Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:26   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 138
Thanked: 482 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

I've been on the fence about upgrading my 07 Civic since a while now, and haven't been able to find anything compelling enough. This Octy seems like just the right package, if it's priced in 22-23L price range.
armaan_singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 13:02   #32
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 277
Thanked: 64 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Though this ticks a lot of boxes and is drool worthy, I feel it won’t do much to revive the d- segment. While time will tell, Skoda with its ASS and it’s horror stories still in the mind of buyers, I doubt if it will be able to cross over from the initial fad to incremental sales.
an_and is offline  
Old 22nd March 2021, 13:10   #33
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Rampur 244901
Posts: 1
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

This Model is definitely going to make a mark in the segment between 23-28 lacs. Considering the pricing is set accordingly.

We desperately need a vehicle which can cater to previous Accord customers.
tusha0410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 13:17   #34
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 19
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Just looks stunning. Can't wait to get my hands on this beauty. Looking forward to owning this beauty in the next two years.

With regards to Skoda's after sales services, I frankly feel they have improved a lot. My Rapid is into it's fourth year and I haven't had any issue with the service so far.
Satish Pari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 13:33   #35
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 21
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

I hope that they price the car right to save this segment.
A 2.0L diesel engine should also be brought because with 2L tsi and 187 bhp we can't expect much mileage in city use.
The centre console looks very clean and up market.
Jatin247 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 14:27   #36
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: GHAZIABAD
Posts: 14
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

The new car definitely looks sharper and beautiful. But the design of the alloys will take some time getting used to.
shekjsk is offline  
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:02   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,317
Thanked: 2,336 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post

Ride-by-wire (drive by wire) has been present almost everywhere for ages. All common rail diesels and all TSI/TGDi engines work on drive by wire systems. You might be referring to shift-by-wire that is used here with the toggle switch.
Are you sure? Do yo mean to say common rail diesels do not have a throttle cable?
Guna is online now  
Old 22nd March 2021, 16:05   #38
BHPian
 
niteshbids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Patna
Posts: 145
Thanked: 303 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Are you sure? Do yo mean to say common rail diesels do not have a throttle cable?
Yup. Common rail diesels have a sensor on the accelerator pedal which feeds the pedal position the ECU. In fact, there is usually no air throttling in Diesel engines at all, although some newer engines have added throttle valves for the purpose of EGR. Even those throttle valves are electronically actuated and not linked to the pedal.

In-fact, as the high pressure fuel pump and the injectors are all electronically controlled, there is nothing for a mechanical cable to do.
niteshbids is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 16:20   #39
BHPian
 
shaheenazk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 201
Thanked: 224 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Attachment 2135088

Is this design about “Form over Function”?

‘P’ button at the top - electronic parking brake or the parking mode switch?

Toggle gear switch in center - looks like it is meant to move longitudinally between ‘R’ and ‘D/S’. How do you move this toggle switch latitudinally, to shift to Manual / Tiptronic mode (assuming there is one in this setup)?
Agree with you. Moreover, a gear selector lever is more convenient to use than a knob in heavy traffic conditions where you would be repeatedly shifting from neutral to drive and vice versa.
shaheenazk is offline  
Old 22nd March 2021, 19:13   #40
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Delhi
Posts: 31
Thanked: 34 Times
Infractions: 0/3 (13)
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
I've been on the fence about upgrading my 07 Civic since a while now, and haven't been able to find anything compelling enough. This Octy seems like just the right package, if it's priced in 22-23L price range.
I don't think the Octavia will be a worthy "Upgrade" over the civic. For that you can consider the Superb. Also investing this much money in a Sedan is no longer worth it. I strongly suggest you invest in a Harrier or a Safari for real upliftment.
KaurDiCar is offline  
Old 22nd March 2021, 20:55   #41
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 28
Thanked: 36 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaurDiCar View Post
I don't think the Octavia will be a worthy "Upgrade" over the civic. For that you can consider the Superb. Also investing this much money in a Sedan is no longer worth it. I strongly suggest you invest in a Harrier or a Safari for real upliftment.
Driving a sedan is vastly different from driving a 'SUV'. Also Skoda fit and finish vs a Tata?
nidhikapoor is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 21:26   #42
AYP
BHPian
 
AYP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 889
Thanked: 2,047 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaurDiCar View Post
I don't think the Octavia will be a worthy "Upgrade" over the civic. For that you can consider the Superb. Also investing this much money in a Sedan is no longer worth it. I strongly suggest you invest in a Harrier or a Safari for real upliftment.
1. Scenario 1-

Let us assume that your logic is true and no car in the same segment can be a 'upgrade' over any other car of the same segment(currently available cars or the cars of past). So what makes you say that a Harrier or a Safari would be a 'real upliftment'? Just because they are SUVs? What kind if logic is that? The Harrier and the Safari both belong to the D1 segment only. It maybe your personal opinion that sedans are not worth it anymore but everyone is entitled to his opinion and if someone thinks that another sedan is gonna be an 'upgrade' for him, then he is a hundred percent right in assuming so. Heck, even I would prefer an Octavia over the Safari anyday of the week.

2. Scenario 2-

We do not assume that your logic is true. Why do you think that a car of the same segment can't be an upgrade? Yes, technically speaking, it is a 'lateral upgrade' but an upgrade nonetheless, especially if it is a 15 year old Civic vs an all new Octavia. Heck, this car is gonna be an upgrade for the current gen Civic and Elantra owners as well as long as they are willing to adopt the brand Skoda.

In either scenarios, the new Octavia is going to be a huge upgrade over the 2007 Civic. I would also call the Safari and the Harrier an upgrade as well but to a much lesser extent that the Octavia.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th March 2021 at 05:21. Reason: Let's keep it cordial
AYP is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 21:41   #43
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Delhi
Posts: 31
Thanked: 34 Times
Infractions: 0/3 (13)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
2. Scenario 2-

We do not assume that your logic is true. Why do you think that a car of the same segment can't be an upgrade? Yes, technically speaking, it is a 'lateral upgrade' but an upgrade nonetheless, especially if it is a 15 year old Civic vs an all new Octavia. Heck, this car is gonna be an upgrade for the current gen Civic and Elantra owners as well as long as they are willing to adopt the brand Skoda.

Well to each their own but I don't really see any merit in say "upgrading" a 15 year old Alto to the current generation Datsun Redigo.
I don't have an issue with the decision as much as I have with the word "Upgrade" because it really isn't.

And I suggested SUVs keeping in mind the market trend (resale value) as well as Indian road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Driving a sedan is vastly different from driving a 'SUV'. Also Skoda fit and finish vs a Tata?
Yes SUVs drive very differently and in all likeliness far better than tarmac hugging sedans, and Tata has come a long a way, the Harriers cabin is easily comparable to cars from two segments above.

Last edited by manson : 22nd March 2021 at 23:28. Reason: Back to back posts.
KaurDiCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:13   #44
BHPian
 
Zodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Delhi
Posts: 71
Thanked: 61 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaurDiCar View Post
and Tata has come a long a way, the Harriers cabin is easily comparable to cars from two segments above.
No, it isn't. Harrier cabin's fit and finish is not even comparable cars like Creta and Seltos which are a segment below.Creta and Seltos have a better put together and better looking cabin than Harrier. Even fit and finish is a tad better in these cars. If we start comparing Harrier to cars which are segment above like Superb and Compass, the difference is like night and day. Harrier has a lots of things going for it but cabin quality is not one of them.

Last edited by Zodak : 22nd March 2021 at 22:18.
Zodak is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:17   #45
AYP
BHPian
 
AYP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 889
Thanked: 2,047 Times
Default Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaurDiCar View Post
Well to each their own but I don't really see any merit in say "upgrading" a 15 year old Alto to the current generation Datsun Redigo.
These are different cars and will warrant a different response. Generally speaking, a 15 year old newer car of the same segment will be much better than the older car. Exceptions will be an absolute rarity. And the 2021 Octavia vs 2007 Civic is not even close to being an exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaurDiCar View Post
And I suggested SUVs keeping in mind the market trend (resale value) as well as Indian road conditions.
In that case, you could have advised him that. Maybe in a different thread where he would have asked us for our opinion.

And the way you said it after negating the fact that the 2021 Octavia is not an upgrade over the 2007 Civic didn't make it appear that way. Especially when all of them belong to the same segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaurDiCar View Post
And I suggested SUVs keeping in mind the market trend (resale value) as well as Indian road conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaurDiCar View Post
I don't have an issue with the decision as much as I have with the word "Upgrade" because it really isn't.
So now combining the above new statements of yours with your previous post, 'you mean to say that no car of the same segment can be a 'true upgrade' over an older car unless it is an SUV?' Sounds ridiculous.

Last edited by AYP : 22nd March 2021 at 22:42.
AYP is offline   (13) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks