Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2021, 18:58   #1
BHPian

Automobile brand names that have become generic words

When a brand becomes hugely successful and popular, we have seen that the brand names sometimes become generic words. XEROX is one such example among many that springs up in the mind immediately. There are also instances of popular brand names becoming verbs. GOOGLE probably is the most famous in this category. Limiting my list only to automobiles, I have compiled a list of a few popular automobile brands that have become generic words in our country.

1. JCB
While excavators may not exactly come under the category of automobiles, it is rather a usual sight on highways these days. It has become quite common nowadays that most of the excavators/earth movers are called as JCBs, regardless of the brand actually they are. I am not sure about other places, but in my region, the excavators which ride on tyres are called JCBs, while the ones equipped with track chains are termed as HITACHIs! This is probably due to the fact that the excavators with track chains are of Tata Hitachi make commonly.

Automobile brand names that have become generic words-jcb.jpg

Automobile brand names that have become generic words-jcb1.jpg
Image source: TeamBHP post

Automobile brand names that have become generic words-tata-hitachi.png

2. TEMPO
Bajaj in collaboration with Tempo launched Matador in various guises in 1960s. The vehicle gained huge popularity, so popular that even today, small to medium capacity load/people carriers are generally called TEMPOs.

Automobile brand names that have become generic words-tempo1.jpg

Automobile brand names that have become generic words-tempo2.jpg
Image source: TeamBHP post

3. JEEP
JEEP is an American automobile brand which needs no further introduction. Mahindra collaborated with Jeep in late 1940s to manufacture a versatile utility vehicle, under Willys brand name. Although Mahindra severed ties with JEEP long back, even the present day Thar is generally called a Jeep. In fact, in our country, all the utilities vehicles across brands which resemble the the body style of the original Jeep are called so.

4. GYPSY
This might not be the most common generic word, but it is one. I have heard quite a few people using the word GYPSY to describe a heavily modified open top "Jeep" type vehicle.

5.SCOOTY
It is well known that Scooty is a brand of scooters from TVS motors. It has become a kind of trend among people that all the gearless scooters are generally termed as SCOOTIES nowadays.

BHPians, any additions to the list?
Emvi is offline   (78) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 19:09   #2
BANNED

Re: Automobile brand names that have become generic words

Awesome thread idea mate!

First one you have already taken, JCB. In fact, this was the first name that struck my mind.

If it's a backhoe loader, it's JCB, wow; what a brand recognition this invention has brought to the parent organization! We can see a JCB from every other brand these days. Be is Tata-Hitachi, L&T, JCB, Mahindra, Hyundai, Mitsubishi - they are all JCB

Similarly

Automobile brand names that have become generic words-volvo-bus.jpg

If it's a luxury bus, it's a Volvo, I have seen travel agents saying - Sir "Mercedes ki Volvo hai (Volvo of Mercedes)", or even Bharatbenz and multiple locally produced Volvos too are plying on our roads these days. You demand a 'Volvo' to a travel agent, and until you specify that you need "Volvo waali Volvo (Volvo bus from Volvo company)", you may get anything that is equipped with AC, air suspension and push back seats.

Just see what the Google itself has to say about this, look at the recommendations:

Automobile brand names that have become generic words-bb-volvo.jpg
Automobile brand names that have become generic words-tata-volvo.jpg
Automobile brand names that have become generic words-ashok-volvo.jpg

Automobile brand names that have become generic words-volvo-puller.jpg

Heavy duty puller? Yes, it's a Volvo, these days we have Scania, even some Tata Prima puller also for lighter loads, but if it's a puller, then it is called Volvo only.

Other than these three, I can't think of any other name that has become so much synonymous to a segment or the vehicle type itself altogether. Everything else is just about being substantial, but these three have become like these brands have the monopoly in their respective segments.

Last edited by VKumar : 16th March 2021 at 19:20.
VKumar is offline   (57) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 19:48   #3
BHPian

Any Moped = LUNA
Automobile brand names that have become generic words-lunatfrplus.jpeg

Not too relevant as Kinetic Luna and Mopeds in general are very seldom seen on India roads nowadays, but growing up mopeds from Hero (PUCH if i remember correctly), TVS and anything else were called LUNA.

Oh Also, All automatic scooters used to be called Scooty, which has now been replaced by Activa.
CoffeeBeans is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 19:57   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
If it's a luxury bus, it's a Volvo, I have seen travel agents saying - Sir "Mercedes ki Volvo hai (Volvo of Mercedes)", or even Bharatbenz and multiple locally produced Volvos too are plying on our roads these days.
True
In fact, not just luxury buses, anything that seems relatively plush is related to Volvo. I once saw an auto-rickshaw with colourful interiors (I guess you all can imagine what I am saying) which had Volvo branding on it
Emvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tempo traveller is another vehicle which has become an identity in itself. There are many vehicles of this class like Force, Tata, swaraj mazda and many other makes. All are just called tempo travellers.
gkveda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Not directly cars, but its component:
Engine Oil: MOBIL
At least in Kolkata, even now, i hear at service stations that they will do a "Mobil & Filter" change

another generic classification is for Booster Assisted brakes: "SERVO" brakes

Last edited by arjab : 16th March 2021 at 21:30.
arjab is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
Tempo traveller is another vehicle which has become an identity in itself. There are many vehicles of this class like Force, Tata, swaraj mazda and many other makes. All are just called tempo travellers.
Yes! Infact people call all such vehicles as just TTs
Emvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:28   #8
BHPian

I think until late 90s, a lot of Indians unknowingly used to call all cars apart from Amabassadors as Maruti. I have seen even police personel referring to a different brand car as Maruti, more so if they were hatchbacks.

Even standing today, my Innova Crysta's smart card reads car category as Omni bus. Such was the class defining popularity of Omnis.

Last edited by haisaikat : 16th March 2021 at 21:57.
haisaikat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:32   #9
BHPian

Here are some from my end:

1. XUV

Although not so common, its still used by many as a word for a large-ish crossover. Many people who have no idea about cars also get confused between SUV and XUV leading to this confusion and ultimately, frequent usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
5.SCOOTY
It is well known that Scooty is a brand of scooters from TVS motors. It has become a kind of trend among people that all the gearless scooters are generally termed as SCOOTIES nowadays.
BHPians, any additions to the list?
2. Activa!

While some call it scooty, some call it activa! Basically an activa is a gearless scooter and a "scooter" is one with gears This hugely and widely popular and even people aware of this fact still call all scooters activas! Pretty sure half the members here do so as well be it a suzuki access, tvs jupiter or anything else!

3. Ferrari and Bugatti

Ferrari has such brand reach that any exotic car today is called a ferrari by a common person even if it is something totally different like even something as common as a porsche boxster. Likewise for bugatti, we don't have any in india but many people think a fast and loud car is a bugatti!

Last edited by sodapop : 16th March 2021 at 21:38.
sodapop is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
another generic classification is for Booster Assisted brakes: "SERVO" brakes
As far as I know, this servo has nothing to do with the SERVO brand we have here. It originated from the latin word servus ('slave'/'assist') and has the meaning as in servo-motor.

On a related note, the distributor in older engines were commonly referred to as 'Delco' by mechanics as they were one of the most common manufacturer of distributors back in the day.
--gKrish-- is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:49   #11
BHPian

BULLET

The legendary name bullet has become synonymous to the Royal Enfield brand, so much that although the highest selling product is the Classic lineup, they're all bullet for the Indian Junta.Automobile brand names that have become generic words-images-20210316t214929.216.jpeg
Abhi5868 is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:52   #12
BHPian

A lot of old generation Royal Enfield bikes like classic, electra and thunderbird is commonly referred as "Bullet".

Van - Omni, Eco or any vehicles will sliding doors.

Last edited by karan0009 : 16th March 2021 at 21:58. Reason: Added more information
karan0009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 21:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

If I can recall, any vehicle carrying around 10 to 15 people in the late 80s was called a Matador. These were simple, practical and no nonsense (of course not safe) vehicles that were the Toofans of 80s and early 90s.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 23:35   #14
BHPian

In 90s, any van would have "maxi cab" sticker, thanks to the Mahindra van( maxi cab).

Automobile brand names that have become generic words-images-3.jpeg

Honda City enjoyed the monopoly in the name of luxury (for aspiring upper middle class)sedan. People used to say in tamil - aama ithu periya Honda City ( as if it's a Honda City).

ATV = Polaris, it's not so popular in common people, but even in enthusiasts if someone mentions ATV, the first thing we think of is Polaris.

Slightly OT, we refer the fuel station as petrol pump/bunk commonly even if someone had a diesel vehicle.

Last edited by saikarthik : 16th March 2021 at 23:48.
saikarthik is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2021, 23:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
I

Even standing today, my Innova Crysta's smart card reads car category as Omni bus. Such was the class defining popularity of Omnis.
Actually no, the word Omnibus in your RC is not derived from Maruti Omni, rather it is an archaic term still used in motor vehicle department. Omnibus means "for all", and bus (public vehicle) is a shortened form of the same term. They still use archaic terms such as saloon for all cars, be it a hatchback or sedan etc.
sbanerjee is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks