Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2021, 17:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Kia sells 2 lakh cars in India in just 17 months

Kia has sold 2 lakh cars in India in just 17 months to become the fastest carmaker to reach this milestone.

Kia sells 2 lakh cars in India in just 17 months-2020kiasonet01.jpg

Kia sales in India had crossed the 1 lakh mark in July 2020. The next 1 lakh units were sold in a record period of 6 months.

Kia currently offers three models in India - Seltos, Sonet and the Carnival MPV. According to the company, nearly 60% of the total cars sold were top-end variants. Over 1.06 lakh cars sold are equipped with the UVO connect feature, which is 53% of the brand's total sales.

The Seltos is the highest selling model with 1,49,428 units. The carmaker has sold 45,195 units of the Sonet and 5,409 units of the Carnival.

Kia's manufacturing facility in Anantapur, Andhra Pradesh is currently running on two shifts. The carmaker plans to operate three shifts and aims to fully utilize the capacity of 3 lakh units per annum by 2022. The next step for the brand will be to expand its network into Tier III and Tier IV markets.
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Kia sells 2 lakh cars in India in just 17 months

This is a great achievement by Kia with just 2 hot selling models (Carnival is pricey and it's segment itself is not hot), a new entrant giving other well established companies a run for their money and sitting comfortably at top 4 spot in Indian market (sales wise) is not an easy task. Biggies like GM failed here to grasp the pulse of Indians.

Kia has entered India with all guns blazing and hit bullseye. The ongoing QA issues are no way hindering the sales. They are on rampage even after Seltos crash test results. I thought the sales may plunge after crash results, but I was wrong.

I just wish Kia quickly addresses their customer complaints like M&M. The moment you send an email to customer service, the regional CSR from Mahindra will contact you within 24 hours and will try their best to resolve the issue or arrange for an alternate. They still have a long road ahead of them.

I personally would not recommend any Kia to anyone, but that's just my personal opinion. Credit due where it is, well done Kia .
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 18:29   #3
BHPian

First year is job well done.

Not a good time for this post I would say. (Referring to the head unit swapping debacle)

Sales for the first year is good. Next phases is when it gets tricky and hope they can keep hold of the customers trust on the long run.
SideView is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 19:33   #4
BHPian

While it is great news for the brand and the market, I worry a little about reliability. I hope they treat the minor issues that are being reported with highest priority. The head unit swap issue looks really bad. What's the use of a top notch car when it is not safe even in an authorized service station? Kia needs to nip the problem at the bud, lest they will go the Skoda way.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 20:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Kia has sold 2 lakh cars in India in just 17 months to become the fastest carmaker to reach this milestone.

......The next 1 lakh units were sold in a record period of 6 months.
Kia Motors have successfully demonstrated what a winning formula is for the Indian market.
- That OEMs cannot treat Indian market as a dumping ground for their second grade, cheap feeling products with skimped features.

- Just look at the Kia Seltos, its just absolutely "quality" feature packed and has a very premium feel. It offers so much bang for the buck.
Kia has just read the Indian midset very well. No more second grade stuff for India (will talk about the safety aspect later below)

Jeep definitely has taken some positive hint from this success formula and it shows so well in their 2021 Compass.
The 2021 Jeep Compass is just mind-blowingly fabulous with premium feel and amazing feature list.
Hope other manufacturers too stop treating our market like we don't deserve anything good. The truth is any product that has that premium feel and though expensive yet feels value for money sells here.

I believe this trend is just the start, just wait will the 2021 Mahindra XUV 500 comes out, it will blow every competitor out with its premium and feature packed offering. Safety should be good too with a stiffer frame at the core, now that Mahindra has inputs from both Ford and learnings from the solid Ssangyong SUV maker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Sales for the first year is good. Next phases is when it gets tricky and hope they can keep hold of the customers trust on the long run.
Well, the poor crash test of the Kia Seltos was a shocker to say the least. Hope Kia realizes this sooner than later and doesn't skimp on those ultra high strength steel at the right places just like they offer it in their other market offerings.
By not compromising safety, Kia, you will definitely gain more customers and not lose in the long run.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 25th January 2021 at 20:27.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 21:23   #6
BHPian

Congratulations to them, I loved them for more than they offered in the debut year and I hate them for the path they're going in the present scenario. The recent quality related threads leave a sore taste for anyone who come across them, if they don't put their stuff together than it's not a rosy road. I don't remember either Maruti or Hyundai behaving like that even after establishing monopoly in the respective segments.
Abhi5868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 09:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that Kia and to some extent, Hyundai, appeal to those buyers who "like" enjoying the features of their cars more than they "love" them as a core automotive product-this is a general feeling, and no offence to Bhpians, I am myself a '20 Creta owner.
I think that most newer Hyundais and Kias will make their way to the used car market in a span of 3-4 years, because people would have done with their enjoyment of the fit-finish, features/bling/convenience that these cars offer, and move on to the next. As opposed to that, a lot of people may "love" their Maruti Suzukis, Hondas and keep using them for atleast 6-7 years because of the utility, reliability and perceived low running/maintenance cost.
That , to me atleast, explains the huge popularity of newer Hyundais and now Kia amongst the Indian buyers. Of course, agreements and disagreements are welcome.
fhdowntheline is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 10:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Super achievement. Car makers who gave up on India, or are in the process of giving up on our country should learn (and fine tune their strategies) from KIA. Indians seek value for the price they pay, and (as a manufacturer) keeping your ears close to the ground and understand the value they seek is key.
Old 26th January 2021, 11:37   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I have a feeling that Kia and to some extent, Hyundai, appeal to those buyers who "like" enjoying the features of their cars more than they "love" them as a core automotive product-this is a general feeling, and no offence to Bhpians, I am myself a '20 Creta owner.
Biggest chunk of buyers, say 90% of the them fall in this category that you mentioned and so Hyundai/Kia will do well in our market.
Quote:
I think that most newer Hyundais and Kias will make their way to the used car market in a span of 3-4 years, because people would have done with their enjoyment of the fit-finish, features/bling/convenience that these cars offer, and move on to the next. As opposed to that, a lot of people may "love" their Maruti Suzukis, Hondas and keep using them for atleast 6-7 years because of the utility, reliability and perceived low running/maintenance cost.
Exactly my observation, Hyundais are finding their way to the used car market faster than say Marutis, the holding period is very short(say half) in case Hyundai cars compared to Maruti cars.
Quote:
That , to me atleast, explains the huge popularity of newer Hyundais and now Kia amongst the Indian buyers. Of course, agreements and disagreements are welcome.
Apart from the popularity due to bling, they are making sure that only rosy side of their cars and service is visible to the prospective buyers while stowing away all the issues of their cars with the help auto-journos and websites. See how no mainstream automotive media dares to report Hyundai/Kia issues which were present since long. It is all done by hook or by crook.

Last edited by wheelguy : 26th January 2021 at 11:50.
wheelguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 15:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Totally agree!! I think a lot of buyers in India focus much more on what others perceive their cars to be rather than their own rationale. You see bling and those nice touchscreens and a bit over the top designs then it is a hit here! The competition might have cars which handle better, more robust and more reliable etc but these qualities dont show up when you see a car, do they ?
No offence to any Kia / Hyundai owners, I think as a business model the company understood the superficial importance prevalent in our society and nailed it.

My own wife does not want me to go for a nice available used Fiat Linea MJD as it is a FIAT and instead wants to check a Hyundai Elantra ( going dirt cheap these days) . Well I decided I do not want anything now and will continue using the Honda city
Old 26th January 2021, 19:23   #11
BHPian

Hats off to KIA for reading the Indian consumer to perfection and nailing it with their very first products! Not altogether surprising, considering Hyundai got it right at their entry itself all those years ago in what is a market as tricky as a fifth-day Kanpur wicket, and had all that experience and insight to leverage for KIA. KIA's entry obviously coincided happily with a timely blossoming of unbridled affection for SUVs and SUV-like hatches, and with a handsome feature-list, sharp if not classically beautiful looks, and smart pricing, they've enjoyed justifiable success and pepped up the scene quite a bit. I just hope they focus on safety and customer experience to strengthen the brand, because competition is really good for the industry, especially from value-focused players like KIA.
Old 26th January 2021, 19:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spot on. The Koreans had their finger on the pulse of Indians and hence, they have mastered the game. Load up with gizmos, mood lights and styling elements and you're in business. As you have hinted, these cars do not appear that well-engineered at the core where it matters. I still see 98 model Citys on roads but not Accents. They don't seem to age well. Right here on temabhp, we see several issues. A 300-rupee bolt shearing off and taking out the pulley with it took the cake. Come on, Hyundai. Poor quality on a 300 rupee fastener? And, it's not like Hyundai cars are priced reasonably like they once were when they first set foot here. Of late, their prices are going through roof, case in point, new i20. I always thought Jazz was overpriced until new i20 happened.

What I have observed is, if you want bullet proof reliability, go for Honda/Toyota. For gizmos. Hyundai/Kia. For robust build, Skoda/Fiat. For low running costs, Tata/Mahindra.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 20:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The last set of surveys JD Power released were dominated by Hyundai models in 2019.

Santro , i20, Venue, Verna, Creta all toppers in initial quality. Hyundai topped sales satisfaction, customer service index and APEAL study by JD Power.

This is no gimmick, they are invested in our market in a big way , the learnings from Hyundai is well utilised by KIA, whether they can sustain the momentum or not is to be seen.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2021, 20:22   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
What I have observed is, if you want bullet proof reliability, go for Honda/Toyota. For gizmos. Hyundai/Kia. For robust build, Skoda/Fiat. For low running costs, Tata/Mahindra.
Yeah, but it isnt as simple as that-because a lot of it is perception like I said. I asked our office transport team once on the general mx cost of their cabs. I was told that Maruti, (NOT Tata) were amongst the most cost effective cars in their domain atleast. Followed by Toyota, Ford (again plagued by perception).
An Uber car driver who I once discussed with said that Hyundai diesel (Grand I10) was extremely frugal and reliable. His car had run over 100K km in less than 2 years.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2021, 09:49   #15
BHPian

Creta / Seltos today is what Honda City was for the upper middle class families yesterday. It is their aspirational car and a perceived mark of success. I see many buyers going for Creta/Seltos blindly just because they need a big car with loads of bling.

The makers have got a pulse of Indian market which values chrome & bling over everything else. A great marketing strategy indeed
maheshm619 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed