Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2021, 12:39   #31
BHPian

re: Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Completely off topic. But Jeep is probably at the top of pyramid when it comes to advertising in India.

An offroad wet stony wall with an inscription of 7 slats and round headlights. Brilliance for the depth of ideation in an understated way at play. Only the select target audience will understand the pictorial. These are the kind of adverts which prod you to take the leap of faith.
headbanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 13:04   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Spend so much money only to be seen as a wannabe Thar owner?
I respectfully disagree with this statement because It lacks Profundity.
A guy who has a purebred Persian cat as his pet is not a wannabe cat owner compared to a guy who owns a street cat that was adopted. While neither of the guys are right or wrong it's this attitude towards addressing one another that draws a line between being Profane and Profound!
Mahven is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 22:31   #33
Team-BHP Support

Another person tells me that Subwoofer will be missing despite continuing with 8,4-inch screen! Is this possible even?

I don't see a version Globally, which has premium alpine audio but no sub?
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 11:10   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
The Jeep Wrangler in India comes with a 2.0 PETROL engine in India. It’s got 268bhp and 400NM. No diesel is offered in India.

On a different note, when I recently went to check out the new Compass, the showroom had a preowned Wrangler on display. It was literally the worst interior I’ve seen in my life. I wonder how someone paid 75 odd lakh for this in the first place. It was very congested. The second row seating was even horrible. Absolute zero under thigh support. It might be one of the best off-roaders out there, but the interiors are a big let down. Hopefully the new ones better.

[ATTACH=9FEAA20757B1414D90FE40D32096A5D9.jpeg]2123205[ATTACH]

Cheers!
That was the last generation Wrangler you were looking at. Jeep has been selling the current generation in India since 2019 which is a complete redesign. Interiors are much more premium and high quality than before.

Last edited by imranstael : 23rd February 2021 at 11:11.
imranstael is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

Jeep Wrangler local assembly begins in India

Jeep has announced that the assembly of the 2021 Wrangler has commenced at the company's Ranjangaon plant.

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-jeep-wrangler-grille.jpg

Bookings for the made-in-India Wrangler have commenced and the pricing for the SUV will be announced on March 15, 2021.

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-jeep-wrangler-rubicon-open-air-freedom.jpg

The fourth-generation Wrangler was launched in India in August 2019. Initially, the SUV was imported as a completely built unit (CBU). Now that the car will be assembled using completely knocked down (CKD) kits, its price is expected to be reduced significantly.

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-jeep-wrangler-unlimited.jpg

The Wrangler is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 264 BHP @ 5,250 rpm and 400 Nm @ 3,000 rpm. The engine is mated to an 8-speed automatic gearbox and a Selec-Trac full-time four-wheel drive system. The Rubicon uses the same engine and gearbox combination, but is a more rugged version of the standard SUV.

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-jeep-wrangler-rubicon.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 23rd February 2021 at 13:11.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

I hope Jeep sends Mahindra to the cleaners like they did with the Roxor in the US.

It will have a far more detrimental effect on Mahindra when a similar order is received in India.

The order should be a cease and desist not only of production but also provision of after sales support and spares to existing customers.

The order should also make Mahindra adequately compensate all the customers who have bought the “INFRINGEMENT” for the losses they would suffer.

A very well deserved Jeep could then laugh all the way to the bank.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:34   #37
BHPian

What could be the tentative pricing for this monster?
I don't think it will compete with Thar on pricing front. It will be priced at a premium for sure.
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:44   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
I hope Jeep sends Mahindra to the cleaners like they did with the Roxor in the US.

Nothing will happen to Thar, due to the insane price difference even after local assembly. Those who can't afford Wrangler would naturally go towards Thar.
overtaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:49   #39
BHPian

Between 50 to 55 lakhs ex showroom. Will be close to the BMW X3 and Merc GLC. I don't think the manufacturer will lower the ex showroom by more than 10 lakhs.
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:53   #40
BHPian

I am posting a new for comparison sake, https://www.cardekho.com/india-car-n...lakh-23509.htm

The locally assembled Range Rover Velar is over Rs 16 lakh more affordable than the CBU model sold earlier.

Now going by this, how much will the price be adjusted. What FCA should also do is to introduce the 3.6 Pentastar Engine. V6 Jeep for under 65L looks like a good proposition (Maybe I am being too ambitious here) and the 2L engine for around 50 to 55 Lakhs makes it a good buy. Because I am hoping that Fortuner Legender 4x4 might touch 47L or 48L whenever it is launched.
Old 23rd February 2021, 20:59   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

It will have a far more detrimental effect on Mahindra when a similar order is received in India.

The order should be a cease and desist not only of production but also provision of after sales support and spares to existing customers.

The order should also make Mahindra adequately compensate all the customers who have bought the “INFRINGEMENT” for the losses they would suffer.

A very well deserved Jeep could then laugh all the way to the bank.
On a biased Nationalist note, if Indians and India don't support a brand like Mahindra, no one else will. Nothing will happen to Mahindra and Thar due to both, a very different value proposition at a very different price point, and because the Govt will not drown Mahindra in their home territory.
Old 23rd February 2021, 22:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
Now going by this, how much will the price be adjusted. What FCA should also do is to introduce the 3.6 Pentastar Engine. V6 Jeep for under 65L looks like a good proposition (Maybe I am being too ambitious here) and the 2L engine for around 50 to 55 Lakhs makes it a good buy.
The 2L Wrangler actually costs more than the V6 around the world. The 2L 4 cylinder engine has the same horsepower, more torque and better fuel economy than the V6 Pentastar. I have no clue why anyone would prefer the V6 even if they were the same price. You must be crazy to think anyone would pay 10-15 lakhs more for an inferior engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubingoel View Post
On a biased Nationalist note, if Indians and India don't support a brand like Mahindra, no one else will. Nothing will happen to Mahindra and Thar due to both, a very different value proposition at a very different price point, and because the Govt will not drown Mahindra in their home territory.
Well I say good on any Indians that have the integrity not to support a company that engages in shameless and blatant plagiarism. Just because it's an Indian company it doesn't mean we have to support shameful practices and products. In fact I would assume Indians should be more critical of it than anyone else, just as you would be harsher on your children for doing something inexcusable.
imranstael is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 06:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a biased Nationalist note, if Indians and India don't support a brand like Mahindra, no one else will.
In other words Indians must support anyone indulging in unethical practices if the person is an Indian?

Quote:
Nothing will happen to Mahindra and Thar due to both, a very different value proposition at a very different price point,
A very different value proposition because Mahindra is not paying for STOLEN IPR.

Why do you get stuff cheap when you go to the chor bazaar? Because it’s stolen. One doesn’t normally use the term “value proposition” when picking up stuff from a chor bazaar.

We heap scorn on the Chinese when they unashamedly steal designs of other cars but if we get a copy at 20% of the original cost we lap it up.

The supporting of ethical practices in the automotive domain are kicked out the door. When Ford removes a cross member from the chassis we make a noise but when Mahindra STEALS an entire design we lap it up.

Quote:
because the Govt will not drown Mahindra in their home territory.
So now you’re saying the government should also support unethical practices as long as they are committed by Indians? Imagine if every country in the world followed that practice.

Last edited by AMG Power : 24th February 2021 at 06:46.
AMG Power is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 09:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
The 2L Wrangler actually costs more than the V6 around the world. The 2L 4 cylinder engine has the same horsepower, more torque and better fuel economy than the V6 Pentastar. I have no clue why anyone would prefer the V6 even if they were the same price. You must be crazy to think anyone would pay 10-15 lakhs more for an inferior engine
That's not quite correct.

The 2 ltr turbo makes 270 bhp and 295 ft-lb of torque whereas 3.6 ltr V6 makes 285bhp and 260 ft-lb of torque.

Dealers across North America which is where 95% of the Wranglers are sold struggle to move the 2 ltr motor off their lots as a majority of the customers prefer the 3.6 ltr Pentastar which although develops less torque has been around for more than 11 years is an unstressed motor without the unnecessary complexity of the turbocharger. The 2 ltr mill has a slightly better fuel economy than the Pentastar but has few takers in its biggest market. The 2 ltr mill employs direct injection and most of the DI engines are prone to intake valve fouling.

From MY 2021, FCA/Stellantis has taken off the eTorue from the 2 ltr motor and now the Pentastar(with eTorque) is actually more expensive than the 2ltr turbo motor. In India though, only 2 ltr mill is being offered ostensibly on account of slightly better fuel economy. Hopefully in its "Assembled in India" avatar Wrangler should be able to do a thousand-odd units a year. I wish them luck!

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 24th February 2021 at 09:31. Reason: Addition of content
Vikram Arya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 10:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra can be excused for building Jeep lookalikes upto the period they made the previous generation Thar because those were Jeep derived vehicles, and that is what Mahindra had been building for decades.

The new Thar is a new vehicle designed grounds up (new chassis not derived and a new body shell) and making that look like a Wrangler is on purpose and to cash in on the aspirations generated by the Wrangler. Which is what they are doing and not something to be pride about*. If the new Thar had a TUV3oo front end it probably would be a non-starter for many people.

Tata Harrier & Safari looks (design) world class. So yes Indian companies can do better than copying.
--

*That thought is also one of the reasons why the Thar decision is on a backburner now, it looks like a Wrangler but is not.

Last edited by Sankar : 24th February 2021 at 11:02.
Sankar is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed