Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2021, 17:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra XUV300 Petrol AMT launched at Rs 9.95 lakh

Mod Note: Team-BHP's Mahindra XUV300 Petrol Automatic (AMT) Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

The Mahindra XUV300 Petrol is now available with an automated manual transmission (AMT). The SUV comes in three variants - W6, W8 and W8 (O) with prices starting at Rs. 9.95 lakh (Ex-showroom, Mumbai).

Mahindra XUV300 Petrol AMT launched at Rs 9.95 lakh-xuv300-1a.jpg

In addition to introducing an AMT option for the XUV300 Petrol, Mahindra now offers an electric sunroof on the mid-variants of both the manual and AMT versions. The W6 Petrol MT with sunroof is priced at Rs. 9.4 lakh (ex-showroom).

Mahindra XUV300 Petrol AMT launched at Rs 9.95 lakh-xuv300-petrol-autoshift.jpg

Engine & Transmission:

The XUV300 is powered by a BS6 compliant 1.2-litre, turbocharged petrol engine that puts out 110 BHP and 200 Nm. It now gets an optional 6-speed AMT. The gearbox has a Manual Mode and Creep function. It also has a feature that prevents the car from moving in Auto or Manual mode if the doors are open.

Mahindra XUV300 Petrol AMT launched at Rs 9.95 lakh-xuv300-bluesense-plus.jpg

The SUV is also available with a 1.5-litre diesel engine that produces 115 BHP and 300 Nm. This engine gets a 6-speed AMT option as well.

The W8 (O) AMT comes with Mahindra's BlueSense Plus connected car features. These include remote vehicle controls, location-based features, safety & security alerts, vehicle information and in-car controls.

Colours:

The XUV300 is now available in two new exterior colours - Dual-tone Red and Dual-tone Aquamarine (W8 (O) AMT variants) and Galaxy Grey (W6 MT, W8 MT and W8 (O) MT variants).

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 6th February 2021 at 14:39. Reason: Adding link to review
TusharK is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:06   #2
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV300 Petrol AMT launched at Rs 9.95 lakh

Stopped reading as soon as I saw "AMT". Neither am I against AMTs nor I want to start AMT bashing here, in fact, I almost purchased Celerio AMT for my first car. But having driven few AMTs (Nexon, Santro, Desire), I have lost whatever interest I had in AMTs.

Nexon MT is a great car to drive in its segment but the AMT version is simply hopeless. Same is with Mahindra AMT. Only Maruti's AMT seems to be doing slightly better.

What is wrong with TATA, Maruti and Mahindra that they keep pushing AMTs with cars like XUV300 or Nexon? AMT in entry level hatch makes sense from price and usage perspective but for these compact SUVs, customer is already paying a premium and willing to extend their budget( e.g. Venue/Sonet DCT).
TheVegabond is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 19:13   #3
BHPian

Very disappointed. There were speculations of a proper TC gearbox to be launched with the petrol engine. AMT is such a huge mismatch with this premium car.
Col Mehta is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 19:40   #4
BHPian

Sheer disappointment!! AMT just can't do justice with the 1.2 L turbo-charged petrol motor which can produce 110 BHP and 200 Nm.

They should have introduced either TC or DCT gearbox. Huge opportunity missed.
Deadpool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 19:56   #5
BHPian

1 lakh rupees for an Amt gearbox is just bonkers. Just Mahindra things!
ATRONIX is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 20:48   #6
BHPian

What do they mean by "double kick-down shifts for zero intervention overtaking"?
Old 2nd February 2021, 20:49   #7
Team-BHP Support

lol all that hoopla and they got the AMT. I take back what I said here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Welcome to 2021 Mahindra where it took you 2 years to realise what 2 folks from Team-BHP who came down to Goa for the media drive in Feb 2019 told you after driving the XUV3OO.

Mahindra probably found the feedback forms Suhaas307 and I filled where we mentioned to them as well told the guys over lunch that the XUV3OO is brilliant but you need an automatic badly. And given how well the XUV3OO drives, please do not do the cardinal mistake of putting in AMT and thinking it will work on this.

This XUV3OO needs a proper Torque converter automatic that suits the premium image and drive quality of this vehicle. Definitely not a clumsy AMT unit.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4972151 (Mahindra XUV300 Petrol AT coming! Could be torque-converter AT)

What a damp squib. Silly AMT when Kia/Hyundai have DCT options, Renault/Nissani have CVT and Ford uses a 6 speed TC.

They shouldn't have bothered investing on this at all. It is utterly pointless to get an AMT now.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd February 2021 at 20:55.
Vid6639 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 21:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Not again mahindra. XUV3OO is such a solid car but AMT in this segment(10L and above) is just not done. Its a shame that both the safest cars(5*) in this segment(Nexon & XUV3OO) still don't have the transmission they deserve.

If Indian Magnite/Kiger can actually score a 4* GNCAP with stable bodyshell, they would make a strong case in the CVT guise for folks looking for reliable & frugal AT option with high GC

Last edited by SoumenD : 2nd February 2021 at 21:16.
SoumenD is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 21:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

XUV3OO deserves a better gearbox. After hearing harrowing experiences from TUV3OO AMT owners, I am not much confident on AMT by Mahindra. Not sure why Mahindra is doing half-hearted attempt for automatics in this segment. Hope better sense prevails as there are many customers out there looking for automatic these days.
Old 2nd February 2021, 22:24   #10
BHPian

If your automatic car costs more than 7 lakhs and it has an AMT, you're doing it wrong.

There's really not much else to be said.

I test drove the Nexon AMT when I was looking at automatics and still remember the synced head bobbing of the sales personnel sitting in the back seat.
SS8939 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 00:39   #11
BHPian

I feel sad for Mahindra's petrol engines. They look so good on paper and everyone who has driven it has only good things to tell about it. I really hope some mass market cars take these engines.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd February 2021 at 08:23. Reason: Poorly Typed Posts
lina is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd February 2021, 00:58   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Where is the Aisin TC gearbox that has been rumoured since the BS6 transition days!!!

Read somewhere they were going to launch the Aisin TC in the petrol version, while I wondered why couldn't they have the Aisin TC in the diesel automatic also.

Voila. Mahindra gave AMT to the petrol also.
No offence to the XUV300 AMT owners, but the vehicle just needs a proper torque converter gearbox.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:32   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Holy cow, is the price premium really a lakh? Can someone confirm? That is insane.

Mahindra's marketing + sales sucks; they should all be fired. Even the damn website isn't yet updated (says AMT just with the diesel):
Mahindra XUV300 Petrol AMT launched at Rs 9.95 lakh-screenshot-20210203-082310.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lina View Post
everyone who has driven it has only good things to tell about it
Truly. The turbo-petrol is a fantastic motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Where is the Aisin TC gearbox that has been rumoured since the BS6 transition days!!!:
Seriously! The car is selling well, doing 4000+ units a month. But it desperately needs a good Petrol AT which is really the customer preference today.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 08:55   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Holy cow, is the price premium really a lakh? Can someone confirm? That is insane.
W6 will now come with sunroof as standard so this may be the reason for the difference
castiel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 09:38   #15
BHPian

I truly do not understand the bubble some manufacturers live in. The best sellers like Kia have a DCT, the ones clawing to make a comeback like Nissan have a CVT. Mahindra know this already, it's not like they came out with these options after M&M launched this. Then there is the severe beating their image took with the TUV fiasco. Yet they 'launch' the exact same technology! It would have still been acceptable if this was at the time of the car's reveal. One could have passed it off as desperation to have an auto tranny at the time of launch. Truly baffling. First the tiny boot and now this. Is there no such thing as market research anymore?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed