Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2021, 23:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Govt asks automakers to stop selling vehicles with purposefully downgraded safety standards

The car is an expensive affair.
Manufacturers and dealers cut their margins to make a sale.

Look at the prices of B2 hatches.
A top end costs close to 10L rupees on road.

More than 44% goes to taxes. Add fuel into the car, and it has 50%+ taxes.

But manufacturers should give top notch safety.
Customers should pay the higher cost.

The Government can keep the tax from inflated price but don’t ask us to set up crash test norms.
procrastinator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 23:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Govt asks automakers to stop selling vehicles with purposefully downgraded safety standards

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
"I am deeply perturbed by some news items that Indian models are purposefully downgraded by auto manufacturers' safety standards in India. This practice needs to be stopped...," he said.
Very welcome move. The first step towards change is when people talk about the need for change. I think Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) Secretary Giridhar Aramane has done the absolutely correct thing in trying to initiate these difficult conversations.

But reading his point regarding the comparison of fatalities between India and the US, I must point out that the high number of fatalities is also directly linked to the bad road conditions in India. As the Secretary MoRTH, it is his responsibility to ensure that the condition of roads improves. We cannot aspire to be a developed nation with such bad roads. Even the roads in our leading metros are deplorable, except with the exception of Delhi and cantonment areas.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2021, 23:41   #18
BHPian

I welcome the statement by the secretary wholeheartedly and fully support him in his views that many manufacturers are cutting corners in India while charging more in India than for their export models. I don’t wish to point fingers here but there is a big list of which manufacturers and which models are compromised in India.

However with such strict crash test, safety, body structural laws we also need partnership from people who drive cars, bikes, cycles, trucks and tempos, and buses. Every day I see at least someone coming on the wrong side of the road in city and highway and they do so soo shamelessly and when the cop tries to stop them they run away , I think many people here are busy criticising the secretary but I think the bucks stops with us also when we decided to take a short cut and go the short way instead of the long way to save some paisa on the fuel. If we don’t take these short cuts then we could not get into an accident either.

I think strict laws on car safety, mandatory GNCAP crash test of all cars, and strict penalties for drivers is the only way to reduce the number of fatalities on the roads in India and I’m speaking after being the victim of a bad accident a few years back so I know we need safer cars.
M00M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 05:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

The governments job is to regulate. If the manufacturers are selling to a degraded standard, raise them? It isn’t rocket science. There will be costs, one time, but there will also be a permanent cleanup of doubts, aspersions . Until then its just a vague wish list.
On that note, the government must make sure that its fleets comprise of cars with the lowest cost. Not thr Innova, Fortuner, but sub 10lac cars.
Only then they can experience the current safety standards. If you allow an Alto with single airbag to be roadworthy in all conditions, use it for official purposes.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 10th February 2021 at 06:00.
fhdowntheline is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 10:29   #20
MSC
BHPian

The best option will be if all variants of all cars had an "optional variant" as well which has all the bells and whistles related safety. With airbags & ABS already mandatory, this optional variant should include more airbags than standard variant, ESC, Hill Assist, roll over mitigation system etc etc. This will leave the choice over consumer completely. Even a person with low budget can have the safety equipment. Currently all safety equipment is usually given in top most variant which leads to cost rising to almost double of the base model, putting safety out of pocket of majority of people.
Best will be to have an E-optional, EX-optional, S-optional pack as well alongwith SX-optional as well.
This was topic of a thread some time back if I remember correctly.
MSC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 11:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

Instead of passing comments on what automobile manufacturers are doing, the Govt. should actually start implementing the long delayed crash testing policy.

The Crash testing facility at ICAT Gurgaon is already ready.
https://icat.in/testlabs/passive-safety-lab

So, why the delay in "testing" and "publishing" the results?

They should test all the vehicles on sale in India as soon as possible.
abhishek46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 12:18   #22
BHPian

Why is the government asking manufacturers to share patents? Im sure the Roads & Transport division can set up regulations that all manufacturers must follow.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in implementing laws that are adapted (or copied) from more developed countries. As long as the laws or regulations increase road safety for all users, what is the harm in implementing these laws.

Why did the govt. Implement the law about "single airbag" compulsory when they could have made it "dual airbags" right then. Yes the new law is coming into place soon, but why provide a partial law?

Why aren't crash tests mandatory for all cars? How many more lives need to be lost, before someone really wakes up.

Also why aren't people applying for DL educated about lane discipline, right of way, etc. These aren't some major or complicated things. Just basics of safe driving. How hard is it for the govt. to push for such educative measures?

I firmly believe if knowledge is shared with the layman, it will start to make a difference. Make theory tests more exhaustive during DL applications.

Appropriate education is the answer here.
Yes the govt. is taking steps towards betterment, but I feel these are very tiny steps that are taken very slow.

Last edited by John316_WRC : 10th February 2021 at 12:23. Reason: added a sentence.
Old 10th February 2021, 16:23   #23
BHPian

A positive approach of Indian government

The practice of downgrading safety features of International cars sold in India may come to an end with this positive approach of Indian government.
https://m.timesofindia.com/business/...w/80764500.cms
Hope this practice stops and manufacturers treat Indian lives as equal to others.
Prakritij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2021, 16:52   #24
BHPian

Re: A positive approach of Indian government

quoting an excerpt from the article below:

"Stating that some active safety systems which respond in event of accident such as anti-lock braking system and seat belts have been implemented in India, he said there is "some gap" and India needs to "implement all of these fully for all of the vehicles on the roads, not merely the new higher end models"."

Its not enough if the Govt just pressurizes the Auto manufacturers, Indian's need to have common sense and learn that laws are made for our safety and not do something just to avoid fines.

I am a passed off as a joker in my family for making everyone wear a seat belt including the rear middle passenger wearing the lap belt!. Nevertheless, I keep sending videos and articles about seat belts to my group of cousins hoping they would learn some day!
karthikd21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 10:07   #25
BHPian

Rather than elaborate press statements, why not give a 2% less tax on each model which confirms to 5 star safety and watch the magic unfold.

Manufacturers will be queuing up to get their models tested by GNCAP, and claim 5 star safety. Except our Maruti Suzuki which will bring one more add on “calculate Karo” taking about %accidents, % fatalities from accidents , cost of air bags and blah blah ..
charanreddy is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 10:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

The government shouldn't be comparing US accident statistics with India's. Reasons:
1. Many crashes involve a two-wheelers, three-wheelers & pedestrians who are the most vulnerable.
2. Indian drivers aren't disciplined.

I find the demand from MoRTH amusing, frustrating, and sad at the same time. The government is living in it's la-la land with safety standards probably from the 1960s.

Here's my wishlist for the government:
1. Make driver education compulsory with standardized tests across the country
2. Use the help of GNCAP to design a test and ensure customers get the benefit of reduced insurance premiums for cars with good crash ratings

Should be easy. *grabs popcorn* as I'm expecting the blame game to continue.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 11th February 2021 at 10:40.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 10:38   #27
BHPian

Re: A positive approach of Indian government

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthikd21 View Post
I am a passed off as a joker in my family for making everyone wear a seat belt including the rear middle passenger wearing the lap belt!. Nevertheless, I keep sending videos and articles about seat belts to my group of cousins hoping they would learn some day!
Lol So true! My family and friends say 'nothing happens to a backseat passenger!'. I tell them that you may lean forward and kill the belted-me; so even if you may or may not, I do value my life.

Stern hurtful words, yes! But better to hurt them by such words then being physically hurt and injured.

And oh! I NEVER start my car unless everyone has belted up, including the rear middle lap-belt using passenger. They struggle, they protest and give reasons like my arm is injured and can't belt up (wherein I get off and belt them up like a child) but I ain't budging.

I've seen that once you let them not wear it, they will keep giving you that same day's example.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 10:57   #28
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Whil reduced safety is an alarming and a very valid concern, all I see at the end of the day is somehow MoRTH putting in another tax/abolish used car market order that ends up hurting the common car owner even more instead of actually standing up against the automobile manufacturer lobby and us Indians being handed inferior products at higher prices.
Old 11th February 2021, 11:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Govt: Stop selling vehicles with downgraded safety standards

The government of India has sent out a stern message to manufacturers that are selling vehicles with downgraded safety standards in India.

Govt asks automakers to stop selling vehicles with purposefully downgraded safety standards-road-crash.jpg

The ministry of road transport and highways secretary Giridhar Aramane has stated that safety standards in some models are purposefully downgraded by auto manufacturers, which needs to stop. He also added that downgrading to sell in India is unpardonable.

It is said that very few have adopted the safety ratings system that is used by other brands for their high-end models. Aramane suggested that it is essential for all brands to get safety ratings for all their models. He also suggested that automakers should share patents that are related to safety.

According to the government, the number of road accidents taking place in India is 10 times less than that of the US, but the number of deaths is around 5 times more despite having slower cars and slower roads.

Source: TOI

Last edited by TusharK : 11th February 2021 at 11:11.
TusharK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2021, 11:18   #30
BANNED

Maruti will have a 'fruitful' discussion warding of anything untoward for sure.

This springs another thought I haven't seen being posted here.

If third party insurance is compulsory, why the pedestrian airbags aren't?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks