Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your choice?
Captain Seats 185 43.74%
Bench Seats 238 56.26%
Voters: 423. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2021, 17:43   #61
BHPian

Re: Captain Seats vs Bench Seats | Which one do you prefer in your SUV / MPV and why?

Voted for the bench seats.

Although the captain seats offer good support and comfort for short periods, however there is always a need to shift position and posture during long journeys. Besides, the comfort of laying fully cannot be matched by half stretch positions.

For all flexibility and conveniences they offer, the bench seats win my vote.

On a lighter note, in captain seat set up it is easy to deny entry to the third passenger blaming on limited sitting space, as against bench seats where one is forced to compress, accommodate and adjust.

Last edited by King_pin09 : 20th February 2021 at 17:47.
Old 20th February 2021, 19:11   #62
BHPian

Re: Captain Seats vs Bench Seats | Which one do you prefer in your SUV / MPV and why?

Voted for Bench Seats.

I am at this stage of life where there is a single vehicle in family - I have small kids and senior citizen parents and none of them would like to go to last row. Hence, Bench seats help fit in extra passengers.

At a later stage of life when I can afford multiple vehicles in my garage, then it can be in consideration if it is for select cohort.
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2021, 17:57   #63
BHPian

I personally believe that captain seats significantly enhance the comfort/ luxury quotient of cars. The third row becomes eminently more accessible. You don’t know need to be a gymnast anymore to reach the third row. The feeling of space in the car also stands enhanced, not just in the third row, but also in the second row. With bench seats in the second row, the third row feels dark, claustrophobic and disconnected from the rest of the car. It is generally tough to convince kids to sit in the third row. It might be easier with captain seats.

Even to seat just five people, captain seats maximise the comfort for all five. With legs stretched out between the Captain seat of the second row, the third row is as comfortable even for an adult.

Further, with captain seats third row passengers can alight/ enter with minimal disturbance to the second row occupants. In my own experience, my kids want to get off the car every time an adult is stepping out. :-)

Interestingly over 40% of the respondents to the survey prefer captain over a bench. Yet, in many large SUVs captain seats are not even offered as a variant (Endeavour, Fortuner…). I hope XUV700 designers saw the survey. Some food for though for the OEs.
Old 26th September 2023, 15:21   #64
BHPian

I'm looking for some pillows/ inflatable cushions for the middle row occupants to stretch their legs or fill the gap incase a child is sleeping lying down in a captain seat configuration. There are some products on Amazon but nothing with consistently good reviews. Any recommendations?
Old 26th September 2023, 19:00   #65
Senior - BHPian

Depends on the car itself. Some are too small or cramped for captain's seats to make any sense. Bootspace also matters since some SUVs/Crossovers have so little bootspace with the third row up that you will have basically have to use it as a 4 seater if you get the captains seats version and need to carry even a single suitcase.
Old 26th September 2023, 19:15   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Depends on the car itself. Some are too small or cramped for captain's seats to make any sense. Bootspace also matters since some SUVs/Crossovers have so little bootspace with the third row up that you will have basically have to use it as a 4 seater if you get the captains seats version and need to carry even a single suitcase.
I'm talking about something like this. Is it practical for second row passengers to stretch their legs on long journeys to fill up space if a child is sleeping on captain seats?
Old 26th September 2023, 23:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I'm talking about something like this. Is it practical for second row passengers to stretch their legs on long journeys to fill up space if a child is sleeping on captain seats?
Should work for adults only if you have a car that has a lot of leg room in the 2nd row. As far as I know, only the hycross and the carnival have that kind of space south of 1 crore.

Last edited by Cresterk : 26th September 2023 at 23:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks