Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2021, 05:52   #16
BHPian

re: Mahindra Thar | My topsy turvy buying & delivery experience | Issue now resolved (page 4)

@13thpsycho, you have great patience or wanted to buy the car still even though there were so many small and big bad experiences. The initial problems that you have scoped just point that the dealer wanted to sell the car to someone else and make extra cash. Why were they so indifferent with their approach and they did their best and podium spot to them for ruining your experience.
Five incidents happened and the vehicle is yet due for the delivery. Then the experience post the delivery was not good. So many efforts were put and the vehicle is back in the Service center.
Wish we had stricter laws in India like other countries so that the Car Manufacturers and Dealers are not able to get away with easily.
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 06:00   #17
Team-BHP Support

re: Mahindra Thar | My topsy turvy buying & delivery experience | Issue now resolved (page 4)

Sad to see you had to go through this experience with a brand new car, right from the sales experience. What was Mr Gopal's answer to the car being brought back to the workshop right after taking delivery?
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 06:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

And its the Petrol Thar with a brand new Mahindra petrol engine but even given that its pretty poor in my opinion, the white smoke and all the dash lights. I would stay away from a Mahindra petrol engine anyway.
Old 26th February 2021, 07:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

No, you did not make a mistake in choosing Thar. The car was always a rough diamond. Once you get used to its imperfections, you tend to love it more I guess. My friend is part of a large joint family and picked up this car on whim. His family wont go in the back seat, as its not comfy. 'The climb up', to get in, 'is cumbersome' he says. All I've seen him do is wax his black beauty. He hardly takes it out. It's more of a showpiece. The car is mostly there to make a macho statement, and be ogled at. Hope Mahindra fixes all the niggles in your car, and you actually get down to using it. Wishing you the very best
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post
Did I make a mistake buying a Mahindra Thar? How is it possible that within a couple of kilometres from the showroom the car electronics start going crazy? Who is to blame, is Mahindra providing shoddy goods and robbing us of our money? Or is it the dealers, who haven’t done proper PDI or training? No matter what the case is I am the one to lose. I need your help and suggestions as to how I should proceed with this matter. I have already registered a complaint with Mahindra through their customer care number. Any and every help would be welcome.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 07:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Im surprised no one has commented on one very suspicious activity. The dealer said your brand new car has gone to the workshop for paint protection and anti rust, when, as per your post you did not order it. Cars do not need these treatments anyways these days, especially anti rust (its just a gimmick at the dealership level). So to me this sounds mighty suspicious. Maybe there was an issue that cropped up while the dealer staff were handling the car and they sent into workshop to cover it up, or (and this is me wearing my ultra cynic hat), the dealer was miffed with you for not buying insurance from him and deliberately messed up your car (sh*t happens!)

Wrongly done pressure wash of the engine can cause electrical to go awry. diesel sprayed on the engine bay by the dealer can cause white smoke when the engine bay heats up, etc etc

So I would be as suspicious of the dealer here as I am critical of shoddy Mahindra quality.
himanshugoswami is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 07:22   #21
Senior - BHPian

I’m hoping we get to hear the initial diagnosis from the OP today. I’m guessing that it can potentially be the sensor that’s the culprit here.

I did get to drive a a Petrol Auto yesterday, a TD car that looks well abused with about 2K km on the ODO and it drove smooth with all the items in infotainment working and displaying.

Hopefully it’s a sensor issue.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 08:03   #22
BHPian

I would say, while you get your SUV back, make sure to take with you another BHPian and do a thorough PDI with our detailed PDI guidelines.

I've seen instances where the dealer pulled a fast one on unsuspecting customers. As others pointed out, I sincerely hope this is just a minor sensor issues, but again wary of Gopals. Please do make a video recording of the PDI just to be on the safer side. Also make sure to warn the dealer of a massive media campaign if the problem crops up again.

Hope you get this resolved soon and start crunching million miles
doxinboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 12:31   #23
BHPian

It somehow seems your car was used (or subjected to) as a test car. It was roughed up and then sold off. That is why the sudden force (read extortion) to purchase, and masked reasons for sending a brand new vehicle to the mechanic (which ironically you paid for). Ideally when 'problems' 3,4, and 5 happened, you should have pulled off the deal. It was apparent something was not right. You chose the correct car, but used the incorrect dealer.

In the passion and desire to own a car this happens, and people stop using logic rhyme or reason. I would suggest. Stop using this dealers mechanics/workshop. Get is assessed at another shop and thoroughly repaired. Else you will have woes for your 14L vehicle.
asingh1977 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 12:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to learn about your ordeal. Ironically, this forum voted it the best car. A problem is a problem, big or small, it shouldn't manifest in a new car right out of the showroom. A car which has so many issues shouldn't be eligible to be on the list of best cars to begin with. But like someone mentioned, it is always good to wait and watch such products. Wait for a year or two and all the issues will be sorted out and the new iteration of vehicles would be pretty fine. This car is in a different league altogether. Buyers must move with caution, there are too many moving parts here.
Old 26th February 2021, 13:32   #25
AZT
BHPian

I would go against the grain and say, design rip-off aside, the car is decent value for what it offers. It's too soon to say whether your car is a lemon or the problem is something minor like a rat eaten cable so please post more details when service center gets back to you.

If you haven't yet, please drop a mail to Mahindra customer care and let them get back to you as well, dealership can BS you but not the company. The Thar is definitely a head turner and I'd still say it's a good buy.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 13:47   #26
BHPian

Will be great if you can keep posting updates. I hope that these issues are sorted out and you have a great drive!

Last edited by pandabear : 26th February 2021 at 13:49.
pandabear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 16:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Mr. gopal mentioned either you take the car with new prices or car cancel.

The salesman at Leader Automobiles, Patna, Mr. Gopal, told me that the company does not allow insurance from other companies. I would have to take it from them for the first year. I told them to give this to me in writing. He made me speak to his GM and I told him the same thing.
A day or two before my birthday Mr. Gopal calls me up and tells me what are you doing with the booking are you taking the car or not? I was stunned, when did I say I wasn't taking the car? My bank had already cleared my funds even before I spoke to Mahindra. So the delay is from their end and he is telling me this? He then goes on to tell me that I have customers who are willing to give me One lakh in black to get the car delivered to them and the dealer will not hold the car for long and the dealer will cancel your brothers booking and give the car to someone else.
Mr. Gopal tells me that anti rust coating is already done and I will have to pay 3500 for it. Guys do you see what is happening here?
I haven't heard or come across an SA so rude and inept as this guy. Seriously appreciate your patience.

Has this showroom/workshop came up recently? I doubt the workshop guys are skilled enough. When preparing the vehicle for PPF or for the Anti-Rust coating, I'm guessing they haven't taken proper care during the wash.

I would suggest you to write a detailed report on events leading upto this, especially on how the SA and GM have spoken to you and mail it to Mahindra customer care and then share a screenshot of that mail on every social media platform tagging all the handles of Mahindra and Anand Mahindra himself.

Next thing as suggested already, please take a trusted mechanic/TBHPian and get it PDIed again. You cannot take the words of the workshop mechanics now.
neelkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 10:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

I thought this was the same thread on which I had posted a few days back. Nope this is a new one & nothing new to add here other than that the initial customers are guinea pigs . Hope your issue gets resolved soon.

Quote:
Hello Bhpians
The salesman at Leader Automobiles, Patna, Mr. Gopal, told me that the company does not allow insurance from other companies.
Quote:
A day or two before my birthday Mr. Gopal calls me up and tells me what are you doing with the booking are you taking the car or not? I was stunned, when did I say I wasn't taking the car? My bank had already cleared my funds even before I spoke to Mahindra. So the delay is from their end and he is telling me this? He then goes on to tell me that I have customers who are willing to give me One lakh in black to get the car delivered to them and the dealer will not hold the car for long and the dealer will cancel your brothers booking and give the car to someone else. What amazing hospitality I have to say and well trained Mahindra sales staff!
Quote:
He then called me up and told me that you take an extended warranty for 4 years 1,20,000 kms. I told him straight away ok for it. Little did I know it was an extended warranty for one additional year not four. Three years warranty comes with the car. Maybe I misunderstood or the famed Mr. Gopal tried to trick me into buying it.
Quote:
Everything was in place but their was an additional charge of 9500/- for anti rust coating and paint protection. I told them specifically I don't want it, I will get it done from someone I know. Mr. Gopal tells me that anti rust coating is already done and I will have to pay 3500 for it. Guys do you see what is happening here?
I hope Mahindra does sees to it that the sales personal behaves with customers in a much better fashion. This is not the way to do business.

Last edited by TrackDay : 27th February 2021 at 10:19.
Old 27th February 2021, 10:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Bhpians
Problem 1
My cousin had booked the car in October so he had got a deal to get the car at the introductory prices. The dealer then told me that they will have to open a booking under my name and they cannot offer me introductory prices. Mr. gopal mentioned either you take the car with new prices or car cancel. Eventually I had to agree with them. Problem resolved!
Problem 2
The second issue was that I told them that I have my own insurance agent ..

Problem 5
Mr. Gopal tells me that anti rust coating is already done and I will have to pay 3500 for it. Guys do you see what is happening here?
Looks like the dealer is not happy with the amount of money they were making off you. Thar is a runaway success for Mahindra and the dealer is milking it for all that it is worth. Everything they pushed on you were huge margin items for them. You should reflect your thoughts on their reviews and name and shame the dealer. I've first hand experienced how much of a difference it makes when they know that there can be pushback on them.
astrodex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 11:27   #30
BHPian

Sad to see you go through this underwhelming THAR experience, starting right from the booking to the day of delivery.

Hoping that all your issues will be sorted out soon and wishing you a hundred thousand+ happy miles with the beast.

Also, I request mods to change the thread title to something reflecting the actual Issues or niggles related to a fresh new THAR.
kamilharis is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks