Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you find sunroof as a feature desirable?
Yes! Sunroof will strongly influence my buying decision 340 29.80%
Not really. Even if a car has sunroof, I'll keep it closed. 329 28.83%
Indifferent about sunroof / Not important 472 41.37%
Voters: 1141. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2021, 11:07   #16
BHPian

re: Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I personally have not owned a car with a sun roof so am pretty neutral about it. I guess it would be one of those 'nice to have' things that come with modern cars. If you have a car with one, you in all probability will want all your future cars with it, if you don't have one it will not be a deal breaker for the next one.
Very well put.
The owners who had the infamous rattling sunroofs might not be so hot for one in their next ride though
BackInTheFold is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 11:29   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Without a Panoramic Sunroof it can no longer be a premium vehicle, that much is now added to customer expectations.

Not many manufacturers would make cars for someone like me, basic rugged machines without much electronics, I'm okay if the next purchase comes with a sunroof , however if there is an option to delete it, I'm all for it, that to me is one less thing to worry about.
Kosfactor is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 12:53   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Don’t think the sunroof has any practical application in a country like India - except perhaps in North Indian winters when letting the sun in through the glass may be nice. But it does have a great feel good factor - and keeping the roof open with the glass shut while driving in the evenings makes the drive a much more pleasurable experience. Similarly, in the Bombay monsoon, watching the rain beat down on the glass roof can be nice.

The only place where I have kept sun roofs open is on hill roads - eg Chorla and Amboli on the way to Goa, and the on the roads around Pawna. Keeping the roof open anywhere else is asking for Carbon Monoxide poisoning from surround trucks. Of course sun roofs are oft misused - every time I see a kid standing on the arm rest with its head out of the sun-roof, I feel like giving the driver a mouthful - even if I have never actually done the same.
Hayek is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 12:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
It's a desirable feature to have. Helps ambient light in, elevates your mood, makes the car airy. Is it a required feature? No. But then nor do we need led headlights, mood lighting, music systems, giant touchscreen controls, internet inside or rear seat video screens.
I second your thoughts
Although I am not a fan of this feature, it is definitely a desirable feature for many. Sunroof is one such feature in a car, that even the lesser informed folks are aware of. They prefer calling it "top open"
Whenever someone buys a million rupee car, on quite a few occasions, I have seen and heard people enquiring the car owner if the car has "top open" feature! Sunroof equates to luxury for quite a few people. Nothing wrong or right about it, after all it's a personal choice in the end. What's wrong though is, peeping out through the sunroof in a moving car on public roads.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 13:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

What was available for free in abundance some 20-30 years ago, now, we are trying to buy them with huge money and call them happiness or luxury.

The above statement may appear off-topic but, it is not.

When we walk on streets hours together, it goes unnoticed. If we walk on treadmill, it is called walking and good for health.

When we get wet in rain and enjoy nature, which is free, it is forgotten. But we pay 1000s of rupees and do rain dance in resorts.

Playing kabaddi, tug of war, khokho and many other local games which taught us teaming, is out of memory. Today we go to team outing with corporate colleagues and play same games in a different version and pay lakhs together to learn teaming.

Going in bullock carts and enjoying the Sun roof that was available free has been forgotten. We pay premium and get cars with sunroof call them luxury.

Saga continues.....

I have no craze for a car with sun roof because I have got 100 times more happiness when I rode on bullock carts in my village on those village roads especially during sun set times. And same happiness when sitting in a double trekker bus in front row of first floor. What an experience it is. Just unforgettable.

What is the message here: We have enough happiness around us that is available for free. But, when someone sells the same thing at a premium, we notice them and strive to purchase them.

Last edited by gkveda : 21st March 2021 at 13:31.
gkveda is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 13:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

What is especially annoying is that you cannot buy a high end vehicle without a sunroof anymore. If you want a BMW, Merc, Audi, Volvo, Lexus, RR, Jaguar, etc. I believe only the base Q2 can even be specced without a sunroof. Even in the 10L plus segment, if you want things like six airbags, you must almost always get a stupid glass roof with it.

I like the feeling of a solid metal roof over my head, especially in the off chance that I am in a rollover crash. I like not having my aircon work extra hard in the summer. I like not having to bother with leaks, cleaning the sunroof drains and all that.

It's highly annoying that our market has this obsession now and I really hope that this fad goes away in a few years.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 13:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Interesting arguments here!

Never had a sunroof equipped car and am not inclined to get one in the future because it's yet another feature than can fail/rattle.

To all those who open it to let fresh air in- how different is it when compared to opening your regular windows? If I'm not wrong, the regular windows can pull in more air right? What exactly is different? It's a genuine question since I haven't travelled long enough in a car with sunroof yet.

Won't argue about a sunroof making the ambience more lighter. That's a positive! Also, are kids less prone to motion sickness in cars with sunroof?
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 13:56   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, apart from the AC (In India at least) and a wishful 5star safety rating, there would be nothing more that should be needed in a functioning car, would there?
I mean, as an instance, why would you need a stereo? It's just sound that can hide horns or other warnings. And even if you do have one, why a touchscreen? That's just calling for trouble.

Last edited by mayankk : 21st March 2021 at 14:02.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 14:54   #24
BHPian

In my opinion, sunroofs are dangerous accessories for little kids and immature adults. They stick out heads literally anywhere on the road and cause potential harm to themselves.

Although, I must say that I love pano roofs. The experience of airiness and the light entering the cabin in a car equipped with this is a very enjoyable one. It does carry the risk mentioned above, but, If car makers provide a fixed glass roof, it would be sweet.

Single pane sunroofs are meh, according to me.
Babruvahanaaaaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 15:23   #25
BHPian

I've been driving cars with a sunroof for the last 10 years now. Perhaps I've been fortunate, but I've never had it fail or rattle.

I would divide sunroofs into two categories: (1) Regular sunroofs and (2) Panoramic sunroofs. Neither of which make any difference for me as the driver, however if I were travelling in the back seat, having a panoramic sunroof makes a huge difference in terms of making the cabin feeling more "airy". Regular sunroofs are alright, but nothing that would make me opt for or out of buying that model.

The fact of the matter is that the part of India in which I live is burning hot for 9 months of the year and is terribly polluted when it gets cooler.
Old 21st March 2021, 15:30   #26
Team-BHP Support

Mod note: Added poll, please vote!

Little bit of trivia: Skoda Octavia L&K variant (Rs. 13L) and Chevrolet Optra 1.8 LT variant (Rs. 10L) were probably the first mainstream cars to offer sunroof, way back in the year 2004.

Last edited by SmartCat : 21st March 2021 at 15:33.
SmartCat is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 15:57   #27
BHPian

I do not really care about sunroofs. I would buy a car even if it does not come with one. Sunroofs are kinda pointless for me. Even if my car had one , I would never use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
[i]

Little bit of trivia: Skoda Octavia L&K variant (Rs. 13L) and Chevrolet Optra 1.8 LT variant (Rs. 10L) were probably the first mainstream cars to offer sunroof, way back in the year 2004.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ytK7Me9EkTs
I believe the Opel Astra club came with a sunroof back in the year 2000.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 16:32   #28
BHPian

Had a Laura 1.9 Pump Duse with Sunroof owned by extended family, which was with me for about 2 years. Other than to show it off to friends, and to trick myself in to believing that it indeed is very useful, I don't remember using it at all.

Downsides- Leaks and issues with the motor as the car aged.

Last edited by xjosephjacob : 21st March 2021 at 16:37.
xjosephjacob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 16:35   #29
BHPian

I am neutral about sunroof. It is good if you get it in a car that you are buying (for other, more important reasons). But I would not shortlist a car just for sunroof. To put it better, if a car I am buying, is giving a sunroof as optional by paying, say 5K more, I won't pay extra for it. If I have it, I would be happy, if not, I am equally happy.

I find it rather annoying therefore, when Venue SX model comes with a sunroof but no rear wipers. (just an example, not pointing out this particular car only. Hyundai overall does this).
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 17:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

I'd love to have a sunroof in my car. Keeps the cabin airy, brings in fresh air when driving in the hills and the kids just love watching the stars at night during a drive. If at all a debate on do we need sunroofs, then do we need DRLs?, do we need large touchscreens? Don't they divert a drivers attention elsewhere? Practically, they have no use too. We don't need LEDs as well, they actually don't serve a great purpose and instead trouble the drivers coming in the opposite direction.
Raghu M is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks