Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

I've been on the fence about upgrading my 07 Civic since a while now, and haven't been able to find anything compelling enough. This Octy seems like just the right package, if it's priced in 22-23L price range.
armaan_singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 13:02   #32
BHPian

Though this ticks a lot of boxes and is drool worthy, I feel it won’t do much to revive the d- segment. While time will tell, Skoda with its ASS and it’s horror stories still in the mind of buyers, I doubt if it will be able to cross over from the initial fad to incremental sales.
Old 22nd March 2021, 13:10   #33

This Model is definitely going to make a mark in the segment between 23-28 lacs. Considering the pricing is set accordingly.

We desperately need a vehicle which can cater to previous Accord customers.
tusha0410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 13:17   #34
BHPian

Just looks stunning. Can't wait to get my hands on this beauty. Looking forward to owning this beauty in the next two years.

With regards to Skoda's after sales services, I frankly feel they have improved a lot. My Rapid is into it's fourth year and I haven't had any issue with the service so far.
Satish Pari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 13:33   #35
BHPian

I hope that they price the car right to save this segment.
A 2.0L diesel engine should also be brought because with 2L tsi and 187 bhp we can't expect much mileage in city use.
The centre console looks very clean and up market.
Jatin247 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 14:27   #36
BHPian

The new car definitely looks sharper and beautiful. But the design of the alloys will take some time getting used to.
Old 22nd March 2021, 15:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshbids View Post

Ride-by-wire (drive by wire) has been present almost everywhere for ages. All common rail diesels and all TSI/TGDi engines work on drive by wire systems. You might be referring to shift-by-wire that is used here with the toggle switch.
Are you sure? Do yo mean to say common rail diesels do not have a throttle cable?
Old 22nd March 2021, 16:05   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Are you sure? Do yo mean to say common rail diesels do not have a throttle cable?
Yup. Common rail diesels have a sensor on the accelerator pedal which feeds the pedal position the ECU. In fact, there is usually no air throttling in Diesel engines at all, although some newer engines have added throttle valves for the purpose of EGR. Even those throttle valves are electronically actuated and not linked to the pedal.

In-fact, as the high pressure fuel pump and the injectors are all electronically controlled, there is nothing for a mechanical cable to do.
niteshbids is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 16:20   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Attachment 2135088

Is this design about “Form over Function”?

‘P’ button at the top - electronic parking brake or the parking mode switch?

Toggle gear switch in center - looks like it is meant to move longitudinally between ‘R’ and ‘D/S’. How do you move this toggle switch latitudinally, to shift to Manual / Tiptronic mode (assuming there is one in this setup)?
Agree with you. Moreover, a gear selector lever is more convenient to use than a knob in heavy traffic conditions where you would be repeatedly shifting from neutral to drive and vice versa.
Old 22nd March 2021, 19:13   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by armaan_singh View Post
I've been on the fence about upgrading my 07 Civic since a while now, and haven't been able to find anything compelling enough. This Octy seems like just the right package, if it's priced in 22-23L price range.
I don't think the Octavia will be a worthy "Upgrade" over the civic. For that you can consider the Superb. Also investing this much money in a Sedan is no longer worth it. I strongly suggest you invest in a Harrier or a Safari for real upliftment.
Old 22nd March 2021, 20:55   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaurDiCar View Post
I don't think the Octavia will be a worthy "Upgrade" over the civic. For that you can consider the Superb. Also investing this much money in a Sedan is no longer worth it. I strongly suggest you invest in a Harrier or a Safari for real upliftment.
Driving a sedan is vastly different from driving a 'SUV'. Also Skoda fit and finish vs a Tata?
nidhikapoor is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 21:26   #42
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Scenario 1-

Let us assume that your logic is true and no car in the same segment can be a 'upgrade' over any other car of the same segment(currently available cars or the cars of past). So what makes you say that a Harrier or a Safari would be a 'real upliftment'? Just because they are SUVs? What kind if logic is that? The Harrier and the Safari both belong to the D1 segment only. It maybe your personal opinion that sedans are not worth it anymore but everyone is entitled to his opinion and if someone thinks that another sedan is gonna be an 'upgrade' for him, then he is a hundred percent right in assuming so. Heck, even I would prefer an Octavia over the Safari anyday of the week.

2. Scenario 2-

We do not assume that your logic is true. Why do you think that a car of the same segment can't be an upgrade? Yes, technically speaking, it is a 'lateral upgrade' but an upgrade nonetheless, especially if it is a 15 year old Civic vs an all new Octavia. Heck, this car is gonna be an upgrade for the current gen Civic and Elantra owners as well as long as they are willing to adopt the brand Skoda.

In either scenarios, the new Octavia is going to be a huge upgrade over the 2007 Civic. I would also call the Safari and the Harrier an upgrade as well but to a much lesser extent that the Octavia.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th March 2021 at 05:21. Reason: Let's keep it cordial
AYP is online now   (28) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 21:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
2. Scenario 2-

We do not assume that your logic is true. Why do you think that a car of the same segment can't be an upgrade? Yes, technically speaking, it is a 'lateral upgrade' but an upgrade nonetheless, especially if it is a 15 year old Civic vs an all new Octavia. Heck, this car is gonna be an upgrade for the current gen Civic and Elantra owners as well as long as they are willing to adopt the brand Skoda.

Well to each their own but I don't really see any merit in say "upgrading" a 15 year old Alto to the current generation Datsun Redigo.
I don't have an issue with the decision as much as I have with the word "Upgrade" because it really isn't.

And I suggested SUVs keeping in mind the market trend (resale value) as well as Indian road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Driving a sedan is vastly different from driving a 'SUV'. Also Skoda fit and finish vs a Tata?
Yes SUVs drive very differently and in all likeliness far better than tarmac hugging sedans, and Tata has come a long a way, the Harriers cabin is easily comparable to cars from two segments above.

Last edited by manson : 22nd March 2021 at 23:28. Reason: Back to back posts.
KaurDiCar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
and Tata has come a long a way, the Harriers cabin is easily comparable to cars from two segments above.
No, it isn't. Harrier cabin's fit and finish is not even comparable cars like Creta and Seltos which are a segment below.Creta and Seltos have a better put together and better looking cabin than Harrier. Even fit and finish is a tad better in these cars. If we start comparing Harrier to cars which are segment above like Superb and Compass, the difference is like night and day. Harrier has a lots of things going for it but cabin quality is not one of them.

Last edited by Zodak : 22nd March 2021 at 22:18.
Zodak is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 22:17   #45
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well to each their own but I don't really see any merit in say "upgrading" a 15 year old Alto to the current generation Datsun Redigo.
These are different cars and will warrant a different response. Generally speaking, a 15 year old newer car of the same segment will be much better than the older car. Exceptions will be an absolute rarity. And the 2021 Octavia vs 2007 Civic is not even close to being an exception.

Quote:
And I suggested SUVs keeping in mind the market trend (resale value) as well as Indian road conditions.
In that case, you could have advised him that. Maybe in a different thread where he would have asked us for our opinion.

And the way you said it after negating the fact that the 2021 Octavia is not an upgrade over the 2007 Civic didn't make it appear that way. Especially when all of them belong to the same segment.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't have an issue with the decision as much as I have with the word "Upgrade" because it really isn't.
So now combining the above new statements of yours with your previous post, 'you mean to say that no car of the same segment can be a 'true upgrade' over an older car unless it is an SUV?' Sounds ridiculous.

Last edited by AYP : 22nd March 2021 at 22:42.
AYP is online now   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed