View Poll Results: Do you?
Yes 161 43.87%
No 206 56.13%
Voters: 367. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2021, 11:18   #76
BHPian

Re: Auspicious days & times for car deliveries | Your thoughts

I will share a completely different experience with you all.

My first bike TVS Victor was delivered on Amavasya (which is considered highly inauspicious).
We didn't even do Puja that day after delivery.
The company had to change my bike as the first bike that was delivered to me was defective from factory itself and the replacement bike was delivered on Amavasya.

I learnt driving on the bike and it was with me for 10 years and is still being used by my friend in his village.
We were little bit sceptical about our bike initially as it was delivered to our home on inauspicious day, but one year down the line, bike was part of many memories including me driving it to my medical college to pay my first fees before starting my medical education.

My first Swift got delivered a day before my engagement. We wanted the car immediately as delivery got delayed before and engagement day was closer. We didn't bother to check the auspicious time and date then. The car skipped Puja ceremony, and it wasn't even checked properly by us after delivery as it was straight away put to use for ferrying guests. My baby daughter came home from the hospital in the same car.

Conclusion -
One shouldn't think too much when unknowingly you get the vehicle delivered on inauspicious days. Enjoy the vehicle, because as time passes only the journeys and memories associated with it stays with us for lifetime. (Not the delivery date or time).
DrCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 11:24   #77
BHPian

Something I strongly believe in:

"All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you."

Sums it up pretty neat.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 11:25   #78
BHPian

I do definitely pray before pickup a new car and also before driving particularly on highway trips. Reinforcing that spirit to drive safe and responsibly is far more critical than choosing an auspicious date in my view.

Echoing the thoughts already mentioned, my mantra has been the sooner the better. I somehow don't like the car standing at the dealership before delivery and like to pick it up as soon as it comes from the yard. Or else dealerships often engage in abusing them (read offering test drives and moving them back and forth due to space constraints).
Old 24th February 2021, 12:00   #79
BHPian

In my family, a car is bought once in anywhere between 6 and 10 years, and that definitely is a cause for celebration. Personally, I'd love to pick it up at 12 noon, any day, no problems with it whatsoever. That's when I'm my most active and fresh. However, any small thing becomes a family affair (not that I'm complaining), and along with it comes a small problem. There's a nice phrase in Tamil that sums it up really well, which roughly translates to "if there are 4 people, there'll be 8 varying opinions".

I don't believe, or rather I don't know enough to have belief in cosmic shifts and planets moving to have effect in my daily life. However, my mother and father do. Their belief is based on placebo effect, and thus if they're happy, I'm happy. A car is a big purchase, and if it comes once in few years, I think I can wait a week and shift appointments around to accommodate it.
Old 24th February 2021, 12:00   #80
BHPian

My family belives in Muharat and most of our purchase are on auspicious days. However, when we were buying replacement for our Santro, which had already been sold at a very good price, we did not care.

We went to the showroom on Saturday, asked for a white Xcent (which was fortunately available) in SX variant and bought the car home.
Old 24th February 2021, 12:03   #81
BHPian

I don't believe in any such superstition at all. I have never even thought of this before buying a car, house or anything else. Nor have I ever done any ritual or pooja before moving in to a home or starting to use the vehicle. I don't have any religious icon or statue in the car or at home. I would simply want to take delivery as soon as possible or whenever convenient
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 12:04   #82
BHPian

In India , it's embedded in DNA of many people to follow the auspicious day ritual.
I am also believer in it & followed it while taking deliveries of my past 3 cars and 4two wheelers.
By co incidence one may say ,all served me well till i sold them. Plus every Dussehra puja of vehicle is must for me.
Old 24th February 2021, 12:07   #83
BHPian

I don't believe in fairy tales, so any day is an auspicious day if I'm getting a new ride
imranstael is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 12:07   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Attachment 2124371

What are your thoughts & beliefs on taking car delivery around these auspicious times? Did you ever have a l-o-n-g wait because of any of them? For which car? How much did you wait?

Attachment 2124370
Do not believe in all this, however when babies are born, the janamkundli and fate for people who believe this stuff is for when the bay is manufactured as a complete unit (not just conception in the womb). The baby may spend 15 days in the NICU (dealership) and come home after 15 days. But birth charts are for complete unit manufacturing.

So if you do believe in this, what matters is the date and time when the car was manufactured. The day you bring it home is irrelevant.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 12:10   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Since my Childhood, my father believed that no time is good or bad. That's what I believe too.

My first Bike - a Pulsar - I took it as soon as it was ready. No temple trip nothing. Apart from a few minor accidents, it was with me for 7 years before I sold it off.

Then my first car - Maruti 800 - the delivery executive didn't let me go out without any prayers. The official "Poojari" at the dealer did some usual stuff at the small temple within the dealership. After that my mother forcefully took me to another "powerful" temple near my home. Wife and mother forcefully kept a Ganesha idol also inside. 4 years later the car was totaled in an accident!

The next car - Punto - I didn't budge and just took the delivery and drove home. for the next 6+ years I had a dream run with the car and still miss it.

Tuesday, Saturday, Amavasye... A good PDI, good maintenance and disciplined driving on the road is more important!
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 12:53   #86

When it comes to such beliefs, most of us are shaped by our environment. Our beliefs are generally shaped and reinforced by what we see and experience.

I was brought up in an environment where time, day seemingly played a big role in all kinds of decisions. However, through exposure to other cultures, a bit of reflection and reading, I have come to understand that most of these beliefs are made up and vary significantly from one society to the other. For instance, while 'Amavasya' is considered inauspicious in a number of societies, I was given to understand that it's auspicious for Tamilians.

In the simplest sense, humans are not different from apes but with better cognitive abilities. And, we have used some of those cognitive abilities to cook up stories/build narratives that could (positively & negatively) influence significant members of our species. Most of these beliefs are nothing but imagined realities.

So, I gave up on all kinds of beliefs associated with time, direction (vastu) and even religion.

Everyone who has taken birth on this planet is incredibly fortunate to have prevailed in the greatest of all lotteries. And we do not need any more good fortune, seemingly determined by far away celestial bodies, to help us navigate through these trivial races/decisions.
thelonewarrior is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 13:00   #87
BHPian

I remember when I bought my Polo 1.5 TDi, when I went to check and book the car on 12th of July it wasn't officially launched as the 1.5 engine was supposed to get launch on 15th July. The dealer had a red car in their stockyard but it wasn't on display yet, but they showed it to me. My only criteria was that I wanted the car on my birthday which was on 17th July and I wanted it to be Highline silver only. Even the prices were not out that time of the new 1.5 Engine. The dealer promised me he will arrange the car by then but getting the permanent registration will not be possible in 2 days as it was a new engine which will get launched on 15th July. I was happy that the dealer kept his promise and delivered the car on 17th morning and it was their first delivery as well of the New Polo 1.5 that time. Haven had any major trouble with the car yet.

For my A4 the car was ready on 12th Feb but my nephew was about to be born and I told the dealership to keep everything ready and we got the good news on 14th feb and I picked the car same day. The car has been trouble free till date as well. But as some other members pointed out the only superstition in the family is don't get a car home or any infact any other metal things on a Saturday.
Old 24th February 2021, 13:04   #88
BHPian

Usually for me the best time to get the car is when its ready, day and time doesn't matter.
However, if the dealer or someone at home says to not get it on some day, say like Saturday because one is not suppose to bring home iron on that day, I have gone out of my way to do the opposite and get the car on that very day. I strongly believe that my driving and maintenance will determine the cars.

I did this for my first car, Swift VDI and that car ran beautifully without any problem in the time I owned despite my not so ideal driving styles and ofcourse our notorious roads.

Last edited by Turbolove : 24th February 2021 at 13:05.
Turbolove is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 13:05   #89
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

My friend and me bought our first vehicles home on 09-09-09 (a pure coincidence and nothing else). However, it fell within the shraadh so he didn't want to get it registered. We drive to Pondicherry on 23 SEP(pay completion of this shraadh). On the return leg, he fell asleep, car turned turtle and narrowly escaped a fatality. His rationalisation of the incident? Would have surely died had it been shraadh.. Escaped only because it was an auspicious day
Personally, no auspicious day like the present moment, no inauspicious days at all for me.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 13:12   #90
BHPian

To be frank, this thread itself is inauspicious.
Wondering if saffornization of team-bhp started.
I hope next topic is not putting praying before starting our journey.
Please let's bee rational firstnot subject to blind/semi blind beliefs. I hope my post don't get taken down.
navrddy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed