Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2021, 18:36   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
For the first time - I actually felt that this car would need a wheel replacement!

Sudarshan-Chakra Or Mixer-grinder blade. These are the only 2 things that are coming to mind whenever I see these new alloys. Why Skoda?
Ha ha ha... That's true. Due to Indianisation objective, starting from name like "Kushak" are being searched and used. So maybe "Sudarshan Chakra" design might have been thought as more appealing to India.
Karvel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 19:06   #182
BHPian

Re: Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We were supposed to drive the Octavia this week, guys! Sadly, the drives got cancelled due to the even-sadder 15-day lockdown in Mumbai. Guess now the earliest we'll drive the car is in May.
That’s unfortunate but sort of expected. My dealer called yesterday to say he’s expecting a delay in getting stocks as well. Given the inordinately long wait I suppose those of us who’ve been desperately waiting this long will just have to hold on patiently for a bit more.

Edited to add: Delay in receiving stock of their display and test drive units.

Last edited by RoadTrippin : 14th April 2021 at 19:07. Reason: Edited for clarity.
RoadTrippin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 20:28   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
If the tyre size is the 'standard' VAG size of 205/55/16.
The L&K is getting 17 inchers. Lower variants will get 16s.

Scoop Pics! 4th-gen Skoda Octavia showcased in India-a2926ac822b745b592a360ed6002c87b.jpeg
Source: Skoda UK
CEF_Beasts is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 20:55   #184
BHPian

Holy smoke Batman! Ahhh!! My eyes, my eyes. Cannot unsee those rims! Why Skoda, why? Those rims look like they're from cheap Chinese vegetable slicer.
yd_gli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 21:32   #185
BHPian

Give a powerful engine and reliable gearbox combo - we complain about the alloys and tyres.

Given the alloys and tyres and sunroof and wireless charging - we complain about lack of engine and gearbox combo.

Guess we are all perennially dissatisfied?

For a sedan lover, Octavia and Superb are a DELIGHT. Let us cherish it and hope it becomes a success! Look forward to the pricing and reviews. Game on!
TokyoDrifter is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 14th April 2021, 21:47   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We were supposed to drive the Octavia this week, guys! Sadly, the drives got cancelled due to the even-sadder 15-day lockdown in Mumbai. Guess now the earliest we'll drive the car is in May.
Do you know if the launch is getting delayed too? Any chance of a digital launch event in end of April?
Old 14th April 2021, 22:25   #187
BHPian

For sure I'm excited, but don't you all think that at 30L (expected on-road) the 2.0 TSI L&K would be too close to the Superb? Even more so when substantial discounts will start rolling in on the latter.
Old 15th April 2021, 06:08   #188
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
For sure I'm excited, but don't you all think that at 30L (expected on-road) the 2.0 TSI L&K would be too close to the Superb? Even more so when substantial discounts will start rolling in on the latter.
In Bangalore the superb is 41 to 44 lakhs on road.
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 08:34   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Which would you guys recommend? And, if one wants to upsize a bit?
P4ST is excellent but life is 40k to 50k max. Road noise is very low for the initial 20k, then starts increasing. For the first 20k, the car is on a dream run I used to positively compare the ride of my Corolla to coming close to that of the Camry!

I did upsizing on my old i20 and Civic - IMO normally going two sizes up on width and one size down on aspect ratio works well. Example: upsized 185/65/R15 to 205/60/R15 for a gain of approx 5.5mm ground clearance which is negated to some extent by the softer sidewalls of the Michelins. Impact on speedometer accuracy is also low.

This website is excellent for comparing tire sizes and my go to place for any such data.
reppy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 09:03   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
In Bangalore the superb is 41 to 44 lakhs on road.
In places like NCR, you could get a sportline variant for 34-35 lakhs after discount. IMO one who can spend 30 Lacs on a car can mostly spend 35 too.
Lowflyer23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 10:08   #191
BHPian

Clean and timeless design as expected from VAG Group. Designer of the alloys certainly deserves a 'special' award (unable to fathom how they cleared this design for the final production spec car). Skoda historically comes up with the best designed alloys. This aside, I think the 1.5 TSI will be the ideal engine for this car. Hope they price it well.
anuragbagur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 10:18   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
In places like NCR, you could get a sportline variant for 34-35 lakhs after discount. IMO one who can spend 30 Lacs on a car can mostly spend 35 too.
I think they'll still maintain a healthy 6-8L price difference between the Octavia and Superb depending on Road tax etc in states.
But more importantly, they are for different usecases. You get the same engine+gearbox+features(almost) in either car. If you want a car that's partly self driven + partly chauffeured, then Superb makes sense. If it's mainly self driven, Octavia makes sense. You gain a lot of rear space with the Superb but will give up a fair bit on the handling and agility of an Octavia. So make a call depending on one's actual requirements. IMHO, can't really go wrong with either. I have a 2020 Superb and if not for the fact that I needed backseat comfort for 50% of the time, I would blindly pick the Octavia irrespective of cost savings (or not).

I am so excited to see Octavia come with the 2.0TSI. This feels somewhat like the launch of the first gen Octavia when it came and redefined what 'performance' means for its segment. Should be a stonker of a car and with that updated DQbox, will have a lot of mod potential too. Good on Skoda/VW to bring their full array of turbo-petrols to India. Can't think of a better time for enthusiasts.
niranjanrvce is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 10:35   #193
Senior - BHPian

Lovely clean understated Euro design marred by the horrid and tacky alloy design. Would have also much preferred an all black interior, they look so much classier than the beige combo that seems to keep hitting the Indian market. A three spoke steering would also have been a better choice.

Eagerly waiting for performance reports of the 2 liter tsi. Should be a fast car, this.
Old 15th April 2021, 10:43   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Add an easy 50K for a set of proper tyres like the PS4, P4ST or UC6. Who in their right mind specs a Euro saloon with GOodyear TripleMax tyres?
In a recent conversation with the SA came to know that Skoda have some kind of contract with Goodyear tyre for their cars. Seems like companies have focused heavily on cost optimization wherever possible.

No surprise that I received my Skoda Rapid with Goodyear's most basic DP-series tyres back in 2018.
any23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2021, 11:50   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
I think they'll still maintain a healthy 6-8L price difference between the Octavia and Superb depending on Road tax etc in states.
But more importantly, they are for different usecases. You get the same engine+gearbox+features(almost) in either car. If you want a car that's partly self driven + partly chauffeured, then Superb makes sense. If it's mainly self driven, Octavia makes sense. You gain a lot of rear space with the Superb but will give up a fair bit on the handling and agility of an Octavia. So make a call depending on one's actual requirements. IMHO, can't really go wrong with either.
But in India, cross-shopping is mostly done on the basis of price range and size of the vehicles and not the use-case of the buyers. IMO, Skoda should position the Octavia 2.0 TSI L&K at not more than 28L on-road.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks