Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2021, 12:04   #46
BHPian

re: Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
That's not quite correct.

The 2 ltr turbo makes 270 bhp and 295 ft-lb of torque whereas 3.6 ltr V6 makes 285bhp and 260 ft-lb of torque.

Dealers across North America which is where 95% of the Wranglers are sold struggle to move the 2 ltr motor off their lots as a majority of the customers prefer the 3.6 ltr Pentastar which although develops less torque has been around for more than 11 years is an unstressed motor without the unnecessary complexity of the turbocharger. The 2 ltr mill has a slightly better fuel economy than the Pentastar but has few takers in its biggest market. The 2 ltr mill employs direct injection and most of the DI engines are prone to intake valve fouling.

From MY 2021, FCA/Stellantis has taken off the eTorue from the 2 ltr motor and now the Pentastar(with eTorque) is actually more expensive than the 2ltr turbo motor. In India though, only 2 ltr mill is being offered ostensibly on account of slightly better fuel economy. Hopefully in its "Assembled in India" avatar Wrangler should be able to do a thousand-odd units a year. I wish them luck!
Those are all very good points. Yes the 3.6 Pentastar does have a reputation for incredible reliability and will probably be cheaper to maintain over time than a turbo charged stressed engine.

The 15 extra horsepower of the 6 cylinder may not be perceptible over the 4 cylinder, but the extra torque of the 4 cylinder is certainly perceptible. Whether this tradeoff of torque and fuel economy is worth the cost of upkeep and reliability is user preference I think.

Either way it would be nice if Jeep offered both choices to the consumer here. I will grant that the 3.6 sounds pretty lovely with an exhaust system whereas the 2.0 sounds boring no matter what you do to it. The diesel engine would also be a great option, but I doubt it will be offered.

Last edited by imranstael : 24th February 2021 at 12:05.
imranstael is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 13:00   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranstael View Post
Those are all very good points. Yes the 3.6 Pentastar does have a reputation for incredible reliability and will probably be cheaper to maintain over time than a turbo charged stressed engine.

The 15 extra horsepower of the 6 cylinder may not be perceptible over the 4 cylinder, but the extra torque of the 4 cylinder is certainly perceptible. Whether this tradeoff of torque and fuel economy is worth the cost of upkeep and reliability is user preference I think.
The 6 cylinder no doubt is more reliable in the long run, but does not have the driveability of the 4 cylinder turbo. Another thing to note is that the 6 cylinder engine does not require high octane petrol while the 4 cylinder turbo generates the 264 bhp and 400 nm on high octane petrol only.
asm3899_CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 07:06   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: The Thar being a lookalike has been discussed enough. No more off-topic posts please.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 13:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

Price reveal of the all new Jeep Wrangler on March 15 at 11: 30am

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-fb_img_16156217357919480.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th March 2021 at 13:24.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 09:28   #50
BHPian

BMW priced M340i very smartly and its sold out in India, this is the time for FCA to take cue and take a share from the pie. 2.0L is priced for 68 Lakhs right now. Maybe it's me being too ambitious but if they can price it between 55L to 58L, it might help Jeep in making good amount of sales because the Pentastar Engine has been known for its reliability.
Old 14th March 2021, 18:51   #51
BHPian

Some Jeep service personnel who have attended a recent product familiarization camp report the made in India Wrangler prices to be in the range of 45-50 lakhs ex-showroom.

Will that draw in a substantial customer base?

Let us see what they finally share tomorrow!
Old 14th March 2021, 19:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achyutaghosh View Post
Will that draw in a substantial customer base?
Not a chance. This is luxury SUV territory and Jeep by no means is a luxury brand in India! Moreover, the Wrangler is an off-road biased SUV with not the best on-road comfort. This will get them a marginal increase in sales, if at all. I'd rather buy a GLC or an X3 with that kind of money.

Edit: As per Autocar, the launch has been postponed to 17th March.

Source

Last edited by cool_dube : 14th March 2021 at 19:32.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 20:59   #53
BHPian

Price reveal of the all new Jeep Wrangler is now shifted to Wednesday March 17.
Old 14th March 2021, 21:30   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Price reveal/launch postponed to 17th March.

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-59bade51e574484d93c2209971498f65.jpeg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMZpSGnl...d=acodr8j6cpcd
CEF_Beasts is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2021, 22:45   #55
BHPian

Good things (for them) comes unannounced, but for us consumers, takes its own sweet time and that too for peanuts! :-) I for one, eagerly looking forward and I do not have any high hopes though. I drive 4 door one currently, but I really dream to drive one of these back home one day. What they do in that two nights, I am curious!

Last edited by sgmuser : 15th March 2021 at 22:47. Reason: typo
Old 16th March 2021, 00:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

The way the whole price reveal is being cooked up, it would be a bummer if it is anything less than a 20L price drop. I know this is unheard of. And frankly the possibility is bleak. But just throwing it out there! Especially since they are building such a hype around the price reveal!
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 01:05   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asm3899_CHD View Post
The 6 cylinder no doubt is more reliable in the long run, but does not have the driveability of the 4 cylinder turbo. Another thing to note is that the 6 cylinder engine does not require high octane petrol while the 4 cylinder turbo generates the 264 bhp and 400 nm on high octane petrol only.
This is not right. The 6 cylinder Pentastar has better drivability and perfectly matched with 8 speed gearbox. This the the best engine under the FCA stable which has a butter smooth performance and the mileage is also good. The engine plays a very important role in how the 8 speed ZF performs with the tuning. I have not seen any better engine in FCA stable which is perfect combination of drivability, performance and economy. The turbo engine is good too but the combination with the gearbox is vague and you struggle to stay in powerband.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 03:24   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
This is not right. The 6 cylinder Pentastar has better drivability and perfectly matched with 8 speed gearbox. This the the best engine under the FCA stable which has a butter smooth performance and the mileage is also good. The engine plays a very important role in how the 8 speed ZF performs with the tuning. I have not seen any better engine in FCA stable which is perfect combination of drivability, performance and economy. The turbo engine is good too but the combination with the gearbox is vague and you struggle to stay in powerband.
If priced right, we might see Jeep Wrangler selling in good numbers though I am not expecting a triple digit figure. If their Pentastar keeps good number who know they might launch their HEMI V8 Engine too, its another Gem of an engine from Chrysler. There are so many revisions to it, Demon-HellCat-Eagle-Apache (IIRC from 5.7L to 6.2L) etc.
Old 16th March 2021, 07:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
If priced right, we might see Jeep Wrangler selling in good numbers though I am not expecting a triple digit figure. If their Pentastar keeps good number who know they might launch their HEMI V8 Engine too, its another Gem of an engine from Chrysler. There are so many revisions to it, Demon-HellCat-Eagle-Apache (IIRC from 5.7L to 6.2L) etc.
I had the wrangler with me for a while and i was planning to buy it too. Honestly its an overrated vehicle. Its perfectly suited for off-roading and has immense mod friendliness. Apart from that the car has nothing to boast about. The highway manners are not good, my son used to say it feels like driving in a vacuum cleaner. The wind noise and in-cabin acoustics are terrible. Here in my state many times there are terrible crosswinds and the wrangler feels terrible in those situations.

It surely sells due to cult following. I dont expect it to sell at all in India especially when we have the Robinhood's Wrangler A.K.A Thar. Hemi V8s are cool to have and very aspirational. Had it been the charger was available in V8 AWD avatar i would have blindly bought a hemi. But hemi gives exactly half the mileage when driven like a fast v6. A wrangler cannot even handle a v6 properly, let alone a v8. Those are better on chargers, grand cherokees, durangos etc which have better road manners.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 08:26   #60
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Jeep Australia doesnt sell any 2.0L versions anymore. The 3.6L Pentasars are priced @60000 Aus Dollars.

Jeep Wrangler 2.0L India should ideally be priced not more than Rs.43 lacs ex-showroom, giving it a fair chance to this premium brand to fight it out with a host of 2.0Ls in 35-40 lac bracket !

Actually, M&M's unethical copy - Thar has made 'Jeep Wrangler' more aspirational in someway for 'right' thinking folks.
niruvrs9669 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed