Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you find sunroof as a feature desirable?
Yes! Sunroof will strongly influence my buying decision 340 29.80%
Not really. Even if a car has sunroof, I'll keep it closed. 329 28.83%
Indifferent about sunroof / Not important 472 41.37%
Voters: 1141. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2023, 12:30   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?

I have had two cars with Sunroof so far and the usage of the roof for sun/ view has been about 1 hour in 5 years. It unfortunately comes as default in many mid/ top variants and this should be optional frankly. Of course, there is no excuse for shoddy workmanship in any part of a car.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 12:39   #227
BHPian

Voted "Not important".

Yes, its lifts the ambience inside the car when visiting a hill station in winters on a clear day, and also on rainy days with only the blind open. Otherwise in all other cases its not useful and most owners will forget that this thing is even present in the car.

I guess all OEMs test the car for water leakage/sealing before it is dispatched to the dealer? How much water pressure can these windows and sunroof beading take? Heavy rain and 150 ft. waterfall have highly different water pressure and water leakage is expected under a waterfall. But what about a pressure washer? Can it cause water leakage thru the sunroof? Does any manufacturer provide guidelines as to how much water pressure these sunroofs can take without leakage?
Old 5th March 2023, 12:22   #228
BHPian

I think we should have one more option.

Sunroof : No because it reduces the structural integrity of the roof.

In a rollover accident or a head-on collision one is better off with a metal roof overhead
Old 5th March 2023, 12:53   #229
BHPian

I voted third option - indifferent. Almost all cars with ventilated seats by default come with sunroof!

When i was looking to buy a AT petrol crossover car (midsize , greater than 4m) , the feature I was actually looking at was ventilated seats, and the feature I was actively trying to avoid was turbocharged engine.

Reason - 99% of my annual drive is within city limits, and turbo engines are fuel guzzlers in City traffic. Ventilated seats because i live/drive in a extremely hot humid city.

Only cars that would fulfill these criteria (AT crossover >4m, NA petrol , venti seats) were XL6 & Hyryder strong hybrid) ! Selected Hyryder hybrid V which came with a panoramic sunroof. Don't use it at all.
baarish84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 17:36   #230
BHPian

I am looking to buy the Scorpio-N Z8L Diesel Automatic Variant and somehow that dainty sunroof could have been avoided . A car like Scorpio-N is far better without a sunroof in any scenario IMHO .
Old 2nd May 2023, 13:25   #231
BHPian

No voting rights, however, here is my opinion in favour of Sunroof.

1. Motion sickness - We went to buy a car with panoramic sunroof, trust me, I have horrible motion sickness and can never be a passenger in a car. The genetics played their part, and my kids also suffer from motion sickness. With just the sunroof shade open without the glass opened, the car feels very roomy and airy, one very critical factor to reducing motion sickness. Plus, eyes have more visual reference and cause less motion sickness. I have more motion sickness in Volvo bus that non-ac state transport buses, partially due to suspension setup, but an important factor is the openness of red state transport buses (Maharashtra).

2. Cars with panoramic sunroof are still safer than an open Thar or Jeep that people rave for.

I never allow kids to poke their head out from sunroof when car is in motion, and they also feel it’s not safe.

I don't think car manufacturers consider motion sickness performance of their cars during design or manufacturing. An Innova with ladder on frame is a no-go vehicle for me, a stiffer monocoque design is good for preventing motion sickness.

I wish they add g-force meter in car to measure the rocking and rolling of car and provide a real time update on "how am I driving" to prevent motion sickness. Did I just give an idea to Tata/Mahindra of next tech to be added to car and market it as a premium offering? I will fall for this kind of marketing.

Just yesterday I drove up Ambenali ghat (Poladpur to Mahabaleshwar) with sunroof shade (only) open. It’s a very long ghat (~40 km), however at the end of it my passengers were not complaining about motion sickness. Of course, I drove very sedately and had partial medication support.

Sunroof with light coloured seats is a combination that is working for me to reduce motion sickness. Now where can I find a car with panoramic sunroof with very light interiors, monocoque chassis and can seat 7 people? Bingo! Tata Safari XZA+ Adv it is.
IAmGroot is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 06:13   #232
BHPian

I like sunroofs but not regular sized sunroofs. For me, it’s either panoramic sunroof or no sunroof. My previous car Mazda 3 had regular sized sunroof and I never liked it. Recently bought Kia Forte to replace Mazda 3. Only major differences between mid variant and top variant were sunroof and leather seats. But top variant had only regular size sunroof. So, bought mid variant.
So, voted for the third option in this poll.
Bhalla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 15:07   #233
BHPian

I personally am not in favour of Sunroof. But, that apart sunroof is being pushed on top variants and there is no option of not having it.

Tata introduced Sunroof variants in Altroz but now has discontinued some variants leaving only Sunroof variants in higher variants XZ+, XZ+ (O).

Hyundai Exter has provided Sunroof in SX, SX(O) variants and there is just no option to have without it. Same issue I see in Brezza ZXI, ZXI+.

I am looking out for NSR (no sunroof) + 6 Airbags + Petrol Automatic. There are very few choices available: Kushaq Style, Grand Vitara Zeta. Hoping some manufacturers make 6 airbags available from October (though rule is not effective). Tata still not offers 6 airbags in Punch, Altroz & Nexon. Hyundai Creta/Seltos IVT variants are upwards of 20L OTR. Fronx AT variants went into mid SUV price zone.

Last edited by anthusiast : 24th July 2023 at 15:19. Reason: added more
Old 24th July 2023, 16:00   #234
e46
BHPian

Voted indifferent/ not important. This feature comes last in my priority list!

I also dislike touch HVAC control, which seems to creep among many cars these days.
Old 24th July 2023, 16:02   #235
BHPian

Voted Yes.

I'm always a firm believer in getting a car/bike with top specification, don't like to do any modification, like to keep the car in stock condition. Normally as seen nowadays the cars with top spec are generally provided sunroof.

Also really wanted to experience driving in the rain and seeing raindrops splatter on the roof above. But alas, missing this small joy as most of the time it is driven by me.

Last but not least kids really love it.

ps: I always keep the sunroof closed, only open the liner/curtain for the view above.

Last edited by Vasuki : 24th July 2023 at 16:05.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 16:40   #236
BHPian

I am buying a car with sunroof not because i need it , but there is no choice left. Auto makers should give it an option in their variant list rather than making mandatory in top versions.
bullboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 09:45   #237
BHPian

Personally, it's the most useless feature. But it's forced down as part of the top-of-the-line version of any particular car. I always go for the topmost version because of all the safety features available, and sunroof comes with it. It's always shut in my car.
Old 25th July 2023, 14:55   #238
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Im going to be a bit of a turn-coat. Originally voted that I am not really bothered about sun roof.
Yes this may not really influence my purchase decision (but I am not in the market for a new car right now any way.)
Saying this, there is definitely a certain joy in open-top motoring. This is why the next best thing is a sun roof.
At least in the hills and in ‘pleasant-weather’ cities like Bangalore on weekends or on highway drives.
If manufacturers make it optional, it will be a good thing.
Incidentally, I am toying with the idea of fabricating a new soft top for my soft top Gypsy and if I do so, I want to create a rectangular ‘sun-panel’ above the front 2 seats, which can be pulled closed and locked with zip fasteners for the most part and opened, rolled and secured, with a couple of straps when it is in use. A similar concept as the rear panel.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks