Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2022, 12:21   #76
BHPian

Re: Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
The Agent ! When applying online it says not able to! as the car is now 28 years old
The age of the vehicle shouldn't be an issue. Usually the error would pop up either because the vehicle doesn't have valid insurance (you will anyway have to get insurance before you apply for FC), or because of some technical glitch on the RTOs end. If everything's clear from your side, visit the IT room in the RTO office once, and ask them to sort it. Should be solved easily and without any money involved. You can then proceed to file an online application.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 12:29   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi Saket,
Were you able to find this out?
In Jharkhand, people had to pay 4-4.5% of invoice value for extension post 15 years for every 5 years. late fine is rs. 500 per month.
For a Santro it cost nearly 20k last august.
Ironically, while buying the car new, one had to pay 3% for 15 years.
Hi Vicky!

Registration is due in June so I’ll approach the RTO next month. But what you’ve said is true. What I know is that people here are paying very high amounts for renewal of registration. My brother renewed his Alto’s registration and had to shell out around 16K. The norm seems to be around 4% of invoice value on an average, which is expensive. Also I cannot understand that if the renewal charges for private passenger cars have been fixed at 5K plus green tax or whatever they call it, then why people are asked to pay such high amounts. As far as my understanding goes, the road tax paid is valid for ‘lifetime’ and not just 15 years. It’s only the registration that needs to be renewed and hence the invoice value should not be a variable in the calculation.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 12:57   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
As far as my understanding goes, the road tax paid is valid for ‘lifetime’ and not just 15 years. It’s only the registration that needs to be renewed and hence the invoice value should not be a variable in the calculation.
Varies from state to state. In certain states such as WB and KL, lifetime means 15 years, whereas in KA, it means for the entire life of the vehicle. Renewal in WB involves payment of registration fees+road tax for the next applicable period, and a KA renewal involves payment of registration fees+green tax, in which the green tax is a very minor amount (was Rs. 250 for my bike when I got it done in January '22).
Old 26th April 2022, 19:00   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
The age of the vehicle shouldn't be an issue. Usually the error would pop up either because the vehicle doesn't have valid insurance (you will anyway have to get insurance before you apply for FC), or because of some technical glitch on the RTOs end. If everything's clear from your side, visit the IT room in the RTO office once, and ask them to sort it. Should be solved easily and without any money involved. You can then proceed to file an online application.

It does have valid insurance! PUC and all documents are updated properly. Worst case scenario pay that agent and get the work done. I may not have the time to run around the RTO every day.
Old 11th May 2022, 14:06   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I need to renew my Civic‘s registration in a few months. Any idea what can I expect to be the renewal cost for the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Renewal of registration has nothing to do with the then cost price. However, it distinguishes between an Indian car (Rs 5000=00) and an imported car (Rs 40,000=00).

The renewal fees will be :-

Green Tax= as applicable in your state;
RC Fees = Rs 200-300/- as applicable in your state
Reregistration Fees = Rs 5000=00
Road Safety Tax = if applicable in your state + Automated fitness test fee Rs 1000=00 (if applicable in your state)
+PUC test charges( if automated fitness test is not done)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Hi Saket,
Were you able to find this out?
In Jharkhand, people had to pay 4-4.5% of invoice value for extension post 15 years for every 5 years. late fine is rs. 500 per month.
For a Santro it cost nearly 20k last august.
Ironically, while buying the car new, one had to pay 3% for 15 years.

Visited the RTO today and got a shock...
As per the officials, the invoice value will have to be recorded before the process of renewal begins. The tax will be approx 4.5% of the invoice value, plus 5000/- (the new registration renewal charge since Apr-22), plus 3-5K will be other charges including MVI inspection, RC printing, etc.

So, the Ex showroom price of the car as per invoice is Rs. 10,97,000/- which includes the state VAT of Rs. 1,22,000/-

4.5% of 10.97L= Rs. 49365/-
Add:
Registration renewal charge=Rs. 5000/-
Other charges= Rs. 5000/-

Total= 59,365/-

So, I am staring at a cost of Rs. 59365/- for renewing registration of a 15 year old car which is impeccably maintained. Leave alone being justified, is this even digestible? How does it compare to costs applicable in other states? Is any other state charging so much? Even states like KA renewal charges have been much lower as shared by members in this thread only.
My current registration is valid till 4th June.

Last edited by saket77 : 11th May 2022 at 14:08.
saket77 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 15:55   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It does have valid insurance! PUC and all documents are updated properly. Worst case scenario pay that agent and get the work done. I may not have the time to run around the RTO every day.

Update finally got the FC done using an Agent - Note - Some of these guys will try and charge you as much as possible.,

Total Charges
6900.00-/ - Towards Gov/Green fees and other charges
3600.00-/ - Towards the Agent (for Chai and Pani)
Total Damages 10,500-/

Couple of days back this agent called me and wanted another 2,500 saying that he faced problems as the car was 95 model and that they can only renew the RC if I pay some more.

At the same Time I logged into Vahan portal, entered my RC details and I see that the FC has been renewed! There was an option to download the RC - got the print out of my RC card
Captain Slow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 11:47   #82
Senior - BHPian

Re: Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the Pune RTO

I got the registration of my bike renewed at the 20 year mark yesterday at the Pune RTO.

Process followed:
Prerequisites
  1. Valid PUC certificate
  2. Valid Insurance Coverage (at least Third Party)
Steps
  1. Go to Parivahan website
  2. From the drop down menu go to Online Services->Vehicle Related Services
    Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-step1.png
  3. Select the State from the drop down list. This is the state where your vehicle is currently registered
    Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-step2.png
  4. From the drop down RTO list select the RTO where your vehicle is registered
    Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-step3.png
  5. Pay the environment tax by going to Services->Pay Your Environment Tax/Green Tax/Passenger Tax/Good Tax. You can try to pay the registration fees directly if the environment tax is already paid or is still valid. In my case my original registration month was April and the renewal in 2017 had happened in June. So when I tried to pay the registration fees, I was asked to first pay the Environment tax before I could proceed further.
    Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-step5.png
  6. From the main menu select Renewal of Registration and verify the details and pay the fees. Once the fees is paid you will be prompted to take the prints of Form 25 and the Fees Receipt.
    Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-step4.jpg
  7. Take a print of Form 25 and the prints of the receipts of Environment Tax and Registration Fees paid. Form 25 will be prefilled with the vehicle information as well as details of the fees paid.
  8. You need to sign at three places in Form 25. They are clearly marked in the form.
  9. Take a print of the form 25, attach a copy of the PUC certificate and a copy of the vehicle insurance and the original RC
  10. Go to the RTO office (in case of Pune, it is the RTO office at Phulenagar near Vishrantwadi) with your vehicle and the papers.
  11. Take a pencil impression of the Chassis Number and Engine Number of Form 25 (on an edge)
  12. Handover the papers to the RTO inspector. The inspector will inspect the vehicle and will pass/reject the registration. If it passes the inspection, you can handover the paper there and go home. If the inspection fails, you need to address the reasons for rejection and then go back for inspection. I am not exactly sure if anything else is needed in case of a failed inspection.

Inspection Process (Two wheeler)
This is based on my experience yesterday.
  1. The inspector checked the form
  2. The inspector verified the Chassis Number and Engine Number on the vehicle against the form
  3. The inspector took a look at the vehicle for overall fit and finish
  4. I was asked to start the bike
  5. Was asked to turn the headlights on and off
  6. Was asked to turn the high beam on and off
  7. Was asked to turn on the indicators (Inspector checked the front and rear indicators)
  8. Was asked to sound the horn
  9. Was asked to ride the bike and apply brakes and the inspector checked the working of the brake lights. Did not check the front brake and rear brake separately.

Fees and Additional Details
I was under the impression that I had to pay the fees and then take the documents to the RTO for verification and then take an appointment for the inspection. But was told by the agent that the inspection appointment is just drive/ride in and the papers are verified on the spot. Based on my assumption I had decided to go through an RTO agent. All that the agent did was to bring the prints of Form 25, PUC and Insurance (that I had shared with them) and then take the papers to the Inspector and be with the inspector through the inspection process.
  1. I paid an environment tax of Rs. 2080. The environment tax was Rs. 2000 and Rs. 80 was late fee.
  2. The registration charges were Rs. 1650
    • Rs. 1000 registration fee
    • Rs. 400 inspection fee
    • Rs. 200 smart card fee
    • Rs. 50 postal fee
  3. I went through an agent and he charged me Rs. 1500

Everything was in good on my bike and the bike passed the inspection.
You can track the status of the renewal by going to the Vahan site and Status->Know Your Application Status
Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-step6.png

Enter the Vehicle Registration Number
Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-step7.jpg

You will find a history of transactions against your vehicle. Go to Renewal of Registration and click on Show Details.
Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-step8.png

You will see the current status of the process.
Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-step9.png

Last edited by pjbiju : 14th June 2022 at 11:50.
pjbiju is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 14:59   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Update finally got the FC done using an Agent - Note - Some of these guys will try and charge you as much as possible.,

Total Charges
6900.00-/ - Towards Gov/Green fees and other charges
3600.00-/ - Towards the Agent (for Chai and Pani)
Total Damages 10,500-/
Can you please post the breakup of Rs.6900? My 2007 Santro registration is expiring on 26-Jul, there is no change in address or the RTO (KA-41 in my case). My agent is claiming that charges have increased.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 16:43   #84
BHPian

Need your help:
1. My car is in my fathers name
2. It is registered in Delhi
3. My father has passed away
4. Car needs to be transferred in my name
5. While applying online for ownership transfer, found that the owner name column has some one elses name in the online database.

How to get it corrected?
Old 15th June 2022, 13:34   #85

Thanks to the many gentleman who have posted their successes and ordeals in dealing with RTO, I have been able to apply for re-registering my vehicle.

This particular post (15+ year old cars & Certificate of Fitness (CF))seemed that the process is quite easy.

However, the above one was in Jayanagar and I tried the same with Kasturi Nagar RTO.

Many of you would have already read this article of RC's and licenses being stuck at RTO.

After a month of submitting my documents, I am stuck at a new place. Yesterday, the status in Parivahan website states that "FIFO" - Fee Cancelled. If any of you have any information, it would be great to proceed with next step.

Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-rto-part-1.png

Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think-rto-part-2.png

Incidentally I went to the RTO @ Kasturinagara, and the gentleman at counter 14 says that the process has changed and wait for 10 days for things to get your RC.

Of course, the process was without an agent.

Tried to meet the Additional RTO, he said talk to the superintendent @ counter 14.

If anyone has any clue or information, kindly post it as this would be really useful.

Needless to say , this was my second visit to RTO after successfully submitting the application.
Old 20th June 2022, 20:33   #86
BHPian

I heard there has been a revision of fee in April 22. ( 4 times the old fee)
Does anybody know what is the 15 year FC fee for a four wheeler in Bangalore?.
Also, what is the average agent fee these days?
Old 22nd June 2022, 15:47   #87
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
--
I have a car which is turning 15 years next month end. But here's my predicament - I am at Trivandrum Kerala now, but the car was registered in Bangalore.
--
I have a very similar problem.
My aging 220 is cooling its heels in Bengal (If i take NOC, the local rto is not interested in re-registering in bengal)
I live in Karnataka while the 220 was registered in Noida.
Even if I try to re-register in Noida, i will need to conjure up a Noida address proof i guess apart from managing the show without the bike.

Anyone else who has been in a similar predicament?
Old 22nd June 2022, 15:58   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
My aging 220 is cooling its heels in Bengal (If i take NOC, the local rto is not interested in re-registering in bengal)
I live in Karnataka while the 220 was registered in Noida.
Even if I try to re-register in Noida, i will need to conjure up a Noida address proof i guess apart from managing the show without the bike.

Anyone else who has been in a similar predicament?
Re registering in KA should not be an issue if you want to move the bike to Bangalore. Take an NOC from Noida for Bangalore. Don't let the Noida registration expire because then it can't be renewed since its in NCR. Re-registering in bengal is out of the question, they don't allow registration of pre BS4 vehicles, even if they're used

Last edited by boniver : 22nd June 2022 at 15:59.
Old 22nd June 2022, 15:58   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I finally got around this problem - sold my car via cars24 and they looked for a buyer in Bangalore. The car's ownership has now been transferred without me going to Bangalore or having to take the car to Bangalore for this purpose! In fact, I did everything sitting in the comfort of my home in Trivandrum. I didn't care about the less competitive price offered by cars24, since they saved me from a lot of hassles.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd June 2022 at 16:00.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2022, 16:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Can you please post the breakup of Rs.6900? My 2007 Santro registration is expiring on 26-Jul, there is no change in address or the RTO (KA-41 in my case). My agent is claiming that charges have increased.
How much is he asking? If you have the time you can do it yourself but you will need sped a day at the RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Also, what is the average agent fee these days?

Check here - This was recently at the KA04 RTO

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5317725 (Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think)

Last edited by Captain Slow : 22nd June 2022 at 16:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks