Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2021, 21:14   #76
BHPian

Re: Vehicle scrappage policy - Impact on Delhi-NCR cars?

Guys, I came across this today. Do they mean we remove the IC mechanicals and fit in electric motor along with batteries?
Vehicle scrappage policy - Impact on Delhi-NCR cars?-b12403701ee24d49ad6209a45a957a20.png

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd April 2022 at 07:22. Reason: Unsupported smileys
Old 21st November 2021, 11:19   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyadeeptsi View Post
Guys, I came across this today. Do they mean we remove the IC mechanicals and fit in electric motor along with batteries?
In theory, yes. Such kits are already being made by small startups and available in the market (see link below)

https://www.rushlane.com/amp/maruti-...-12409925.html

However the pricing and performance of these kits will likely pose a big challenge if someone even wants to go for an EV. Investing 5 to 6 lacs in a car that is already 10 years old would not make sense practically, unless some sort of subsidy/incentives are offered by the govt.

It will likely be a good solution for vintage cars or if someone wants to retain their cars for sentimental value, but not a viable solution for masses IMO.

Last edited by vb-saan : 2nd April 2022 at 07:23. Reason: Typos
nasir88 is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th December 2021, 08:09   #78
BANNED

As per a new update, below are some of the major pointers.
  • Diesel vehicles older than 10 years and Petrol vehicles older than 15 years will be deregistered from Jan 1, 2022.
  • NOC will be given so that these vehicles can be registered in other states.
  • If the diesel vehicle is older than 15 years then no NOC will be given. The vehicle has to be scraped.
s.jain1990 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 09:50   #79
BHPian

I do have a question here, lets say I have a Diesel vehicle which is currently HR51 registered and would be completing its 10 yrs in another two yrs from now. If I transfer the vehicle to UP32, and drive this vehicle in Delhi - NCR region, would the 10yr old Diesel vehicle policy still be applicable for it after two years from now?

I seriously don't want to part away with my vehicle due to this policy of the region.
Old 15th March 2022, 12:39   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivanshu View Post
I do have a question here, lets say I have a Diesel vehicle which is currently HR51 registered and would be completing its 10 yrs in another two yrs from now. If I transfer the vehicle to UP32, and drive this vehicle in Delhi - NCR region, would the 10yr old Diesel vehicle policy still be applicable for it after two years from now?

I seriously don't want to part away with my vehicle due to this policy of the region.
It applies uniformly to any car plying on Delhi roads (even passing through) irrespective of their state of registration.
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 12:51   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
It applies uniformly to any car plying on Delhi roads (even passing through) irrespective of their state of registration.
So that means I have no other option rather than parting ways with my vehicle. Which is sad
Old 1st April 2022, 16:53   #82
BHPian

Seeking help from fellow BHPians! I'm looking for a first car for my sister, she is a good driver and now is looking to get her own ride for office/ city commute post her maternity break to be used in Bhopal. Now I've searched many online classifieds starting with TBHP classifieds, Olx etc. for a diesel hatchback or CSUV around 4-5L available up North, not looking for a specific make or model just a simple hassle free car, scouted from Ritz, Swift to i10, i20, Eco sport, Duster and the likes, diesel only since the monthly commute might be on the higher side. Unfortunately haven't been able to find a clean car within budget, some or the other issues makes us walk away, if the car is good, it's either priced too steeply or it gets sold out in no time. This is even more difficult especially me not being able to physically have a look since I'm in Bangalore, I'm not searching in here since cars are priced steeply in KA and my sister is not in a position to scout cars with a toddler in Bhopal. Why used? We may get a good and safer car for the budget as compared to new and also there might be a need to upgrade in a few years once the kids grow up. If any BHPians in and around Delhi NCR/ MP/ UP are parting with their beloved car, could you please PM me? Not asking to sell for peanuts but sharing a request in anticipation to get any leads on a BHPians preloved car (rare to find this category of cars anywhere else) and to save both us and the seller from dealer hassles. Thanks much!

PS: I'm also looking to get a Fortuner 4x4 for quite sometime, maybe it's too much of an ask. Mods please feel free to merge or delete if this seems inappropriate in here.

Last edited by Shanky_1002 : 1st April 2022 at 17:06.
Old 24th April 2023, 23:23   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi Transport Department has de-registered more than 54 lakh vehicles of all categories including two,three,four and four plus wheelers that have outlived the mandatory 10/15 year life period. That's a stupendous more than 5.4 million. The department since March 29, 2023 is choosing localities and is finding such old vehicles physically , to be sent to scrapyards. About 100 vehicles per day are being located, destined for scrapyards. The report also states that automobiles from the turn of the 18-19th century have been deregistered. We have a vintage preservation policy that became law effective 15.07.2021 and it's a wonder as to how such older vehicles were also de-registered.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...335076892.html

The auto majors who have setup scrapping facilities around the NCR are bound to make profits. Such autocratic "end of life" have been decided by persons who have very wrongly also viewed privately owned automobiles as chief polluters.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th April 2023 at 23:27.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 12:49   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Delhi Transport Department has de-registered more than 54 lakh vehicles of all categories including two,three,four and four plus wheelers that have outlived the mandatory 10/15 year life period. That's a stupendous more than 5.4 million. The department since March 29, 2023 is choosing localities and is finding such old vehicles physically , to be sent to scrapyards. About 100 vehicles per day are being located, destined for scrapyards. The report also states that automobiles from the turn of the 18-19th century have been deregistered. We have a vintage preservation policy that became law effective 15.07.2021 and it's a wonder as to how such older vehicles were also de-registered.

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...335076892.html

The auto majors who have setup scrapping facilities around the NCR are bound to make profits. Such autocratic "end of life" have been decided by persons who have very wrongly also viewed privately owned automobiles as chief polluters.
Since the vehicle registration is done for a specific term (usually 15 years), its termination upon completion of the term would be automatic; where is the need to deregister it? De-registration would of course make sense in the case of diesel vehicles older than 10 years which cannot be plied in Delhi NCR because of the NGT order but whose registration was for 15 years and is yet to expire.

Have there been any cases of parked vehicles being taken away by the authorities without the consent of the owner? What if the vehicle is parked in private parking?

I would assume vintage vehicles would need to be registered afresh, under the category created for them, in order to exempt them.
Old 25th April 2023, 13:06   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Delhi Transport Department has de-registered more than 54 lakh vehicles of all categories including two,three,four and four plus wheelers that have outlived the mandatory 10/15 year life period. That's a stupendous more than 5.4 million. The department since March 29, 2023 is choosing localities and is finding such old vehicles physically , to be sent to scrapyards. About 100 vehicles per day are being located, destined for scrapyards.
Is it even remotely possible for people to give away their cars even if officials locate them near their registered addresses? I am pretty sure they won't be successful to find 5L vehicles to be scrapped. We Indians, don't part with our belongings so easily and this is something which is not cheap.

Quote:
This whole policy was deliberately designed to benefit manufacturers. Nobody junks their car when it is fully functional and comfortable. Delhi is not that rich, infact, India is not that rich where we can dispose off just 10 year old vehicles including Trucks which are not even remotely cheap. Heck, even loans these days go upto 10 years.

No matter what they say, this policy is 100% flawed and rubbish. If they have so many problems with diesel and petrol vehicles why not just stop their registrations.

The point is their priorities are not aligned to that of a common citizen.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 13:12   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Quote:
Delhi Transport Department has de-registered more than 54 lakh vehicles of all categories including two,three,four and four plus wheelers that have outlived the mandatory 10/15 year life period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Since the vehicle registration is done for a specific term (usually 15 years), its termination upon completion of the term would be automatic
I have a query regarding the time limit. Suppose there is a vehicle that was manufactured and first registered in, say 2011. In year 2015, the vehicle was transferred and re-registered in another state. During this re-registration, the RC was again issued for 15 years (in this example, year 2030). Tax is paid till year 2030.

So, what's the time limit till when this vehicle can be driven in Delhi/ NCR/ other states ?
Old 25th April 2023, 13:30   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
I have a query regarding the time limit. Suppose there is a vehicle that was manufactured and first registered in, say 2011. In year 2015, the vehicle was transferred and re-registered in another state. During this re-registration, the RC was again issued for 15 years (in this example, year 2030). Tax is paid till year 2030.

So, what's the time limit till when this vehicle can be driven in Delhi/ NCR/ other states ?
Irrespective of year of transfer to another state, vehicle's manufacturing date and date of registration won't change, meaning your vehicle life wont increase.
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2023, 20:18   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Irrespective of year of transfer to another state, vehicle's manufacturing date and date of registration won't change, meaning your vehicle life wont increase.
Manufacturing date is irrelevant. The calculation of 10 or 15 years will be done from the date of the first registration.
directinjection is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 08:46   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Manufacturing date is irrelevant. The calculation of 10 or 15 years will be done from the date of the first registration.
In my understanding, the enforcing cops usually know about the current running series and the series till which vehicles are obsolete in that district/ state. They may not flag all vehicles from other states which look well maintained (particularly vehicles registered in NCR with comparatively recent series, as mentioned in my OP).

So, a follow-up question. What may be their SOP for identifying such vehicles ? I am having one such vehicle, which is well maintained and don't want to part ways with it. Shall I test my luck ?
Old 26th April 2023, 11:56   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
In my understanding, the enforcing cops usually know about the current running series and the series till which vehicles are obsolete in that district/ state. They may not flag all vehicles from other states which look well maintained (particularly vehicles registered in NCR with comparatively recent series, as mentioned in my OP).

So, a follow-up question. What may be their SOP for identifying such vehicles ? I am having one such vehicle, which is well maintained and don't want to part ways with it. Shall I test my luck ?
I would advise against trying your luck. Recently, my 2010 NCR registered Palio Stile was stopped by a cop in Gurgaon and his first question was whether my car was petrol or diesel. He let me go when I told him that it was petrol (and hence still street-legal). The guy knew that (a) Palio Stile is an old car and (b) the car had both petrol and diesel versions.

The cops seem to be knowledgeable and well trained in identifying old vehicles even without checking the registration number series which requires greater effort and attention to detail.
directinjection is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks