Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2007, 22:21   #1
BHPian

Tata Motors launching Indigo XL base model

Tata Motors is set to launch a base variant of the limousine Indigo XL model, the Indigo XL Economy. Any updates on pricing and features ?
Old 23rd April 2007, 09:31   #2
BHPian

Here is the update .. and looks nice.
Quote:
Tata Motors is set to launch a base variant of the limousine Indigo XL model, the Indigo XL Economy. It is most likely to be Rs 1 lakh cheaper than the existing top of the line XL model, said industry sources.
The Indigo XL is currently available in diesel and petrol variants priced at Rs 7.54 lakh and Rs 6.85 lakh respectively (ex-showroom, Mumbai).
A Tata Motors spokesperson said that the company does not wish to comment on future product launches.
The XL limousine model was introduced in January 2007 and has been logging sales of 500 units a month.
Introduction of the base model is in pursuit of the strategy to make the XL model even more affordable and has prompted the company to set a sales target of 1,000 units a month.
The Economy model may not have certain features, like the DVD-based four-speaker integrated entertainment system with headrest-mounted twin LCD screen, a 12V socket in the rear console, electrically operated outer rear-view mirrors with integrated turn indicator lamps, six-way-powered front seats with lumbar support and chiller compartment in the glove box, which are present in the XL variant.
It will continue to have the choice of two new 1.4 litre engines - the 16-valve Twin-Cam petrol engine churning out 101 PS and the silent high torque 70 PS DICOR (common rail) diesel engine.
The limousine model was first displayed at the Auto Expo 2006, New Delhi. It is the country's first limousine with a wheelbase of 2,650 mm - extended by 200 mm over the Tata Indigo.
The Hindu Business Line : Tata Motors launching Indigo base model

Last edited by navdeep : 23rd April 2007 at 09:32.
Old 23rd April 2007, 10:39   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A lac cheaper! That would amount to about 6 - 7 lacs for the petrol and diesel variants. Hit with the private taxi segment?
Old 23rd April 2007, 10:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm...stretch Limo with 101 PS engine at 6 Lakh doesn't really sound that bad. Even for individual owner (non-taxi)!

The goodies removed from top end model are not really that significant and one can live without them.
Old 23rd April 2007, 11:01   #5
BHPian

so can we expect Logan D price cuts .. its a good move by Tata. They wants the people to rethink if they are buying Logan D... Tata network, same big inside feeling, FE etc
Old 23rd April 2007, 11:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

this move screams Taxi Market! Good move by tata IMHO- This will entice the Corolla buying segment in the taxi market.
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone driven this 101PS petrol unit?
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:05   #8
Team-BHP Support

The stipped down version will get rid of features like DVD player, bluetooth etc., I think power windows will stay.
So at 6 Lakh you have a 100bhp petrol stretch limo at 6.5 you have the DICOR.
Looks like Mr Ratan said Tata to Logan.

As for 101PS, I could not drive that as only the DICOR was available. But the guy started it for me. Its pretty quiet on the outside, quieter than the Xeta.
I wonder why doesn't Tata put 100bhp in the 1.4 LX indica.
That will increase FE, volumes will mean lesser costs and finally there will be a reliable hot hatch in the market.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 23rd April 2007 at 12:09.
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:12   #9
BHPian

I saw one of these things - it's fricking big! I first thought it was a Camry.
Tata just needs to plonk in a V6,CVT and Satnav into this thing, and they'll totally corner the US rental market.
Old 23rd April 2007, 12:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

It is stupid but perhaps understandable for Tata's press handouts and sales guys to describe the Indigo XL as a "limousine". However, I'm surprised to see a few team-bhpians also using the same description for the car. Looks like a case of a lie becoming the truth when spoken repeatedly.
Old 23rd April 2007, 13:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
I saw one of these things - it's fricking big! I first thought it was a Camry.
Tata just needs to plonk in a V6,CVT and Satnav into this thing, and they'll totally corner the US rental market.
Whats Satnav ??
Old 23rd April 2007, 13:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite View Post
Whats Satnav ??
Have a look here ..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...-software.html
Old 23rd April 2007, 13:03   #13
Team-BHP Support

This thing has more rear legroom than almost any car available in India from the Laura to the S Class.
Considering the way most car makers have packed people like sardines in cars before, this is actually a poor mans limo.
For all the shortcomings Tata may have, I give credit to them for being the first ones to give a small hatch where you could actually sit on the back seat(tall guys) without asking the dude in front of you to place his legs on the dashboard.
If I had to commute from Noida to Gurgaon every day(40kms one way) in traffic, i.e, almost 4 hours a day on road, sitting in the back seat, I would choose the XL over any other car below 15 lakhs.
Only when you sit in the back seat of a car with your legs stretched, you realize what it means.
Old 23rd April 2007, 13:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
this move screams Taxi Market! Good move by tata IMHO- This will entice the Corolla buying segment in the taxi market.
And pray why will they do that? I can't think of any reason why they should. This move has 'Lo, Gun' Logan written all over it.
Old 23rd April 2007, 13:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
And pray why will they do that? I can't think of any reason why they should. This move has 'Lo, Gun' Logan written all over it.
Maximum legroom, rear AC vents, smooth engine (the petrol), cheap spares and widespread backup- all this at a price 2L less than the base corolla- sounds like a good deal to me if I was a taxi operator servicing "luxury market" clients!

Most Viewed