Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2007, 17:12   #181
BHPian

Now GM should repeat this kind of pricing strategy for the Optra Diesel, the Captiva and then they can make up for what they lost in Detroit and the ROW!

Rediff:
India to be 2nd-fastest growing car market: GM

April 17, 2007

General Motors, the world's biggest carmaker, wants to consolidate its presence in India as it expects the country will emerge as the second-fastest growing automobile market globally in the next decade.

"Next decade, India will be the second-fastest growing automobile market in world. . . it till be important for GM to do well in emerging markets such as India for its future," GM chairman Rick Wagoner said on Tuesday at a meeting with the Confederation of Indian Industry.

Global car sales this year are estimated to be about 70 million units, he said, adding 70 per cent of the growth would be coming from Asia-Pacific region,

He said during his Prime Minister Manmohan Singh earlier today he assured the company's support to enhance India-US economic relations.

Wagoner said he was impressed with the vision of Singh about the Indian economy and political system, and also the vision for the automobile sector.

The 2016 automotive mission plan was a well-thought out programme and GM would be happy to be a part of this strategy, he added.

General Motors also plans to increase sourcing from India over the next 4-5 years to $1 billion annually.

"We have been increasing localisation content and with volumes expected to rise, we expect to raise sourcing from India to a level of $1 billion," D Nick Reilly, president of GM Asia Pacific, said.

Citing the example of Korea, he said within four-and-a-half years of operations, sourcing from that country has increased to slightly less than a billion dollars.

In India, he said, the company has ensured about 92 per cent localisation in Chevrolet Tavera. The soon-to-be-launched small car Spark would also have a very high level of local contents, he added. -- PTI

(Above) Rick Wagoner, chairman of General Motors, talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during a meeting in New Delhi on Tuesday

Last edited by rangaraj : 17th April 2007 at 17:14.
Old 17th April 2007, 17:14   #182
Team-BHP Support

Is it still a 3 cylinder engine?
Old 17th April 2007, 17:16   #183
Senior - BHPian

I think the 3.09 lakh version wont have PS and PW (much like Santro XK).

Even then, i think the pricing is good. Its going to give the wagonRs and Santros of the world a run for their money.

So ladies, Estilo or Spark ?
Old 17th April 2007, 17:17   #184
Senior - BHPian

GM seems to have got their pricing right. If thats the Delhi price I expect the Mumbai prices to be around 3.5 to 4.25 lakhs for their respective four variants. The Matiz was always well known for its 800 cc three potter, I'm hoping this one to be even better and GM will ofcourse offer their great warranties too.

Great recipe for a small car battle me thinks
Old 17th April 2007, 17:23   #185
Senior - BHPian

I didnt see their website being updated with spark..so we have to wait to see specs..

Finally GM comes with good pricing i guess..compared to overpriced UVA.

Lets see how market reacts..this may change fortunes of GM if things go well...they just need a brand image buildup
Old 17th April 2007, 17:24   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Is it still a 3 cylinder engine?
rtech, i think its 4 cylinder for the 1000cc one.
Old 17th April 2007, 17:26   #187
Senior - BHPian

Coming to think of it the Spark might spell sheer trouble for its stable mate the U-VA. As it is it hasnt really sold much since the launch and the Spark might finish it off for all we know.
Old 17th April 2007, 18:40   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Coming to think of it the Spark might spell sheer trouble for its stable mate the U-VA. As it is it hasnt really sold much since the launch and the Spark might finish it off for all we know.
They are in different segments all together... much like the swift and the estilo.
Old 17th April 2007, 18:54   #189
BHPian

check GM Spark
I dont know if anyone noticed but Chevrolet lamely tried to create a buzz online by asking this question on Yahoo! answers. Methinks the ad budget well at GM has run dry. They should take off those dumb U-VA ads and run a sparky one for spark.

The covers should come off after the TV coverage later tonight I guess.

If the car is anything like the Estilo, and if they have better attribute that they can vividly and saliently communicate, GM is in the game. I hope those attributes are economy, space (maybe as much as the Santro) and longer service intervals. Personally I think that the Estilo is a rip-off. It just about seats 4, and looks a little to wimpy. Nice Ad though.
Old 17th April 2007, 19:26   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

This is all-out war. The Spark has my best wishes to emerge the clean winner.
Old 17th April 2007, 19:42   #191
Senior - BHPian

Any Pics!!!! I know its too early but want to see the "launched" spark!!!
Old 17th April 2007, 19:43   #192
Team-BHP Support

theMAG, isnt that obvious since you started this thread???

Jokes apart i feel the Estilo needs to be given a good trashing, and the Spark will light the spark here.
Old 17th April 2007, 19:59   #193
BHPian

Head lines today is running ticker about the launch. Looks like they are covering it at 8.00p.m!!!

Last edited by gkrishn : 17th April 2007 at 20:03.
Old 17th April 2007, 20:35   #194
Senior - BHPian

saw the launch party on headlines today. for half hour on all the blah blah. a few points:

1. prices as everyone knows 3.09 to 3.89 ex showroom delhi
2. until three months this car will not make it to south india, so southies yet another irritating wait!
3. GM wants to produce atleast 7k units per month at the cost of reducing production of optra, tavera, uva and aveo (perhaps the uva may tend to zero !! who knows!? )

4. its the same matiz stuff, but the console is now at the center (which i personally find irritating)
5. the gear shift looks like a lollipop (its really so funny)
6. yep the power windows and all goodies are there
7. boot seems to be as big as santros boot
8. 2 engine options as discussed earlier here
9. wheels look like steel with tubeless
10. lots of jazzy colours
11. no mention of ABS/Airbags at all !! i m not sure i can write a TD review so soon since i live in the south so over to my northy friends!
Old 17th April 2007, 21:06   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
i m not sure i can write a TD review so soon since i live in the south so over to my northy friends!
GeekSrik, I dropped into Garuda Automotive late today evening (8PM) and asked the solitary employee I found there about the Spark; he said they expect to start accepting bookings around the *end of May* (add a wait of upto 2 months till delivery?) and they will have a car available sometime, but *only for display*, not for test drives.

Dunno if a (hopefully frugal) 800cc motor on the base model (without PS, but hopefully with A/C) is worth paying approximately 3.55 on-road Bangalore and waiting that long, that too without a test drive!!!

GeekSrik, I hope you wangle a test drive out of them when the "display car" hits the showroom.

Most Viewed