Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Do you find sunroof as a feature desirable?
Yes! Sunroof will strongly influence my buying decision 340 29.80%
Not really. Even if a car has sunroof, I'll keep it closed. 329 28.83%
Indifferent about sunroof / Not important 472 41.37%
Voters: 1141. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2021, 17:33   #31
Team-BHP Support

re: Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?

My daughter isn't that age where she'll have opinions about such things and drive the decision so, as of now, I can be pragmatic. My cars don't have the sunroof but I've travelled in cars which do and it didn't warm the cockles of my heart that much. Also, if I do consider a sunroof, I'd want the panoramic moonroof and not that a foot and half wide, excuse of a sunroof that most cars have.

+ Will make the cabin seem roomier
+ Watching the rain fall down on the glass will be immensely poetic

- My OCDish nature will go in overdrive every time the sunroof is open (I resist driving with windows rolled down)
- Will make the cabin hotter, on most days of the year
- You'll have to ensure the glass is clean (the roof isn't the car washers' best friend)
- Dust/leaves etc could clog up the drains
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 18:16   #32
BHPian

Voted "Not really".
I hate driving with the windows rolled down, so, I doubt I would enjoy driving with a sun roof open.
And, I'm also of the general opinion that each joint is a potential point of failure in the future. So, I have a preference for minimal joints/pieces to make up a unit (reliability scores high on my needs).
For these two reasons, I would not prefer cars with sun-roofs.
Cheers!
FlashMustang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 18:37   #33
BHPian

The case of sunroofs is very much like DRLs, it's not of much use for us, but they are one of the most talked of features often (DRLs had their craze few years back until they became ubiquitous).
The funny thing is that both are very European concepts and had a practical use in that climate where visibility in foggy rainy environments and lack of sun for many days/weeks/months are points of consideration.

In Indian context, apart from one positive to make the interiors look bright and airy and for their snob value, a sunroof serves not much practical purpose (my opinion only).

So for me, if I am searching for car, sunroof won't be a feature I am searching for, but once the car is finalized, if a variant with sunroof is in my budget, I won't mind getting one only for it's benefit of making the interior airy and bright (ofcourse a panaromic one helps).
Old 21st March 2021, 18:49   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Its NO from me and I am indifferent to such invasive and unsafe options in any car. There are quite a few threads where the matter has been discussed. Even in the developed West where sunroofs are a necessity at times, has come down heavily on the safety issues with these options, though a majority of cars sold there are with sunroofs. The car becomes structurally unsafe and even leakages and rusting are reported in many cases. These are unsafe, when occupants pop out their heads from these sun-(killer) roofs. Also passengers not belted, especially on the front seats, even when seated, can be thrown out of the sunroof in case of impacts or if the car topples over.

Of the many threads here, these discuss the perils and tragedies with sun roofs.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ed-manjha.html (Child pops head out of the sunroof; killed by manjha!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ion-risks.html (Rollover accident: Sunroof ejection risks)

Something to cheer-up sun-roof lovers:-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...ually-die.html (Gujarat couple use sunroof to come out of drowning Mercedes, but eventually die)

Water leakage problem:-

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...lt-royale.html (Sunroof / Water leaking problem in 2007 Optra 1.6 LT Royale)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 21st March 2021 at 18:53.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 18:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Voted “Yes” even though I have opted for a car that does not offer sunroof at all.

Sunroof is a “good to have feature” for me but not must have.

If I am caught in a situation where I have to choose between two equally capable cars having reasonably similar pros and cons, I’d consider the one with a sunroof any given day.

But, I will never choose a car just because it offers a sunroof over other must have features such as reliability (Topmost), safety, good and reasonably priced service back up, space and some must have convenient features such as auto AC, android auto/carplay, cruise control, power windows, rear defogger wiper, steering controls, reverse camera, electric foldable mirrors and remote locking.

The car that offers sunroof will usually have all the convenience features that I have listed. So, I guess RSSS (reliability, safety, service and space) are the four things I will consider before opting for sunroof.

Edit- The poll could have split the “Yes” option into two. e.g.
1. Yes- I will consider sunroof strongly over other aspect (space, service etc.)
2. Yes- I will consider sunroof strongly provided important things (space, safety, service etc.) are sorted
3. Not really...
4. Indifferent...

Would be interesting to see how strongly can sunroof influence the buying decision over space, safety etc.

Last edited by PaddleShifter : 21st March 2021 at 18:57. Reason: Typo
Old 21st March 2021, 19:23   #36
BHPian

Although aesthetically very pleasing, I'm indifferent to Sun / Moon roof - panoramic or otherwise. Functionally, in my experience and use of them, they really do not offer much value.

If one purchases new cars and keeps them for <7-8 years, it may still be alright to have the sun/moon roof...maintenance and hassle-wise speaking.

If one is getting a used car, these features are best avoided. One might run into additional noises, poor insulations, leaky plumbings, rust, etc.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 19:38   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Sunroofs and DRLs are two features that are not really required in a country located geographically like ours.

While some have a valid point that it increase ambient light, I have not found that to be a problem in my cars so far, and can live without it. I hope the feature is made optional and not fixed one for a trim level.

Btw, to make the DRL issue worse, manufacturers have moved to cool daylight type, though the regular 4300K lighting is much better.
condor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:04   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?

In my books, every expensive car and top variant of mainstream cars absolutely must have a sunroof. Heck, forget regular sunroofs, I'm now pushing for panoramic roofs that are even bigger on the wow factor.

- I love driving with the sunroof open late at night, and early in the morning.

- It's a superhit with the kids. Even if they sit properly without poking their heads out.

- On our driving holidays to hill stations, sunroofs are used liberally.

- Owned 4 cars with a sunroof. No rattling or leaks in any of them. Period.

- They have a marketing advantage & do sell cars. Am sure thousands of Hectors & Cretas have sold solely because the panoramic sunroof took the customer's breath away!
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:34   #39
Senior - BHPian

Voted yes! I am all in for better engineering vis gizmo/ornamental features, with the exception of panoramic sunroof.

Pano sunroof actually enhances your driving experience since the thrill of driving with sunroof open (glass part always closer so kids can’t pop their head out) is amazing!
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:51   #40
BHPian

Voted indifferent. I do love a sunroof in my car as it increases the sense of airiness of the cabin, especially in cars with dark interiors, but it's not a deal breaker for me, just something nice to have. If I had to choose between a car which had a sunroof but did not have one or two of my must haves and a car which did not have a sunroof but had everything else I required, I'm choosing the latter anyday.
Old 23rd March 2021, 12:52   #41
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not a fan of sunroofs for cars in India because our weather and pollution situation doesn't make it nice to use unless one is far away from crowded places and roads and probably lives in the hills (otherwise regular usage would be low/rare). It's also a safety hazard in our country with most children and even their parents seemingly unaware of the safe usage of sunroofs. Sticking the head out of sunroofs while the car is in motion (obviously not belted) is a scary scene that plays out quite regularly on our roads and I get petrified, but it does seem like a lot of fun for those doing it as well as aspirational for bystanders who view this and they'd love to do it someday too

*Few years ago, I'd experienced a ride on a friend's Range Rover and simply loved it's panoramic moonroof, I thought it's a much safer and nice to have feature for a car in India.

Last edited by NPV : 23rd March 2021 at 13:01.
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:24   #42
Team-BHP Support

Voted - Yes.

I used to be completely indifferent to a sunroof but I have grown to really fancy pano sunroofs since the last car I purchased.

I would go to quite some lengths to ensure my next car has a pano sunroof. I doubt I'd ever open the window itself but really like the idea of sitting behind with the window visible right through. Makes for some really nice night driving I feel.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 15:42   #43
RJK
Senior - BHPian

My take is that the sunroof is useless in Bombay city, atleast. Way to much dust to keep it open. However I like the bright and airy feeling with just the roof closed but the internal cover open. Our new car has it but I never open it for more than 5 mins within the housing complex itself.

I would love it if I get the glass roof minus the retractable mechanism (which is a potential leakage/stuck/failure point anyway).
RJK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2021, 16:37   #44
BHPian

I usually keep the Sunroof closed, can't drive at highway speeds keeping it open. Unbearable road and wind noise enters cabin. Inside city limits, again external noise is a major issue and direct sun from top causes irritation and distraction. One useful thing is sunroof can provide very good view for taking photos of sceneries around ( when parked).

Last edited by nandrive : 23rd March 2021 at 16:42.
Old 23rd March 2021, 17:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

I like sunroofs. In the UAE I use it only for 3 months owing to the harsh sun. In India I'll keep the glass portion on, and just stare at the trees

Most Viewed