Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2021, 19:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
I have to politely disagree, It is definitely Maruti's fault and the blame lies with Hamamatsu HQ in Japan which is pushing the Indian entity into maximising profits in order to ensure the survival of the parent entity.

Squeeze the goose that is laying Suzuki Japan's golden eggs.
Agreed. And that is the role of any business owner - maximization of profits. At the first level.

But in order to meet that objective, one needs to cater to another aspect of the Indian psyche - desire for Japanese quality ONLY at Indian prices.

The management of Maruti should have pushed back but instead they took the decision to retain quality only at core levels - engine gearbox and key mechanicals.

Are the Japanese idiots to build in their level of quality into the parts made in Japan and charge 3-4 times the prices of the Indian equivalent? Are Indians such genuises that we can make the same part’s at 20% of the price?

Something has to give and this thread indicates all that will give. The quality of parts WILL remain poor.

I have first hand knowledge of a single owner 2000 Baleno that still retains everything original even after 20 + years - including the original factory paint.

The S Cross 1.6 if built to original Japanese standards would have cost in excess of 20 lakhs. Maruti couldn’t sell it at 16!

It’s high time we realize our failings as a race where everything superficial appeals and nothing deep does. This is the reason that the Citroen SUV is bound to fail DESPITE being competent.

Don’t even speak of Mahindra - that is a another low rent company that steals IP and sells the stolen zero cost IP designs at throwaway prices to Jeep-Design-Starved-Indians who gulp it down hungrily because it is being sold at throwaway prices.

If the price of a car or the price of its spare parts are high it gains a reputation of being expensive to maintain. The Kizashi, Grand Vitara are outstanding cars but couldn’t last because of this aspect.

Lastly, this is what SKODA is doing with the Kushaq too - retaining quality of core mechanical components and compromising on external areas. In a few years, you will see a similar thread with Indians comparing the Indian built Kushaq to Skoda’s German models and talking of the poor quality - cracks in the gear shift lever, fabric coming off the doors and bad quality steering wheels.

When that happens, don’t blame Skoda, blame yourself for demanding low rent stuff and not willing to pay for quality.

As in this case too, don’t blame Maruti, blame yourself for not being willing to pay for Japanese quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem View Post
Being from one of Tier1 suppliers to OEMs, i happen to know a bit about purchase departments of various manufacturers.

Being a vendor for MSIL models is a dream for most suppliers. over 20k sales/month for top selling models to consistent 4-5k orders is something which can supplement a complete manufacturing unit at tier 1 levels.

but here is the catch, one needs to 'see' the right persons to ensure that business.. and there are costs involved in such 'out of box' deals.

costs involved in finalizing business will definitely be levied by vendor by reducing his Raw Material Cost and Process Cost.
Thank you for that confirmation!

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th March 2021 at 11:37. Reason: Bold fonts removed, formatted
AMG Power is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 20:22   #17
BHPian

I've a WagonR whose gear knob started chipping off after about 3 years till it was left to this. The top got dislodged after sometime leaving the gooey dried up glue on top.

Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!-img20210308201345.jpg

The base rubber/plastic compound for the grip is not of good quality and turns sticky and brittle too early.
jothishX is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 20:30   #18
BHPian

I have been in the Auto Industry for close to 20 years and worked across suppliers and OEMs. First thing I guess all need to understand is that quality of parts sometimes suffers across batches but do not qualify to the level of a recall or service campaign or as is the norm in India of "silent recall". So, it is a bit premature to comment about the issues raised in the thread without sufficient data. I am sure if Suzuki knew it was a rampant problem ( and knowing their penchant for parts sharing across models), the aforementioned problems would have definitely been captured via field problem reports.
Also I am no expert of the interior domain, but since the same Baleno interior goes to Japan and Europe as well, I don't think the problem would not be addressed at least for those markets.

And yes, Suzuki interiors cannot be compared with a Hyundai interior (Hyundai is miles ahead). That is the reason why I went for a Hyundai for my India ride!!!
Carma2017 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 10:16   #19
BHPian

Industrial grade glues loses its adhesive property when they are exposed to higher temperatures (>60 degrees) for longer duration. for mediocre grade ones this temperature limit is lower.

Parking your ride in sunlight for months has its effect to this. losing adhesive property is a slow process. 3-5 years of exposure to sunlight will definitely show how good the raw materials used are.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th March 2021 at 10:44. Reason: Please start your sentences with capital letters.
Leem is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 12:45   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have different experience. I have Ertiga (Vdi) for last 4.5 years which has done more than 50K and I don't find any such issues till date. All interiors is holding up well and I am sure it will go long way. In fact steering and other parts are in really good condition and looks like new after latest interior cleaning done along with servicing. Will post photos soon. Second car is Dzire (1st gen) which 11+ years old now and apart from normal wear and tear, all is good.
aniketi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 14:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post

I have first hand knowledge of a single owner 2000 Baleno that still retains everything original even after 20 + years - including the original factory paint.

The S Cross 1.6 if built to original Japanese standards would have cost in excess of 20 lakhs. Maruti couldn’t sell it at 16!

If the price of a car or the price of its spare parts are high it gains a reputation of being expensive to maintain. The Kizashi, Grand Vitara are outstanding cars but couldn’t last because of this aspect.

As in this case too, don’t blame Maruti, blame yourself for not being willing to pay for Japanese quality.

Thank you for that confirmation!

100 % agree with your post. Indian car buyer has rejected each and every real Japanese quality Suzuki product launched here by simply saying " over priced for a Maruti"/ "expensive to maintain". Our country is full of people who wants to have everything from a product but not willing to pay up for the quality stuff. How many people in India will pay up for quality unbiased journalism? 99.9% will be happy with free news and don't care about whether it is real or fake news.

Here is my 2003 Suzuki Baleno Altura- 18 years old: Quality of parts and the car in general is at least 2-3 times better than current crop of Maruti cars. Even after 18 years , every electronic component still works flawlessly- all power window components, electric OVRM controls, console switches, air conditioning working as it should be. Car is still on original factory paint and alloys [with missing alloys caps though]. It has independent rear suspension and ride quality/handling is excellent

My car was selling for 8-9 lakh in 2003. Only a handful of people bought this car [same case with First generation baleno sedan - pre 2004 cars, Kizashi and Grand Vitara]. In today's market it will be close to 16-20 lakh rupees {inflation adjusted} of money for a relatively small sized car. But those bought the above mentioned cars got exactly what they paid for - QUALITY product inside out.
Attached Thumbnails
Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!-1.jpeg  

Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!-2.jpeg  

Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!-3.jpeg  

Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!-4.jpeg  

DrANTO is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 15:09   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANTO View Post

My car was selling for 8-9 lakh in 2003. Only a handful of people bought this car [same case with First generation baleno sedan - pre 2004 cars, Kizashi and Grand Vitara]. In today's market it will be close to 16-20 lakh rupees {inflation adjusted} of money for a relatively small sized car. But those bought the above mentioned cars got exactly what they paid for - QUALITY product inside out.
That's a lovely Baleno Station Wagon you got there. This variant of Baleno was a unicorn even in its heyday. I saw only two of these ever. And, not in my town. Pity, station wagons never appealed to us Indians. They are mighty practical.
pgsagar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 16:01   #23
BHPian

I had and having a very different experience in comparison to many who have posted here.

I had Swift VDI 2010 Model for 9 years (~80000 Kms) and there was not a single chipping of leather, gear knob or AC vent. When car was sold, interiors were as good as new. There were no rattles either apart from suspension noise which I decided not to fix as I was about to sell the car.

We also have 2018 Baleno Zeta CVT and interiors have not seen any issue either apart from front cup holder.
Mountainman21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2021, 16:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainman21 View Post
I had and having a very different experience in comparison to many who have posted here.

I had Swift VDI 2010 Model for 9 years (~80000 Kms) and there was not a single chipping of leather, gear knob or AC vent. When car was sold, interiors were as good as new. There were no rattles either apart from suspension noise which I decided not to fix as I was about to sell the car.

We also have 2018 Baleno Zeta CVT and interiors have not seen any issue either apart from front cup holder.
Exactly same experience here. I had brought used F10D WagonR in 2005 (2001 model) and sold it in 2012. Till I sold that car, I had zero rattles and I had not seen/experienced any other quality related issues listed in this thread. May be, the quality of the interiors have deteriorated so much since those days?
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 09:52   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainman21 View Post

Similar experience here. Had wagon r for 10 years and a 5 year old Baleno. No case of leather chipping off or fabric peeling. Yes, the wagon r had some rattles but the Baleno has been rattle free till now.
Old 10th March 2021, 10:04   #26
Senior - BHPian

The OP has made a point on their 'premium' offerings but I would like to share my experience with the regular stable.
We had bought a previous gen Maruti Swift(<2011) and some time later bought the next gen Swift. I can state without a shadow of a doubt the later revision model was compromised in not just fit and finish but also handling characteristics, both of which the Maruti service center people vehemently denied.

The vehicles are now ~10 years and ~8 years old respectively and I am very very firm on no longer going Maruti for my next car... regardless of their indepth service network and often mentioned low cost of ownership.
Maky is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 10:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
But other than that, I can see that their parts 10 years ago were better than the ones today. I felt the same comparing the F10D Wagon-R to the K10 Wagon-R as well. Though the design looked better, the hard plastics in F10D of my friends car seemed to stay put better. That is some intense quality deterioration over the years.
You are spot in with your observation. I recently bought a Wagon R and its plastic quality specially the dashboard is the worst I have seen in any car till date. You can easily press it and it flexes by a great margin. Other bits are also not well put together with dashboard creaking at merely 700 kms on ODO. The only thing that makes me forget these bits is the K12M.
Maverick Avi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 10:35   #28
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
That's a lovely Baleno Station Wagon you got there. This variant of Baleno was a unicorn even in its heyday. I saw only two of these ever. And, not in my town. Pity, station wagons never appealed to us Indians. They are mighty practical.
On the contrary, I believe that Indians love the practicality offered by station-wagons and have consistently voted for the same with their wallets. The sales of Triber/Ertiga/XL6/Innova are a testament to the same. I agree that calling the Innova a station-wagon might be a stretch but the others (especially the XL6) are more or less station-wagons.
sierrabravo98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 10:38   #29
BHPian

I would rather argue in the opposite direction, I feel that the quality of the interior has increased in the recent years and facelifted versions. I bought a facelifted version of the Ciaz in Feb 2019 and was pleasantly surprised to see that quality that of the interior was a massive jump over the other Maruti-Suzuki cars that I have owned over the years.

While rattles are yet a common problem even in the Ciaz, overall I would say that Maruti has really improved their ways. I would agree to the fact that Maruti yet has a long-way to go when compared to the competitors, but for once I'm quite satisfied with how Maruti has changed their ways.

On the other hand, how the quality of an interior holds up over the years is also dependent on how and how much is car used. Interiors sometimes get the most amount of abuse since that is where we are day in and day out. The positive that in this situation is that if wear and tear of the interior were to happen, I would prefer it to happen on my Maruti as it is way cheaper to fix.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2021, 10:43   #30
BANNED

A similar issue was faced by me for the gear knob where it was broken in pieces , due to which I got it replaced with the gear knob from Ciaz.

I do not have a picture right now, but I can update it here once I will be back home.

Last edited by Aditya : 31st July 2023 at 06:05. Reason: Typos
pd_scorpio is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction

Most Viewed