Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are you willing to spend more for a conventional automatic over an AMT?
Yes 412 88.98%
No 51 11.02%
Voters: 463. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2021, 20:38   #46
BHPian

Re: Are you willing to pay more for a conventional automatic over an AMT?

Voted YES!

AMT’s are only for the sake of convenience of an automatic. For someone who loves to drive, AMT gearboxes can never give the pure pleasure of driving. I know that the best driving experience is with the MT’s, but since here it’s about the AT boxes, AMTs simply fail in this department.

I would wholeheartedly spend that extra buck to get a proper auto box. Sometime back I wasn’t even convinced to get a CVT due to the infamous rubberband effect; but having driven the latest cars like the Magnite, I wouldn’t mind picking up one!

However, my top pick will always be the erstwhile TC auto box.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 20:49   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Suppose on a downhill road drive, I shift it to manual mode and keep it in 1st or second gear so that I don't want it to shift it to higher gears for some engine braking. Now if it would upshift on its own in this situation it would defeat my purpose.
I don't think you understood my point. In manual mode the car should stick to the gear chosen by me irrespective of driving condition I am in. In Delhi the traffic and speed limit makes sure that I usually drive in speed band of 30-50kmph. For 1.2 K series engine in Wagon R this is a 4th gear territory and car can easily potter around. But even in manual mode as soon as speed drops to 50 car slips to 4th, then below 40 it shifts to 3rd. I can clearly feel the engine can easily remain in 4th for quite a bit of this entire range but it just doesn't allow me to do that. So too many gear changes keep happening which I feel can be avoided if I get complete manual control.
Maverick Avi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 21:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
I don't think you understood my point. So too many gear changes keep happening which I feel can be avoided if I get complete manual control.
Oh yeah got it now. I interpreted it as why the car doesn't upshift in manual if it can downshift.

Understood your point. But yet I feel that the manual mode is basically only for such uphill/downhill situations rather than having fun or total manual control with it. A lot of the user base won't use even that and would only use the brakes.

It's basic and serves the purpose for that. You may know that it can stay in 4th gear when it shifts to 3rd with your experience but a lot of the masses (mostly first time drivers) probably won't and may cause it to lug, stall or go bad blaming the AT because it didn't take care of it "automatically"
RavSam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 22:36   #49
Team-BHP Support

I would rather take the bus than buy / drive an AMT. Trust this clarifies.

Axe77 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 08:52   #50
BANNED

Conventional Automatic transmissions are less complex, convenient. It won't cost much to repair. Most of the torque converter based transmissions are reliable upto the life of the car. While DCT is worthy consideration in the interest of fuel efficiency, CVT is not an option, massive car driven by steel belt??!?! It is absolutely not suitable for steep areas. AMT is completely out of the league.
hamhaj16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 09:08   #51
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Voted: Yes

Going from a Maruti 800's 4 speed manual directly to a 6 speed DSG DQ250 was quite the thing for me. Despite being jerky in the 1st gear, it is smooth indeed. Now that I have tasted blood, it is hard for me to use an AMT.

Agreed, there is a method of throttle modulation shifting with DSG that works with AMT as well. But AMTs are clanky as a steampunk engine. No matter how good the engine might be (Nexon and XUV300), AMT will let it down. Something feels off about the transmission, I'm at a loss of words to explain it properly. At least Ecosport has a TC, definitely slower than the DCT but a bit smoother and peace of mind and anyday better than an AMT. So, yes. I would pay a premium to get a TC/DCT over an AMT (I would choose an AMT over a CVT).

But we as consumers, are paying a premium for everything in the automobile market. Let's not make it a habit of making those greedy cats even fatter.
vredesbyrd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 10:10   #52
BHPian

Voted No.

I favor AMT for the following reasons (speaking wholly of my Swift):

1. No annoying rubber band effect.
2. No scary over taking moments on the highways.
3. Manual mode is fun and sporty. You could even put it in the normal 'D' mode and it just beautifully adapts to throttle inputs by downshifting or upshifting as needed.
4. You will eventually learn how to drive fuss free in traffic when you've driven it enough.
kpkeerthi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 10:35   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think AMT as a technology has anything wrong with it, perhaps if fitted to a vehicle with good power and sound insulation it maybe the best thing to have.

All AMTs I have driven so far had a small NA petrol engine , AMT is the best automatic for this case due to its efficiency, I do think they should add traction control to all automatic vehicles to reduce wheel slip on inclines.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 10:50   #54
BHPian

I am surprised by the votes ratio to be honest!
I think that the voting choices are just in the mind but while buying it's entirely a different story. In my mind I would vote for a Rolls Royce Cullinan as the best car that I would own but my wallet would vote for an Ertiga.

The TC ATs like A-star, i10 and Grand i10, Xcent, i20 and Elite i20 CVT, Ritz (remember it?), Figo DCT, Aspire DCT, Brio, Amaze to some extent did NOT at all sell as much as their manufacturers would have liked to. Try finding a Ritz AT in used market.

Some of them were as close to the pricing of AMTs of today. So why did they not sell well? The answer: Fuel efficiency!

While many would want to own a TC (or non AMT) gearbox car, the single digit fuel economy figure would cause them a mild heart attack at every refill. So voting yes for "would you shell premium..." is easy but buying them is a different ball game.

Again, if you step into the higher segments, say above 10 lakhs then this question may stand valid. Even then the fuel efficiency does play on the mind of a lot of buyers.

Last edited by RavSam : 24th February 2021 at 10:51.
RavSam is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 13:15   #55
BHPian

Absolutely yes!

AMTs are jerky and feel cheap and inferior while driving. Can never connect with that gearbox, no matter how much manufacturers claim to have "fixed" them. Happy to drive conventional ATs rather.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 4th March 2021 at 13:16.
Col Mehta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 13:25   #56
BHPian

Voted Yes to the poll and with my wallet.

Bought a Baleno CVT last year, even though there was a ridiculous premium over the manual.

Amazingly, there was (at the time) no other cars in the 10L on price bracket with a CVT or TC. A few AMTs (Nexon, XUV300), otherwise not even many automatic hatchbacks to choose from.

The Polo was refused on account of poor rear legroom (and it had previously lost out to our Swift 8 years back).

Over the last few months of ownership, I feel the decision was justified. The Baleno CVT is super smooth. Fuel economy of course takes a hit, and stays around 13kmpl in city traffic, but the refinement and comfort levels are just wonderfull.
ask99 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 13:47   #57
BHPian

Hell no!! I would not pay the extra dime for a full AT. The convenience of AT is matched by AMT without any sacrifice in FE. With the ongoing refinements in AMTs, it is not too far off where the head nod feeling becomes imperceptible. I can easily live with the trade offs. When you add the flexibility of the triptonic manual, I will never be convinced about a true AT. But yes, if the prices ever converge, it maybe change my opinion.
Carma2017 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 14:13   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
A resounding ‘YES’. 60-70k over AMT equivalent is fine with me. In EMI terms it’s nothing and I get a smooth and reliable gearbox.

Infact I already did. While purchasing new car in 2019 my non-negotiable criteria was an automatic and with a starting budget of 8L, AMTs were the only options. Didn’t like them at all as mine is a 1 car garage. So I can’t live with the headnod on daily basis. One option was i10 grand TC but its single digit FE numbers & small size drove me away. Increased budget to 10 and tried out nexon AMT which I absolutely loved except for the AMT transmission. Finally had to settle for Jazz CVT as it made sense for my requirement of spacious, reliable, smooth & marginally frugal option.

If we had Magnite/Kiger back then, would have been a strong contender but alas they weren’t
I bought Datsun AMT in 2018 with unlimited kilometres warranty as my second car other one being ciaz diesel. I so loved redi go for convince that I have driven it 50 thousand km in two years with ciaz sitting almost idle. Mileage is always 17 plus in city and 20 plus on highway. Initially I struggled to adjust with jerks but then learnt to manage throttle input ensuring negligible jerk . It is so reliable that I have done three delhi to siliguri trips in it and surprisingly no rattling noise till date. So for me it now seems like hitting a gold mine. I got it for zero dp at the discounted price 3.9l on road.
Steer-safe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 15:45   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I would rather take the bus than buy / drive an AMT. Trust this clarifies.

I would like to believe this is a bit of exaggeration.

For someone who has never driven automatics, AMT is as good as any automatic out there

Maybe you had a bad experience with a particular brand's AMT. I would suggest you to try Hyundai's, who have done a fabulous job with their AMTs ( realibility is yet to be proven tho )
Sk8r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 15:47   #60
BHPian

Voted Yes. I did pay more for a CVT around 4 years back when I bought my Baleno. Personally, the driving experience was the first priority for me in choosing a car before any other features in the car. The AMTs available at that time did not make it a smooth experience at all and there were a lot of niggles being reported. The Baleno CVT was the only proper automatic that fit my budget and I had to compromise by going for a middle variant instead of the top variant. I am glad I made that decision. However, AMTs have become smoother and more reliable over time and my recent experience with a Nexon AMT was quite good. Today, it would probably depend on the price gap between the AMT and a full automatic. I wouldn't pay the premium that I paid 4 years back for a full automatic when it comes to today's AMTs.
targaryen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks