Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2021, 13:50   #16
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Ford Territory to be launched in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post
Let me break it to y’all — this Ford Territory is a rebadged Yusheng 330 underneath. It even looks like a Chinese car from the rear ¾.

That said, I wouldn’t buy a Territory for Harrier money. The starting price of the Philippines model amounts to 19 lakh INR — at that price, this car would be a massive fail.
Actually from the reviews at least the car seems quite competent. The car is well built, competent motor and well equipped. Harrier for all it offers has its share of niggles and Tata's short-comings have not all gone away (I say this even as I stay heavily invested in the stock). Here's a review I quite liked for its simplicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_lowrider View Post
Is this sold in any RHD markets? I'm not sure it is.Would the engineering and retooling to convert it to RHD be viable at all for Ford India?
They have a Territory in Malaysia Thailand and I believe also in Australia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirumalavoleti View Post
Very competent product and much needed for Ford india.

Wish this should come true with the same build qaulity as that of ecosport and equipped with 6 air bags
I have to back you up on the build of the Ecosport. I found it noticeably superior to even VW. Panels were not tinny, doors heavy to shut and overall the materials just felt more long lasting even if interiors weren't particularly plush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdrive View Post
If this news is true, this would be the next SUV after Skoda Kushaq that is going to generate a lot of interest this year. Expecting this to compete Jeep Compass and Aircross range.
I agree. If they do bring in this in limited quantities CBU I see this slotting in between say a T-Roc and Karoq in terms of pricing though.
Annibaddh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th March 2021, 06:56   #17
BHPian

I think Ford should bring the global-spec Fiesta to India under the homologation exception rule. There is no denying the fact that the demand for mid-size and compact SUVs is at its peak right now but what about a premium hatchback like the Fiesta straight from the Cologne plant in Germany? Wouldn't it appeal to enthusiasts? Look at the quick selling out of CBUs of Volkswagen T-Roc (agreed it's an SUV). A CBU of the Fiesta can be priced 6-7 lakhs cheaper than the T-Roc and will be much more affordable than the Focus (rumoured to be launched in India). Ford India wouldn't be looking at large sales volume since only 2500 units would be brought annually under the homologation exception rule. They should consider the Fiesta ST line including their latest mild hybrid version though my personal choice will be the 1.0L 125PS Ecoboost engine!!!
Old 19th March 2021, 22:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
Meanwhile owners (myself included) of the first batch of Ford EcoSport waiting for a car to upgrade to from the ford stable:
After 1.5L kms and a long wait, finally sold my beloved ecosport without a car from ford stables. Stuck between the jeep compass and the skoda kushaq, choice of what the heart wants vs vfm.
really feel ford missed the bus, the kuga would have been enthusiastically welcomed
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Ford Territory to be launched in India-ford-kuga-uk-202013.jpg  

Gizmokid is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 20:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford Territory in India!!! Woohoo!!!
And I was quickly brought back to earth when it was said that this was just some chinese stuff with a Ford badge, just like the Equator in another thread.

Pray that with Ford breaking off all their deals with Mahindra, doesn't mean they are going to bring rebadged chinese stuff here.

Also in online comments from the Filipino markets, the initial gleam and long features turn hollow as the Territory is unreliable and problematic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
They have a Territory in Malaysia Thailand and I believe also in Australia.
The OG Territory is Australian. Based on the venerable Falcon platform. A few made it to the Thai market via some free trade agreement. Malaysia? Not so sure.

Chances of the chinese Territory/Equator not coming to India is that RHD versions are yet to be developed. It would be more sensible for Ford to bring products from Ford Europe instead. Afterall they have to sell the RHD versions in more markets than just UK and Australia.

Though the fact that the European Ford crossovers are too curvy and soft looking plus the high costs maybe pushing Ford to the new projects.

Last edited by DicKy : 26th March 2021 at 20:17.
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 11:23   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Agree with you, the only sensible option to upgrade from Ecosport is Jeep Compass. This ticks most of the boxes but is too expensive for what it offers.
True that. After driving the ecosport, it's hard to convince myself on the Korean / jap build quality and I tried hard to sell myself the Kushaq. The Kushaq is going age quite quickly, and I finally stretched myself and going for the Compass

Last edited by Gizmokid : 28th March 2021 at 11:25.
Gizmokid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2021, 12:01   #21
BHPian

Here is a review of Ford Territory from an auto reviewer in Philippines. .

The Reviewer keeps switching between English and his local language or mother tongue quite often, so often that some sentences we don't understand despite having English words embedded in them. He appreciates the presence of android auto and wireless charger and calls this car as highly practical. Also video has limited review on ride and handling but more on interior and exterior features. Nevertheless helps one to get to know this car better. The mileage figures quoted were abysmal, around 7-8 kmpl in city.
cs_rajesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2021, 13:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this car in person (outside of India). Its nowhere near the Harrier in size. Its comparable in size to the Ertiga I suppose. Think of it as a slightly longer and wider Ecosport. I'm not sure it can compete in the same range as the Harrier. It looks good though.
longhorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th March 2021, 14:16   #23
BHPian

This is good news. Ford Ecosport in my mind is the gold standard for small SUVs - good ride and handling, solidly built, backed with safety features like 6 airbags all priced at a decent range. If they can bring a capable 7 seater priced to compete with the Safari and Innova its a good thing for the Indian market. However, if it is just a rebadged Chinese car then its a disappointment for sure. And a 5 seater in a market that is flush with 5 seat c-suvs is bound to fail. Further, cars made for the Asian market will cut corners when it comes to India.

Last edited by sentra26 : 30th March 2021 at 14:19.
sentra26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 09:00   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

New Ford C-SUV could be based on Territory crossover.

Quote:
-Ford to go ahead with development of new C-SUV despite split with Mahindra
-Ford Territory is a seven-seat SUV made for developing markets including Brazil
-Territory platform larger than the Mahindra’s W601, which will underpin the XUV700
-2.0-litre diesel engine could be mainstay of the range

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 12:39   #25
Senior - BHPian

Is the Territory actually bigger than the new XUV700? The pictures seem to indicate that this is just about the size of the Creta or maybe slightly bigger.
I was always guessing that if and when the territory comes to India it would compete with the Creta.
Or am I wrong? Is this actually a much bigger car, more like the XUV500 or XUV700?
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 14:24   #26
BHPian

Going through the posts over can make for some reading. The aspect about it being a rebadged Chinese SUV, the loss of faith in Ford for not going through with the Mahindra JV, etc.

Just how much Chinese is it? From the Philippine review that’s posted it apparent that the heart i.e. the engine is all Ford (Ecoboost), the interiors and the ICE are all Ford, the suspension & handling have Ford DNA. On the other hand just how much is Maruti Suzuki a Japanese or Tata a Indian with a Fiat designed heart and in some cases even the complete engine is supplied by Fiat.

This seems to be a very competent car with Ford badge, heart and DNA. Will I give it serious consideration, maybe no. But that’s not due to it being ‘Chinese’, or loss of faith in Ford. I just dislike SUVs in general. I would definitely consider a similar Ford sedan to upgrade from my Global Fiesta.

P.s. Still keep my figures crossed the Ford will launch the Focus ST.
PratikPatel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 15:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
The pictures seem to indicate that this is just about the size of the Creta or maybe slightly bigger.
Believe it or not, this is actually pretty similar in size to the Harrier, infact it is wider than the already wide Harrier. The pictures do make it look smaller.

Territory
Rumour: Ford Territory to be launched in India-territory.png

Harrier
Rumour: Ford Territory to be launched in India-harrier.png

Last edited by TaurusSHO : 8th May 2021 at 15:51.
TaurusSHO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 15:48   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
New Ford C-SUV could be based on Territory crossover.
Inevitable, but still hoped it wouldn't happen.

Personally, IMH(stupid)O, the Territory is just a rebadged chinese JMC vehicle. No matter how Ford would like to sugarcoat that it was co-developed with Ford Australia. It shares nothing with other Fords except the badge. From the Filipino reviews atleast, it's shown as a very soft riding crossover with a super easy steering. Looks like the perfect car for people who like the Hector, but don't want an MG badge. Add to that the comments below the YouTube videos shows its all bling and has serious reliability issues.

From Ford's POV- Have to do it with least cost. Last shot. Mahindra didn't work out. Ford Europe platforms would be too expensive for the stupid Indian market. The JMC platform looks good enough. They are anyway going gaga over the Hector and the Korean twins. Just give them bright bodywork, huge ass screens and panoramic sunroof. A long list of features including ventilated seats. Done.

Hope against hope- They had already freezed the tophat styling. Which I guess is the one we saw with the covers exposed to see the front left quarters. They just need the platform to base it on, which doesn't seem bad. Does atleast have independent rear suspension. Since the chinese Territory is only LHD, maybe take the RHD conversion opportunity to make it close to the global Ford design. The engines will definitely be Ford's own, unlike the mitsubishi origin JMC ones in the Territory. Ford Australia could very well dial in the Fordiness to the product, even the engineers at Ford India are capable. Just look at the Freestyle.

That said. Have a feeling that people who are looking for a bigger Ecosport will be disappointed. People looking at a Hector like comfy feature rich cruiser will be happy.

Last edited by DicKy : 8th May 2021 at 15:50.
DicKy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 19:39   #29
BHPian

This seems to be a real 'red ocean territory. I really hope that Indian manufacturers focus a bit on other car body types as well!

Really have my hopes lined up on this car for Ford though! If they execute it as well as the Endeavour, Fiesta or even the EcoSport, I'm sure that the car will be a direct success. Legend has it that when Ford puts their mind to something, they really do it well!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 06:33   #30
BHPian

Hope Ford isn't going down the route GM took in India, re-badged Chinese cars have poor reputation generally.
They need to be really careful, the failed Mahindra marriage and related rumours have hurt their reputation enough.
I would be disappointed if Ford fails in India. They do have the capability to take on the Suzuki's, Hyundai's and Kia's of the world. If they fail, it would be the car buyers who lose out the most.
Rather than a half baked attempt to nibble on a small share out of a crowded market, think they should bring out a product that creates the market, just like what they did with the Ecosport.

Most Viewed