Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Do you think that the Logan is over-priced?
Yes 129 89.58%
No 15 10.42%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2007, 00:32   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
French have always had a wrong perception about what Indians want. They think we are a poor country and therefore we like cheap, outdated products that are not wanted elsewhere. They already should have learnt from the failures of 309.
PAL had as much of a hand, if not more, in the failure of the 309, is it not so ??
Old 22nd April 2007, 00:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

I can only say this IT IS WAY OVERPRICE i would pay only 6 lac max for the fullyloaded and i want alloys with it
Old 22nd April 2007, 01:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

The funny thing is, Mahindra paraded Logan as the Indigo chewer WAY before the launch..and the way things are going, I doubt if the Logan's gonna get a chance to chew it's own cud...

I love the Clio. From the looks of it, Renault's not gonna let Mahindra spoil it's broth. Peugeot came in at the wrong time, partnered the wrong people, and parted ways...let's hope Renault doesn't follow path...

The Logan would be un-beatable at 4.6-5.3 OTR. Bus. That's it. A penny more, and Tata has a far larger fan following...
Old 22nd April 2007, 01:36   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Peugeot came in at the wrong time, partnered the wrong people, and parted ways...
More importantly they also brought in the wrong car. The 309 was a good handler, but had a tendency to fall apart after 3 years like all economy cars of Euro descent. It was entertaining in a certain way, but was hardly practical with the notchback design.
Old 22nd April 2007, 01:41   #35
Senior - BHPian

Precisely with all the talk about frugal engineering,I thought renault had managed to come out with a product cheaper than the indigo and even have a base diesel model retailing alongside the maruti esteem.

But all those savings[guess mahindra was able to save 15% of costs on the logan] is going into the respective manufacturers pockets and none of the benefits are being passed on the customer.

The problem is mahindra want to attract lower c segment customers as well as the higher c segment customers at the same time but also ensure that the logan does not get the taxi image.This fear of the taxi badge is one of the main reasons of this higher pricing is what I feel.
Old 22nd April 2007, 02:07   #36
Senior - BHPian

Problem is Rahul that if they want really huge volumes they are going to have to cater to the Taxi segment, come what may. But at current prices they'll struggle to find average volumes leave alone above average ones.

Let's hope that Mahindra sees sense soon & gives it a nice price cut!
Old 22nd April 2007, 03:45   #37
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Slightly, off-topic

India is NO LONGER a third world country.... Let the term be used by the Westerners themselves..
Uh, India is a third world nation, in every sense of the word. Get a passport, step outside India and open your eyes.

Old 22nd April 2007, 03:52   #38
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Indigo LWB costs the same as logan top end version. And we are talking a real real long car here.
Even the Indigo LX DICOR is cheaper than top end diesel.
Logan of off the pricing by a lakh, if not more!
Given how Mahindra-Renault have failed in giving a value for money car after all the promise, indeed the very premise of Logan being an affordable, VFM product, I have new found respect for Tata.

Some people look down upon the Indigo, but now having seen the "European" effort, perhaps many will come to appreciate Indigo for what it offers.

In a way, this Logan is the best thing to happen to Indigo.

Now people can actually appreciate the Indigo's value.

Old 22nd April 2007, 03:55   #39
SuperSyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
French have always had a wrong perception about what Indians want.
Actually not just French, many Europeans have always enjoyed this perception for India for a long time. Times are changing, I am sure the 'enlightened' Europeans will evolve too. Eventually.

Old 22nd April 2007, 08:51   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
More importantly they also brought in the wrong car. The 309 was a good handler, but had a tendency to fall apart after 3 years like all economy cars of Euro descent. It was entertaining in a certain way, but was hardly practical with the notchback design.
I ran one in the UK for 60000 mils and nothing fell off, am sure it was service/ support issues as well as dowdy looks that killed it of. Yes, interior's were creaky but mechanically, it was tough.

IMHO - it was spacious, design profile is like the Octy - notchy hatch - though looks are something else
Old 22nd April 2007, 09:03   #41
BHPian

Based on the reviews and opinions I think it has become na ghar ka na ghat ka (neither a cheap one nor have a status factor).
Old 22nd April 2007, 09:03   #42
BHPian

I am surprised why Mahindra is worrying about TAXI tag. Why aren't people buying Indica inspite of it having a huge chunk of the car market.

In the long run when they launch a new car it is going to help them.

Anyway when will the logan be delivered to the customers?
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:00   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
I have new found respect for Tata.

In a way, this Logan is the best thing to happen to Indigo.

Now people can actually appreciate the Indigo's value.
Superbly put. The Indigo is yet unbeaten for value. Maybe its just a case of Logan having tried to beat the price....but couldnt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Anyway when will the logan be delivered to the customers?
The salesguy told me that deliveries were to start in May. But then, I have seen a handful of cars on the road so maybe the first batch is already delivered.
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSyn View Post
Uh, India is a third world nation, in every sense of the word. Get a passport, step outside India and open your eyes.
Very well said. We have a long, long way to go and a frog-in-the-well outlook will not help.
Old 22nd April 2007, 12:25   #45
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very well said. We have a long, long way to go and a frog-in-the-well outlook will not help.
Dont want to digress off-topic but just wanted to comment : Even the Malaysian (KL) infrastructure was atleast one lightyear ahead of Mumbais. I am sure all the BHPians who went to the recent F1 race will agree. There is just no comparison.

Most Viewed