Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2021, 00:38   #46
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen launches Turbo edition of Polo & Vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by PankajKara View Post
Now that I did get a Highline at 8.07 (now it's 8.3~) and this turbo edition is at 6.99, if I compare.. What do I get in addition to the TSI engine and climatronic ac?

<feature list>
They should have added isofix and a reverse cam in the top variant

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th February 2021 at 17:49. Reason: Please do not quote full-length posts when responding. It inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks.
Voodooblaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 11:24   #47
BHPian

I literally went through this thread yesterday and then went for a test drive today morning.

Driving the Polo with the TSI engine is . . . Such FUN! It's simply incredible. Have been test driving a lot of cars in the last few days - Ecosport, Nexon, Harrier, Venue. Nothing else managed to put such a grin on my face.

This Turbo variant is surely THE car for an enthusiast on a budget. 110bhp and 175NM for 7L ex-showroom? Yessir!
pavanmadhini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 11:55   #48
BHPian

Let me post some pictures, look at these and tell me is this bad for a 10year old car?
It looks handsome to me and drives like a sure footed car, extremely fun on the corners!

This is the HT+ variant, just changed the shoes to Yoko Earth since Michelin wasn't available and thats all that was needed to make it super fun. My advise to any City / Seltos / Verna prospective buyer is to check Vento / Rapid out.

I just love the all led lights and the no nonsense design, but then my view will be biased.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen launches Turbo edition of Polo & Vento-dscf40812.jpg  

Volkswagen launches Turbo edition of Polo & Vento-dscf40712.jpg  

Volkswagen launches Turbo edition of Polo & Vento-dscf41462.jpg  

Volkswagen launches Turbo edition of Polo & Vento-dscf42112.jpg  

Volkswagen launches Turbo edition of Polo & Vento-dscf41992.jpg  

Volkswagen launches Turbo edition of Polo & Vento-dscf41972.jpg  

Volkswagen launches Turbo edition of Polo & Vento-dscf40882.jpg  

Volkswagen launches Turbo edition of Polo & Vento-dscf40842.jpg  

adi_sun is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 13:45   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
Let me post some pictures, look at these and tell me is this bad for a 10year old car?
It looks handsome to me and drives like a sure footed car, extremely fun on the corners!
Nice colour and those gun metal alloys are too good. I agree on all your points. My only suggestion to VW would be to differentiate between the faces of Polo and Vento. In your first picture, I thought you are having a Polo, next rear side picture revealed it's a Vento.

I bought a Rapid TSI MT Monte Carlo, and have a 4th gen Honda City ivtec MT. Rapid is so much fun or corners and the high speed stability is something I am experiencing for the first time and it's terrific. My only worry now is, I may get speeding tickets every often as it is extremely difficult to feel what speeds I am doing. This car (surely Vento too) masks speed so well, an 80 feels like a 50 or 40. I tried my level best in enquiring at lot of shops and finally got hold on to Michelin 4ST even though I had to make a travel to the shop which is 100+ kms away.

Last edited by pavi : 17th February 2021 at 13:50.
pavi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 14:16   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi;

My only worry now is, I may get speeding tickets every often as it is extremely difficult to feel what speeds I am doing. This car (surely Vento too) masks speed so well, an 80 feels like a 50 or 40
Tell me about it, been driving an SX4 for a decade in Delhi NCR and there are NO speeding tickets on it. Day 1 literally day 1 of Vento drove from Ghaziabad to Gurgaon stopped the car and there was one SMS ! Over speeding fine of 2k

Forget services / parts / fuel cost a German car will make you bleed in all possible ways.

Lesson ? download and install 'Radarbot' from app store, has worked out well so far.
adi_sun is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 19:56   #51
BHPian

I did check out Polo and Vento TSI yesterday. On Vento MT, the clutch pedal was really high and my foot was struggling when moving from footrest to clutch. Driver footwell is cramped with footrest + three pedals. Is it same experience for other members?
AT was like wow. Awesome to drive. Engine RPMs feel high for a second after brakes are applied to come to complete halt.
One more dampener in Vento was the large tunnel in between for second row. Middle person on second row needs to put legs on either side, no headrest and bit uncomfortable due to armrest.
They should have both Vento and Polo marked as four seaters.
Old 17th February 2021, 23:11   #52
BHPian

This is an amazing deal. Once my elder brother gets married, he would take our Altroz with him, and I had planned to get a Nexon XZ+(S) Diesel a year from now. But with this offering at 6L less, I am not sure how I am going to wait for until then. I can easily put up with the low fuel efficiency (compared to Nexon D) and the high maintenance costs considering the price difference in purchase.

This meets all my needs: height adjustable driver seats, rear wiper and washer. The brochure image shows a driver arm rest. But it's not mentioned anywhere. Does it have one? Anyway, it can be fit after market. I can live with the absence of cruise control, rear AC, rear arm rest, rear power outlet and projector headlamps, given the price.
Benoit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 00:20   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
Nice colour and those gun metal alloys are too good. I agree on all your points. My only suggestion to VW would be to differentiate between the faces of Polo and Vento. In your first picture, I thought you are having a Polo, next rear side picture revealed it's a Vento.
Imagine what a Jetta owner feels like then! Everytime someone takes a glance at the front and asks when did you buy this vento?
kvothe_rules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 08:03   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvothe_rules View Post
Imagine what a Jetta owner feels like then! Everytime someone takes a glance at the front and asks when did you buy this vento?
Jetta is definitely wider than Vento. But yes, non car guys may think it as a Vento. I currently own a Rapid TSI Monte Carlo, and most people at my native (village) thought that I bought an Octavia. They are used to seeing a previous model Octavia (with out split headlights) in our village. They don't know the model name, but asked my father "oh your son spent ~24 lakhs for a new car?". My father was confused by this question as he did not know there was a model called Octavia and Rapid is actually the cheapest car in Skoda portfolio.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 11:23   #55
BHPian

Makes everything else look so pathetically overpriced! Having owned one for 9 years and running, the Vento is a bloody brilliant vehicle. Nothing else in the segment comes close. Not even remotely. Sorted handling (although I have upgraded the suspension and tyres), contrary to the popular opinion, I actually quite like the simply laid out interiors and the 1.6TDi I have just eats highways for snack! Test drove the 1.0 Tsi also and that engine is a total pocket rocket. The one big advantage is the clutch which is super light (heck it is even lighter than my i10!) while the one on my TDi is stolen out of a truck. The paint quality oozes class (look at most 8-9 year old Ventos around you and you'll know). Interior parts (except for that notorious AC vent) last long and age well. I've been holding out for the next gen Octavia or perhaps a locally assembled Karoq, but my car has run nearly 120K and is spending some time in workshop now and then. Oh boy, I'm so tempted!

There's nothing that I don't like about the car. I have recommended this vehicle to so many people, VW should be paying me royalties. At this price point I wonder if they can afford to! My advice to anyone considering buying in the 7-10L range, is to at the barest of minimum take a long hard test drive of these twins before making a decision.
Annibaddh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 12:21   #56
BHPian

I don't know why many people bashing VW India for this move. I feel this is a brilliant move by VW India. Look at every other car under 10 lakhs in India. No other car really has the build (apart from Altroz/Tata cars) of a VW. No matter who says what. And that TSI engine, absolutely no engine under 10 lakhs is a match for that. That 1.0 TSI engine with the 6-speed manual gearbox is an enthusiast delight. On an ex. showroom price of 6.99 lakhs, its a steal deal.

In fact, you could get that car and do some modification for that extra money. You feel this doesn't have LED lights / bigger wheels, hey you got that extra 1 - 1.5 lakhs to cover that.

I really love how the car looks even today. Most certainly VW Polo misses certain fancy features, and the top of the list for many shall be the reverse camera, even on the top of the line model. True that, and it is good to have. But Polo isn't a big car and I always felt it is okay to reverse car trusting the rear view mirrors + the sensors. At least for me.

Whatever VW India's moto by introducing this edition, I think it is really a proper value for money enthusiast car that you can buy in India.

People can buy a Polo for the TSI Engine, strong build, looks (many may disagree) and the way it handles even when compared with the most modern cars/cans. But again, this is only a special edition and it may not be available for a long time I reckon.
igemini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 17:15   #57
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Buy it, before stocks last, this shall fly on the road and off the showrooms !!
Enough said, was so smitten with the build quality, the ride and handling dynamics, the explosive TSi engine, features on offer, dearth of options, the offer being made, I booked it while test driving the car itself.

Flash Red, it shall be.

Super VFM @ 7.3 OTR all inclusive of Freebees, Zero Dep et all. Extended warranty not included.

Heck, the Swift Vxi, i10 Nios Sportz and others in the tin can bandwagon cost the same or more.

Pardon me all the MSIL and HMIL owners, not meant as an offense, please.

Last edited by Torquedo : 18th February 2021 at 17:18.
Torquedo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 18:18   #58
BANNED

Hope this becomes the 'Rapid Rider' moment for VW. Polo already has been an aspiration for lot of people I know. Sharing this news in my college whatsapp group have even made some guys to message in the group for the first time expressing the excitement.
pavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 19:04   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Enough said, was so smitten with the build quality, the ride and handling dynamics, the explosive TSi engine, features on offer, dearth of options, the offer being made, I booked it while test driving the car itself.

Flash Red, it shall be.

Super VFM @ 7.3 OTR all inclusive of Freebees, Zero Dep et all. Extended warranty not included.
Congratulations.
Have been vacillating between Polo and Rapid past few weeks. Space in Polo, being the issue with family. Hoping to pitch this price differential as the deciding factor. Did not know that the model is available as I wanted to check out the interiors in comparison to the HL plus. Expecting to make one last trip to Skoda and VW showroom this weekend before booking one.
Old 19th February 2021, 07:32   #60
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry_joe View Post
Congratulations.
Thanks.

If you need space and can pay for it, go for Rapid.
All the extras on the Turbo edition other than the ACC are dealer level fitments, so if you visit a dealer, look at a Comfortline and compare it with Highline.
Turbo CL is yet to hit the showrooms.

Most Viewed