Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2021, 14:28   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

5th-gen Toyota Hiace launched in India at Rs 55 lakh ex-showroom

The Toyota Hiace has been introduced in India at a starting price of Rs 55 lakh (ex-showroom). As this is the fifth-gen Hiace (the sixth-gen car is already on sale in the international market), the features list is not as extensive as it could have been. Among the equipment offered on the MPV are a 2-DIN audio system with CD, USB and AUX support in the middle, and a space-efficient dash-mounted gear selector. Other features include dual front airbags, ABS with EBD, power steering, power windows, rear defogger, AC vents for each row, semi-reclining seats and power-sliding rear doors.

151hp power and 300Nm torque from the same 2.8-litre four-cylinder diesel engine as the Fortuner, albeit detuned.

Quote:
While an official launch is yet to take place, The MPV has been a long time coming as it has been shown multiple times in the past. However, the model that is being introduced in India is actually the outgoing version that has been on sale overseas since 2004. The latest-gen Hiace was introduced in some international markets in 2019.

For now, the Toyota Hiace will be sold in India as a limited import, with an initial batch of around 50 units having already reached our shores. The MPV is currently only available in white and silver and, as of now, will only be available in a single configuration.

-5th generation Toyota Hiace launched in India at Rs 55 lakh
-Hiace in India comes with a 151hp, 2.8-litre four-cylinder diesel engine
-6th generation Hiace already on sale in international markets
-The Hiace on sale is the GL and comes with a 14-seat configuration
5th-gen Toyota Hiace launched in India at Rs 55 lakh ex-showroom-screenshot-20210212-142652.png

5th-gen Toyota Hiace launched in India at Rs 55 lakh ex-showroom-screenshot-20210212-142635.png

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...55-lakh-419918

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 12th February 2021 at 14:31.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (31) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 14:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: 5th-gen Toyota Hiace launched in India at Rs 55 lakh ex-showroom

Toyota bosses: We don't know why we are doing it but we will do it.

Seriously what stopped them from launching current generation when it was a CBU anyway :S

For 55L, who is the target customer for this vehicle? The ultra rich already have their Vellfires.
amol4184 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 14:53   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

DOA ! I always thought of the Toyota Hiace's as luxury MUVs, until the day I sat in one. The fliace is a typical Toyota MUV - basic and functional. Agreed it may have a lot of seats and probably smart seating options - but at 55 lakhs, it's not at all worth it. It probably makes sense for hotel or travel companies who can get it cheaper under the EPCG Scheme.
v12 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 14:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

With just 50 units, this thing will be sold-out in no time. On a side note, they didn't even bother with a launch event
giri1.8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 14:59   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

No private buyer is going to buy this van, Toyota is straight up aiming at the 5 star hotels and resorts where it makes maximum sense. Although they should have brought the 6th gen Hiace and not the 5th gen.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 15:01   #6
BHPian

How dare Toyota is ? Launching an outdated model at absurd prices ? Forget the prices atleast they should have brought the current generation van !

Seriously are you seeing India as a dump yard, Toyota ? Shocked.
TorqueIndia is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 15:13   #7
BHPian

Toyota India Management - How to increase revenue for the current fiscal year before 31st, March 2021.
Some genius - Boss let's bring some outdated previous generation model as a CBU (HQ won't allow latest models for Indian market) under 2500 units rule and being a Toyota it will sell in no time.
Management - Amazing, let's get 5th gen Hilace and increase some revenue
karan0009 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 15:31   #8
BHPian

Probably not meant for private buyers any way.
I think this is more suited for hotels or tour operators. But at 55 lacs it's a pretty stiff sell.

I am not sure if the EPCG scheme is still active or not but if it is then this can make sense for hotels/tour operators who can get a substantial benefit on price by claiming this as a business expense.

Remember, earlier a lot of hotels had picked up the Camry when it was launched for some astronomical amount.

Toyota knows what it is doing. At least in this case.
veedub89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 15:49   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Wait WHAT!!!!???

The new gen Hiace was launched two years ago, and they are launching the previous gen here!!!
That too a model which has been on roads since my middle school days!!!
Atleast five plus years of planning and they bring in the previous gen model.
Definitely a Qualis moment.

Nothing against the model. Have driven it, and I believe it is decades ahead of any CVs currently on sale in India.
But for 55 lakhs. No sir. No

But I believe whatever units they are going to bring here will be sold out in no time. Anyway it was a popular import, so they thought maybe bring in the last of the production run.
Only consolation is that if its imported from Japan, will be the cheapest Made in Japan import.

But the pricing is waay too much. I guess just look at it the way we looked at the Landcruiser twins and the Vellfire.
An official import. That's it. With all the resultant taxes, customs and duties. Only thing they will ensure A.S.S.

And here I was daydreaming Toyota would bring in the Granvia to compete with the Carnival.

Last edited by DicKy : 12th February 2021 at 15:52.
DicKy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 15:50   #10
Senior - BHPian

More than the hotels, these are preferred by corporates to transport their foreign visitors. This is considered alternative to Force traveller. 55Lacs is steep price especially for a previous generation. In Bangalore RTT already owns a bunch of these . In these Corona times though, these would be hard to sell. That said I would not be surprised if some one gave a bulk order to Toyota and probably they are left with few more units from shipment and this is more of a clearance sale.
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 17:25   #11
BHPian

Toyota never learns. They just don’t understand that Indians won’t buy any overpriced car they peddle in the name of reliability (unless you are Maruti). Toyota should’ve brought in a 6th-gen with a better engine and more features. A 55 lakh vehicle with a 2 din audio player and no ESP? It’s more under featured than an Alto! It’s also too expensive to be sold just as a commercial people carrier.

Also, this vehicle is extremely unsafe: https://gulfnews.com/uae/stop-carryi...ves-1.66787002
dragracer567 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 17:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

For half a crore + this looks extremely utilitarian and devoid of luxuries. But in our country, for lack of options the corporates/hotels will shell out any money. To be honest even the 6th Gen seems bland but after 5 years of back and forth, India deserved the latest version.
Old 12th February 2021, 17:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
DOA ! I always thought of the Toyota Hiace's as luxury MUVs, until the day I sat in one. The fliace is a typical Toyota MUV - basic and functional. Agreed it may have a lot of seats and probably smart seating options - but at 55 lakhs, it's not at all worth it. It probably makes sense for hotel or travel companies who can get it cheaper under the EPCG Scheme.
Toyota Hiaces are commuter vans used extensively in the MiddleEast,Philippines, Thailand etc. for moving people. Mostly used by companies as shuttles for their employees, school vans and also as ambulances. They are just as you said - aTypical MUV.

FunFact: I used to go to school(in the late 2000s) in this exact vehicle (it was new at that time). Seeing them being sold for Mercedes money surely makes me laugh.
ZenMaster is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 17:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Toyota never learns. They just don’t understand that Indians won’t buy any overpriced car they peddle in the name of reliability (unless you are Maruti). Toyota should’ve brought in a 6th-gen with a better engine and more features. A 55 lakh vehicle with a 2 din audio player and no ESP? It’s more under featured than an Alto! It’s also too expensive to be sold just as a commercial people carrier.
Actually barring Yaris, Indians bought every other overpriced Toyota. Innova, Fortuner, Camry to name a few. Heck even the vintage Prado with 3.0L engine was bought in decent numbers despite 1Cr+ price tag.
PrideRed is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 19:40   #15
BHPian

One sentence.

It will not sell.

How does Toyota expect us to buy a van at these prices. We already have the Vellfire which atleast has luxury to back it. This is useless. They could sell Land Cruisers or Supras or 86s instead. Toyota certainly thinks India is a dumpyard. The crappy Suzuki rebadged are only to make money. The only budget cars they sell are Suzukis which are not known for quality (read:safety).

They think the US is the only bloody market in the entire world. Excuse me for my language. Check out the US lineup and India lineup. 25 different iterations in the US(I consider hybrids as thier own vehicles) and there's seven models for India. Seven.
There isn't any Toyota made compact except that Yaris dud.

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th February 2021 at 09:17. Reason: Please do watch the language (with or without **).
OctYFAN is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed