Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Do you find sunroof as a feature desirable?
Yes! Sunroof will strongly influence my buying decision 340 29.80%
Not really. Even if a car has sunroof, I'll keep it closed. 329 28.83%
Indifferent about sunroof / Not important 472 41.37%
Voters: 1141. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2021, 10:41   #91
BHPian

Re: Sunroof : Yes please or No thanks?

I love the sunroof but against the tide the smaller one instead of Panoramic. The reason the shade of panoramic sunroofs are thin (they need to roll instead of slide) which cause light to come in harsh sun cases.

Now coming to usage, India is a big country and whenever I am spending longer time in Himachal home I open it almost every time (Fully, partially or in Ventilation mode). Once I was driving with my son and there was hailstorm and my sun loved all those ollas falling on the sunroof as if they are going to hit us. This alone made it worth it.

Also, when I am in Gurgaon I only use to cool the car when parked under the sun or in evenings when weather permits or air is nice but I do open the shade every now and then as in night street lights present a good night show.

I have found a quite a lot of utility in the sunroof to be honest.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th July 2022 at 14:21. Reason: Minor typo.
Mountainman21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 10:50   #92

I rarely open my windows in Bangalore traffic so opening sunroof is out of question. I open windows only when I have to go uphill when A/C needs to be turned off. I think ventilated seats have better utilization in Indian weather and traffic than sunroof. I personally will not buy a car with sunroof.
Old 26th March 2021, 11:25   #93
BHPian

I booked a car recently and the following criteria were communicated by my Home Minister:
  1. Fully automatic
  2. Sunroof
  3. Infotainment
  4. All other modern features
I added my list of criteria to the above list:
  1. Compact SUV
  2. CVT/DCT Gearbox
  3. Good reviews
By combining the above factors, the only options available were Hyundai Venue and Kia Sonet. I finally went ahead and booked a Venue (top-end was almost 1.7 lakh cheaper on road than Sonet with the same gearbox and similar features). If sunroof wasn't a criteria, I would have looked at Magnite/Kiger as well and saved almost ~3 lakh on road but when Home Minister wants a sun-roof, you make sure you get a car with one!
Varun_G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 11:41   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainman21 View Post
I love the sunroof but against the tide the smaller one instead of Panoramic. The reason the shade of panoramic sunroofs are thin (they need to roll instead of slide) which cause light to come in harsh sun cases.

I have found a quiet a lot of utility in the sunroof to be honest.
I've a creta with panoramic sunroof, the shade is quite thick. I've driven in scorching afternoon sun of March, no light came inside the cabin. It's hard to tell there's sunroof behind that shade, obviously the cut out tells it is there, but you get my point

I'm waiting for monsoon to come, so that I can enjoy this feature to it's fullest ! So far I'm using it to cool the car and to impress (cough show off) my friends
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2021, 12:32   #95
BHPian

I think the sunroofs, especially the panoramic roofs elevate the ride experience for the rear seat occupants when you hit the country side. The golden hours during the sunrise/sunset brings the natural light in and to me it's the nature's own mood lighting! If you have kids along, I am sure they'd love this when you are on a green trail. Btw, none of the cars I owned had one and it was/is not a deal breaker for me. But, I'd love the panoramic roof when I hit the woods.
Old 26th March 2021, 14:40   #96
BHPian

I keep my windows up almost always. It keeps my interiors mostly clean, smelling good, and dust-free! I do open the windows slightly below the window visor lines, intermittently, to let in fresh air during long drives, or amidst heavy traffic to better hear the environment around me. The only time they are down entirely are when paying tolls, cleaning, or driving on a lovely dust-free/ moist road (like after a rain).

So, I have no use for yet another window on the roof! On my bike rides, I have had paan-spit, bird-droppings, garbage from trucks fall on me. I wouldn't want the same happening in my car. Therefore, no sunroof for me, thanks!
Old 26th March 2021, 18:57   #97
BHPian

I never owned a car with a sun roof but I am big fan of it. I feel it would be one of those 'nice to have' things. It gives an opportunity to get some good feel of fresh air. My junior is also demanding for a car with sunroof
Old 26th March 2021, 19:51   #98
BHPian

Bangalore City is full of Dust-Cement-Smoke mostly windows is up with AC and Car Air Purifier so SunRoof is an absolute waste of money for city driving

Only when we drive to countryside with fresh air outside Bangalore then only SunRoof has any use

Cannot pay few lacs extra for sunroof which maybe only used couple of times
Old 26th March 2021, 19:57   #99
BHPian

Good to have as a novelty but I would rather see that money going in implementing extra safety features.
Old 26th March 2021, 20:38   #100
BHPian

I desired a sunroof badly. I almost got one installed aftermarket on my City. Thankfully, my wife stopped me.

The only reason I got the L&K version of the Octavia and not the Style was because of the sunroof. I didn't care much about the other extra features.

Initially it was fun. But since it's either hot or polluted most of the time, I rarely get to open it. And since I always sit in the front, I don't get to see through it. On long drives despite the tint that claims 70 or 80% heat rejection (I don't remember) it would feel like a hot lightbulb near my head forcing me to wear a cap inside the car and recently getting sunfilm installed on the sunroof !

I'd prefer my next car to not have a sunroof.
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 00:25   #101
Senior - BHPian

Well for me sun roof wouldn't affect my buying decision with regards to the car, however if I have zeroed in on a vehicle which has the option of sunroof in the higher variants, I guess I would go for the one which has.
Saying that I will never open the glass for sure. So even if you give me just a glass roof with the sliding manual shade, and charge me less, I am more than fine with it.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 27th March 2021 at 00:32.
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 01:00   #102
BHPian

Given a choice I would prefer not have a sunroof. Infact everything else being same, I would pick up the variant without sunroof even if at the same price. I don't see it being of any practical use, other than showing off with kids standing through them. This for me is a dangerous thing and hence would want to avoid sunroof as much as possible.
sameerg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2021, 01:04   #103
BHPian

I love sunroof it will help in dissipating hot air extremely quick. Almost with in a minute of drive the whole cabin air is recirculated.
Old 27th March 2021, 01:15   #104
BHPian

I believe we shouldn't dismiss Sunroofs entirely. They do serve some purposes despite the climate prevailing in the majority of the country.

They do help in dissipating heat much faster than windows.
The tilt feature can help keep the car cooler when parked. (Dust and Vandalism to be considered)
If you live or frequent hill stations or coastlines, they do help elevate the experience specially incase of panoramic sunroofs.

Downsides being the associated maintenance costs, excess weight, prone to electrical failure and misuse by passengers.
Old 27th March 2021, 09:07   #105
BHPian

I'll say that I am neutral about Sunroof.

During purchase process even I was stuck for a while due to decision dilemma regarding sunroof or not. It was practically 1.5 lakh (XZA+ vs XZA) difference, which is a huge sum.

Brain said XZA but daughter, spouse and heart said XZA+

So booked it, though the only thing I desired as must was IRVM which wasn't available in XZA.

In India I don't think sunroof is required and what I fear most is someone after enjoying his Paan trying to spit it out while sitting in bus.

Most Viewed