Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2021, 16:52   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh

Those who think Jeep is high quality , I have news for you. Spoiler alert - you`re not going to like it.

Jeep Wrangler is among the top 10 least reliable vehicles in the USA, an honor it shares with Compass. Now that is consumer reports, JD power`s vehicle dependability puts Jeep and Fiat towards the bottom of the heap, least dependable brands as well.

Obviously American brands are good at marketing their products to gullible people, as they always had despite them being junk.

Link
Kosfactor is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 19:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Made in India Jeep Wrangler spotted in Pune

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-fb_img_16136567263884622.jpg

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-fb_img_16136567303778015.jpg

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-fb_img_16136567342765989.jpg

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-fb_img_16136567380495967.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 19:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
the thar diesel is 130 bhp and the wrangler diesel is 264 bhp so who is the wannabe ?
I was being sarcastic obviously.

I don't think a potential Wrangler buyer would go anywhere near Thar but c'mon it's hard to buy a Wrangler with so many Thars around. And I can assure you, we will see very tastefully modded Thars that will "look" awesome and even better than Wrangler. Beauty is skin deep in our country and it doesn't cost much.

I consider Thar to be a bigger deterrent than the CKD price. I am still baffled by the silence of FIAT - I can't think of a better example of profiting by blatant copyright violation. Mr Mahindra tweets as if he is Elon Musk of India. Sorry about the rant.. I can somehow take pride in our country building cheap cars and bikes but copying is outright unethical and we rewarded them with bumper sales.
androdev is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 20:00   #19
BHPian

400NM at 3000rpm, for a turbo diesel, huh? That's not so impressive, or a typo, maybe? 1200/1400 makes more sense I thought! Who would revv an off-roader till 3000rpm when all the grunt is needed? Or am I missing something?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 18th February 2021 at 20:11.
Old 18th February 2021, 20:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

It is a blatant copy and Mahindra have copied the style right down to the aircon vent. Maybe out of spite for losing IPR battle in USA. Fiat India feels threatened by corporate and political influence of Anand Mahindra maybe.
lurker is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 20:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
It is a blatant copy and Mahindra have copied the style right down to the aircon vent. Maybe out of spite for losing IPR battle in USA. Fiat India feels threatened by corporate and political influence of Anand Mahindra maybe.
And, the facelift is being tested with proper 9 slat grilles!
Schneller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 22:25   #22
BHPian

I am really excited about this Made in India Wrangler. Stellantis (formerly known as FCA group) is here to stay. Many people commented that it will leave India due to low market share, looks like they are wrong. It will be really interesting to see their pricing for India. I am guessing somewhere around 40+ ex-showroom price of base variant, only time will tell.

Yes, Thar is a shameless copy of Wrangler, and yes I will buy Thar if I have the opportunity. I really don't care if it a copy cat or not. If I am guessing right, M&M will not be sued by anyone, thanks to our legal system.

Coming to reliability issues, market research done in USA is not applicable in India. The standards are different there, labor is paid on hourly basis in USA, unlike in India where you find quality labor for less pay. There is an excellent episode on JD Power and its "ratings" in "Adam Ruins Everything" series, it is in the pockets of GM. JD Power can be compared with Filmfare awards
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 05:02   #23
BHPian

I commend FCA/Stellantis's effort to assemble the Wrangler in India (I assume it is an assembly operation as they don't have economies of scale to get anything manufactured locally for the Wrangler). Wrangler plant in Toledo, OH manufactures a quarter of a million Wranglers every year so Stellantis is unlikely to commence any serious manufacturing effort here in India as they cannot realistically hope to achieve sales of more than a few thousand units (I’m being optimistic) of the Wrangler even if assembled locally.

95% of all Wranglers are sold in North & South America. To put it into perspective whole of Europe contributed all of 7,262* units in 2020 towards Jeep Wrangler sales and in Australia, the mecca for off-roading it barely managed to move a couple of thousand units.

If the locally assembled Wrangler can get to a price point (between 45 - 50 lacs, ex-showroom); I will not be surprised if they indeed move a thousand-odd units. Despite their bumpy ride so far, I believe it will be a shame if FCA/Stellantis were to contemplate leaving India for they have an aspiration product portfolio and are in the process of launching locally engineered platforms in the next couple of years; that coupled with our Janta’s insatiable appetite for SUVs and our terrible road conditions are a great recipe for success. Now only if they could get their pricing team to see some reason. My take is that they should also start the local assembly of the Grand Cherokee as that vehicle has a much wider appeal as has been mentioned by an earlier contributor.

Coming specifically to Wranglers; these vehicles are designed primarily for off-pavement use and that's where they shine but try taking a long drive in one and you'll never set your foot in one again if you’re looking for a comfortable family hauler.

The ride is atrocious and so are the interiors in addition to being cramped. There is no sound insulation, the plastic hard top barely provides any weather protection and has been known to leak through JL seems to have rectified that problem to some extent as compared to earlier JK. There is a roll bar that severely restricts the trunk space. The rear seats are upright and will give you back pain for any drive lasting longer than a couple of hours. The amount of wind noise is so deafening that you can't have a civilized conversation at highway speeds without raising your voice (can’t blame it; it has the drag coefficient of a brick). The mileage is nothing to write home about (not that anyone spending close to Rs. 65 lacs would care).

As for reliability, you will seldom find any cross-continental overlander/traveler in a Jeep. There's a reason Toyota/Nissan is a standard issue for all the UN Missions across the world besides Toyota Land Cruiser/Prado/Nissan Patrol remain the vehicles of choice for the Taliban in Afghanistan/ISIS in Syria or the Hezbollah in Beirut (places where there’s hardly any semblance of a paved asphalt).

If you're a hard-core off-roader who goes rock crawling every weekend, the Rubicon version is perfectly suited for you. The fact of the matter is; Jeep Wrangler is probably the most capable off-roader that you can get straight from the factory and that's the keyword - "Off-Roader". Wrangler at best will remain a niche vehicle and will be the preferred choice of the well-heeled “Off-Road” enthusiast who already has 3 or 4 cars for regular use and doesn’t want to be seen in a pedestrian Thar.

So, if you're not smitten by the fairy tale WWII heritage and all that jazz woven around it by Jeep over the years and want to haul yourself/your family in comfort; look elsewhere.

If your heart is set on it because you want to be seen in a Wrangler and are willing to put up with its idiosyncrasies and know what you’re getting into; more power to you.

Good luck explaining to every Joe Blow that it is the "original" Jeep Wrangler and not a jazzed-up 4 door Thar.

* https://carsalesbase.com/europe-jeep-wrangler/

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 19th February 2021 at 05:18. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 12:05   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Fortuner is around 40 so buying a loaded Wrangler at 60 - I see a chance. It will all depend on the prices.
You are absolutely right. I was looking to book 4X4 AT Fortuner next week but now i will wait till 15 March. The Fortuner will cost me around 42 Lakhs (on-road, Chandigarh). If the price of Wrangler is around 60 Lakhs(on-road), it is going to be my next ride. I know that it will not be this much cheaper but I am keeping my fingers crossed.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 15:57   #25
Team-BHP Support

Rubicon variant to be launched first, Grand Cherokee coming too!

A little birdie tells me that Jeep is planning to launch the CKD Grand Cherokee as well. Sales persons are being trained at the plant currently on the both products. We will get Rubicon variant initially.

Expected launch for Wrangle - Rubicon is between 50-55 Lac, Ex-Showroom. This is what Jeep will save on the duties, everything will still come from overseas.

Apparently, dealerships have an existing order booking of double digit customers as Jeep has not Imported CBU units for a while.
Turbanator is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 17:58   #26
BHPian

Another question is whether the Indian Jeep Wrangler will come equipped with E-Torque electric boost. I think the Cbu model had E-Torque, but i am not sure. E-torque has been omitted from the 2.0 litre engine in Canada. Hope they retain it in India.
Old 19th February 2021, 20:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Rubicon variant to be launched first, Grand Cherokee coming too!

A little birdie tells me that Jeep is planning to launch the CKD Grand Cherokee as well. Sales persons are being trained at the plant currently on the both products. We will get Rubicon variant initially.
How much do you think the Grand Cherokee will be priced at?
Old 19th February 2021, 21:15   #28
BHPian

Great and highly appreciable move by FCA India. I see them selling in huge numbers with a waiting period once they are priced sensibly. Those who are behind M&M for 'blandly copying' the Wrangler, with all due respect Mahindra has been a Jeep-licensee and had the rights to the Jeep design for decades longer than the current owner, Fiat Chrysler and if we go back in history it was Ford who started it. Do refer to the article below but if time doesn't permit here's some excerpt; Mahindra was one of the earliest—1947, remember—Jeep licensee, and has had agreements with every one of the many companies that have been stewards of the Jeep brand over history: Willys, Kaiser, American Motors, Renault, Chrysler, Daimler, the Cerberus group, and now Fiat. That’s insane.

Happy off-roading, cheers.

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-why-mah...eps-1823472625

Last edited by AdiSinghV12 : 19th February 2021 at 21:19.
AdiSinghV12 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 21:30   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy View Post
How much do you think the Grand Cherokee will be priced at?
I don't have a clue but it's a relatively crowded segment. It's one thing to ask about one model or another on blogs or otherwise but totally different when it comes to buying. With the limited network and overall appearance, which is one of the most important criteria for our market I doubt this will do any meaningful numbers.

Frankly, it's a very uninspiring model in my opinion. So unless they price it really well, which I have doubts about, seeing the recent prices of Compass, it does not make sense.

But, we as customers definitely get more options and hopefully competition results in better features/ prices.

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th February 2021 at 21:48.
Turbanator is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2021, 11:14   #30
Team-BHP Support

Some more update, but take with caution as conflicting reports. Now, I understand both Unlimited and Rubicon are coming at launch.

Two New features that make to the new 2021 Wrangler -

Keyless entry

Off-road Plus

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...-camera.19087/
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks