Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th February 2021, 13:36   #1
BHPian

Default Which will be your last ICE car, before switching to new energy vehicles?

I came across the thread by Bhpian Sahil (Predict: Which will be your first EV & when will you buy it?) asking which will be your first EV. Since I own an E2O and a Nexon EV, I realised I am already on my last leg of ICE car ownership. I am pretty sure a lot of people will be switching to EV in next couple of years and whatever they drive now or buy next would be their last ICE car. Which one do you think would be your Last ICE Car and how long do you plan to keep it?

I had a Chevy Cruze, which I always thought would be my last fuel powered car and intended to keep it as long as I can. I took great care of it and it still looked the same if not better than when it was new. Unfortunately, the car had to be scrapped last month after an accident. As of today, I have only 2 EVs and no fuel powered car. But I do intend to buy my last ICE car this year and I want this one to be special. If I had been rich, I would have gone for a Porsche or some nice sports car which I could treasure for the rest of my life. But as any regular middle class guy, I don't have that kind of money and will have to be content with 10-20L bracket. There are no great vehicles that is available for that money if you look at new vehicles. So in all probability, I will be buying a used car which I could treasure as long as I can.
I am very much interested to see what bhpians has in plan for their future and may be I could get some good idea for my next purchase.

Last edited by GTO : 21st February 2021 at 11:48. Reason: Linking to Sahil's thread, so BHPians get the context :)
Holyghost is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 13:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Which will be your last ICE car, before switching to new energy vehicles?

I think I would like to hold on to a ICE car till the day I die and perhaps leave it for my kids to enjoy after. Ideally a V8 or above. However all these long term aspirations will only be true if the governments permit ICE to live on in some form and car makers continue to give service support.
Sahil is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 14:58   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: Which will be your last ICE car, before switching to new energy vehicles?

Hmm. This is pretty difficult to answer. No idea to be honest. It would depend on the Government policies and one's own finance.

Unlike collector cars in the past, no one would buy mass cars of this era for future holding, since the resale value will go directly to scrap value once ICE cars are banned. Unless one is rich and has funds to store a car for collection purpose, I don't see anyone buying a car for the last ICE car experience. Also what if there is no more supply of fuel ?

Currently in India I have the 5th Gen Honda city as my primary car. I guess I will hold on to that if ICE cars are phased out in the next 6 years or so. But I don't see that happening. Now just like my reply in the 'First EV Car', why not make a grand prediction for my last ICE car ? Not that grand, but I think this would last me till the end of time without spares and support. Only thing I would want is fuel. Plenty of it !
Name:  thumb2toyotalandcruiser200dustoffroad2019carssuvs.jpg
Views: 7804
Size:  103.3 KB
TrackDay is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 18:01   #4
BHPian

Depending on the upcoming scrapping policy, I may have the chance to buy 1 more ICE car at max, which sort of saddens me as I had made a post in a recent thread here (Cars that you regret NOT buying!) about cars that I regret not buying and some are still on my list of owning someday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
1. Honda Civic V AT with sunroof from 2011 or later
2. Maruti Baleno VXi
3. Maruti S-Cross Alpha 1.6
7. Maruti Baleno RS
8. Mitsubishi Pajero SFX
9. Toyota Fortuner 4x4 AT
If I really had to keep only one last ICE car till I switch to an EV, it will be either my existing SX4 ZXi if not scrapped or one of the last lot Pajero SFX and 2012-16 Fortuner in 4X4 (yes, the search is still on, since ages). I am a big fan of pre-owned cars both due to sheer value and being time-tested unlike newer products.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
Not that grand, but I think this would last me till the end of time without spares and support. Only thing I would want is fuel. Plenty of it !
Well, the Land Cruiser has been a constant of my dream car garage over the years, but being brutally honest with myself, I will not be anywhere close to owning this financially by the end of this decade, so compromising with its lesser sibling.

Also your last line reminded me of a funny video you must watch.

Last edited by Researcher : 19th February 2021 at 18:19. Reason: Added a comment and video
Researcher is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 11:47   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Which will be your last ICE car, before switching to new energy vehicles?

The question is a bit premature. Sahil's thread was spot-on because there are already a couple of EVs available today, and we'll have quite the selection in a couple of years. But ICE cars, IMHO, are going to be around for the longest time. Because of the enormous costs + infrastructure + attitude changes + habit changes required for a mass switchover to EVs, I feel ICE cars are going to happily coexist with EVs in the foreseeable future.

If & when EVs account for a majority of car sales (15 - 20 years away if you ask me), ICE cars will still be on sale. The death of ICE cars is greatly over exaggerated.

To answer the question in the thread title, I will always have a fast turbo-petrol or turbo-diesel car in my garage.
GTO is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 11:59   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Which will be your last ICE car, before switching to new energy vehicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshan Joshi View Post
By the time I buy my first car it would be 2030. So my first car would most likely be an EV if there is a ban on ICE cars.
As I mentioned over here, by the time I buy my first car there would most likely be a ban on ICE cars. So I would have to settle for a EV.

But If things go right I might get a car when I turn 18 (I can only pray for It).If it happens , then a used Fiat or Skoda.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 19:09   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The question is a bit premature. Sahil's thread was spot-on because there are already a couple of EVs available today, and we'll have quite the selection in a couple of years. But ICE cars, IMHO, are going to be around for the longest time. Because of the enormous costs + infrastructure + attitude changes + habit changes required for a mass switchover to EVs, I feel ICE cars are going to happily coexist with EVs in the foreseeable future.

If & when EVs account for a majority of car sales (15 - 20 years away if you ask me), ICE cars will still be on sale. The death of ICE cars is greatly over exaggerated.
Nobody is predicting that ICE cars will go extinct. The point is how many will buy a new ICE car when affordable EVs start hitting the market. I dont think it will take 15-20years for such cars to hit the market. Quite a few bhpians are already waiting for EVs with ~500KM range and are holding on to their current cars. For a lot of people like them, their current or next car would be their last ICE vehicle and that is already happening.

Mine is a good example. I never intended to buy another ICE car and was planning to keep my Cruze for long distance travels for the rest of its life. I bought a Nexon EV and my future purchases will also be EVs with longer range or some other New energy vehicle. I brought up this topic only when I realized I no longer have an ICE car. I am planning to buy one last ICE car not because I have a genuine requirement, but only because I am already missing my Cruze and I need something nice just to satisfy my heart. My only genuine requirement is an EV with 400KM+ range.

I did a few of 1000KM+ drives on my Nexon EV; the longest being 1600KM Trivandrum-Bangalore-Trivandrum round trip. Nexon EV is not suitable for such long distance drives, but I also realized all we need is a 350-450KM range vehicles with decent fast chargers that will satisfy 99.99% of long distance drives.
And for those who doubt the infrastructure, Take a look at the fast chargers (CCS2) that have come up in Kerala. Green ones are active and red ones are work in progress (some already active). Until Oct 2020, there were no public CCS2 fast chargers in Kerala and this is what we have as on Feb 2021 with atleast 1 FC station in 100KM radius. The red ones will become active in 1-3 months and we will have fast chargers every 50KM. And all this happened in less than 4 months.
Name:  FastChargersFeb2021.png
Views: 6318
Size:  1.08 MB

Last edited by Holyghost : 21st February 2021 at 19:24.
Holyghost is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 19:32   #8
BHPian

You'll have to pry out ICE cars from my cold, dead hands. I just don't feel that connect with EVs and would probably limit my EV purchases to two wheelers given their utilitarian nature, unless forced to adopt EV cars.
RoadMonkey is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 19:51   #9
BHPian

My current Innova Crysta will be the last ICE car before I switch to EVs. But this is not going to happen for the next 13 years.
raghukodali is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 21:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghukodali View Post
.....not going to happen for the next 13 years.
Something only a Toyota owner would say.

Man, I haven't even started earning, and to think that ICE cars are going to slowly become rare hurts my soul. By the time I'm properly settled and all, I'd still want a good ol' ICE car.
But my parents are probably going to have an EV in the next decade. Most likely our second car purchase once the SUV goes. Since it's the oldest..

Last edited by viXit : 21st February 2021 at 21:54.
viXit is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 22:46   #11
BHPian

Although slightly unrealistic, I would like my last ICE car to be the Lexus LFA. By the time I have worked enough to earn the car, Im sure it will be very rare to find one however this car simply brings a wide grin on my face whenever I see any video of it. I can't fathom the excitement when I get to see one in real life

On a slightly unrelated note, does anyone follow Shmee150's garage? His collection is one of the sweetest and most well balanced between daily drivers that seem exotic enough and full blown enthusiast treats. I would very much like to emulate that experience when my time comes.
Shiftlock is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 20:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Something only a Toyota owner would say.

Maybe we will have an Electric Innova Crysta by then so that I can make a seamless transition.
raghukodali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 20:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki SCross 1.6 Alpha - No more switching, unless this car is damaged beyond repairable condition.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 21:33   #14
BHPian

I've got my sights on the BMW M340i as my last ICE car. Looking forward to having fun it before I grow too old to enjoy driving such a car.

The other potential candidates are BMW 530d / GLC43 AMG.

Now if only I could find a genie to grant me some wishes.
pavanmadhini is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2021, 21:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

We have two at home.10 year old Hyundai i20 Diesel and and 2 year old Tiago Petrol . These two will probably be the last of the ICE cars. I intend to keep them as long as they run trouble free. The i20 will stay for another 10 years if nothing goes majorly wrong with it. Same with Tiago as well. By that time the EV's would have caught up with the range of around 500 kms in normal driving conditions, which is my prerequisite for a EV. Currently, the i20 does around 800 kms on a tankful on highways and 650 in city.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 22nd February 2021 at 21:42.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed