Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2021, 01:28   #1
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport SE variant dealer dispatches begin; no tailgate-mounted spare

Rumour: I went for a test drive of the Ford Ecosport today for a cousin and the SA said Ford is bringing the Territory to India within the next few months. The model sold in SE Asia is actually quite a capable model and would slot into the Harrier range at ~4.6M long. It retails at ~18L starting in Philippines. This would surely be an incredibly capable car if the international model makes it here. Wonder if Ford will bring it via the CBU route to test out the waters!

https://www.ford.com.ph/suvs/territory/#

Last edited by GTO : 3rd April 2021 at 08:33. Reason: typo
Annibaddh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 14:48   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Ford Territory to be launched in India

Rumour: Ford Territory to be launched in India - Post copied to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 15:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
Rumour: I went for a test drive of the Ford Ecosport today for a cousin and the SA said Ford is bringing the Territory to India within the next few months. The model sold in SE Asia is actually quite a capable model and would slot into the Harrier range at ~4.6M long. It retails at ~18L starting in Philippines. This would surely be an incredibly capable car if the international model makes it here. Wonder if Ford will bring it via the CBI route to test out the waters!

Let me break it to y’all — this Ford Territory is a rebadged Yusheng 330 underneath. It even looks like a Chinese car from the rear ¾.

Before you start hating it right away — here is what I read up on carguide.ph —

Quote:
Bluntly, we had to ask: “what do you say to people who see the Ford Territory as a lazy-ass re-badge of a Chinese SUV?”

His (Ford Philippines’s managing director, PK Umashankar) answer, surprised even us.

“Ford has technology and manufacturing partnerships globally, and while the Territory is a product between us and our joint-venture partner Jiangling Motors in China, the design, development, engineering, testing, and drive assessment are all owned by Ford.

The design, for example, was done by Ford’s design studio in Melbourne, Australia; testing and validation was done in both Geelong Proving Grounds in Australia as well as in Nanjing, China; and the engine itself, is joint-developed by Ford of Europe and Jiangling Motors.

Ford is acting as a global conglomerate that accesses its capabilities across partnerships to deliver a product that can deliver on the customer expectations of any market.

We access our reach across our global partnerships in terms of manufacturing as well. Yes, the Territory is made in China, but it’s the same plant that currently makes the Philippine market EcoSport as well as the Everest and Transit for the Chinese domestic market.”

In short, Ford didn’t just randomly pick a JMC crossover and slap their own badge. This here is a properly engineered SUV; designed and engineered primarily for the Chinese market, sure, but it’s still a Ford through and through.
I think that Ford has too much going on right now. Buyers are not ready to trust the brand because of the JV failure and exit rumours. They also thought of experimenting with the Focus and Ranger for a while, but nothing came out of it.

That said, I wouldn’t buy a Territory for Harrier money. The starting price of the Philippines model amounts to 19 lakh INR — at that price, this car would be a massive fail.

Last edited by EightSix : 16th March 2021 at 15:31.
EightSix is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 15:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annibaddh View Post
Rumour: I went for a test drive of the Ford Ecosport today for a cousin and the SA said Ford is bringing the Territory to India within the next few months. The model sold in SE Asia is actually quite a capable model and would slot into the Harrier range at ~4.6M long. It retails at ~18L starting in Philippines. This would surely be an incredibly capable car if the international model makes it here. Wonder if Ford will bring it via the CBI route to test out the waters!

Could be. My friend's uncle bought an Endeavour in Jan this year. I was negotiating the deal on his behalf and I was complaining about lack of new cars in the Ford stable for me to upgrade. The SA did mention there is a new car that would be launched this year, he did say this will slot between EcoSport and Endeavour.
Hope the news is true.
speedmiester is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 15:47   #5
BHPian

So probably this is going to replace the XUV5OO based Mahindra-JV SUV which was originally planned before the JV broke.
The styling is neutral and doesn't look like it has the road presence to match the harrier. That 4 section headlamp is giving serious Legender vibes eventhough this was launched first.
Let's hope that Ford mates the engine to a torque converter and not to that Cvt if they're planning to launch this here!
JohaanTJ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 15:48   #6
BHPian

Meanwhile owners (myself included) of the first batch of Ford EcoSport waiting for a car to upgrade to from the ford stable:
Attached Thumbnails
Rumour: Ford Territory to be launched in India-images-5.jpeg  

Lowflyer23 is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 15:58   #7
BHPian

Is this sold in any RHD markets? I'm not sure it is.Would the engineering and retooling to convert it to RHD be viable at all for Ford India?

Last edited by da_lowrider : 16th March 2021 at 16:03. Reason: grammar
da_lowrider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 16:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
Meanwhile owners (myself included) of the first batch of Ford EcoSport waiting for a car to upgrade to from the ford stable:
Well you have waited long enough and must have amassed a lot of wealth enough to buy an Endeavour

Btw, that Ford Territory looks clean but very forgettable. The front end lacks character, that grille with the protruding bumper looks like mandibular prognathism (yes! I had to Google the term).

The only VERY desirable car from Ford right now is the Bronco.

Rest are just meh. The Fiesta won't sell either.
RavSam is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 16:47   #9
BHPian

Very competent product and much needed for Ford india.

Wish this should come true with the same build qaulity as that of ecosport and equipped with 6 air bags
tirumalavoleti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 16:59   #10
BHPian

There newer ranges have a really good market potential in India, but I really wonder why they struggle so expand their lineup.
And the long awaited Next gen Ecosport, the current gen has really stretched its lifespan and desperately needs an update
jayendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 17:01   #11
BHPian

Ford is working on a project code named BX772, unfortunately its been quite some time they are working on this. After all these M&M and Ford JV Fiasco, my trust with Ford has been considerably low. So I believe it when I see it in full flesh and bones !
Adam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 18:59   #12
BHPian

From my previous experience with Chevrolet SA, I would rather concretely believe it once the car is launched. With the current declining market share of Ford in India, their JV with Mahindra also being called off, they are having a high probability to stop selling cars in India in near future!
H0RSEPOWER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 22:31   #13
BHPian

If this news is true, this would be the next SUV after Skoda Kushaq that is going to generate a lot of interest this year. Expecting this to compete Jeep Compass and Aircross range.
firstdrive is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 11:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavSam View Post
Well you have waited long enough and must have amassed a lot of wealth enough to buy an Endeavour
If only your words were true mate 🥺. On a serious note though, people like me who are used to the handling and road manners of the EcoSport might not upgrade to the Endeavour even if the funds are in place. It's difficult adapting to road manners of a ladder on frame after driving a competent monocoque crossover for several years. Besides, my use case doesn't require a butch ladder frame SUV.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2021, 11:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
If only your words were true mate 🥺. On a serious note though, people like me who are used to the handling and road manners of the EcoSport might not upgrade to the Endeavour even if the funds are in place. It's difficult adapting to road manners of a ladder on frame after driving a competent monocoque crossover for several years. Besides, my use case doesn't require a butch ladder frame SUV.
Agree with you, the only sensible option to upgrade from Ecosport is Jeep Compass. This ticks most of the boxes but is too expensive for what it offers.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks