Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2021, 17:55   #76
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 facelift spied sans camouflage. EDIT: Launched as Bolero Neo at Rs. 8.48 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
If its on the same chassis as the Thar (mentioned in the launch video), should we expect a 4/5 star rating on GNCAP?

I know it takes a lot of other factors, but given Mahindra's recent dedication towards safety, should we at least imagine that it will?
Side facing seats as seen in the brochure, are never going to bring in safety ratings, remember side facing seats in the Thar were discontinued for the same reason.
Old 13th July 2021, 17:58   #77
BHPian

Re: Mahindra TUV300 facelift spied sans camouflage. EDIT: Launched as Bolero Neo at Rs. 8.48 lakhs

An urbanized, rugged and sensibly priced ladder frame RWD UV (equipped with mechanical locking differential in top trim) with decent creature comforts, I dig this car. Its kind of straddling many gaps between the monocoque sub compact SUVs and existing BoF cars in the market. How big that gap is and how many people will end up buying this, only time will tell. It should just get rid of the jump seats and be a 5 seater, this may even tag along with its Bolero 'Neo' creds.

Slightly OT: The well documented AMT horror stories aside, how reliable and robust was the original TUV3OO? I realize that it wasn't a huge sales success in its first innings, so information is a bit sparse, but as far as core mechanicals go - engine, manual transmission etc., what is the feedback like?
museycal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 18:49   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by museycal View Post
Slightly OT: The well documented AMT horror stories aside, how reliable and robust was the original TUV3OO? I realize that it wasn't a huge sales success in its first innings, so information is a bit sparse, but as far as core mechanicals go - engine, manual transmission etc., what is the feedback like?
I bought a 2018 January manufactured unit. Units manufactured up until December 2017 had older parts or suppliers and those were faulty. I don't remember everything, but here's what changed from Jan 2018 -
1) A newer rear suspension was fitted, which offered better rear wheel articulation.
2) Certain defective 'usual suspects' were replaced - coolant hose, turbo hose etc. My car hasn't had any problems with these but fellow members with older TUVs have had issues with these.
3) Some cosmetic changes occurred as of Jan 2018 as well - the rear hatch lost its bottle holder for instance.

More importantly, these later made models of the TUV have been proven to be mechanically well sorted out. The thing is built like a bull, there have been no faults with mine at least, there are no rattles and it just pulls whether I have 1 person on board or 10 Its sound dampening has been done quite well too; a friend who used to own a diesel Etios had driven it alongside me for 800 Km and he liked its silent cabin and its lack of turbolag. Of course, the short 5th gear is something that bothers me on the highway, but that's pretty much the Bolero's positioning, isn't it? Here you have a car that will withstand abuse, is reliable, but isn't "hot" on the highway.

This is a worthy Bolero successor in the making.
locusjag is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 19:27   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
Drove it today. Off the road too. Embargo in place but yeah the pic should give you a hint!
So did you test drive the top-end N10 trim with MLD? the pic certainly hints at that.
Does this car have full-flat folding rear seats to make for ample storage space once the side benches are removed?
Old 13th July 2021, 19:31   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra has launched the Bolero Neo in India at an introductory starting price of Rs 8.48 lakh (ex-shoowroom).

The top-spec N10 trim even comes equipped with a mechanically locking differential.
I presume that the mechanically locking differential is available only in the N10(O) variant, not the N10.
Looks like this is being marketed as Multi Terrain Technology.

The N10(O) has not been launched yet.

Source: https://auto.mahindra.com/suv/boleroneo Section: Variants & Pricing
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 19:51   #81
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Bolero Neo Plus will launch soon.

The Bolero Neo too will get a stretched variant - called the Mahindra Bolero Neo Plus. This will be a longer car - expected to be around 400-410 mm longer than the Bolero Neo.

Mahindra TUV300 facelift spied sans camouflage. EDIT: Launched as Bolero Neo at Rs. 8.48 lakhs-20210713_194845.jpg

Quote:
At least Neo for now, while we have launched the sub-4 metre - there is also the Neo Plus which will be the longer one. That's also definitely on the card in the immediate future. And yes, that we will be launching soon." says Veejay Nakra, CEO-Automotive Division, Mahindra and Mahindra.
Quote:
Nakra told, At this stage the plan to have an automatic on offer in the Bolero family is not a key priority. Neither is a petrol option.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th July 2021 at 19:55.
Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 19:58   #82
BHPian

When Mahindra has got Curise Control for a car that starts from ₹ 8.49 lacs on road (TUV 300 @ Bolero Neo), why don't they do the same in all the variants of Marazzo, which has the base variant at ₹12.00 lacs ex-showroom???

Regarding the new Bolero Neo, it is just like another launch from Mahindra. Not much hype given as the Thar or XUV700 is. Hope it does not become a KUV100 for Mahindra.
msa.30789 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 20:26   #83

Quite true, Stratos. I would like to term it as a BOLERO..ed TUV..

Quote:

The Bolero Neo too will get a stretched variant - called the Mahindra Bolero Neo Plus. This will be a longer car - expected to be around 400-410 mm longer than the Bolero Neo.

Attachment 2178743

https://Youtu.be/OAyZK6eTvi8

Source
Hope they will take care of the third row positioning and second row leg room in Bolero Neo Plus !!!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 14th July 2021 at 05:11. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts.
Old 13th July 2021, 21:38   #84
BHPian

Quote:

Source
Mr. Narkar makes a couple of interesting points:
  • Bolero Neo, Scorpio, Thar and the XUV would evolve into ‘portfolio’ of products. He says in as many words that there will be long wheel base version of the Neo. It also points to the five door Thar. From the XUV perspective it can be the 5oo, 7oo and the 9oo family. But what about the Scorpio? What would portfolio of Scorpio contain? May be, I am reading too much.
  • Neo will indeed go crash testing. In fact, I remember an interview Mr. Pawan Goenka gave to the same journalist. Mr. Goenka unequivocally averred that all future launches will be at least 4* rated on safety. We shouldn’t expect anything different from the Neo.
  • Neo comes with a limited slip differential. This seems like a poor mans 4WD. But if does the job in most conditions then why not. Many buyers of SUV today want more than just looks of an SUV (would include wannabe's like me). For such buyers this sounds like a very good proposition, as it keeps the complexity weight low.

My google search couldn't reveal other cars in India with a limited slip differential. So is the tech making a debut in India with the Neo? It will be interesting to see the customer response to the Neo.
schwartz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 22:01   #85
BHPian

IMHO that N10 at 9.99 is a great value for someone looking for a tough built and easy to maintain vehicle. It packs enough goodies and RWD gives it differentiation from the crowded sub-compact space.

Get rid of those last row stools and throw in an aftermarket parcel trey added with good seat covers and you have a nice cabin.

Need a couple of long test drives to check the ride quality though as bolero has a real truck like feel.
TheVegabond is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 23:08   #86
BHPian

Within 1 million ex showroom price it’s a very good VFM product which is unique in so many aspects! Bolero line up is currently the only sub 4 metres vehicle with BOF construction & RWD drivetrain and having 7 seats. The earlier generations of Bolero lacked the power, now the 3 pot engine from TUV would surely give it some extra energy. It is a product tailored for the rural & tier 2/3 cities where a lot of people would want practicality , ruggedness & seating capacity more than outright power or handling capability. And Mahindra very cleverly added the ingredient of reliability of a known product by changing the nameplate of TUV to Bolero Neo. And it should help the Bolero nameplate as well by making it more modernised by adding the elements like Cruise control, nice touch screen & MID while taking it’s ruggedness to one level up by adding MLD. IMO it’s a really nice product having it’s own differentiators among the pool of other vehicles in it’s class.
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 07:44   #87
BHPian

The fact that the mid-spec models of Bolero and Bolero Neo cost exactly the same goes to show that Mahindra has been making some insane profits with the Bolero, which sells despite its absurd price. The Neo has a newer chassis, a newer body shell, more safety features, better suspension, brakes, steering hardware etc.

Mahindra TUV300 facelift spied sans camouflage. EDIT: Launched as Bolero Neo at Rs. 8.48 lakhs-5c9b0263b0834d50ac49c5ba0cb69a50.png

Mahindra TUV300 facelift spied sans camouflage. EDIT: Launched as Bolero Neo at Rs. 8.48 lakhs-608e5e163ba8427d892dc619697b9732.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwartz View Post
But what about the Scorpio? What would portfolio of Scorpio contain? May be, I am reading too much.
I think the current gen Scorpio will be sold alongside the next generation model, as and when it launches. Thus the Scorpio range will include a lower priced old model and a more premium newer model.
Sanidhya mukund is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 08:58   #88
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I think the whole renaming of an existing car is a farce! Mahindra has tried it earlier with the Quanto being called as the Nuvosport!
However, in the case of the Bolero Neo, its a good move by Mahindra. Bolero has always been rural market led, and there is a strong brand recall in those markets, who may or may not have noticed the TUV300 at all. So when Mahindra offers the Bolero Neo as a more modern, but slightly smaller car, people will surely look at it as a good alternative to the ageing older Bolero. And in those markets Mahindra can actually push it as an alternative to the Brezza! The flip side is that the Bolero neo might just eat in to the existing Bolero’ sales. The newer urban customers may not prefer the Bolero nameplate.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 09:57   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwartz View Post
My google search couldn't reveal other cars in India with a limited slip differential. So is the tech making a debut in India with the Neo? It will be interesting to see the customer response to the Neo.
I believe the Tata Xenon did come with limited slip differential. Here is the reference.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-2010-a-4.html (Tata Xenon XT 2010)

So, the tech is not new.

Last edited by karthikd21 : 14th July 2021 at 09:58.
karthikd21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 09:58   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The flip side is that the Bolero neo might just eat in to the existing Bolero’ sales.
That was the intended outcome in 2015 - the TUV 300 was going to replace the Bolero! Mahindra's records will show that the Bolero's production was set to be ended with the TUV 300's launch. But Dr.Goenka was taken aback by the pushback from their customers in market surveys - the Bolero customer base said nothing else will do. Instead of sticking to their guns, they persisted with the Bolero and re-positioned the TUV 300 to the urban market and hurriedly marketed it to middle class folks...and the rest is marketing disaster history, since the TUV 300 sank in the market.

Whereas, if the Bolero Neo can upend the antique Bolero, that's quite an apt outcome. Yeah, I know a lot of us are scoffing at me for saying this, but sometimes a Qualis has to be retired for an Innova to be born.

Caveats: Mahindra are still not thinking straight; they have given the MLD as an option on the top-most variant. They are still not offering a 4x4 variant on the Bolero Neo. These are reasons why the Bolero will continue to be preferred over the Bolero Neo! I know what I would do if I were the Product Manager at Mahindra.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks