Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Would you buy a used Jeep Compass today?
Yes 224 64.00%
No 126 36.00%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2021, 08:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Jeep Compass

Buying a Used Jeep Compass

The recent launch of the Compass Facelift reminds us that the SUV has been around for a while. IMHO, it's the right time to shop around for a used example!

Used Jeep Compass Pros

• Handsome Cherokee-inspired styling & loads of character
• Solid build. Feels very robust, just as a Jeep should
• Powerful 2.0L diesel. Good driveability in the city, fast on the open road
• 1.4L turbo-petrol makes 161 BHP! Offers good performance. Smooth 7-speed AT available
• Capable AWD, unlike some competitors (AWD only on the diesel though)
• Mature suspension setup, nicely-tuned EPS & rock-solid stability
• City-friendly size, higher seating & soft clutch on the MT
• 6 airbags, all-wheel disc brakes and a whole host of electronic aids (including ESP)
• Competent, even by 2021 standards. The driving experience is very premium
• Heat from the brand new Seltos / Creta / Hector is keeping used car prices real. We think used Compasses are well-priced for what they offer

Used Jeep Compass Cons

• Small size for the price! Many cheaper SUVs provide more cabin space. Best for 4 onboard, not 5
• The boot's cargo capacity is strictly average
• Neither the Petrol AT nor the Diesel AT are tuned properly. Both fail to impress
• 1.4L Petrol motor simply isn't as impressive as the all-rounded 2.0L Diesel
• Some owners have reported niggles & issues
• Complex dual-clutch ATs have usually been troublesome in India
• Dealership network is smaller than the mass market brands
• Turning radius of 5.65m is wide! Further, 17º approach angle is too low
• Missing goodies (blanks on the steering, auto-dimming IRVM, auto wipers & headlamps, lumbar adjustment, reclinable rear seats)

Related Threads

• Jeep Compass Official Review, Petrol AT Review

Offroading with a Trailhawk

arun_josie's Limited (O) 4x4

ramnaresh_2000's pre-owned Compass

Behemoth's Jeep Compass Limited 4x2

Roadster17's Compass 1.4 Petrol DCT

igp_79's review from the hills of Ooty

2000 km road-trip in a Compass

Kolkata to Himachal in a Compass Trailhawk

Indore to Delhi in the Covid times

New Kia Seltos vs Used Jeep Compass

Mod Potential

You can do lots to a Compass, aesthetically & mechanically. You can check out some sweet examples here.

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Jeep Compass-img_20190511_185227.jpg
Source (PICS : Tastefully Modified Cars in India)

Availability

Sales were good in the initial years & there are many 2017 models in the market, but newer competition + overpricing + lazy management mean it's been a slow seller of late. Interestingly, the Compass doesn't command as much of a premium in the used car market, primarily due to competition from brand-new Cretas, Seltos', Hectors & Harriers. Diesel ATs are almost impossible to find because it was launched last among the variants, and its high price + newer competition limited sales. You'll get a vast selection of Diesel MTs though, and a fair spread of Petrol ATs. Check out some of the cars on sale here.

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Jeep Compass-images1080x108036.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Jeep Compass-images1080x108037.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Jeep Compass-images1080x108039.jpeg

Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Jeep Compass-images1080x108038.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 17th February 2021 at 11:50.
blackwasp is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 10:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Jeep Compass

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Voting for this one is tricky. On the one hand, the Compass is still the definitive Diesel MT crossover for me due to its build + driving pleasure + AWD. On the other hand, I have all but given up on MT cars (except in sports cars & offroaders); the Compass Petrol AT is quite sad, while the Diesel AT is terribly tuned.

Hence, even though I love the Compass, I have voted for a no. Won't buy an MT anymore, while the ATs suck. Regardless, if you want to buy a Compass, it only makes sense as pre-owned. The new ones are way too expensive today. Going by their pricing strategy, the Jeep India bosses seem to be living in cloud cuckoo land.

Last edited by GTO : 17th February 2021 at 10:30.
GTO is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 10:31   #3
BHPian

I think when buying a used car the most important thing is how much would it cost to maintain once the car's age starts showing up and in case of used car we mostly never know how it has been maintained by the previous owner except in cases where we know the owner personally.

And compass spares are not going to be cheap(the normal service costs more than 10 K) once they start requiring repairs or replacements so voted a NO.
sv97 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 10:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes.

This is one well engineered but grossly overpriced car. Out in the used car market, Compass doesn't command good resale which makes it a good buy if one is otherwise happy with the car.

For me, the only sticky point is poor leg space and Fiat service.

Edit: Limited (O) 4*4s are listed for 13L and can be had for a shade over 10L here.

Last edited by ashis89 : 17th February 2021 at 10:45.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 10:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic car, I would really love to exchange over my SCross, but one thing that keeps me away is ASC.

There's good ASC, bad ASC & so-so ones. But something that's non existent is FCA

I tried checking where Compass can be serviced & this is all I could find.

Someone who owns Compass might very well know where & how to find ASC, shouldn't it be easier for even a first time user?
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 10:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted yes, and actually bit the bullet a couple of months ago. A year old, spanking new Limited Plus 4x2 diesel manual with just 2000km on the clock, complete with 5 year extended warranty and 3 year insurance at less than the price of a top end Creta. That’s like 35% less than the on road price of the car. If that’s not the deal of the year, I don’t know what is. Have already put on 6000km of my own and am loving every bit of it.

Compass is a phenomenal car, very well suited for the long distancer or touring enthusiast. The only catch is the limited boot space, about the same as Creta/Seltos. Otherwise it is the perfect replacement for my ageing diesel City.

The old and the new:
Pre-worshipped car of the week | Buying a Used Jeep Compass-930373aecada4bcfaceabd59ed88c252.jpeg
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 12:25   #7
BHPian

Voted YES!

A friend of mine has a Limited Plus Diesel 4x2 Manual, which I absolutely love. The build is so strong even after 2+ years of his ownership. I’m surprised because my friend uses this as his beater.

But soft clutch? I feel it is hard. Or maybe I got spoiled by my Rapid 1.0 TSI’s soft clutch.

Off topic:
I found this article this morning. Someone’s Compass got stolen from outside their house in New Delhi.
https://www.rushlane.com/jeep-compas...-12394062.html
Source: Rushlane

Doesn’t Compass have Anti Theft system?

Neo

Last edited by neo_narender : 17th February 2021 at 12:26.
neo_narender is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 12:27   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Would like to add that most of the missing features were added in the 2019 update. My car has all the mentioned missing features: auto headlamps, auto wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror and lumbar adjustment for the drivers seat. The driver’s seat is in fact 10 way power adjustable with 2 memory positions. The only thing actually missing is cruise control, which is offered only on the automatic.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 12:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes

This car is grossly overpriced when bought new, but a used one at the right price gets you solid build quality, excellent handling, good ride quality and FTD SUV. The 2.0L Multijet diesel coupled with that brilliant 6 spd Manual would be my pick!
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 12:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

The biggest advantage w.r.to Compass is the price band. New can be bought as low as 23L for sport variant and top spec can go all the way till 36Lacs. This helps used car market. A well spec'd one can be bought for a reasonable price(Typically lower than the price of base variant). While the drive dynamics, engine , features(Especially updated one) are top notch, Compass scores low on Size to Price factor, which is quite important in India.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 14:01   #11
BHPian

The Jeep Compass no doubt is great vehicle, especially the diesel manual version. It still is way over priced and high on maintenance cost for what it offers. Purchasing a used JC may be easy but owning it over a period of time will need deep pockets. The parts and servicing costs are way too high. May be its my opinion having owned a Honda City and then post Graduated to Jeep Compass.

I had always dreamt of owning one but the pricing always kept me away. I bought a New one in Oct 2019. A longitude (O) diesel. I could pocket it only because the dealer offered a great discount and there was 50% Road Tax exemption for 3 months from Oct to Dec 2019 in the State. Also I could get the insurance done outside. All put together I could save a cool INR 4.5 lakhs which brought the JC longitude (O) in my purchase range and opted to go for it.

However, in the last one year of ownership I had 4 unfortunate instances which gave me a taste of the high maintenance costs. While in two instances it was only body work, in the 3rd instance the 1st servicing costed me a cool 19K. In the 4th instance the RHS Headlight assembly, fog light and bumper was damaged requiring replacement. Not only I have been estimated a bomb (1.20 lakhs) (saved to an extent by Insurance), the problem is also with procurement of the parts. Have been waiting for last one month for the parts to arrive and repairs to be carried out on my JC. It could be the problem with specific dealer but it still is a problem. Sometimes a great product is destroyed by poor customer support.

Conclusion: Its not about just purchasing car, its about its owning experience over period of time is what I feel.
kaps1311 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 15:19   #12
Team-BHP Support

This is tricky. The compass makes sense used but only for the 4x4 MT which is no longer available new.

The plus point is the 2.0L engine feels way more punchy and fun to drive in Bs4 tune vs BS6.

So the Compass manual 4x4 MT is probably the idea 4x4 you can buy today since new you can only get Thar for the money.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 15:39   #13
BHPian

Voted YES***!

This is a damn good car, but a bit overly priced. I was eagerly waiting for the new facelift, but with an additional increase in price, Jeep has practically ruled me out here. Now, I'm on the hunt for used ones.

IMHO, one needs to be extra careful when finding a used Compass. Our own review threads + others I have read elsewhere are filled with rattling issues and excessive engine sounds(in Diesels). These are common issues amongst any used vehicle, but a bit more with Compass.

Plus, the older models miss out on cruise control, which is a necessity for highway cruises, weirdly where Compass shines the most with its comfortable ride.
neelkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2021, 16:25   #14
BHPian

Voted No !
I was looking at used Jeep for quite sometime only thing keeping me off is that AT, not just it being uninspiring, but mainly because its a DCT, most Dual clutch transmissions are not very good for bumper to bumper traffic and slow moving city traffic and its for sure, one way or another is gonna affect its reliability, and the part price for replacement is definitely gonna be in higher side and up-keeping may end up costing high no matter how cheap you got the Car at first place unless and until you personally pick up the car from a known person who immaculately maintained the car and driven carefully.
I don't hate MT , but since I was considering Compass as my daily, I couldn't think myself getting an MT especially for my daily city drives. If I was okay with MT I might have voted Yes !
Old 17th February 2021, 18:09   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted YES!

I love Jeep Compass, and in many ways it is perfect for my needs. However, the new ones are ridiculously expensive, and thus, it makes even more sense to go for a used Compass.

I would choose Diesel 2.0, 4x4 MT! That is the ideal combination for me. Perfect compact size (I do not need huge size), lovely (albeit noisy and a bit rough) diesel engine for my long distance touring, nice suspensions, and 4x4 for that go-anywhere ability on any type of roads. I do not do hard-core off-roading, and therefore pure off-roading ability is irrelevant to me. What I need is a capable "bad-roader" for those remote resorts in the hills, and the Compass is perfect for that.

Unfortunately, used 4x4 MT is very hard to find in Bangalore. At least that is what my quick search a couple of times showed. But if a good example shows up, it would be my choice for the perfect used car for my needs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post