Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2021, 07:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai customers can now buy 'Shield of Trust' package that covers 14 wear & tear parts

Tata Motors have the 'Promise To Protect' for 4 years now (Besides AMC and Extended Warranty). Under that they are replacing 'wear n tear' parts, no questions asked. Hyundai is a taking a leaf from that, and I expect them to honour the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
With “shield” package : SA: No issue with vehicle, can go smoothly until 65k Sir, Dont worry sir.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 10:35   #17
BHPian

Re: Hyundai customers can now buy 'Shield of Trust' package that covers 14 wear & tear parts

This is indeed a value proposition from Hyundai, let me put this in a perspective as I am a beneficiary of similar Promise to Protect scheme from Tata for my Tigor. My Tigor had run 43000 kms in the first 2 years of ownership and was driven on very bad roads.

Following were the wear and tear parts changed under P2P which covers my vehicle for 4 years from date of purchase and 60000 kilometers.
Front Brake Pads (one time) 2100/-
Engine Mounts all (one time) 6900/-
Wiper Blades set (Twice) 1780/-
Suspension bush (once) 890/-

I paid somewhere around 8000 rupees for P2P, and got work worth 11670/- done for the same. In fact my vehicle has run 53000 kms now and wiper set and probably brake set shall be changed in next service, so add another 3000 rupees to the benefit.

As suggested on TBHP I also opted for extended warranty up to 4 years and 1 lakh kilometers, bought EW at 9000 rupees and already made up on that price when my entire steering rack assembly was changed free of cost under EW.

So all those looking forward to purchasing a Hyundai car, the Extended Warranty + Shield of Trust is a value proposition, hence go for it without any doubt it will make your ownership fuss free for minimum 5 years. Do understand that Shield of Trust covers wear and tear parts which are not covered under any standard EW and also many a times Under regular warranty too, For example in case of Tata, Clutch & Shock Absorbers was covered up to 50k kilometers in regular 2 year warranty too. But wipers, mounts, bushes, brake pads, window winder, brake lining, brake cylinder, brake disk, hoses, ball joints and auxiliary belt all these items are not covered under regular warranty. Even if you change your wiper set 4 times, brake pads set once and Suspension bushes once in 5 yr/ 60k km of the scheme, you are profitable, and coverage against all other things come as an added bonus.
For people who do lot of runs on bad roads, have a habit of riding the clutch(my dad has and believe me never has a clutch lasted more than 40000kms on any of his vehicle), do not give this a miss.
A rupees 10k worth Shield of Trust and another 8 to 10k worth Extended warranty is peanuts when you are buying a car worth 10 lakh on road, based on my experience from last decade(urban) our roads and traffic aren't getting any better and so is wear and tear.

Last edited by ArTigor : 24th February 2021 at 10:46. Reason: Grammatical & Typo error.
ArTigor is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 11:19   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post

With “shield” package :
SA: No issue with vehicle, can go smoothly until 65k Sir, Dont worry sir.

SA- Service advisor.
Won't SA still have an incentive to do the job even if it's under the shield package? They will get reimbursed for labor and part replaced from Hyundai.

The margin might be less compared to the price charged from the customer, however the absolute margins are sky high anyways (close to 30-40% )
Old 24th February 2021, 11:43   #19
BHPian

I have been Quoted around 72K for 5 years SOT for my Hyundai Tucson. I dont think it will need replacement of wearable items to this extend for next five years (ofcourse unless something goes terribly wrong). All in all i think this is kind of revenue generating tool for Dealers and Service centers. It would have been better had Hyundai offered SOT for older vehicle between 5 to 10 years. That is when most of the wearable items in a car wears out.
LONG_TOURER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 12:12   #20
BHPian

Seemingly great package. The effectivenes, rather, the motive of this package will only depend on the acceptance rate of claims.

However, I think this is just a marketing ploy and won't help anybody except the manufacturer and dealers.
Old 24th February 2021, 13:46   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Won't SA still have an incentive to do the job even if it's under the shield package? They will get reimbursed for labor and part replaced from Hyundai.

The margin might be less compared to the price charged from the customer, however the absolute margins are sky high anyways (close to 30-40% )
Yes for small ticket items like viper blades etc they wont.

But for items such as clutch and brake disk, who knows, it would be down to their margin on labour vs overall cost.

Afterall its a business, if everyone who has taken this starts requesting clutch change before 60k, i doubt they will honour it.
SideView is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 18:25   #22
BHPian

This is a good sign from Hyundai to provide a package for wear and tear parts. Hope this becomes norm across all OEMs.

For aggressive driver and less usage(60k limit), this seems worth.

I won't take this package as my primary usage is on highways and with my type of driving(in manual car) the wear and tear parts will definitely last beyond 60k.

A Hyundai car is expected to be reliable(general viewpoint), I can take that risk of not having this package.
Old 24th February 2021, 18:56   #23
BHPian

Seems a little bit steep and sort of a rip off, especially considering that he coverage is only till 60k km. Majority of the users may not see that much running in 4 years. Most normal users are not going to need a new clutch assembly within this mileage. Like @GTO mentioned, you will benefit if you are planning to burn a clutch! For i20, the price quoted is 13k, and knowing Hyundai, this is the price without GST, be prepared to pay 8% GST on this.

The prices shown in the detailed division seems inflated. 22k for an i20 clutch, that better be a high performance clutch from their N division!
From my own personal experience of owning an elite i20 CRDI which ran 80k+ km in 5 years, wear and tear items mostly would not amount to the money one may pay.

Below are the items I had to replace in 80k kms :
Clutch assembly at 70k km, cost around 14k including labour. (Replaced it during a service camp / mela)
Disc pads (front) : Cost around 3000 including labour (Included cleaning the discs)
Suspension bushes : 350 a piece, multiple times.
Rear suspension stopper bushes (at 75k km, 1200 rs)
Tyres (which are obviously not covered)
A tail light bulb (110 rs)

Note that I had extended warranty till 4th year, there were other issues, but those parts were replaced under extended warranty. (AC compressor, evaporator, expansion valves, boot electric latch(2), keyless entry sensor(2))

I was under the assumption that the window winder, wheel cylinder and engine mounts are parts which are normally under the standard warranty of the car. I have personally got these replaced in my Chevy Beat and brothers Tiago under warranty.
ps_abhijith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 22:44   #24
BHPian

In the charges shown above for different consumables, the headlight bulb for Santro is shown as 1200/-...I am just wondering if it is really this expensive or is it the price for all the bulbs (headlight, brake light, turning light)??
Old 15th June 2021, 21:09   #25
BHPian

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but is this shield of trust useful for an automatic vehicle? Since the major component in SOT is the clutch assembly, I’m not sure if this will be useful in an AT. I am receiving the diesel TC next week so was hoping if someone could help me on this. Thank you.
Old 20th October 2021, 14:06   #26
BHPian

Have checked regarding the Shield of Trust Super and was finally able to clear the mystery of SoT Super.

The current price list (across all models) of the Shield of Trust Super is attached below. Will try to analyze the benefit of the same later but it's surprising that SoT Super of Alcazar & Tuscon is cheaper than Creta!!!

Shield of Trust Super Pricing:

Hyundai customers can now buy 'Shield of Trust' package that covers 14 wear & tear parts-hyundai_sot_super_19th_oct_2021.png
HP-BHP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 11:41   #27

Hi, does anyone know if this SoT package is valid for 2nd owner? I've a company leased vehicle. So if I edit the company, I'll be buying out the car. And I would become the 2nd owner. Is the SoT package transferrable?

Most Viewed