Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2021, 16:50   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The 200,000 km hall of fame | Pics & experiences with your 2 lakh km car

I would have mentioned about two of our earlier cars that crossed the 2L mark, but that has happened after we sold them - the 2000 Indica and then the 2005 Sumo Victa. If the Victa had been with me, then a definite entry here. But :(

TSK - i believe you got your truck pre-owned ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
• Major work done
She's been through two clutch changes, a full engine overhaul mostly to keep her in tune and perform like new, and changed one shock so far.
Congrats, CJP .. but you should have also added the Major ICE upgrade you did on this early on

Last edited by condor : 4th March 2021 at 16:52.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 17:00   #47
CJP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Congrats, CJP .. but you should have also added the Major ICE upgrade you did on this early on
Thanks @Condor; the ICE upgrade is https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...my-innova.html (ICE'ing my Innova)

The only change is a subwoofer upgrade to IDMAX 12" don't remember when. Still going strong!

Last edited by CJP : 4th March 2021 at 17:02. Reason: missing hyperlink
CJP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 18:15   #48
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwapnilNalavade View Post
Make : Peugeot

Ours was the 1st GLD to be delivered. We used it for more than 15 Years & had clocked close to 5.5 Lac Kms in it. It was a gem of a car with Superb Suspension & a Highly Fuel Efficient Engine.
Absolutely. I have never seen a car with a better suspension than Peugeot.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 19:51   #49
BHPian

Our 2004 Elantra CRDi has run somewhere around 2,50,000kms in it's 16 years of life. Not sure of the exact number, because for some reason the odometer got reset when it was getting serviced. I've grown up with it - from being a little kid who chose the pretty blue Hyundai over the black Skoda, to reading the Team-BHP threads about the people who were modifying it(https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...red-peted.html (Maverick's Silent Assassin - Hyundai Elantra CRDi! Edit: Now Filtered and Pete'd), https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ntra-crdi.html (Boosted Elantra CRDI!)) and hoping to one day be able to drive the magnificent beast, to using it as my car when I was in college(and getting upset when I found out my beginner driving style wore out the suspension ), to finishing college and now (hopefully) teaching my sister how to drive with it.

The 200,000 km hall of fame | Pics & experiences with your 2 lakh km car-inkedimg_20190328_115416_li-copy-2.jpg

Here she is, at the beach resort we went to for our college farewell. On this day I noticed that it was running a little louder than before, but I didn't know that the coolant levels were extremely low, and certainly didn't expect that one of the coolant pipes was going to pop the very next day. I'm glad it didn't break down when we were roaming the highways in the middle of the night. Speaking of breakdowns, it has strangely, never happened before *touch wood* - even when the coolant pipe developed a leak, I was afraid I'd have to get it towed back, but I filled it with water and it was good to go for the 30km ride back home. Similar story when the hydraulic power steering pipe developed a leak, it was harder to drive, but it did reach the service station under it's own power. Unlike our Vento, which threatened to conk out by the side of the road just 4 years in, when a small plastic ABS sensor failed.

The 200,000 km hall of fame | Pics & experiences with your 2 lakh km car-img_20190407_153105-copy_li-2.jpg

This is a photo I actually took sometime in late 2019, but this is exactly how I'd parked on a hot summer afternoon in 2016, the first time I went to a movie with college friends. She hasn't aged a bit.

The only major repair work carried out was getting the driveshaft serviced, which I did this week, other than that it's just been the usual getting the suspension overhauled, battery changes, etc. Cabbies don't believe me when I say this, but it's still on it's original clutch!

It was very hard to find a car to replace it(and honestly we still haven't found a suitable replacement) because even though it came out in 2004, it came with all-wheel discs, coil suspension for both the front and rear, 2 airbags, ABS, TCS (and I believe stability control as well, although I'm not sure), and a 5-star NHTSA safety rating. It's a big car, I've been able to coerce 7-8 people to be seated inside for short rides within private areas, and the 60-40 split seats come in really handy when you're shifting houses. It has a phenomenal engine that truly comes alive after 120km/hr, and can cover 700kms of highway cruising in one full tank! The car is so solidly built that it does feel like if a wall gets in it's way, the wall gets taken down(related post - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...-strong-6.html ), and it even took a direct hit to the door from a Mercedes G63 AMG and merely got dented! Even the power windows were working immediately afterwards. I'm not sure how many modern cars the same can be said about. Eventually we settled for a Vento TSi Highline in 2016, but none of us consider it to be a replacement - despite costing more, it can't match the Elantra with regards to any of these attributes other than safety and straight-line performance.
rkv_2401 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 21:12   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu1058 View Post
I have a VW Polo 1.2 TDi, about to complete 2.1 lakh kms.
Have not owned a VW yet but for some inexplicable reason your post and the pics brought me joy!
Old 4th March 2021, 21:31   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkeerthi View Post
Have not owned a VW yet but for some inexplicable reason your post and the pics brought me joy!
Last year I had almost bought 1.5 TDI 2020 model but cancelled a day before the delivery date. It was very hard for me to let her go.
Old 4th March 2021, 21:46   #52
BHPian

Team-Bhp at its very best.Wonderful thread full of amazing and inspirational stories.Unfortunately,I have never owned a car which has done that kind of mileage.Maximum I have been able to manage is 1,55,000 kms in my swift diesel which we sold a few years back.Currently I’m driving a creta diesel automatic which is at 1,34,000 kms.I was planning to sell it next year but now having read some of the stories on this thread, I think I’ll push it to 2,00,000 kms.
Sahil_Gurgaon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 22:52   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Every time a VW comes up here, it gives me immense confidence. When I bought mine, ever service guys used to say that it lasts 1-1.5 lac kms only on the factory engine, probably even they were too new to see high mileage cars back then!
It was rather stupid of them to have claimed that. Skodas are extremely popular Taxis in most of Europe (Octavias are everywhere). I've seen specimen running 5L kms plus and look brand new! Engines are probably the most robust part of the car (what with needing to withstand a veritable bomb with every stroke!) and don't die easily if the cars are taken care of. Of course other factors come into play. Quality of fuel, how well the car is driven and maintained. Quality of your service provider. But the cars themselves can last lifetimes. Abused, even a Toyota would break down (eventually...although Toyotas' incredible resilience needs no mention- they withstand torture quite unimaginable for a machine).

Last edited by Annibaddh : 4th March 2021 at 23:17.
Annibaddh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 23:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

How can there be a thread on this without featuring the 8th Gen Honda Civic!

• 2007. Honda Civic 1.8

• The only picture I could find was when I'd just clocked 2,00,000 kms. The final odo reading was 2,51,000 kms.
The 200,000 km hall of fame | Pics & experiences with your 2 lakh km car-screenshot_20210304231558__01.jpg
• Major work done : None. Apart from the usual Civic Power steering niggles, the ownership experience was phenomenal.

• Had to finally say goodbye to her when she neared the 15 year mark, owing to Delhi NCR rules.

The 200,000 km hall of fame | Pics & experiences with your 2 lakh km car-screenshot_20210304232237__01__01.jpg
coolkurt is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 23:40   #55
BHPian

What a thread !!! Truly inspiring !!!

After having seen many CRDIs in this list, I couldn’t resist myself to post here inspite of not being eligible. Kindly excuse!

I own a 2010 HY i20 CRDI Sportz.

After having clocked more than 60K in the first 3 years, i couldn’t maintain that pace due to my work trips (for which i burned my companies $ ).

Currently the ODO stands at 1266xx and i do plan to see what happens to the diesel engines after their RC ends. I firmly believe in owning a car for a loooong term. And this thread reinforces my belief!!!

Major issues faced till date: Steering rack (at 75k), EPS motor and front suspensions (at 125k)
PassionateDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 23:53   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctYFAN View Post
Well why do I see a pattern here. Has anyone noticed that almost every car here is a diesel. This shows the reliability of diesels.
Please see this video

If one were to even half believe the conclusions of this video, the number of engine cycles contribute to longevity. Shorter the cycles, lesser the engine life. Ask any mechanic or canny used car dealer - high mileage cars that have spent a majority of their life on the highway are way better than average mileage cars used mostly in the city.

In the Indian context, if the running is high, diesel engine is the default choice. Hence, the 200K plus cars are all diesel, just because all those cars are sitting on the highway doing 300-400kms in a day. If one were to buy a petrol car and use it for long highway runs all the time, those cars will also easily last 200K kms. However, chances are that the owner will go broke a lot before that 200K kms appears on the odometer.
KiloAlpha is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 02:16   #57

We had a Maruti 800 3rd generation. We sold it I in believe 2006 with a mileage of around 198k. By the time we sold it it was bruised and battered and the clutch was shot (sold the car instead of replacing it) but only other major repair it had seen was radiator replacement after a front end collision. It did not make it to this list, but still thought about sharing it.
All our subsequent cars have gone beyond 150k km (Tata Indica and Tata Vista) and the latest one (TUV300) just went beyond 100k
Nemesis_q is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 07:27   #58
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Looks like my car is the only one to have swapped its engine, and definitely the only one on this thread with a third engine under the hood. Probable causes for the original engine to fail at 140,000 km:

- Poor quality by Mahindra

- Short (offroad) gearing means it is always at high rpm. At 80 - 90 kmph, the revs are already in the red zone. Higher the rpm, higher the wear & tear.

- Lots of offroading stress (used to 4x4 like crazy back then)

- Frequent overheating issues back then. Poor engineering by Mahindra meant the Jeep had a permanent overheating issue from the time it was new till 2004, when I got an aftermarket Lawrence radiator, new cowl, bigger fan etc. Truth is, the Jeep has performed better with after-market parts than OEM. The Jeep has also been more reliable with the 2.5L diesel than its factory-fitted 2.1L motor.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 08:18   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Lockdown/fuel price hike, does not matter- she does 45k kms religiously every year.
Ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous, I did not know this until now, all I knew is that you had a Verna at about the lakh km mark, but then I guess I didn't keep up with the updates.

Two lakh seventy thousand kms on stock clutch will be among the national records for sure, put the city with the most unpredictable, dense traffic in the nation into the equation and you're in absolute rare company. Hope you keep it for another 5 years and run the car into the ground, breaking all remaining records.

As for me, 45k kms per annum is video-game numbers, we barely do 8k annually and with that too I feel the strain, we've always sold the car at around the 50k mark if not much earlier so this is one thread I can never be a member of.

As for the other equally if not more impressive record holders, hope you all run your cars into the ground as well, no point selling a car that has crossed the 2L barrier, that's a marriage and better to see the marriage through until the very end.
dark.knight is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 09:00   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post

People sell the cars off for two reasons:

While with the diesels, they run daily, some of them run a few hundred kilometers per day, so, they end up crunching such numbers.
Yes that is totally true. When we go to our native in the weekends, the up and down itself takes around a 130 kms and then local running over there is also about 50-60 kms. So yes I think you are right. If I daily drove this car it would easily have more the 2 lac kms. But as my office is located at Chennai, the car is stopped during the week. But no one can argue on the mileage part. I once achieved 3.5l/100km or something around 28-29 kmpl on the highway with by cruising in 5th gear at 80 km/h. I even got a picture tho I am not able to find it. It was in August 2019 when we were heading to Kanyakumari.

But I bought this car used at 60k kms. But some here have done it after buying their cars brand new. I am impressed by your determination and passion to hold on to your car and your power to resist the urge to upgrade to something more modern. (For me the power comes from fuel prices). My next car will be a diesel or an EV. A used Tesla might fit in perfectly.

Cheers
OctYFAN
OctYFAN is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks