Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 21:11   #61
BHPian

Re: Top selling diesel cars in February 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbix View Post
Why does the Bolero sell so much even in this day and age? Is it being snapped up by the government for their use?
Huge demand and fan base in rural and semi urban markets.
niteshbids is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 21:19   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbix View Post
Why does the Bolero sell so much even in this day and age? Is it being snapped up by the government for their use?
Have you seen the Bolero reviews on YouTube? A lot of people comment as it's their "Dream Car". No wonder why it sells.

The TUV 300 is a better Bolero. But I guess the "name" Bolero has a heft to it. Hence, I feel even the Scorpio and Bolero have a greater fan following than even the XUV 500, 300 and TUV 300. The acronym names just don't make it unless you are in a luxury segment where the alphabet defines your status.
Old 17th March 2021, 22:25   #63
BHPian

Shouldnt Innova be No.2? Or is there a typo in the sales numbers?

Quite interesting to see the difference in proportion of diesel sales (60% vs 38%) of Creta vs Seltos for what is basically the same engine.

Is it because Kia has more dealerships in metros were petrol is popular while diesel is more popular in Tier 2/3 towns where Hyundai is far more established?
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 22:31   #64
anb
BHPian

Surprising to see there is only SUVs and no hatchbacks. I was expecting to see slightly higher numbers for Altroz and i20 diesel as other suzuki diesel hatchbacks are discontinued.
Old 17th March 2021, 22:55   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
I am assuming these are vehicles dispatched by Toyota.

Toyota dispatched 6018 units of Innova in Feb 21. If 5886 diesel Innovas were dispatched, are we saying only 132 Petrol Innova were dispatched in Feb and I am one of those lucky owners?

While it finally feels like buying a car that sells in lower triple digits, this doesn't feel right. I went to the Toyota dealership 5 times during my purchase in Feb and saw almost 80% petrol Innova being sold every time. NCR has shifted to petrol heavily.

If I assume NCR even accounts for 15% of the overall Innova sales, this number should be a bit higher (around 500-700 mark at least). Also the dealerships didn't have any left-over stock from Jan as the car is under waiting and getting sold the moment it reaches the dealership.
sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 22:57   #66
Senior - BHPian

We all laughed at Suzuki as to how stupid it was not to have diesel in their portfolio. This report convinces me why Maruti is numero uno in India. If they can sell 10K copies of Ertiga and Brezza without diesel engine, it's a clear indication that market preference has changed or Suzuki has convinced the market, at least for cars costing less than 15lacs. In premium/UV category, diesel is still the preference, Maruti has zero presence here.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 23:30   #67
BHPian

MG sold ~3660 Hector & Hector+ in Feb 21. Yet it does not feature in top 10 diesel car sales list. Its petrol engine wasn't rated very highly in the reviews. I guess lack of diesel auto combination is hurting MG while its doing wonders for others, like Harrier twins, Korean twins etc.

My unscientific guess is except for Scorpio and Bolero, ~80% of sales figues in above list would be with Auto transmission.

Last edited by museycal : 17th March 2021 at 23:35.
Old 18th March 2021, 11:52   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
I am assuming these are vehicles dispatched by Toyota.

Toyota dispatched 6018 units of Innova in Feb 21. If 5886 diesel Innovas were dispatched, are we saying only 132 Petrol Innova were dispatched in Feb and I am one of those lucky owners?

While it finally feels like buying a car that sells in lower triple digits, this doesn't feel right. I went to the Toyota dealership 5 times during my purchase in Feb and saw almost 80% petrol Innova being sold every time. NCR has shifted to petrol heavily.

If I assume NCR even accounts for 15% of the overall Innova sales, this number should be a bit higher (around 500-700 mark at least). Also the dealerships didn't have any left-over stock from Jan as the car is under waiting and getting sold the moment it reaches the dealership.
There might be few more from earlier dispatch elsewhere but petrol Innova is slow seller. Even in Bangalore, where Toyota have their manufacturing unit, most dealers don't have petrol Innova in inventory. We cannot judge the numbers based on what we see on road or showroom, but i think factory dispatches is accurate. Just FYI, one of the showrooms in Bangalore hadn't sold Petrol Innova for months. I wouldn't be surprised is majority(or all) of those 132 Innova's are sold in NCR.
Old 18th March 2021, 14:23   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
One of the showrooms in Bangalore hadn't sold Petrol Innova for months.
Same is the case in Mumbai none of the dealer has sold a petrol Innova or Fortuner for sometime now, the one I had contacted told me one or two are sold in year if at all. Dealerships other than in Delhi NCR get a petrol Innova or fortuner only if someone has specifically ordered one.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised is majority(or all) of those 132 Innova's are sold in NCR.
The entire stock of petrol Innovas and Fortuners go to NCR Delhi, 132 petrol Innovas for the NCR region is believable. Also if we check the stock availability on Toyota’s website then it will always show stock for both Innova and Fortuner petrol in Delhi with almost all dealers.
Old 19th March 2021, 15:58   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Fuel Mix Sales OEM wise for February 2021 :

-Maruti Suzuki which is now a predominantly Petrol-only car manufacturer was the No.1 Petrol Car OEM and Mahindra emerged as the No.1 Diesel Car OEM for February 2021.

-Almost 22.6% of Hyundai's sold in Feb'21 had a diesel engine. Hyundai was also India's second-largest Diesel Car OEM. The diesel sales came primarily from the SUVs (Creta & Venue).

-Diesel models contributed to almost 42% of Kia India's volumes.

-Mahindra is still Diesel dependant and over 87% of its volumes came in from the Diesel models!

-Toyota's dependence on Diesel models has lowered over time and ~57% of its sales came from Diesel variants.( Maruti Suzuki effect)

-Even having an SUV-only portfolio; MG has significant sales coming from the Petrol variants!

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 1768
Size:  251.5 KB

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:46   #71
BHPian

Thanks to Autopunditz for sharing the data. Even though looking at a single month sales we cannot conclude anything, it still gives a lot of insights.

*Average Diesel sales of OEMs without counting Maruti stays at 37% which sounds inspiring and it shows their investment on BS6 Diesel was worth. Maruti data is manipulative since it can single handedly shift the scales due to the humongous volume, for reference Maruti sold close to 330K diesel cars in 2019 averaging 28-30K cars per month.

*Surprising petrol volume by Tata Nexon and MG Hector. MG sold only 700 Diesel Hector twins in Feb, whereas HARRIER twins did a crazy 3700 units. Hoping that Mahindra will come up with a Petrol AT option on all variants of new XUV, there is a lot of demand.

Last edited by TorqueIndia : 19th March 2021 at 16:50.
TorqueIndia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 13:53   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Fuel Split: OEM's share in Feb-21 sales

Mahindra was the No.1 OEM for Diesel Fuel type in Feb'20 - Here is how the split in fuel type across its portfolio.

- Only two models present in the Petrol fuel type in their portfolio, so a high diesel dependency is expected.

- With 13,445 volumes, Mahindra stands at 87% of Diesel fuel type sales.

- The petrol fuel type sales stood at a mere 13%.

February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

Maruti Suzuk: An all Petrol affair

- Also, it is currently not convinced by the readiness of the Indian market for EV car volume. MSIL continues to put its money on CNG and other Hybrid fuel types.

February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

Hyundai: Betting on diesels

- Almost 23% of its sales came from Diesel variants in Feb'21!

- Hyundai has had a high contribution to petrol at 77% penetration

February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st March 2021 at 13:54.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 07:09   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

KIA outperforms TATA's PV in terms of diesel vehicle sales.

- Kia has outperformed Tata Motors with a volume of 6,947 numbers against Tata Motors' volume of 5,922, even though Tata Motors had a volume of 27,224 against 16,702 of KIA's.

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 1367
Size:  180.1 KB

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 18:52   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors : Fuel split in Feb sales.

February 2021 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

Source: Auto Punditz
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:51   #75
S15
BANNED

How is the Venue selling more than the sonet?
Why is the venue selling more than the sonet?
And
Where are the venue sales going? Its been ages since I spotted a new one on the roads.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed