Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are you willing to spend more for a conventional automatic over an AMT?
Yes 412 88.98%
No 51 11.02%
Voters: 463. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:35   #31
BHPian

Re: Are you willing to pay more for a conventional automatic over an AMT?

I voted yes though I just bought a Wagon R 1.2 AGS. Problem is that manufacturers don't provide a proper automatic lower down their lineup. They feel that price sensitive buyers would not buy them. But I feel that if they have TQ/CVT option from base models then that price factor is offset to an extent. People these days are willing to pay 18k for plastic cladding in Wagon R so they would pay 18k more to get a proper automatic too.

AMT is good in most aspects but I do not feel connected with car when am driving one. Seems it has its own mind. I never experienced that headnod effect which most people dread but I do feel that too many gear changes happen unnecessarily. This might also be a reason for premature clutch failures. Secondly the manual mode is not entirely manual. It holds onto gears and does not upshift but it automatically downshifts when speeds get below a threshold limit. Similarly it does not allow early upshifting in manual mode. So if you want to upshift to gear 5th at 50kmph the car just won't let you do that. Personally I would have preferred this flexibility.
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 12:38   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

I will pay a premium ONLY for a Torque converter AT that is tuned to perfection. I'll pick the AMT over CVT, DCT any day. For regular hassle free usage, AMT serves the purpose absolutely fine and also delivers remarkable FE while doing that. Manual mode gives enough interactive experience.

AMTs are not meant to give adrenaline rush of course. But then they are targeted at a different customer-base anyway. So no need to compare the two as such. For the enthusiasts that want 0-100 / quarter mile time cars - there are faster alternatives available anyway. I'd love a fast DCT with paddle shifts to enjoy the thrill. But - I'll not actually pay a premium to own one. Its not something I need 24x7.
Reinhard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 13:04   #33
BHPian

Voted YES.

Having driven the AMTs in Maruti Desire and Celerio, Hyundai Santro, Tata Nexon and Mahindra XUV300, I have convinced myself either to buy a manual or a proper automatic.

I think putting AMT gearbox in cars like Nexon and XUV300 is a real shame. Drive the AMT and manual versions of these cars and you will get know what I mean.
TheVegabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:07   #34
srh
BHPian

Voted no. The premium for the TCs/ CVTs/ DCTs doesn't get justified by the so called 'performance' benefit. The significant ding on fuel efficiency further makes these simply unappealing.

What matters is the tuning of the entire power train - the power torque characteristics of the engine, the gear ratios and the tuning of the auto box. Another thing that matters is the person controlling the accelerator. I drive a diesel Nexon and it works fairly satisfactorily. One just needs to understand the power train characteristics, do some mental calculations and then modulate the accelerator. A bit of patience also helps (unless you are into the habit of treating driving as some kind of a drag race)

Last edited by srh : 23rd February 2021 at 14:08.
srh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 14:26   #35
BHPian

After owning/driving MT, AT, ecvt and AMT cars I don't think AMTs deserve the kind of criticism they get. Drivers should change the driving method for each kind of transmission, once driver learns the trick, AMTs also feel smooth. If I am buying a car for less than 10 lakhs, I don't think the premium of 10 to 20% to get AT or CVT are worth it.
nandrive is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 15:12   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I will pay a premium ONLY for a Torque converter AT that is tuned to perfection. I'll pick the AMT over CVT, DCT any day. For regular hassle free usage, AMT serves the purpose absolutely fine and also delivers remarkable FE while doing that. Manual mode gives enough interactive experience.

AMTs are not meant to give adrenaline rush of course. But then they are targeted at a different customer-base anyway. So no need to compare the two as such. For the enthusiasts that want 0-100 / quarter mile time cars - there are faster alternatives available anyway. I'd love a fast DCT with paddle shifts to enjoy the thrill. But - I'll not actually pay a premium to own one. Its not something I need 24x7.
Absolutely agree with you . And AMT is still an evolving technology. So, once the initial issues are sorted out, it will also become a very popular AT in a while. Also considering the FE factor and the rising fuel prices, AMT might become one of the most sought after automatics, in future.

However, at present, my choice would be CVT and then TC - no DCT. I predominantly drive within city limits where mileage and reliability are also important factors, other than convenience.
ashking101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 15:26   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Sometimes, you cannot teach an old dog new tricks. I, along with a lot of fellow BHPians apparently, have grown up on a diet of rock-solid Torque converter automatic and proper CVT automatic gearboxes. A lot many more have tasted blood with DCTs.

I guess the AMTs will appeal to first-time car buyers who haven't tried anything better yet. Or to those who feel that fuel bills matter more than anything else.

When I or like-minded BHPians say that we avoid AMTs like the plague, it's not a value judgment on those who do buy AMTs. It's a heart-felt expression of our horror at something that feels so wrong and out of place on the automotive landscape that we've known all along. We're old dogs and our choices are cast in stone. That's it and it's okay. To each, his own.

PS: If you would try holding this poll outside of Team-BHP.com, you'll get a result that swings the other way in favor of AMTs. This is a forum of enthusiasts after all.
locusjag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 15:34   #38
Team-BHP Support

Voted yes only if the costlier gearbox is a Torque Converter. People can call me paranoid, but I still do not have too much faith on the reliability of other types of gearboxes. If TC gearbox is not an option I would be happy with the less complicated AMT or go for a manual gearbox if there is an option.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 16:30   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanidhya mukund View Post
My question to you is:

Would you spend more money to get a CVT or torque converter over an AMT? If yes, then how much more are you willing to pay?
I think the question needs some reformulation. You seem to be asking if people would pay more for a reliable, smooth shifting automatic transmission. And from the responses so far, I gathered that they are answering this question rather than stating their preferred technology for automatic transmissions.

From what I've been reading on the internet, AMT is the future. Fancy Lamborghinis (The flagship Aventador makes use of a 7-speed automated manual transmission, with just one clutch.) seem to be using them, and so are commercial vehicles.
Quote:
The trend toward AMTs is evident throughout the industry, and market penetration is upward of 80%, according to representatives from Eaton Cummins, an AMT manufacturer. Eaton Cummins Automated Transmission Technologies was formed in April 2017 as a 50-50 joint venture between Eaton Corp. and engine maker Cummins Inc. to produce automated transmissions for medium- and heavy-duty trucks.

Volvo Trucks North America reports an AMT share of about 93% for all of the transmissions it manufactures. Daimler Trucks North America introduced the Detroit DT12 AMT in 2014 and currently reports a 90% adoption rate among its Freightliner Cascadia truck models.

The transition has occurred quickly, said Mike Roeth, executive director of the North American Council for Freight Efficiency. In 2014, NACFE published a confidence report predicting swift adoption of AMTs, and that phenomenon occurred within a year.
Quote:
Allison Transmission is the main company offering fully automatic transmissions for OTR trucking in the U.S. It does not offer AMTs or manual options, only torque converter automatics. The company reported a 4% net sales increase in this year’s second quarter compared with the second quarter of 2018.

It recently announced the introduction of a medium-duty 9-speed transmission, which builds on the fuel efficiency, performance and durability of the 6-speed model.

“We believe very strongly there are benefits to having this power shift capability,” said Richard Price, Allison Transmission’s executive director of Customer Integration and Application Engineering. “The torque converter allows a fluid coupling in the drive line. As such, we’re able to use that fluid coupling for very fine maneuvering at low speeds.”

In Class 8 trucks, that means better maneuvering with automatics than with AMTs when backing toward a trailer or loading dock. NFI, for example, initially experienced issues with trailers jumping while backing after switching to AMTs, and drivers had to adjust their operating procedures.

Torque converters also take full engine torque to help launch a vehicle, Price said. “If you have to come to a stop on a hill, your chances of getting started with an automatic are much better than with a manual or AMT.”
AMTs have many advantages: fuel efficiency, ability to handle high torque and reliability. As of now, AMTs in Indian cars seem to have a few issues. I am not aware of the current state of the art with regards to the latest in this technology, but I'm sure that in a short period of time, all the issues would be satisfactorily addressed. More so, because this technology is being used in commercial vehicles. It might take a while for the refinements to trickle down to our cars, especially where there is an added cost, but with every new generation, the AMT will improve and likely beat every other transmission on every parameter.

The AMT may never shift as quickly as the DCT /DSG, or rival the specific advantages of the CVT or the TC slushbox transmission, but overall, it is likely to be the best performer on all parameters important to the average driver. There are already trucks with a creep gear and 14 gear AMTs. There are trucks with the AMT mated to a TC. No reason why they can't put 12 speed AMTs in cars if they see a market, so smooth and rapid shifting AMTs are possible. The only catch is the price. It is also likely that the military industrial complex will keep the AMT's refinement below that of the slushboxes to keep the slushbox manufacturers in business until they've had a chance to recoup their investments.
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:10   #40
BHPian

Voted NO.

The thing to remember with AMTs is not to push them for the initial 5 minutes of starting the vehicle. Once the engine heats up, the shifts are smooth. Workaround? For the first 5 minutes, I drive in the Manual Mode and then once the threshold is met, I shift it in Auto mode.

Infact the shifts are so smooth in my XUV 3OO, that in a couple of days, I am going to shoot a video from inside the car using a mobile and while using a G Force recorder.

And the benefits far outweigh the initial 5 minutes compromise. Stress-free drives, mileage as good as manuals and the maintenance costs no where near a conventional AT.
DevilzzzzOwn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:21   #41
BHPian

I dont know why majority of threads dedicated to automatic cars have AMTs getting bashed. I know the technology is evolving and it cannot match the experience of regular automatics, but are the AMTs that bad?

AMTs cost around 50K more than the manual variants while proper automatics would cost 1 lakh to almost 1.4 lakhs higher. The hike of 50-70K wont look that high but for a 5 lakh rupees car it adds 20% higher cost. Budget car segment is highly price sensitive and price range of cars are tightly bundled. And then there is segment overlaps.

No wonder manufacturers have shifted from proper automatics in cars like i10 Grand or even Wagon R to AMTs and enjoying the success as well.

AMTs require some driving to understand the mechanism and how to avoid the head nods. Once one understands the working, they are pretty sorted for everyday driving. You dont lose out to precious fuel economy or power in the process. Yes the shifts arent lightning fast but not everyone in the budget segment cares. Manual shifting of gears can be little fun as well.

So do I feel like spending extra on a Wagon R or Spresso or Tiago for proper automatic ? No. Not really.

What it is for higher segments ? I would definitely like cars like Nexon or XUV 300 with a proper automatic gearbox.
Turbokick is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:29   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
I dont know why majority of threads dedicated to automatic cars have AMTs getting bashed. I know the technology is evolving and it cannot match the experience of regular automatics, but are the AMTs that bad?
Yes, they do feel that bad to us. My FNG mechanic also confirmed to me that he and his colleagues out in the field generate a lot of income via out of warranty AMT repairs that are very frequently experienced by owners. Sure, it doesn't have to stay that way and the technology can improve...

Quote:
So do I feel like spending extra on a Wagon R or Spresso or Tiago for proper automatic ? No. Not really.
Here's a paradox - by now, we've surmised collectively in this forum that AMTs perform best in bigger-engined cars; they are less likely to malfunction given higher engine displacement and output. This is just something we've observed, based on ownership reports. And yet, AMTs are best suited in economic terms to smaller-engined entry segment cars on which they have failed a lot!
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:33   #43
BHPian

Voted for YES.

My real answer however, depends heavily on the segment of the car. If I was in the market for a 5-6 lac rupee car, would I be willing to extend another 50-60k for a proper AT over AMT, probably not.

However, change that equation to a 10-12 lac rupee car, and suddenly the difference doesn't seem so huge.

In a longer term perspective, I could see how AMT would slowly make Manual gearboxes disappear in the 4 to 10 lac rupee range - and that's a change I can get onboard with.
ts1506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:41   #44
BHPian

To be honest, after going through multiple reviews in team-bhp which states about "jerkiness", "head bang" affect, I was not very confident about the "smoothness" of AMT

For the last few days, I've been driving around my FIL's just delivered i10 Nios AMT ( this is my first tryst with an Auto gearbox ) and I should say I'm completely impressed with the refinement it offers

For an average city commuter, with an marginal increase of 25K over their manual counterparts, AMTs are here to stay
Sk8r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 20:22   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Secondly the manual mode is not entirely manual.... I would have preferred this flexibility.
Well, isn't this good that it doesn't upshift on its own in manual mode? The AMT is supposed to make you free from shifting. The manual mode is for few situations which we can sometimes use for fun.

Suppose on a downhill road drive, I shift it to manual mode and keep it in 1st or second gear so that I don't want it to shift it to higher gears for some engine braking. Now if it would upshift on its own in this situation it would defeat my purpose.
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks