Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2021, 10:16   #31
BHPian

Re: February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic View Post
If Tata keeps up it's current growth trajectory, it will overtake Hyundai this time next year!!

They have a similarly broad portfolio (vs. Hyundai) with the only gap being between Nexon and Harrier, if they plug it with a Compact SUV (rivalling creta) and hopefully a Verna/City rivalling sedan, they should be all set.

Way to go
The gap between the Nexon and the Harrier can be filled by the Harrier itself. (at its right , corrected price)
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 10:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
The gap between the Nexon and the Harrier can be filled by the Harrier itself. (at its right , corrected price)
Not going to happen, obviously. There are are smaller cars that are priced well above Harrier (sales being dull notwithstanding). The 2000 odd customers buying Harrier every month very well know that size wise Harrier is in a different segment. If a company can make the same profit with 2000 cars instead of selling 4000 with lesser profit, why wouldn't they?

Besides, Tata has a Creta-rival planned anyway.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 10:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

I see a lot of Ertiga CNG variants on roads these days, might be the reason why its numbers are around 9000. Wish we had a breakup by Petrol/CNG variants.

One thing noteworthy is the Brezza, despite having just one 'boring' engine and ancient automatic transmission compared three different engines and two/three automatic transmission options, still sells about 11000 units. And its not like Hyundai/Kia have very less dealerships like Nissan.
Old 9th March 2021, 11:12   #34
BHPian

Good to see Maruti's share declining. They need that nudge to understand that customers are leaning towards safer cars. All repeat buyers of Maruti recently are not happy with the build and am sure that they would not be inclined to buy/recommend another Maruti if company continues with the same strategy. New Wagon R's dashboard is a joke with the panel flexing easily and that too in winters. Wondering how it would hold up in Delhi summers.

People are generally quite happy with their Hyundais and Kias. Don't see the quality issues discussed on this forum translating to people's confidence declining in any of these 2 brands.

Tatas are my favorite. They ONLY need a better quality control. THATS IT. But its easier said than done as quality is a culture that takes time to improve.

Sad sad sad to see Ford limping all the way. Why why why??

Last edited by Maverick Avi : 9th March 2021 at 11:14. Reason: Typos
Maverick Avi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 11:24   #35
BHPian

Quote:
If Tata keeps up it's current growth trajectory, it will overtake Hyundai this time next year!!
Too optimistic, but very difficult.
Hyundai's current portfolio is about 8 cars (Santro, Grandi10, i20, Aura, Verna, Venue, Creta, Elantra), not considering the slow-movers like Tuscon and Kona, where as Tata's is 6 (Tiago, Tigor, Altroz, Nexon, Harrier, Safari). Hyundai's retail outlet count stands at about 1700 pan-India, whereas Tata's count is 713. Translates into reach and penetration abilities Hyundai has.

Quote:
They have a similarly broad portfolio (vs. Hyundai) with the only gap being between Nexon and Harrier, if they plug it with a Compact SUV (rivalling creta) and hopefully a Verna/City rivalling sedan, they should be all set.
It's not just about slotting in another product between Nexon and Harrier to rival the Creta. Agreed, Creta brings in truckloads of volumes to Hyundai, but volume wise, Tata has minimal presence in the compact sedan space - Tigor (1939) vs Aura (4300).
Also, Altroz + Tigor (Hatchbacks) contributed 13K units, whereas Santro + i10 + i20 bought in 21K dispathes, i20 alone standing at sales numbering 10K.

Just the way we hope Hyundai closing in the gap with Maruti, and someday, racing part MSIL, we hope TML chasing Hyundai for 2nd spot.

Fact is, our industry's 3rd, 2nd and 1st spots have a huge difference of about 50% between them (MSIL at 1.4L + dispatches, Hyundai at 50K and TML at 27K). THis goes to prove that there's no real and healthy competition between the first 3 winners, atleast for now.

However, with M&M due to launch the refreshed Scorpio and XUV500, things will heat up between M&M and TML for the 3rd spot in near future, with KIA being an outlier here. Will be interesting to wait and watch out for this space.

However, atleast in the near future, we don't see a major change in the 1st and 2nd spots, with MSIL and Hyundai comfortably sitting on these titles, respectively.

Regards,
Jigar Shah

Last edited by jigar1791@gmail : 9th March 2021 at 11:34. Reason: Text was missing
jigar1791@gmail is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 12:08   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Swift is the go-to hatchback still , while it's just a 1.2 NA engine I happened to read how it was able to keep up with a Tiago JTP on a track. Goes on to show the Japanese engineering's unbelievable efficiency, less is more indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfinger View Post
Yes, definitely it can and why not?
With thin and lightweight sheet metal, lighter weight in its favor, it should be able to keep up with Tiago JTP.
A race track is not a straight road. It has corners too.

Light weight of the Swift will make it accelerate faster, but, it can't make it corner better, can it?
Sheel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 12:19   #37
BHPian

Hyundai, with the addition of Alcazar, can expect to add another 0.5 - 1.5% (~3000 cars per month) of the market share, which would make them in a really comfortable 2nd behind Maruti, and I don't think the 1st (or the 2nd) is going to be displaced anytime in the next few decades!!.

However, it is really worth noting the effort Tata is putting in to gain the 2nd spot. With Safari brought in, an easy 1% share can be grabbed which would get them into the double digits. But, all of this would be at the peril of the likes of XUV 500, Hector Plus, etc. All they need to do is just to improve the quality of their materials (Please don't misunderstand me, their platform and the structure are still one of the best out there, no doubt. I'm talking about plastics and other auxiliaries) and their finishing for the premium offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Avi View Post
Sad sad sad to see Ford limping all the way. Why why why??
Absolutely, and so is Honda! Very evident that Ford has only one "selling" car, EcoSport, which for me has dated looks and a facelift is well on the cards. Figo, which was one of the good selling hatchbacks has dropped significantly to lower 2 digits also warrants a good rethinking of their strategies (More expensive Kia Carnival sells much higher than Figo!!). Nowadays, I feel that people think as Hatchbacks = No (Other than Maruti/Hyundai) and SUV = Yes (For any maker).

A word on Honda - They have the best Petrol engine out there (arguably the best CVT transmission too). It really is not reflecting in their sales numbers. Bringing in a bit of premiumness and driver-friendly features (Which they "said" have been reserved for Civic) would definitely boost the sales as there is no other car in its class.
Old 9th March 2021, 13:12   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A race track is not a straight road. It has corners too.

Light weight of the Swift will make it accelerate faster, but, it can't make it corner better, can it?
According to this article - JTP accelerates faster, brakes better and has a higher top speed than the plain jane Swift 1.2! 82 Vs 112 BHP.

Yet throw them in a track and Swift is able to keep up just fine - Japanese engineering at work.

Link to article.

Link
Old 9th March 2021, 14:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
According to this article - JTP accelerates faster, brakes better and has a higher top speed than the plain jane Swift 1.2! 82 Vs 112 BHP.

Yet throw them in a track and Swift is able to keep up just fine - Japanese engineering at work.

Link to article.

Link
Yeah Japanese engineering at work shaving off close to 170 kg when compared to Tiago JTP.

There is a reason why we Indians are treated as third grade customers. We don't call a spade a spade. We are happy following the groups. We look for societal approval even for the cars we buy.

No surprise we have more Cretas and Seltoses running on roads than Harriers or Jeeps. We just reject everything safe. Look at the sales chart the leaders are the ones who are hell bent on selling us tin case. And the flop models are well engineered vehicles.
nibedk is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 15:47   #40
BHPian

FADA retail sales figures are out for this month and show the real picture,

February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fd.jpg

February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-fdl.jpg

Looks like the luxury segment is suffering a decline in sales.

Source & Credits: Rushlane.com
saikarthik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 17:15   #41
BHPian

Quote:
And you turned out to be just fine, A bunch of school children cannot put a car together in a factory as we all know, it sure must be engineers.

So please tell me how is a Swift keeping up with a more powerful vehicle with better power to weight ratio, sporty suspension, short gearing, better acceleration, better brakes... how? Black magic perhaps or engineering.
Yeah all hale and hearty. Alive and kicking. Not because of the engineering but rather because I am a defensive driver who has trained himself physically and mentally to follow all the rules and someone who believes that every ride and drive of his might be the last one.
  • I am still not sure as to what do you want to prove here. I don't drive Swift anymore.
  • I moved on to a Fiat Punto post that and have drove 1.1 L kms and its still on the original clutch, suspension and there has not been any other expenses other than the manufacturer recommended maintenance schedules.
  • My Swift had done 1.2 L kms in about 8 years and had its clutch changes twice, suspensions changed once, brake discs once, brake drums once and full body repainted one besides the regular maintenance.
  • Brake pads hardly lasted 25 K where as it lasts me 40 K in Fiat. The brake drums and discs were changed around 80 K where as the drums in Fiat lasted me 1 L kms and discs are yet to be changed. It was more of preventive maintenance rather unlike Swift.
  • Similar clutch was changed twice around 50 K first time and then again at 1.1 L in Swift. Suspension was changed around 80 K kms.
  • Almost all the original parts in Fiat is still intact inspite of being used as car for long trips unlike the Swift which was more of a city car

I am not a Fiat fan boy and my next car wont be a Jeep/Fiat. It would mostly be a Tata or a Mahindra.

Suzuki are the leaders in India and almost 50% of their worldwide sales comes from India. But India gets the worst engineered cars. The same Swift which is sold in Europe and elsewhere are rated better. Cost cutting can be seen everywhere. I have been to US twice for work and driven a range of cars from plain functional machines to luxury cars. Rode some of the best cars there and got hooked to Ford. Didn't know about Fiat much other than it owns Ferrari as well till I drove a Fiat 500. The reason I desist Suzuki is because being the leaders instead of showing the way they are doing the loyal customers a great disservice by giving under engineered cars. The same cars sold elsewhere have been proven to much safer.

Punto wasn't even my first choice. Fiesta, Linea and Punto were the top 3 contenders. Fiesta was dropped off from the list as it was the least selling one when I bought car and was on its way to be chopped off Ford's list in India. Linea was a little big for a family of 3 and hence I chose Punto.

Just because something sells well doesn't mean its the best out there. Its your money mate and you as a customer are free to put your money on any car you want. I will have no issue buying a Suzuki again if they can get cars like Kizashi and Vitara again. They would be back in my shopping list again. Till then they aren't worth my money.

Mods: Please move the message to the required if you feel this doesn't need to be discussed here.

Last edited by nibedk : 9th March 2021 at 17:17. Reason: Addition
nibedk is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 17:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

According to the data released by the Federation of Automobile Dealers Associations (FADA), vehicle registrations fell by 13.43% in February 2021. Overall sales stood at 14,99,036 units, compared to 17,31,628 units in February 2020.

February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

The passenger vehicle segment witnessed double-digit growth on low base of last year as India started transitioning from BS4 to BS6 emission norms. This coupled with the global semiconductor shortage kept the waiting period of PVs as high as 8 months.

February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

The 2-wheeler segment continued to see sluggish demand. Rising fuel prices have also put a dampener on sales.

February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg

In the CV segment, LCVs which saw good demand during the last few months has started to fall flat. As infrastructure activities have started increasing, demand for Tippers and HCVs is showing signs of revival.

February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-5.jpg

Meanwhile, the tractor segment continues to grow. Tractor sales increased by 18.89% to 61,351 units.

February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-6.jpg

2-wheeler sales decreased by 16.08% to 10,91,228 units compared to the same month previous year.

February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-7.jpg

3-wheeler sales were down by 49.65%. 33,319 units were sold compared to 66,177 units in February 2020.

February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-8.jpg

Passenger vehicle sales increased by 10.59%. 2,54,058 units were sold compared to 2,29,734 units in February 2020.

Commercial vehicle sales dropped by 29.53%. 59,020 units were sold in February 2020 compared to 83,751 units in the same month previous year.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 9th March 2021 at 17:23.
TusharK is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 09:05   #43
BHPian

One of the possible reasons could be the transition from BS4 to BS6.

Since there was a hard stop of retailing BS4 vehicles in March (pre lockdown regulation), lot of vehicles were dispatched (wholesale) to dealers in Feb and first half of Mar to ensure timely retail before 31st March.

The unusually high dispatches in Feb can be attributed to this logic. Considering Jan-Mar in 2020 & '21 could give a more realistic picture (with a disclaimer that Mar previous year had only 22 days of business)

Also please note the numbers reported above are dealer dispatches and not customer retails, hence customer demand cannot be ascertained purely on the numbers reported.

Coming to passenger vehicles, most manufacturers had started BS6 dispatches in the month of Jan itself (unlike 2, 3 wheelers & CVs), hence the skew for Passenger vehicles isn't unusual. I have little knowledge about tractor industry hence would refrain to comment.
slamnos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 11:30   #44
BHPian

Performance of Toyota badged Maruti Cars:
Toyota Glanza - 2743 units vs Maruti Baleno - 20,070 units - 10%
Toyota Urban Cruiser - 2549 units vs Maruti Vitara Brezza - 11585 units - 22%

This speaks volumes of the reach that Maruti has over Toyota. What does it bring to Toyota in this?

Glanza & Urban Cruiser - 5300 units sold from Toyota's total sale of 14000 units, which is 38% of the sales shows good dependency on the relationship with Maruti.

And money for dealerships is made through service which is good.

I feel Toyota needs to step up their game and sell more in comparison to their Maruti twins.

And what does it bring to the Toyota brand? I am pretty confused on the state of this live-in relationship.
Old 10th March 2021, 14:16   #45

Impressive numbers by Tata Motors for Harrier + Safari(read vehicles on same platform). It will do wonders for Tata Motors by helping it with a virtuous cycle of - Platform commonization that will lead to cost reduction that will lead to pricing power that in turn will lead to higher sales and so on.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed