvo headlamps (yeah, that's what it is called) and am quite intrigued by the "Built like a tank" reputation that Volvos have. Too bad they don't seem to have as much a badge value as do the 3 Germans. Or even as much as Jaguar or Land Rover do.

Volvo S60 with Thor's Hammer Design Headlamps
Outside of the big 3 Germans, which luxury car brands would you consider & why?-1volvos60polestarengineered2020rtherofront.jpg
Miel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 02:13   #67
BHPian

Tesla and Lexus. But voted Lexus for its better customer service.

Had a booking for Tesla Model 3 but cancelled it in last 2019 took me 6 months to recover the booking fee after multiple emails. The company doesnt believe in a transparent contact customer service system. Hopefully they will fix that soon.

Having just bought a Lexus ES 300h, no matter what anyone says for that matter even the so called self proclaimed gurus / experts / mods the ES just blows the competition out in terms of reliability and the luxury feel. Over a period of 2 years trying to figure out which one to buy between the 530i m sport / E220 d and the ES 300h finally went with the ES300h even with the no discounts and high pricing.

The 5 though fun to drive was difficult for my father to get into and out of at the back, and legroom was missing and it kept hitting the ramp into and out of my building parking. The fact that it took me almost 9 months to recover my booking amount from BMW dealer after i cancelled the booking was another eye opener on the kind of service BMW India provides.

The E220d was boring to drive, the high maintenance costs, and the fact that the car is just too long and unless its full time driver driven it makes no sense for an individual to drive it because the driver seat doesnt even have seat memory.

The ES300h after multiple test drives in day light and in the evening darkness just felt far more luxurious. When the CKD came in the price dipped a little bit, and the center infotainment system once again is a breeze to use once u figure how to use, i was skeptical about it as every reviewer complaints that it doesnt have touch screen and the trackpad is sketchy but trust me i have had no issues, infact the trackpad is very simple to use. The only grouse i may have with the system is maybe it shouldve had wireless apple carplay rather than wired but i use the bluetooth to connect my phone and it works seamlessly so i dont need apple carplay either and the lexus navigation is quite good, it shows places that dont show up on google maps or are incorrectly marked on google maps but correctly marked on the Lexus inbuilt Navigation !!. The other grouse if i may have with the car is that it misses on 1-2 safety features that you get abroad but are removed in India and i wish the car had those otherwise its very well loaded and in my opinion better equipped then the E class. Adding a very good bonus to the mix is that the ES is currently giving me 19.8 kmpl which just blows every other car away even the diesels. So if the after sales and purchase prices can be kept in check by Toyota India then i think the Lexus is a far better bet than even Tesla because like ive spoken above Tesla isnt very customer friendly.

Last edited by M00M : 28th January 2021 at 02:19.
M00M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 05:10   #68
BHPian

I would not spend that kind of money given a choice if at all on a luxury automotive brand in India (I absolutely dislike the prospect of scratches/dings/dents on my cars & that’s something almost impossible to avoid given the traffic conditions in most of Indian cities) however if I have to pick up a luxury brand then it would have to be Lexus.

I have never owned a Lexus but whatever I have heard from some of friends/family is absolutely outstanding be it the initial buying/dealer experience/nice interiors/suspension or the bulletproof reliability of the machine itself. Their current line up in India is somewhat limited but that may change in the future. In fact, I’m considering a body on frame Lexus SUV as my next acquisition.

I wouldn’t touch the RR/Jaguar, or Porsche for I have heard far too many horror stories (including my brother in-law’s brand-new Porsche Macan that left him stranded on the highway and the car had to be put on a flatbed to be taken back to the dealer).

Volvo remains somewhat of an enigma and I’m just not interested in Tesla unless I’m absolutely left with no choice, its head snapping acceleration notwithstanding.

Rs 50 lacs is a lot of money (at least for me) and I would like to spend it on a vehicle brand that I have sufficient amount of confidence in. I don’t particularly like the insipid handling of some of its cars or the Lexus signature grill but on cars like ES 350 it does look good (or maybe these have grown on me over the years). I actually almost pulled the trigger on a brand-new ES 350 back in 2019 before my wife reminded me that I should get a 535i instead and opt for a Lexus a bit later in life.

I’m no longer 25 and appreciate serious attention to detail/engineering/reliability/nice interiors/suspension over 0-100 acceleration figures and over the top styling/overtly complex overload of electronics etc.

Therefore, Lexus it is, for me.
Vikram Arya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 06:45   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Outside of the big 3 Germans, which luxury brand would you spend your hard earned 50 lakh - 1.5 crore rupees on? Please note this is a multiple choice poll, so do vote for all the brands that you are drawn to.

IMHO, the biggest challenger will be Tesla. Even if their launch pricing is too high, Tesla will eventually go the CKD route and make the prices more acceptable. When it comes to EV technology, Tesla is at least 5 - 7 years ahead of everyone else (I have driven EVs from all the big brands before making this statement). Furthermore, Tesla is also a "super cool" badge which will attract many wealthy Indians. In the USA, the Model S has outsold the mighty S-Class in some years. China? Tesla is chipping away at the market-share of the Germans. Tesla has the brand as well as the product to attack the entrenched players IMHO.
Considering Tesla to be a luxury car maker and buying a Tesla Model 3 at 80L and realizing the truth later could be shocking.

Tesla was, is and will be a pioneer in EVs. No doubt about that. If one is after an EV and has loads of money in India then sure yeah it'll make sense. It's a super cool badge to have and be associated with so it may find buyers. Just be realistic on the expectations. Compare the interiors of the Mercedes C Class and the Model 3 and you'll get what I mean.

The level of fit and finish and overall quality in a Model 3 is so inconsistent and not up there that a VW Golf beats it hands down on those areas. Don't even think about comparing to the Audis. I'm not speaking from hearsay but personal experience of test driving the Model S and spending time with a Model 3 at the showroom. The cars are loaded with technology and have spectacular acceleration that'll blow you off. But I'll have to be a part of the Tesla cult to live with the inconsistent quality which I can't. Personally, I'll wait for their quality to match the asking price.

People complain about dashboard interior trim peeling off on a Volvo and condensation on a BMW's headlamps. Well, you have no idea what Tesla's build quality has in store for you.

What India misses is a bunch of brands that punch above their weight. Like Skoda for example. Brands like Skoda or Mazda have raised the bar so high for some of their cars/variants that they offer so much more luxury and features than the mid-variants of BMW-Merc-Audi. These cars will appeal to buyers after stealth-wealth. These are ones that don't want to show the world their wealth. Then there's people who want to do the opposite. They'll have the lowest trim 3 Audi with manual seat adjustments and A/C but it has the logo though

Last edited by kiku007 : 28th January 2021 at 06:47.
kiku007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 07:57   #70
Team-BHP Support

I've voted for Volvo and Land Rover/Range Rover.
IF I had the money.. I'd like the Volvo XC40 as the small car, and a Defender or RR Sport as the main family car.

However, "IF I had the money" being the operative term here, this is purely academic and a wishlist.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2021, 23:45   #71
BHPian

Some of the INfiniti models are very nicely designed bringing reliability of Nissan in a luxury package. While brand recognition in India might not be much, but Cadillac has some very good offerings which simple ooze luxury.
Old 29th January 2021, 01:04   #72
BHPian

Lexus offers a perfect blend of quality, reliability, performance and style.

The Lexus customer service experience is second to none.

Voted for the Lexus.
Old 29th January 2021, 12:59   #73

Having driven an Alfa Romeo : I would say it stands out for presence on the road as well as the drivability is way better than any of the top 3 luxury cars you mentioned.

My Vote is for this one :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_R...omatic_2.1.jpg

Most Viewed