Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2021, 08:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen launches Turbo edition of Polo & Vento

Amazing news!!! I love my 2016 polo 1.2MPI comfortline but it lacks the umph on the highways. I am gonna go and check if an exchange is financially viable.
Beerus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 08:22   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

In this age of overpriced cars, this is not a bad deal. Remember the times when the TSI was only available with the DSG in the GT TSI, we all used to crib that it would be great to have a manual TSI and the DSG was too expensive. Now you get a manual TSI at 60% of the cost of what you would have had to pay for a turbo petrol from Volkswagen 1+ year back. Not a bad thing for someone looking for that Fun to Drive element.

The marketing and nomenclature is all wrong though as usual. At least happy that the 'turbo edition' has a turbo motor.
Rajeevraj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 08:42   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I could be wrong but I always felt Polo buyers are not extremely price conscious like Maruti target market. I mean who would dare to buy a VW without some flexibility in ownership expenses? For this reason, I feel this is a useless update. Let's be honest, VW can't get a Maruti/Hyundai customer even if they sell it for 5L. I am exaggerating but there is some truth in it. Polo crowd is a bit different. VW will do better by offering paddle shifters, LED lights etc. Somehow VW is obsessed with enticing Maruti buyers whereas they have sufficiently good potential at the premium side which they don't seem to be interested in. In this context, I appreciate what Jeep is doing with Compass. I am sure VW could do the same with Polo which will have more impact than Compass.
androdev is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 08:44   #34
Senior - BHPian

It's an awesome price for driving enthusiasts looking for a keen drive.

However what has VW got up it's sleeve? Is a new Polo platform in the offing as this kind of looks like stock clearance.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 09:54   #35
BHPian

I am one of the rare people who bought a highline plus AT last month, the driving dynamic and the fundamental of the car are sorted unlike any other sedan.
Its a 10 year old design but is something wrong with it ? Dont think so, it has aged well, and this edition is priced very very sweetly.

At this point a premium hatchback / compact SUV is priced much higher! This is all the things a person will use after 6 months when party tricks are over.

Last edited by adi_sun : 16th February 2021 at 09:55. Reason: spelling
adi_sun is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:01   #36
BHPian

They are making space in the lineup for Taigun. Taigun would be priced competitively and they can’t have polo prices this high when Taigun coming to the lineup.
SBM3J is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I could be wrong but I always felt Polo buyers are not extremely price conscious like Maruti target market. I mean who would dare to buy a VW without some flexibility in ownership expenses? For this reason, I feel this is a useless update. Let's be honest, VW can't get a Maruti/Hyundai customer even if they sell it for 5L. I am exaggerating but there is some truth in it.
I'd disagree on this.

You need to experience a VW to be a complete convert ( in this price range). As a traditionally conservative family, we really don't mind spending 30-40k per service on its elongated sister because we're completely smitten by it. We got it since we couldn't let go of a brilliant deal on the car. We've never kept a car for so long honestly ( 6.75 years and counting).

I know a family who's had 2 Polo's and 2 Vento's in the past 10 years. There's also another family who would only buy Japanese cars until 2016. Today, they're planning to purchase their 3rd VW.

If none of us had found a reason to buy one, we wouldn't have become converts. It's just like buying an Apple product- Apple fans make no sense until you actually experience one and would agree with them completely despite paying a bomb for a depreciating consumable.
Turbohead is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 10:55   #38
BHPian

This seems like an amazing deal considering that the models are on par with the Ambition trim in Skoda and not the Rider trim. Only gripe - no AT version here; makes the difference between Vento TSI MT and AT glaringly wide.
Old 16th February 2021, 12:04   #39
BHPian

I can bet the guy who designs the brochure of these special editions must have saved files something like this:

1. Polo_Limited_ Edition_Final.pdf
2. Polo_Limited_Edition_Final_Final.pdf
3. Polo_Limited_Edition_Pukka_Final.pdf
4. Polo_Limited_Edition_FINAL_FINAL_FINAL.pdf
5. Polo_Limited_Edition_I resign_Final.pdf
fache89 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 12:34   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
I'd disagree on this.

You need to experience a VW to be a complete convert ( in this price range). As a traditionally conservative family, we really don't mind spending 30-40k per service on its elongated sister because we're completely smitten by it. We got it since we couldn't let go of a brilliant deal on the car. We've never kept a car for so long honestly ( 6.75 years and counting).
Couple of points:

1. There is a different psyche when a Maruti guy means conservative. With all due respect, spending 40k extra on service per year and quoting 7 years as longish time frame of ownership will have a different word in the world of Maruti consumers. Just for the sake of example, I have 2 Marutis older than a decade with odo running past 1.5L. I have spent close to 1L for the maintenance service for each of these cars. I am absolutely sure that it's very difficult to get similar numbers for VW.

2. You are absolutely correct in quoting apple vs Android analogy. The point that Androdev is making that just by lowering the price point of an existing car with some kind of market perception in the masses, VW cannot make the Maruti guy jump to VW ship. I am in a similar situation - an existing all Maruti garage and waiting for Kushaq/Taigun. Truth be told, it's a leap of faith for folks like me if I am able to jump.

3. At the same time, it's completely true that folks who have made the jump to VW will not return to Marutis.

The moot point of the argument is that for getting a Maruti guy out of Maruti, it takes more than just lowering the sticker price. I hope I am able to cross the barrier this year.
headbanger is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:02   #41
BHPian

Great move. I think vw can simply have the automatic versions of Turbo edition too. At say 7.99 lakhs for Polo and 9 lakhs for Vento, they will have good market. Market below 10 lakhs lacks proper automatics. Especially the Torque Converters.
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:37   #42
BHPian

I don't understand why people are bashing VW.
The Polo Turbo has one turbo more than the Taycan Turbo so I think the naming is spot on.

Agree with other BHPians, that rather than getting these needless variants, VW should do something about the Polo's feature list. LED lamps and DRLs would be nice. Armrest as standard on all variants would be a great addition!
veedub89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:38   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PankajKara View Post
If Turbo edition was out when I booked mine - I would have been HIGHLY tempted to go for it rather than Highline.
====
While I agree the Polo is now dated and ultramilked, you can now get a TSI engine for much lesser which is good for buyers.
I would like to add one more feature (though not so sure about this one).
- Tinted windows

Because as far I remember, even in Skoda Rapid, the lower trims read (Rider, Rider Plus) did not have tinted windows and my guess is that this Turbo Edition of Polo will also not have them.
arshad_98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:41   #44
BHPian

The Polo Comfortline TSI at the given price is a superb deal. Anyone looking past the over-the-top features and wanting a fast and safe Hatchback does not need to look any further. This car should fly off the shelf.

The Vento however may not get the same response. Reasons:

1. Skoda Rapid: At similar price points for the mid variants, the Vento was more loaded with features than the Rapid. Still the Rapid sold almost 5 times more units than the Vento in last 1 year. As per reviews, Rapid rides and handles better too. Add to that the snob value Skoda commands. Also, found the Skoda sales guys across showrooms to be way more aggressive than VW.

2. VW Polo : Vento, somehow, even with all the Facelifts still looks stale & similar as it used to at launch 10 years back. With the face shared with the Polo, the case further gets weakened. Even though the Vento is longer than the Polo, the general perception is that of Swift vs. Dzire. Anyone stepping in to buy a fun car to drive will go for the Polo if rear seating comfort is not a priority. If one is looking for a car that will be chauffeur driven, I think there are close to 10 other options across segments at the same price point that have a roomier rear seat.
R_Gowardhan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 23:49   #45
BHPian

For those who wonder why the next gen cars are not making it to India, I have a quote for you.

"Greed is lack of confidence in one's own ability to create"
~Vanna Bonta
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen launches Turbo edition of Polo & Vento-i-business-man-doing-business-16022021234144.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks