Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2021, 14:42   #316
BHPian

Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by romil.shroff View Post
20) Let's hope there's a SportLine variant with an all-black interiors and de-chrome exteriors.
+1 to this.

Also notably absent seem to be ventilated seats - the display has blanks in the place where the controls for the ventilated seats are in the international variants.
Shreyas_H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 15:21   #317
BHPian

Many Indian buyers love sunroofs. I am among the minority who never uses it, considering that I drive mostly in NCR / North with all that heat, cold and dust.

Even when I had bought my 1.8 TSI L&K, I would have gladly bought one without sunroof if there was an option. Headlamps washer isn't something which is very useful, unless it is driven in heavy muddy conditions. In fact, when I use the windscreen washer, I switch off lights (during the time), and then switch it on after washer stops. I do it as headlamp washer too gets activated and lot of water is wasted unnecessarily.

I feel that the dash is looking really futuristic and classy. I am into Korean bling, as I somehow don't enjoy that much.

After seeing the pics, now I am wishfully thinking if this new gen available two years ago.
Old 2nd June 2021, 15:41   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas_H View Post
+1 to this.

Also notably absent seem to be ventilated seats - the display has blanks in the place where the controls for the ventilated seats are in the international variants.
There was talk of Sportline variant coming in Octavia too. But all depends on that PRICING. anything more than 30L OTR is being greedy IMO. The elasticity for pricing L&K OTR below 30L (in BLR) is massive at this point in time.
Old 2nd June 2021, 16:26   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
There was talk of Sportline variant coming in Octavia too. But all depends on that PRICING. anything more than 30L OTR is being greedy IMO. The elasticity for pricing L&K OTR below 30L (in BLR) is massive at this point in time.
I believe L&K OTR pricing in Bangalore will be between 32 to 34 lakhs and honestly in my opinion that would not be a bad pricing too.
Old 2nd June 2021, 17:02   #320
BHPian

I am guessing Skoda is going to introduce the ventilated seats and sunroof in Sportline which will be more driver focused rather than the L&K which seems to be backseat focused. They did something similar to differentiate the Superb when it was launched.
Old 2nd June 2021, 17:55   #321
BHPian

The Octavia looks really elegant inside out except for those wheels which still have not grown on me. Hope we get a variant with black interiors which would look great.

As for all the demands for a sunroof, The Octavia being a CKD car for India, I don't think there is any point hoping for a sunroof to come unless Skoda decides to bring in the Octavia Combi. This is because even in the European market the Octavia hatchback does not come with the option of a sunroof as of now.
Abhinav_2502 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 18:18   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
No way! I'm worried for my kids - they will not be happy in a modern sunroof-less car! It will be a deal breaker for us, and I'm sure for many others
I really don't know you are being serious or sarcastic. If you haven't experienced it yet then let me tell you it's a gimmick for our conditions. I have owned cars with normal and panoramic sunroofs and after the initial euphoria haven't touched the sunroof button. It might make sense in Europe for some people ( I didn't use it much here as well) but it's totally useless for Indian conditions. The sun will be too strong to keep the shade open and the dirt will make your life hell if you drive around with the glass open.

It's great for instagram pictures though
turbowhistle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 19:05   #323
BHPian

Sunroof seems to be a gimmick for those who have it in their car and a must have for those who don’t.
I wish brands made it optional to opt in or out for sunroof.
I guess we all should agree that sunroof does add premium feel to the car and someone spending 30 big ones would definitely want to have that premium feeling.
If they price top end Octavia at 27-28L (ex-showroom) then the price difference between Octavia L&K and Superb sportline will be very thin and I feel that will definitely influence buying decision of people.
Jatin247 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 20:51   #324
BHPian

I must honestly say, this is a car that I’ve been looking forward to for some time. That 2.0 TSI engine is very tempting. I do hope that Skoda keep the price realistic and ensure decent customer service.

I agree with the prevailing opinion that a sunroof in India is just a gimmick, Having owned a car with a sunroof for over 5 years, I can say that with absolute confidence. I open my sunroof occasionally only to ensure that the mechanism hasn’t jammed.
A sunroof is useful in countries where the sun rarely shines, opening it lets in a lot of much appreciated and rare sunlight. Opening a sunroof in our country would only let in Heat, Smoke, Unwanted smells, the occasional gifts (poo) from a passing bird or even worse, the remains of chewable tobacco from the mouth of someone in the bus next to you at a stoplight.
AnAvgJoe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 01:02   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampadroy View Post
Beg to differ here.
As I had mentioned before, the 1.5 TSI will be coming in the future (the exact time of launch depends on various other factors) but as of now, only the 2.0 TSI has been officially confirmed and would be launched on 10th June.

Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India-screenshot_20210603004949__01.jpg
sampadroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 03:15   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Where in sunroof is not in the version sold abroad, why would skoda skimp on ventilated seats. It's a stupid move just to differentiate between superb and Octavia, not only are they deleting a feature they also add those buttons which are non functional now and will just look plain bad.

I briefly did consider Octavia, but it is not in my shortlist anymore, one I want to move away from sedan and this was the only one that had me interested and for the expected price skoda is planning to ask for this car, they should have had all the features. Second I think I would rather go for an SUV at that price range, yes I might lose out on driving pleasure that Octavia would have offered, but would safeguard myself from the bad roads that we have in Bangalore. The expected price also might pitch it face to face with top end Jeep compass 4X4, I would rather pick that as back seat comfort is not exactly on top of my mind with just a 7 year old, he would anyway end up occupying all of it and should be comfortable enough.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 07:04   #327
BHPian

So, no adaptive cruise control, assisted braking, and other driver assist features, after all?

What a disappointment.

With regards to the sunroof, the only time I see a sunroof open in India is with kids hanging out of it. Better not to have it at all, and use that money elsewhere.
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2021, 08:13   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
With regards to the sunroof, the only time I see a sunroof open in India is with kids hanging out of it. Better not to have it at all, and use that money elsewhere.
Please don’t ever do it, that’s the most unsafe thing to do with your kids or anyone else. Several parents have lost their children because of this. Kite strings, sudden braking, stone chips flying are some of the things that can harm the person standing out of a sun roof.

About the Octavia, I use the sunroof to let natural light come in, so yes I would have liked one. But since it’s not coming, I can say it’s a blessing in disguise with no rattles and all.
Old 3rd June 2021, 08:20   #329
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07CR View Post
Minimalist design, with very less buttons (I am hating it already) No sunroof
We are two of a kind buddy, if anyone is milking the less is more (or nothing is more) philosophy, it is the VW Group, worst interior I've seen from Skoda, personally, they generally had made very luxurious interiors before, with wood grain plastic panels, contrasting black and beige themes and overall, full of buttons for every function.

The previous gen Octavia beats this ugly mess hands down, and that wasn't a great benchmark to begin with.

The earlier Yeti, Superb and Fabia interiors were fantastic, no doubt about it.
Old 3rd June 2021, 09:11   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampadroy View Post
Seems like different set of alloys. Is this a possible Sportline version picture? Can't quite see the interiors color or the seat color, but might be one.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed