Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2022, 18:59   #151
BHPian

Re: Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivision View Post
Now I am thinking of getting hold of an agent to do the follow-ups as visiting regularly to RTO will be inconvenient for me.
Don't. Private RC renewals always take a long time in KA. In my case it had taken about 1.5 months till the portal reflected the fresh "RC valid upto" date, and the paper RC arrived home another week post that.

If the clerk didn't point out any irregularity in your application, my suggestion would be to just wait it out. It'll take time but it'll happen.
boniver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 20:30   #152
BHPian

Re: Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think

Got the RC/Fitness renewed for my 15 year old Alto. It was from Barrackpore RTO, (WB24). Did the full thing in person (not online) and myself. 1st day went to the RTO, enquired about the details, purchased the required forms, filled up and submitted. Did not pay any fees. Was given a signed acknowledgment form and was asked to come after 2 days. Went today, submitted back all the documents including the acknowledgment form. Those were returned back after payment. Paid ₹5090.00 as fees. Then went back where the cars were parked. Got the tints removed by a fellow, paid him ₹200.00 for that. Waited patiently for 2 hrs for the inspector to come. It was 4.30 pm by then. There were 8 cars and a number of bikes. My car, and a Honda City passed the inspection test. Rest 6 were told to get the faults rectified. Faults included, car paint not good, side steps and rear steps in a Scorpio, brake fluid tank’s cap missing, ( yes, he was opening the bonnet and inspecting the engine bay) and the best one, which I really appreciated, “Police “ sticker on a private vehicle, no issues with Team BHP stickers on my car, lol.

After he passed my car, told me to go to a counter and submit the signed paperwork. Went there, and was told to shell another ₹2500.00 for “Audio “ tax for 5 years. Did so, submitted back documents and money, got acknowledgement, had to hear patiently their ordeal, as per the gentleman at the counter the state government is deploying them to inspect the river ghats for Kalipuja immersions, and Chaat puja inspection, and how overwhelmed they are. Gave a patient hearing, and was told he will prepare my new RC and to come back and collect that after Chaat puja. There is no concept of postal delivery here in this RTO. Which I don’t mind because the incentive is to get the famous Dada Boudi biryani while returning.
sbanerjee is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 20:42   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

So, renewal of registration post 15 years in still on in Bengal! There was some news that vehicles over 15 years won’t be re-registered in Bengal.
Also good to see reasonable renewal charges as against here in Jharkhand.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 20:59   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
So, renewal of registration post 15 years in still on in Bengal! There was some news that vehicles over 15 years won’t be re-registered in Bengal.
Also good to see reasonable renewal charges as against here in Jharkhand.
Yes, I was worried about that news. That was a green tribunal order which the state government is yet to execute. There are around 1 crore vehicles in the state which would otherwise have to be scrapped. When asked about the problem to my service manager in the MASS where the car is serviced, was advised to not worry, as the state government will not execute the order, in a very colourful language.
sbanerjee is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 09:40   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
good to see reasonable renewal charges as against here in Jharkhand.
If that is reasonable, what would you say when we paid INR 2.5K for renewal of our 20 year old Alto in Karnataka?

I am surprised there is NO single central mandate for renewal of vehicles, rather than every state having it's own rules.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 10:17   #156
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
If that is reasonable, what would you say when we paid INR 2.5K for renewal of our 20 year old Alto in Karnataka?
Alto? I paid 2.3K for renewing RC of my Grand Vitara this month.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 12:00   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post

I am surprised there is NO single central mandate for renewal of vehicles, rather than every state having it's own rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Alto? I paid 2.3K for renewing RC of my Grand Vitara this month.
If you scroll up a few pages, you will find that I recently paid 64K to renew my Civic's registration. Also on the verge of paying 28K for my Zen's renewal very soon. This is in Jharkhand.

Compare this to 2018, when I paid 2.7K for the same Zen when it completed 15 years. In the same state.

Since 01st April 2022, the renewal charges were raised from Rs. 600 to 5K (not road tax but just renewal charges), so I am little surprised that you guys were still able to do it under the bare minimum of 5K (plus other charges).
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 20:52   #158
BANNED

Friend's whose 2nd hand car crossed 15 years forgot to renew the registration. Now doing it with penalty. Through an agent, paid the green tax, & the e-fee (the renewal fee, passing fee, smart card fee, penalty etc) online. But the passing will still take some time. The agent says the car been driven now before the passing & if a traffic cop stops you just show the green tax receipt & e-fee receipts & that should be enough.

Is this true?
Old 21st October 2022, 22:39   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Friend's whose 2nd hand car crossed 15 years forgot to renew the registration. Now doing it with penalty. Through an agent, paid the green tax, & the e-fee (the renewal fee, passing fee, smart card fee, penalty etc) online. But the passing will still take some time. The agent says the car been driven now before the passing & if a traffic cop stops you just show the green tax receipt & e-fee receipts & that should be enough.

Is this true?
Yes, this should suffice if the cops stop the car to check the papers. I enquired the same with my RTO and they told me as long as I’ve the receipts, I’m good. But I’ll be cautious if travelling out of state. The home state traffic police will honour the receipts but out of the state, it’s a different story.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 23:18   #160
BHPian

RC Renewal papers lost at RTO office

Hi,
I have a strange problem. In Aug-22 I went for RC renewal inspection which went well. I availed services of an agent so everything was managed by him.

Since then so long there's no status update online not even status changed to INSPECTED. I have been following up with my agent but now he admits that the papers are sort of lost at the RTO office. It seems the junior of the inspector took some papers home and since then he has not brought them back to office.
I don't know what is the truth but my application has not been processed.

Should I file a police complaint against RTO office and the agent? Or what is the procedure now?
Is the agent going to file duplicate papers, does it work that way?
Old 29th October 2022, 22:52   #161
BHPian

My experience with KA 01 and KA 03 RTO (Bangalore)

My 2 Wheeler registration was expiring on 18th October 2022, searched this forum for the procedure and went to the Vahan website, the 1st step is to pay the fees, and for this, you would have to register your mobile number against RC and it was not allowing me to register against my 2 wheeler RC (they wanted me to go to RTO to get this rectified) and when I checked for my car, it worked fine. Both Chassis Number and engine number was matching with what I have in the Vahan app installed on my phone, I checked the actual RC to see if there is any mismatch and this is where I realized that the end date on the Vahan phone app is incorrect! tried with the date that I have in the actual RC and it worked fine.

Paid 1462/-
  • Green Tax (250)
  • Change of Address (150)
  • Renewal of registration (300)
  • Postal fee (50)
  • Smart card Fee (137)
  • Service/user charge (75)
  • Road safety cess (500)
My 2-wheeler is registered in KA 03 (originally Indiranagar RTO) now it's moved to Kasturi Nagar, Took a pencil sketch of the chassis number and washed and polished the bike. Went to RTO at around 11 am with all the necessary documents, asked around and a friendly watchman said to file all documents in order and put that in a file available outside with a self-addressed envelope along with a postage stamp (yes, we have already paid the fees but they still expect you to get this), then proceed with document verification at counter 17. The queue at the fees counter had more than 50+ people and was not moving at all, I was so glad that I paid online. The verification counter was empty, the lady inside the counter and people around her from other counters were BUSY dealing directly with touts/agents inside their hall, finally, after some time she verified the documents and told me the chassis number (pencil sketch) should be at the side of the page, I said all MVI (Motor vehicle inspectors) need it at the bottom and from when did this change? She said ok, wrote something, and said to go ahead with the vehicle inspection.

I was waiting for my turn at the vehicle inspection and was drooling at the immaculately maintained RD350. They had about 20 odd 2-wheelers for renewal and I think only 2 of us were without any broker/agent, one assistant was reading out the chassis number and the inspector was verifying the same and he was a bit strict and asked some of them to turn on the vehicle, he was carefully checking for horn, indicators, lights, etc. he rejected few entries saying they did not have a saree guard and another vehicle for some other modification. He checked my vehicle and made an observation that there are some scratches (i smiled and said that its regular scratches and the other one was a helmet mark and that should not affect the roadworthiness or performance of the vehicle), he nodded and wrote something in his notebook which he was carrying and asked me to submit the documents at room 19.

At the RTO they did not allow me in (room 19 was on the 2nd floor inside the building), even after saying that the inspector asked me to submit it there, they made me go to different counters and finally I saw the assistant who was reading out the numbers earlier, he said the Inspector has to sign the document and then they would put an approval seal, it was around 1:10 pm and I thought they would ask me to come after the lunch break, etc. But in about 20 mins inspector came, he recognized me and just signed the document, submitted this document at counter 15, and gave me an acknowledgment.

----------------
I had also been procrastinating hypothecation removal on my car for the past 5 years, the bank where I took the loan - SBH (State Bank of Hyderabad) got merged with SBI, and my form 35 and NOC were on a letterhead from SBH dated 19 April 2017. Friends and a broker said, I would have to take a new form 35 and NOC from the bank (as the original was valid only for 6 months?) this bank was around 25+ km from my house, and I had no plans of selling my car so this was pushed forever.

But after my pleasant experience with KA 03, wanted to see if I can get the Hypothecation removed without getting new form 35 or NOC, I searched everywhere (went through multiple documents online) and I did not find a single article where it said, form 35 and NOC should be within 6 months. So paid fees online (the Mobile number was registered earlier)

Paid 462/-
  • Hypothecation Termination (200)
  • Postal Fee (50)
  • Service/user charge (75)
  • Smart card fee (137)
Vahan website asks you to attach form 35, noc, and aadhar online and its file size should be within 200 kb. Scanned the documents through adobe scanner, compressed the pdf file with a free app available in the google store, and uploaded the same, they asked to submit original documents at RTO.

Car was KA 01 registered (Earlier it was in Koramangala - Now it's moved to HSR Layout), Scene at KA 01 RTO is the same, fees counter had about 20-30 people and the process seems to be really slow. I Picked a file outside and filed the documents in the below order

1. 2 sets of form 35 (Original)
2. NOC from the bank (Original)
3. Insurance Copy
4. Emission certificate copy
5. Self-addressed envelope with Stamps
6. Transparent plastic cover which would hold your RC

The actual process is very simple, some of these crooks in RTO hate that the entire process is online and they are just reduced to document collection if you have paid the fees online submitting this should not take more than 10 mins, in my case they delayed it intentionally, you will have to submit the documents in room 3 in 1st floor, in this room you'll have different people dealing with a different year of registration i.e. in my case its KA 01 MN i.e. its MN series and this is collected by a person who sits in one corner. At first, when I approached him, he acted busy some dealer calls him and he collects that file and starts working on it, happily ignoring someone who is waiting for him since 11 AM, and then he lies that server is down (it was working in all other counters) and I see a reflection of the screen through his glasses it was working without any issues. Before I could ask him, he picks his phone and goes out to come back after 1 hour!

When he came back, he collected the document, verifies the content, and just updated one entry in the system and the work is done (less than 2 mins)

This was done about 2 weeks back, current status as per Vahan website, they have removed the Hypothecation on my car and my 2 Wheeler RC also seems to be progressing. Will update once i receive the Original RC.
Sri Vathsa is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 12:25   #162
BHPian

Re: RC Renewal papers lost at RTO office

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravin93 View Post
Hi,
I have a strange problem. In Aug-22 I went for RC renewal inspection which went well. I availed services of an agent so everything was managed by him.

Should I file a police complaint against RTO office and the agent? Or what is the procedure now?
Is the agent going to file duplicate papers, does it work that way?
Do you have acknowledgement receipt, which the RTO provides? If yes, followup directly with the RTO and get the status update, even if you don't have the acknowledgement receipt, you would have the fees paid receipt? Check with RTO once, sometimes these agents play around to extract more money. You can also escalate within RTO to their higher up.

As far as the broker, threaten that you will file a police complaint and will drag him to this mess and you expect result after paying money. If nothing works out hire a lawyer and file complaint in police station against broker and RTO.
Old 30th October 2022, 19:52   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by bivision View Post
No further progress happened, so I visited RTO last week (also needed to go for DL backlog entry) after trying the landline no (not received), whatsapp to mobile no (not even read), email (no reply)
Just send sms to the RTO number. Your file processing will be expedited for sure.
jsriram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 17:31   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsriram View Post
Just send sms to the RTO number. Your file processing will be expedited for sure.
Thanks, sent SMS now. My DL backlog entry is also stuck in approval stage for 3+ weeks now. Gave it to an agent to handle DL matter. Once that is done, and if RC remains stuck, will give it to agent to resolve.
There goes my effort in vain at receiving corruption less government service.
Old 7th November 2022, 02:03   #165
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Hello Bhpians,

This thread is really very informative but my case of a bit unique and sadly after going through the entire thread, I am more confused than before.
My brother bought a car in 2008 and then moved to US in 2011. He foreclosed the car loan but never got the hypothecation removed. The address on the RC is a Mumbai address that my brother rented during his stay there and the car is in Jharkhand now.
Now I want to re-register the car in Jharkhand but not sure how to proceed. I also want to change the ownership as it’s a hassle to get FasTag and other authorisation letters from my brother every now and then.
Going by this thread, I concluded that following things are to be done:
1. Hypothecation Removal (from Mumbai)
2. NOC in the name of new owner for my RTO in Jharkhand (from Mumbai )
3. Re-Registration of the car in Jharkhand

My questions are:
1. Is it possible to re-register a car after 15 years along with ownership and state transfer, all in one go ?
2. If yes then is there any other document needed apart from NOC+ non hypothecated RC ?
3. Do I have to wait for registration to get expired before applying for re-registration (for 5 years) in Jharkhand ? E.g in case of passport, you can apply for renewal 1 year in advance.
4. What’s the validity of NOC that I will get from Mumbai.
5. What’s the documents required for address proof in Jharkhand ? I only have my Jharkhand address on my drivers license.

Any other course of action or ideas are welcome.
My aim is to get the hypothecation removed and re-register the car in my name in Jharkhand.

Thanks for your help in advance 🙏🏻

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks