Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2021, 16:31   #121
BHPian

Re: Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!

Fascinating thread! I hope MS folks take something from it, in terms of the quality the current car owners are aspiring, and getting from some peer brands.
I'm going to be a part of the minority here in this thread and say that I haven't seen any actual deterioration in the interiors of our Baleno from 2018. I want to be specifically clear that there is absolutely nothing inside the car that even whispers, forget screams, premium. I have issues with the quality of material in terms of feel, and exterior build all of which is valid and likely related issues. But I haven't seen anything fraying, peeling or cracking. I also happen to be one of those fortunate ones who can park indoors. I guess exposure to sun has a lot to do with what I'm seeing or not seeing with the car.
My two cents.
Gaboonviper04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2021, 19:12   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Yes, the gear knob for S-Cross 1.6 is imported and priced super high.
Usually some SGP parts which are Made in Japan are expensive ! Most of the other gear knobs made in India are quite reasonably priced as they are made in huge quantities and used across the range.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2021, 10:54   #123
BHPian

Although I have not faced any issue on my 5.5 year old Baleno. However, recently on two separate occasions, my car was parked in hot sun (usually it stays inside the basement parking), and when I went and touched the gear knob, it was all sticky. I had to take a cloth and wipe it just so that I can use it again. My other Ford Ikon which is 16 years old now has no such issues at all.
puneetakhouri is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2021, 22:54   #124
BANNED

It seems like common issue with Balenos, according the comments there. Any Baleno owners here had the same issue or seen one?

Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!-img20210619wa0000.jpg

Source
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2021, 14:22   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Well I don't have much grouse with interior quality of Maruti cars, they haven't yet failed so badly yet(except minor rattles in the first few months of ownership which left a bad taste), but I recently measured paint depth of original panels of my 21 year old Maruti 800 and ~11 months old XL6 which is Ceramic coated, the results truly shocked me:

XL6's paint thickness with Ceramic coat:

Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!-20210620_132402.jpg

800s 21 year old paint with simple wax on:

Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!-20210620_132432.jpg

Proves beyond doubt that MSIL is resorting to extreme cost cutting. So existence of this thread isn't surprising.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 12:49   #126
BHPian

I have a Ciaz VXi 2015 model. Apart from replacing a rear AC ventilator, I have no complaints. Having said that, if I compare the quality of interior plastics now, with respect to my 2001 Baleno, Baleno scores way high!
Old 26th July 2021, 23:58   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Replaced the driver side AC vent in S-Cross. The sliding knob was broken, need to change the entire vent. Part is not very expensive though.

Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!-img_20210716_172403__01.jpg

Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!-img_20210716_172618.jpg
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2021, 00:30   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
but I recently measured paint depth of original panels of my 21 year old Maruti 800 and ~11 months old XL6 which is Ceramic coated, the results truly shocked me:
Perhaps not an ideal comparison. The old car will need a thicker coat of primer to achieve a satisfactory paint finish. Tool and die making has improved, it needs less coats to achieve the same finish now.

I do not doubt the durability of the old paint or the body work itself (I'm alive) but the finish of new body work is a lot better.
Kosfactor is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 15:04   #129
BHPian

This is not about the interior part. Have a Ertiga zxi 2019 Feb manufactured vehicle. See the attached picture for the rust formation. This is unbelievable. I do not wash the car very often and I am not from coastal area.
Attached Thumbnails
Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!-918bf0aac5534328815fd09f705a824a.jpeg  

blorebuddy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 16:22   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
This is not about the interior part. Have a Ertiga zxi 2019 Feb manufactured vehicle. See the attached picture for the rust formation. This is unbelievable. I do not wash the car very often and I am not from coastal area.
My 2017 Baleno had quite a lot of rust underneath. I bought few metal coat spray and 3M silencer coat and done it at a local water wash shop. I request other others to check your car underbody as well.

Since it was sprayed by myself, it was not perfect but something is better than nothing. Also 3M charges quite a lot more.
amvj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 12:04   #131
BHPian

Few months ago, I was shocked when I tried opening my Celerio's driver's side door and the handle just disintegrated, It was like multiple fractures on the handle.
Thankfully the replacement is cheap.

My Celerio has also free rattles and a annoying ringing sound when I start the AC. Yet to visit the service center for now
Attached Thumbnails
Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!-croppedimage.png  

dr_TJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 13:58   #132
Senior - BHPian

It's actually smart thinking by Suzuki India, higher quality plastic components will mean reduced margins, higher prices, increased weight etc..

On the other hand cheapest components means lower prices, better margins etc.. Plus increased spares sales as customers regularly replace parts.

MSIL shareholders must be extremely happy with this business model, the company knows what they are doing.
shortbread is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 16:23   #133
Senior - BHPian

Didn’t expect to join this thread so soon.

Here’s our 5 year old Ciaz, mostly parked under shade. Two doorpads suffer the same fate! Pathetic.

Deteriorating quality of interior parts in Maruti-Suzuki cars!-5eb2a34173324d7c9aa9176895af7369.jpeg
DRIV3R is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 07:18   #134
BHPian

Had bought an early Baleno 1.2 Zeta (Oct15) and am using it till date.(85k kms) The car shares the garage with a 2013 Astar AT.

The plastic parts that has failed me on the baleno.

Door Pad Trim Fabric ( Action taken: Removed all 4 door trim Fabric)
Cabin Light (Replaced by myself)
Gear Shift Knob (Replaced by myself)
Vanity Mirror cover hinge broken: (Left it as it is)
Radio Knob Cap Falls off : (Super Glued it)

So it's evident that these are really common issues.

There are couple of positives : There is not a single rattle in the cabin. The parts replaced were quite cheap and easy to replace.

However, note that the plastics in my AStar, feels much more solid in comparison. (Only had a cracked radio knob).

Really hope that Maruti Suzuki is listening and do something about the quality of plastic parts in the future. And Naren do keep us posted if you get any first hand info about Maruti coming forward to support customers beyond warranty period regarding these common issues, at least the door trim part.
sureshkishore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 07:23   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

My father in law's Alto 800 is just over 2 years old and at around 6K kms. The AC fan blower knob went kaput a month back, would work only at no. 4 setting. Got it replaced for around Rs.150 plus labour charges.

My Wagon R is of 2012, has run over 55K kms. There are some rattles here and there but overall it's fine.

No doubts the quality has gone down the drain for recent vehicle from Maruti across all model lines.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks