Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Tata's Feb 2021 sales highest ever in 9 years

Tata Motors sold 27,225 units in February 2021. That's the highest ever sales recorded by the brand in a single month in nearly 9 years.

Tata aims for 10% market share with Safari, HBX launch-2021tatasafari01.jpg

In January 2021, Tata had sold 26,978 cars, which translates to a month-on-month growth of 1%. The carmaker registered a growth of 119% compared to the same month last year.

Tata Motors registered a YoY growth of 30% in the M&HCV segment (8,771 units), 68% in I&LCV segment (5,624 units), 29% in SCV cargo and pickup segment (15,606 units) and a 63% degrowth in the passenger carrier segment (1,247 units). CV exports stood at 2,718 units.

Total domestic sales for the month of February 2021 were 58,473 units with a YoY growth of 54%.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 2nd March 2021 at 13:23.
TusharK is online now   (62) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 13:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata's Feb 2021 sales highest ever in 9 years

Wow kudos to Tata. Anyone else complaining how the market is tough, show them this article. A brand that had literally gone way down, such that I was even advised to sell our week old New Tata car back in 2011.This is a Phoenix from the ashes story. But One word I have for the brand. Please don't rest. The wolf on the hill is not as hungry as the wolf climbing the hill. Please keep on innovating. You can climb higher !
Tata aims for 10% market share with Safari, HBX launch-tata.jpg

Last edited by TrackDay : 2nd March 2021 at 13:57.
TrackDay is offline   (55) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 14:38   #33
BHPian

It is very refreshing to see an Indian car manufacturer climbing up the hill like that in a market that is dominated by foreign manufacturers. Tata's innovation track record has been nothing short of impressive in the past couple of years.

I personally have had a change of heart for this brand. More power to the Tata team and hopefully this inspires more Indian automotive brands to step up their game!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:01   #34
BHPian

I think TATA is finally reaping the benefits of a well thought out portfolio of models and the safety rating of each of them.
I’m excited to see what their new launches will be.
AnAvgJoe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:02   #35
BHPian

The turnaround started with Forever Young range and the excellent work done by sales and marketing of PV. Now get the HBX launch sorted and focus on quality control, after sales and continual refreshes. Staying relevant is very important. CV division also needs greater intensity.

Best of luck TML, make us proud.
digitalnirvana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 15:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Very satisfying for us Tata fanboys to see this. They have made some tough decisions to achieve this. Dropping underperforming models has resulted in a small but aspirational product portfolio. Not spending on AWD on Safari was also a great decision. That is one of the key reasons why they are able to price Harrier and Safari so competitively.

Beyond the obvious quality improvement, where they need to focus is product life cycle management. The current portfolio should get updated with facelifts every two years and generational changes every decade. Growing sub-brands is a key aspect of staying in this business. Tiago, Nexon, and Harrier are powerful subbrands now. They should ensure what happened to Sumo and Sierra does not happen to these new brands. These brands should continue for decades through generational changes like Corolla, Swift, Fortuner, etc. That alone will take care of the resale value problem with Tata cars.

A brand that needs close attention in the portfolio is the Tigor. It is not doing well compared to Suzuki and Hyundai offerings even with better safety ratings. They have to do something to protect it. Dropping it is not an option. Either adding more features or reducing prices. Make it relevant in the market again and then maybe increase prices slowly.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 2nd March 2021 at 15:33.
padmrajravi is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:04   #37

As per autopunditz , 1707 units of Safari and 2030 units of harrier has been shipped in February 2021. So the twin brothers have produced 3.7k units per month and i am expecting these numbers to be consistently greater than 3.5k.Well done Tata!!! Safari launch is an organized one and if same happens for HBX the average monthly numbers will be above 30k.
https://www.autopunditz.com/post/1-7...-of-its-launch
535dinesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 16:51   #38
BHPian

Finally Harrier twins overtook Hector twins by 75 units , Clap Tatamotors is a true fighter now !

Quote:
With the launch of 2021 Safari; Tata has cracked the formula to surpass MG Hector's volumes. Tata Harrier+Safari dispatches collectively were 3,737 units against sales of 3,662 units of MG Hector & Hector Plus.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata aims for 10% market share with Safari, HBX launch-1614684077297.jpg  

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 2nd March 2021 at 16:56.
TorqueIndia is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2021, 23:46   #39
BHPian

I've been watching from the sidelines and have been silently cheering them on. Their continued success fill me with a sense of pride.

Two things I'm hopeful for:

1. Not missing out on sales because a specific variant isn't available: I was looking for a petrol automatic for around 10 lakhs in 2019. At that time they didn't have a product at all, then the wrong engine. Till today the Altroz doesn't come with an automatic, meaning that gap still hasn't been filled.

2. Plug the only major gap in their portfolio: The Creta/Seltos rival has to come in and take the fight to the Koreans. About 3k people a month now bring home a Tata worth 25 lakhs, clearly the brand pull is now there.

And no sedans please. It might be tempting to come up with a City/Verna alternative. But the Seltos of today is the City of the past.
SS8939 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 00:04   #40
BHPian

This weekend I happened to visit Tata showroom in Bengaluru. It was bustling with crowd. Forget the availability of salesmen, there was no place to sit. I just thought one thing, threat to Maruti is not Hyundai or Kia, it is Tata.

We were looking for Safari, but given the unapproachable status of showrooms, we decided to go for Seltos.
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 00:30   #41
BHPian

Congrats Tata! This is the testament to their hard-work and not taking the Indian market for granted. Our home-grown boys - Tata and Mahindra can stand shoulder to shoulder (or at time up and above) with the best offerings in their respective segments. If they play their cards right especially with affordable EVs, they might even be able to be competitive globally! Couldn’t be more proud.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 01:03   #42
BHPian

superb state for TATA passenger cars. A journey and strategy to take pride. And the journey should grow much higher.

Improving the service levels and introducing creta/seltos rival in the 4300 mm space would make the armour undefeatable.

Definitely a lesson for Honda and Toyota to learn on strategy. And a slap on Maruti face to produce only unsafe cars (SCross and Brezza are exceptions and safe cars).

Would love to see them cross Korean cousins single handedly :-)
tirumalavoleti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 07:03   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
This weekend I happened to visit Tata showroom in Bengaluru. It was bustling with crowd. Forget the availability of salesmen, there was no place to sit. I just thought one thing, threat to Maruti is not Hyundai or Kia, it is Tata.

We were looking for Safari, but given the unapproachable status of showrooms, we decided to go for Seltos.
I totally agree with this, when I first.made.my booking for Nexon EV there used to be hardly any people on weekends also. Last month when I visited to change it to Altroz I turbo, there was no place to sit.
Coming to the car, you are going to own it for half a decade atleast and experience it every day. I think the showroom experience of a day is nothing compared to the time we will be spending in the car. You should test drive the Safari before making the final purchase! Cheers!
Raghuwire is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

Great work from Tata. Every car in their lineup scores highly on the desirability factor.

My next wishlist:
1. ATs for the smaller cars- that's where all the action & money is
2. Eliminate niggles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirumalavoleti View Post
Definitely a lesson for Honda and Toyota to learn on strategy.
From a global PoV, India is really a small market for Toyota & Honda. Extensive regulation & taxes don't help either.

If anyone can learn, it is Mahindra. I still don't understand their strategy. Where is their competitive sub 4m SUV? Where is the Marazzo AT?
landcruiser123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 10:39   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata aims for 10% market share with Safari, HBX launch

What I find more significant than the sales numbers is - Tata Motors has finally broken through the glass roof. It is able to confidently put a price sticker of 25 lakhs on a car, and it sells by the thousands. Gone are the days when the brand was exclusively associated with VFM+low cost offerings & it was something that was a must from their cars. All features & low cost.
Finally people are ready to put money on the brand, even when lacking some features that the competition offers. To get this done in an era of competition like never before - is remarkable. Exciting times ahead if they keep on refreshing the portfolio at the correct pace and aligned with what customers want. With fast turn-around times.

If the Sierra now arrives at the opportune moment after HBX (H1 2023 I pray!) - this brand is on a roll. The Sierra will pull far more strings than the Safari did. Especially given how promising the exterior design of the concept looked!

Last edited by Reinhard : 3rd March 2021 at 10:56.
Reinhard is offline   (23) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks