Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you think that the Logan is over-priced?
Yes 129 89.58%
No 15 10.42%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2007, 18:44   #16
BHPian

I think if you ask anyone whether a car's price should be reduced, you'll always get answer YES

Rather we need to think what Logan price is reasonable VFM.

Quote:
India is NO LONGER a third world country.... Let the term be used by the Westerners themselves
Correct - now many so called 1st world countries get cars made in India.

Last edited by sbasak : 20th April 2007 at 18:46.
Old 20th April 2007, 19:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Slightly, off-topic

India is NO LONGER a third world country.... Let the term be used by the Westerners themselves..
Off topic again,
but have to disagree with you as much as I hate to. but there are too many overwhelming naked statistics which point to the contrary.

the millions still way below the poverty line, the fiscal debt, the absolute lack of basic civic ameneties for the multitude of the population, the scheduled power cuts in 2007 A.D. in the so-called financial capital of the country, the as*ho**s still crapping on the roads and railway tracks and the bigger as*ho**es crapping in the parliament, the health, education and infant mortality indexes as compared to the rest of the world...

oh lord, the list is endless and my blood is starting to boil.
Old 20th April 2007, 19:17   #18
BHPian

Mahindra will probably create automobile history being the first car to offer cash discounts during launch phase That too...discounts I am talking are huge Baleno like discounts. Otherwise no use....
Old 20th April 2007, 20:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm.. Isnt the European Logan made by Dacia of Romania? Granted that Dacia is a Renault subsidiary.. but thats like calling Skoda Octovia as VW Octovia or better still Audi Octovia !!

Re Price..its a no-brainer.. M&M, who r u trying to kid here?? Indian customers (atleast the majority) are not fools to buy this East European claptrap for 7lks !!
Old 20th April 2007, 21:23   #20
BHPian

Based on the specs and reviews I think the Logan is not VFM and is over priced. but am not voting yet as I plan to test drive it and see for myself how it is.
Old 20th April 2007, 21:37   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

All this is a tad disappointing considering a top Renault man had said in an interview that the Logan will be way cheaper than the Indigo.
Old 21st April 2007, 01:16   #22
BHPian

You should keep one thing in mind that the comparisons doesnt feature Aveo 1.6, fiesta 1.6 etc. Logan is not far behind these cars, but even that doesnt justify its pricing.
Old 21st April 2007, 01:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Tested both petrol and diesel versions. Quite some time back. To sum it up, the car, although good in packaging, fails to shine in any single area. And oh,there's the trademark Mahindra component- iffy brakes. Brakes aren't confidence inspiring. Pedal feel is barely adequate. And even though the Logan runs on 185 section tyres, she feels under-tyred. The dynamics and suspension setup favours ride rather than handling. The ride quality is quite okay, and better than the Indigo in terms of damping, but it's not that cushioned.

Considering that in the given price league, Logan is competing with the Fiesta head-on, I wouldn't say it is VFM. The engine is responsive, refined, and even quiet to a certain extent, but the Swift would cream it in the performance dept, let alone the Verna.

And oh, cost cutting is quite evident in the equipment, layout and switchgear...I don't remember seeing the hood release lever being on the passenger footwell since quite some time...

I would much rather prefer the Fiesta. The only area Logan excels in is interior space...
Old 21st April 2007, 08:10   #24
Team-BHP Support

A totally unpetrol headed colleague looked at it. Saw the price and walked out. The looks were too bad in his opinion and the price not worth enquiring further. I told him to buyt a Fiesta or wait for the Baleno
Old 21st April 2007, 11:51   #25
Team-BHP Support

Indigo LWB costs the same as logan top end version. And we are talking a real real long car here.
Even the Indigo LX DICOR is cheaper than top end diesel.
Logan of off the pricing by a lakh, if not more!

Last edited by tsk1979 : 21st April 2007 at 11:53.
Old 21st April 2007, 12:07   #26
BHPian

Logan should have been priced as an entry level sedan for there's not too much to write home about its features or looks. Wonder why Mahindra is not going the numbers way to rake in the moolah.
Old 21st April 2007, 12:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Mahindra/Renault messed up here. I think they though that pricing it higher than the Indigo and positioning it as a "European" car from "Europe's safest car maker" would mean that the customers would come like suckers & lap it up. IMHO they were just trying to make a quick buck by hoodwinking the public.

But if the reports are true then I think we are gonna see price cuts, soon! If it sells then my head will again hang in shame to see the buying public being so stupid.

Last edited by iraghava : 21st April 2007 at 12:48.
Old 21st April 2007, 13:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am planning a TD soon and will vote after that.

Quote:
positioning it as a "European" car from "Europe's safest car maker" would mean that the customers would come like suckers & lap it up.
Hahaha if they really thought that , I guess they hadn't researched the market. Indian customers are suckers only for Japanese brands.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 21st April 2007 at 13:26.
Old 21st April 2007, 21:34   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

75 votes and a whopping 94.xx percent think that the Logan is over-priced! Mahindra ought to have thought that a car that was successful (and basic) in most other countries would naturally be lapped up in India. Butttttttttttttttttttttt they forgot that the Logan has succeeded in other markets ONLY because of its low price! What the heck were they thinking of pricing a feature-cut bare basic version of the diesel at 6.5 lacs! Darn, that thing does not even mirror adjusting knobs! As as Veyron pointed out...it has the hood opener on the wrong side. Come on Mahindra, you have always sold on value. You could have smoked up at some other and less important time.

Someone noted that there is a striking similarity between the Logans launch and the Peugeot 309. Come to think of it, there is! And we all know what happened to the Peugeot.

Another interesting thing to see is how many of our "expert" magazines point out the inflated pricing in their reviews and "first test-drives".

Logan will have price-cuts. Its inevitable.

Last edited by GTO : 21st April 2007 at 21:36.
Old 22nd April 2007, 00:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

French have always had a wrong perception about what Indians want. They think we are a poor country and therefore we like cheap, outdated products that are not wanted elsewhere. They already should have learnt from the failures of 309.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks