Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2021, 12:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh

Jeep is set to announce the prices for the locally-assembled Wrangler on March 15.

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-b1e1bda04a914494aca3ec84aff9bccc.jpg

The fourth generation Wrangler was launched in India in August 2019. It was imported as a completely built unit (CBU) and was priced at Rs. 63.94 lakh (ex-showroom). Last year, Jeep introduced the Wrangler Rubicon priced at Rs. 68.94 lakh.

The Wrangler will now be assembled in India using completely knocked down (CKD) kits. This is expected to bring down the price of the SUV significantly.

The Wrangler is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 264 BHP @ 5,250 rpm and 400 Nm @ 3,000 rpm. The engine is mated to an 8-speed automatic gearbox and a Selec-Trac full-time four-wheel drive system. The Rubicon has the same setup but is a more rugged version of the standard SUV.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 18th February 2021 at 20:33.
TusharK is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 12:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh

Spend so much money only to be seen as a wannabe Thar owner?
androdev is online now   (43) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 12:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Thar diesel is 130 bhp and the Wrangler diesel is 264 bhp so who is the wannabe?

Last edited by SDP : 18th February 2021 at 20:00. Reason: Formatting and typos
lurker is online now   (50) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 12:54   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Spend so much money only to be seen as a wannabe Thar owner?
Well, I will say the difference will be substantial. Every single component, right from the doorknob to rubber gaskets, will be of a different quality. And I am not even talking about the engine/ gearbox or the chassis. "THAR" is a lookalike at the very best but guess, for our market, the looks matter the most.

In CKD form, I don't expect the prices below 60 as Jeep gets the CBU at lower duty of 60% presently and even shifting to CKD, they will still have to pay 20 -30% duties. The key to lower prices is using components made in India which I doubt they can. At the best, they can use this plant for exports and launch at 10-20% lower prices. Maybe we can get 2 or 3 variants as FIAT will use the plant for exports.
Turbanator is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:06   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

They ought to have got in the Jeep Grand Cherokee in as CKD as it has a wider appeal and would have resulted in better volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Jeep gets the CBU at lower duty of 60% presently.
How is that?
Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:10   #6
BHPian

Also isn't the Jeep Wrangler unsafe as well ie poor GNCAP rating and poor handing during moose test? Why would anyone buy the Wrangler? They are too late to the party I guess.
Old 18th February 2021, 13:12   #7
VRJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

The Wrangler is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 264 BHP @ 5,250 rpm and 400 Nm @ 3,000 rpm.

Link to Team-BHP News
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
the thar diesel is 130 bhp and the wrangler diesel is 264 bhp so who is the wannabe ?
The Jeep Wrangler in India comes with a 2.0 PETROL engine in India. It’s got 268bhp and 400NM. No diesel is offered in India.

On a different note, when I recently went to check out the new Compass, the showroom had a preowned Wrangler on display. It was literally the worst interior I’ve seen in my life. I wonder how someone paid 75 odd lakh for this in the first place. It was very congested. The second row seating was even horrible. Absolute zero under thigh support. It might be one of the best off-roaders out there, but the interiors are a big let down. Hopefully the new ones better.

Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-9feaa20757b1414d90fe40d32096a5d9.jpeg

Cheers!
VRJ is online now   (21) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:13   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
They ought to have got in the Jeep Grand Cherokee in as CKD as it has a wider appeal and would have resulted in better volumes.
Cherokee will have to compete with like of X5 & GLE, both very established. What Jeep is trying to do is to play in relatively niche segment. Though, with THAR being so much closer to Wrangler now than ever, it will be a tough task. But anybody, who appreciates the built and otherwise can consider. Fortuner is around 40 so buying a loaded Wrangler at 60 - I see a chance.

It will all depend on the prices.

Here are rates of customs for CBU and CKD/ SKD. That's the reason you see a cap on the loadings on Boxter/ Maccan and some other BMW models. They want to keep it under 40 K USD.
Made-in-India Jeep Wrangler, now launched at Rs. 53.90 lakh-image_20210218_131255.png
https://www.siam.in/economic-afairs....8&pgidtrail=20

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
The Jeep Wrangler in India comes with a 2.0 PETROL engine in India.
Correct, they might come with Hybrid else the existing Petrol will continue.

Quote:
the showroom had a preowned Wrangler on display. It was literally the worst interior I’ve seen in my life.
Cheers!
They updated it last year. It's far better than previous years now but yes, the rear bench is a miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I guess this is the Wrangler Unlimited (4-door). Any idea if they will also get the 2-door version of the Wrangler under this plan?
If they shift the complete production for RHD markets, we may see, but I doubt given so much resemblance with the Thar. On 4-Door variant, the owner can still brag about the first 4 Door THAR (bought at premium)

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Mahindra has set a very bad precedent by shamelessly copying an iconic design and we buyers don't seem to have any moral qualms to reward such a copycat. I wonder why FIAT is silent about it.
Correct, they should have tried atleast.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th February 2021 at 13:23.
Turbanator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

I guess this is the Wrangler Unlimited (4-door). Any idea if they will also get the 2-door version of the Wrangler under this plan?
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:15   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

How is that?

The Grand Cherokee will be next in line for local assembly after the Wrangler. It was announced officially earlier.
Dippy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:17   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Well, I will say the difference will be substantial. Every single component, right from the doorknob to rubber gaskets, will be of a different quality. And I am not even talking about the engine/ gearbox or the chassis. "THAR" is a lookalike at the very best but guess, for our market, the looks matter the most.

In CKD form, I don't expect the prices below 60 as Jeep gets the CBU at lower duty of 60% presently and even shifting to CKD, they will still have to pay 20 -30% duties. The key to lower prices is using components made in India which I doubt they can. At the best, they can use this plant for exports and launch at 10-20% lower prices. Maybe we can get 2 or 3 variants as FIAT will use the plant for exports.
Exclusivity factor has taken a severe beating and it's a big deal for such money. Mahindra has set a very bad precedent by shamelessly copying an iconic design and we buyers don't seem to have any moral qualms to reward such a copycat. I wonder why FIAT is silent about it.
androdev is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 13:35   #12
BHPian

The 2.0 litre engine on the Wrangler is not a diesel engine. Instead it is a turbocharged petrol engine.
tanbeamer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 14:01   #13
BHPian

Here's a wacky thought-

The Wrangler sells for about 28,000-32,000 USD in the US (~21,00,000 - 24,00,000 INR).

If they actually make it in India and sell it for..say, under 30-odd lakhs alongside the Compass, it'll be fun watching the blood drain from Mahindra's marketing department personnel.

2020 Thar is amazing. I'm a big fan of Mahindra, their direction and vision but Jeep- the Wrangler- is the real deal. At a price where people will feel like they can almost reach it, almost touch it, it'll be a superb proposition and a complete market breaker.
Singh101 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 15:44   #14
BHPian

Don't think Jeep will price the Wrangler close to the Compass, for fear of cannibalising its own products. So even if there is 70% drop in customs duty it may not result in a significant price drop - given Jeeps penchant for premium pricing. Ideally 40L ex showroom is what would be good - let's see where they end up.
Old 18th February 2021, 16:24   #15
BHPian

Let's see how much of a price drop will be there.
Honestly, I am not holding my breath, since there hasn't been a big price drop when some German brand started making in India.

And, I am not sure how can people compare this with the Thar.
Thar is a great product in its own right, don't get me wrong. But, c'mon Thar is no Wrangler.
Next thing we hear is people saying why would anyone buy the G-Wagen because there's the Gurkha !!

And, yes, exclusivity's gone because of Thar. But, there are a whole load of buyers who buy just for themselves, not for people. World has all types of people.

cheers
lazy
lazy is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed