Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 23:04   #46
BHPian

Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaurDiCar View Post
I don't think the Octavia will be a worthy "Upgrade" over the civic. For that you can consider the Superb. Also investing this much money in a Sedan is no longer worth it. I strongly suggest you invest in a Harrier or a Safari for real upliftment.
Thank You for the suggestion but I'm really not fond of SUVs, I prefer the dynamics and handling of a sedan, I understand I might be going against the tide here.

As far as the upgrade situation goes I agree with you on the theory, however the way cars are being priced now days the Superb is a far cry for me in terms of pricing, and I'm sure the a 2021 Octavia will be a massive upgrade in every aspect to the 2007 Civic except maybe in rear seating space which frankly doesn't bother me much.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st March 2021 at 08:42. Reason: Octy = Octavia. Please type in full, no acronyms to be used. Thanks.
armaan_singh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 02:33   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodak View Post
No, it isn't. Harrier cabin's fit and finish is not even comparable cars like Creta and Seltos which are a segment below.
Harrier's quality of the hornpad itself will make it look like 2 segments below, forget above. Not to mention the creaking Handbrake lever or the interior roof light console .
Doonite is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 06:30   #48
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

The only downside I see is the petrol engines. Wonder how poor the mileage will be.
Old 23rd March 2021, 07:53   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
Thank You for the suggestion but I'm really not fond of SUVs, I prefer the dynamics and handling of a sedan, I understand I might be going against the tide here.

As far as the upgrade situation goes I agree with you on the theory, however the way cars are being priced now days the Superb is a far cry for me in terms of pricing, and I'm sure the a 2021 Octy will be a massive upgrade in every aspect to the 2007 Civic except maybe in rear seating space which frankly doesn't bother me much.
Well the Octavia will be a decent upgrade from a Civic and the new generation will feel fresh and lively and filled with tech compared to the plain jane Civic. The build quality of Skoda is also heavier than Honda.
I upgraded from a Honda Civic AT to a Skoda Laura (Diesel 2.0 Manual) in 2012 and the biggest difference was the mileage. My Skoda Laura (still with us) gives a mileage of 19 kmpl on diesel while the Civic used to give mileage of 7 .
The Skoda Laura diesel manual is very spirited to drive and the torque kick is engaging. In the Civic AT the rubberband effect of the AT gearbox would just take the fun away of driving.
I wish Skoda also launch a diesel Octavia soon (but that seems unlikely as of now) as that would be the best variant in my opinion.
However if you are not concerned about mileage the most fun to drive would be the 2.0 TSI manual (or DSG if you need Auto)
The driving dynamics of the Octavias are generally spot on and this new one should not be any different.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 09:19   #50
BHPian

I was waiting for this beauty firstly to get launched worldwide and finally here, since almost 2 years. With plethora of SUVs eating sedans market, this brings freshness like morning breeze. Can't wait to bring it home, just hope they price it below 30 lacs.

Any news on hybrid version ?
Old 23rd March 2021, 09:45   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post

And the way you said it after negating the fact that the 2021 Octavia is not an upgrade over the 2007 Civic didn't make it appear that way. Especially when all of them belong to the same segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
WoW - this discussion really echos the thoughts that have been running around in my mind over the last few days. I think I will take TDs with the family to make a call - the kids are sold over the captain seats and the pano roof. (sigh!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Harrier's quality of the hornpad itself will make it look like 2 segments below, forget above. Not to mention the creaking Handbrake lever or the interior roof light console .
Totally! I find that horn pad to be the one big sore spot in an other-wise upmarket-looking cabin. Even the Nexon one looks better (IMO)
kedar_GT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:05   #52
BHPian

Quote:

Yes SUVs drive very differently and in all likeliness far better than tarmac hugging sedans, and Tata has come a long a way, the Harriers cabin is easily comparable to cars from two segments above.
No offence but, SUVs do drive differently than sedans, where one has the leverage to jump over breakers at high speeds, glide over potholes just for the sake of not hitting the brake pedal, are these good driving habits?? As we all bhpian's might have read here on this forum that breakers are there for a reason, bad roads means you must be careful because tackling bad roads at high speeds will have impact on the mechanicals of the car.

SUVs are meant for off-roading, but those are proper 4x4 SUVs, here we are discussing about pseudo SUVs with power in front wheels only, and people buy these just to give them license that they own a SUV, but it's not an proper SUV.

I don't know why but the present trend is to buy an SUV be it any segment. We all know Indian road conditions are not that great, but not that bad which makes you feel you are off-roading. And if someone feels like he is off-roading instead of being on a proper highway, means he has no proper prior route planning, which is the heart of any successful road trip.

I can agree with the argument, that I want a SUV stance because it's easy to get-in/get-out for elderly people, or my personal choice is SUV-ish stance, or I like the high and upright seating in an SUV, or any other reasonable point.

But SUV's driving dynamics being similar to Sedans is not possible, or else we would have been watching formula-1 races in SUV's with 200mm of ground clearance
any23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 11:16   #53
Senior - BHPian

There is only one feeling I get when I drive (and I drive a lot) my girlfriend's (dad's) 2019 Octavia 1.8TSI (L&K). I WANT THIS CAR. Every single time. I have never experienced a car as good as this at this price point. I can imagine what the upcoming model can be and I am only looking at this. A 2L 188BHP engine.

How I wish I could chuck the idea of buying an SUV and go for this.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
Agree with you. Moreover, a gear selector lever is more convenient to use than a knob in heavy traffic conditions where you would be repeatedly shifting from neutral to drive and vice versa.
Why would you want to do that? Just use the brake to stop and go. Why disturb the gear lever? If you want to take your foot off the brakes, use Auto Hold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Attachment 2135088

Is this design about “Form over Function”?

‘P’ button at the top - electronic parking brake or the parking mode switch?

Toggle gear switch in center - looks like it is meant to move longitudinally between ‘R’ and ‘D/S’. How do you move this toggle switch latitudinally, to shift to Manual / Tiptronic mode (assuming there is one in this setup)?
Paddle shifters for Manual, I'm sure? But the 'P' button is an interesting question.
cpabhijit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:27   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
This comment is much more suitable to YouTube than Team-BHP.
Let's be more polite towards fellow members, especially new ones

Quote:
I don't really see any merit in say "upgrading" a 15 year old Alto to the current generation Datsun Redigo.
I understand your viewpoint, but given the way how prices have appreciated in the past few years, particularly in premium/ luxury segment. It may not be possible for everybody to move to the next higher category, which technically for civic means superb. We also don't know either if the member had bought Civic brand new at first place or as a pre-owned.

But it's Ok to express your views

Last edited by Turbanator : 23rd March 2021 at 15:28.
Turbanator is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:41   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Let's be more polite towards fellow members, especially new ones

As you are our resident BMW expert, is the new Octavia a worthy replacement to a F30? I have a 6 year old F30 with 40,500 kms on the odometer. No complaints with the car but it lacks a few gizmos or important tools such as reverse parking camera. I love everything about this car, its size and road manners. I am an extremely occasional spirited driver (prefer track to race) and most of the time very sedate. Or, the upcoming 5 is a better choice; cost notwithstanding.
vivekshukla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:48   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekshukla View Post
is the new Octavia a worthy replacement to a F30? Or, the upcoming 5 is a better choice; cost notwithstanding.
Confession - I have never owned Skoda or cars from any VW group companies (except for 7 day ownership of a V8 - Q7 if that counts but that's a story for another day) I also handled scrapping of one of our directors superb due to engine/ gearbox failure but beyond that, I haven't been to Skoda dealerships in a while.

It will be better if I don't express my views on a Skoda thread

Regarding 5 series, It's my favorite and you cannot go wrong with either outgoing one or the new LCI. One of my knowns, picked 530I in carbon black at 65 Lac OTR Gurgaon with 3 Year service pack, if that helps.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st March 2021 at 08:45. Reason: Typo.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
It will be better if I dont express my views on a Skoda thread

Regarding 5 series, It's my favorite and you cannot go wrong with either outgoing one or the new LCI. One of my knowns, picked 530I in carbon black at 65 Lac OTR Gurgaon with 3 Year service pack, if that helps.
A subtle advice cannot be more explicit than this. Thanks, much appreciated.
vivekshukla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 16:02   #59
BHPian

Quote:

I understand your viewpoint, but given the way how prices have appreciated in the past few years, particularly in premium/ luxury segment. It may not be possible for everybody to move to the next higher category, which technically for civic means superb. We also don't know either if the member had bought Civic brand new at first place or as a pre-owned.

But it's Ok to express your views

This is exactly the dilemma I am in. Most of our cars are now nearing a decade of ownership and the 2 or 3 workhorses we have are all over 1L km now.

I've been looking at a decent replacement for my Dad's Pajero Sport and I was horrified to see that GLCs and X3s are about 70-80 odd Lakhs OTR while the Fortuner is pushing 50. We will either need to evaluate our budget and comfort zone expenditures or accept that whatever we buy will be a downgrade. God knows what I will end up replacing my Jetta with. I might just keep her another few years, nothing feels like it is worth the money. I was hoping to get a 330i, but at 60 Lakhs, It is way more money than I can justify. Maybe the Octavia is the ticket, we'll see.

Last edited by imp! : 23rd March 2021 at 16:06.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 16:53   #60
BHPian

Is definitely a fantastic looker and if priced below 30L OTR will be a fantastic buy....However i do sincerely hope the 187BHP 2.0tsi from the superb is offered as an option.

Globally the 1.0tsi and 1.5tsi are the only petrol engine options with 2.0tsi reserved for the VRS . Given the absence of diesels from the portfolio, the 1.5tsi may put off some enthusiastic buyers...including me
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks